How Should Lakers Fill out Roster Around James and AD? (P. 2)

Lakers Forum » Lakers News
Author Search This Topic:
 
kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14360
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

Ray wrote:
If we don't play AD at center, then I feel like Kuzma will have to go to the bench. I don't think the Lakers are going to do that. I don't think Kuzma would be very good playing 2 and chasing around all these small 2 guards running off screens full time.

Personally I rather have Kuz coming off bench anyway. And read where AD has already said he doesn't want to play at 5. Guess we'll find out how that goes.

Lakers2019
votes: 0
NewsSurge Newbie
Posts: 16

PG: Patrick Beverley, Darren Collison, Rondo, Corey Joseph, Elfrid Payton, Ricky Rubio, Trey Burke

Wings: JJ Redick, KCP, Danny Green, Terrence Ross, Wesley Matthews, Rudy Gay, Trevor Ariza, Jeremy Lamb, Reggie Bullock, Rodney Hood, Wayne Ellington, CJ Miles, Seth Curry, Wilson Chandler, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, DeMarre Carroll, MKG

Bigs: JaVale McGee, Brook Lopez, DeAndre Jordan, Mirotic, Morris twins, Faried, JaMychal Green, Nerlens Noel

Some solid wing options, but not too many PGs. Beverley, Ross, and Ariza would be some nice signings. I hope we bring back McGee as well.

rdg0917
votes: 4
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1381
Location: North Carolina
us.gif

My wish list:

Collison/Caruso

Bullock/Ross

Lebron/Kuzma

AD/Mirotic

Lopez/McGee

Don’t know how we got get money to work. Caruso and McGee are minimum deals. We can sign Bullock over the cap. So can Ross, Collison, Mirotic, and Lopez split our remaining salary? Maybe if we get it up towards the max...

rdg0917
votes: 4
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1381
Location: North Carolina
us.gif

I’d love to get Beverly too but don’t know how much money these guys are looking for.

PurpNGoldcity
votes: 0
NewsSurge Newbie
Posts: 35

If i was filling out the roster these the players I’ll go after

1.Malcolm Brogdon FYI shot 40% from deep

2.Brook Lopez

3.jj Redick

4.trevor Ariza

rdg0917
votes: 4
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1381
Location: North Carolina
us.gif

Kyle Korver was just traded to the Grizzlies and is likely to be waived. Thoughts?

lake24show
votes: 7
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1176
Location: Nebraska
us.gif

rdg0917 wrote:
Kyle Korver was just traded to the Grizzlies and is likely to be waived. Thoughts?

If he gets waived it is almost a guarantee that he comes to us. He has a great relationship with Lebron and he is chasing that ring.

Shepherd
votes: 55
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 11041

ez.gif
I guess. Younger shooters would be better than the over-the-hill gang coming in for their last hurrahh. I wanted Korver 10 years ago. What's his numbers look like now? One thing is he'd be cheap. Not many writers in the league are expecting Plinker to be able to finish the job of assembling a team. Let's hope they're wrong. Atm this is all we have... Here are the six players the Lakers have signed for the 2019-20 season. LeBron James Salary: $37,436,858 Anthony Davis Salary: $27,093,019 (assuming it goes through) Moe Wagner Salary: $2,063,520 Kyle Kuzma Salary: $1,974,600 Isaac Bonga Salary: $1,663,861 Jermerrio Jones Jones has one year left on his deal with the Lakers, but the Lakers would have to exercise their team option for Jones to return. Minus Jones, the total is $70,231,858. Projected Cap is $107mill. Not including AD's $4mill trade kicker, it leaves $36,768,142. As per https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/06/lakers-roster-with-anthony-davis Unless my calculator is wrong (or does the $5mill owed Deng still count against the cap?) The Lakers are now reportedly pursuing Walker, with Irving rumored to be set on signing with the Brooklyn Nets. Giving Walker max money to become Los Angeles' starting point guard would leave us with just the $4.7-million mid-level exception to use on a starting two-guard. Mid-level targets for Lakers: SG JJ Redick SG Terrence Ross SF Trevor Ariza SG Wesley Matthews SG Reggie Bullock Signing any of the options listed above would add a legitimate 3-and-D threat to the Lakers, giving the team the spacing it needs for James and Davis to dominate. Ross is a reasonable option, but he'll likely opt for a slightly bigger payday. Matthews, meanwhile, has been adamant about wanting to play a bigger role in....

Lakers2019
votes: 0
NewsSurge Newbie
Posts: 16

Korver would be solid, can't complain for shooting at the minimum. If we did get a third star, players would be more convinced to sign cheaper deals here. And if we do not get that third "max" player, fine, we have enough to spend on good role players so either way it seems like a solid path. Lakers reportedly have interest in Horford and I'm not sure how i feel about that.

Ray
votes: 25
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1686
Location: Ray

To me this 32 million that we could potentially get to spend, needs to spent with no over paying, we already have 2 top players, we don't need to over spend on 3rd star. Which means the only player I would spend on 32 million on is KL. No other player on the market is worth 32 million considering our position of already having 2 top guys. Sure if we didn't trade for AD, then I would be more okay with max out a few other guys to get that 2nd star.

So if KL tells us no and we end up with 32 million and 4.8 million MLE, here is what I would do.

Beverly - 10 million

JJ Redick - 10 million

Seth Curry - 6 million

Marcus Morris - 6 million

Rondo - MLE

Javale - Vet Minimum

I am not sure if Javale would take a vet minimum again this year, he may get a few offers. But I feel like all the other pricing I have listed are pretty close to what those guys will get. Morris may get a little more as well I guess.

Ray
votes: 25
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1686
Location: Ray

Shepherd wrote:
I guess. Younger shooters would be better than the over-the-hill gang coming in for their last hurrahh. I wanted Korver 10 years ago. What's his numbers look like now? One thing is he'd be cheap. Not many writers in the league are expecting Plinker to be able to finish the job of assembling a team. Let's hope they're wrong.

Atm this is all we have...

Here are the six players the Lakers have signed for the 2019-20 season.

LeBron James

Salary: $37,436,858

Anthony Davis

Salary: $27,093,019 (assuming it goes through)

Moe Wagner

Salary: $2,063,520

Kyle Kuzma

Salary: $1,974,600

Isaac Bonga

Salary: $1,663,861

Jermerrio Jones

Jones has one year left on his deal with the Lakers, but the Lakers would have to exercise their team option for Jones to return.

Minus Jones, the total is $70,231,858. Projected Cap is $107mill. Not including AD's $4mill trade kicker, it leaves $36,768,142.

As per https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/06/lakers-roster-with-anthony-davis

Unless my calculator is wrong (or does the $5mill owed Deng still count against the cap?)

The Lakers are now reportedly pursuing Walker, with Irving rumored to be set on signing with the Brooklyn Nets.

Giving Walker max money to become Los Angeles' starting point guard would leave us with just the $4.7-million mid-level exception to use on a starting two-guard.

Mid-level targets for Lakers:

SG JJ Redick

SG Terrence Ross

SF Trevor Ariza

SG Wesley Matthews

SG Reggie Bullock

Signing any of the options listed above would add a legitimate 3-and-D threat to the Lakers, giving the team the spacing it needs for James and Davis to dominate.

Yes Deng's 5 million is still against our cap. If you read anything from all the major "CAP" analysis, the very most cap we can create is 32 million and we would only have Lebron Kuz and AD on our team at that point.

lake24show
votes: 7
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Age: 32
Posts: 1176
Location: Nebraska
us.gif

Ok so i read on an article that there is another path the lakers can take to making this deal happen and also get a MAX slot. The article said that the lakers can sign all of their free agents using their current cap room BEFORE the trade is pushed through. Meaning we act like Lonzo, BI and Hart are still on our team. Which means we have $65,813,315 on the books and would have $43,186,685 in cap room then add in any cap holds we might hold onto such as Bullock. I am also not sure how the 4th overall pick would work if that has to be apart of our cap room to sign them or not? i would assume we can go over the cap to sign them because how else do the other teams do it that are over the cap. So if this scenario is true then we would have bullock on a cap hold then go over the cap after making the trade and signing all of our players first. Sign a MAX level star or multiple mid tier guys to fill out the rest of the money. Then we would push the trade through after signing the players then would use the room exception to sign somebody else for around 4 million and finish out the roster with any 2nd round picks we might pick up and vet minimum contracts. I am pretty sure this is one of the paths the lakers are looking at doing. Sounds like it is something that can be done, i wouldn't see why not. Anybody have any insight if this is possible? I have been combing through the internet to find out what all of our options are out there.

Ray
votes: 25
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1686
Location: Ray

lake24show wrote:
Ok so i read on an article that there is another path the lakers can take to making this deal happen and also get a MAX slot. The article said that the lakers can sign all of their free agents using their current cap room BEFORE the trade is pushed through. Meaning we act like Lonzo, BI and Hart are still on our team. Which means we have $65,813,315 on the books and would have $43,186,685 in cap room then add in any cap holds we might hold onto such as Bullock. I am also not sure how the 4th overall pick would work if that has to be apart of our cap room to sign them or not? i would assume we can go over the cap to sign them because how else do the other teams do it that are over the cap. So if this scenario is true then we would have bullock on a cap hold then go over the cap after making the trade and signing all of our players first. Sign a MAX level star or multiple mid tier guys to fill out the rest of the money. Then we would push the trade through after signing the players then would use the room exception to sign somebody else for around 4 million and finish out the roster with any 2nd round picks we might pick up and vet minimum contracts. I am pretty sure this is one of the paths the lakers are looking at doing. Sounds like it is something that can be done, i wouldn't see why not. Anybody have any insight if this is possible? I have been combing through the internet to find out what all of our options are out there.

The CBA makes this all tricky and what you said above is kind of correct for the most part. If Pelicans won't push back the deal and we have to finalize AD on the 6th, then the Lakers have to find a 3rd or 4th team to join the trade. That 3rd and 4th team would be taking on the salaries of Wagner / Bonga / Jones. By sending out those 3 salaries as part of the bigger deal, we would open up 32 million in cap that we would need to spend on July 6th as well. We would have to decline Bulllocks option before all this could happen, as well so he is gone as well to make this happen.

Ray
votes: 25
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1686
Location: Ray
So this is as clear as I can make what the Lakers are currently trying to to get a Max deal on July 6th, since Pelicans do not want to do us any favors and push it back 30 days. We will still need their help to adjust the trade to a 3 or 4 team, because in multiple team trades every team has to do some kind of transaction with every team. So Pelican would have to send out "Fake 2nd round pick" to the 3rd or 4th team. From my understanding this was discussed and Pelicans would do this for us, for the simply fact that if they want to trade that 4th pick we are giving them, they need us to help them do that in the same way. SO HERE IS ALL THE DETAILS OF THE NEW WAY TO GET A MAX SPOT: A few things to remember:
    There is a charge of $897,158 of every empty rooster spot up to 12 spots. In regards to determining a team Salary Cap.
    A draft pick doesn't count as salary to trade with until they are signed and then you must wait 30 days to trade after they are signed.
If AD Waives his Trade Bonus, Lakers only have to send out 21.5 million to match salaries with him. We would be acting like a team over the cap, so we only have to match 80% of AD's pay which would be 21.5 million. We would be acting like a team over the cap, because we will sign all of our FAs on July 6th before we make the trade for AD including Vet minimums. So here are the players we would be sending out to match AD's 21.5 million (after we sign our FAs)
hogball
votes: 3
Casual Laker Fan
Posts: 119

The FO headed by Pelinka who is a lawyer knows the rules regarding the cap. They have long prepared to handle this situation and they have solutions on this cap problem. Only the media which now become a pseudo-financial analyst experts has been coming out with unconfirmed reports on this topic which most of them are fake news that they invent to make them relevant. The FO does not give any statement yet the media keep on pounding this news. How can you believe on these news when Chris Paul and the Rockets itself was recently became victims of this fake news.

userpete1037
votes: 18
LNS HOF Platinum
Posts: 20326
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif

^^^

It's just the world we live in. Great theater.

suntzu619
votes: 6
Laker GM
Posts: 2599

Its pretty evident that Pelinka made the trade and didn't think about the cap situation. I really don't see any team helping us let alone if there is a market for Bonga Wagner and Jones. I think Rob played us. For him if he does clear the needed cap soace then he looks like a genius and all is good. If he dosent clear the cap space then he is the one who brought AD to LA. Win win for him.

TimmyDoe
votes: 22
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1580


Repped High Quality Post

hogball wrote:
The FO headed by Pelinka who is a lawyer knows the rules regarding the cap. They have long prepared to handle this situation and they have solutions on this cap problem. Only the media which now become a pseudo-financial analyst experts has been coming out with unconfirmed reports on this topic which most of them are fake news that they invent to make them relevant. The FO does not give any statement yet the media keep on pounding this news. How can you believe on these news when Chris Paul and the Rockets itself was recently became victims of this fake news.

Because it’s evident without reports that Chris Paul and Harden has issues. Rob clearly didn’t realize the implications of making the trade that didn’t set us up properly with many around the league unanimously saying we gave up too much in addition to not having the cap space available according to our plans. It’s just easy to see.

Rob is a rookie, it shows. He shouldn’t have this job, and thus far he’s showing that he’s a lot worse a rookie GM than Luke as a rookie head coach. Of course we can only hope for the best as Laker fans. Rob, id like to add, was only a player-agent, he knew only how to take money from teams. A lot different than being the team managing that money

lake24show
votes: 7
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Age: 32
Posts: 1176
Location: Nebraska
us.gif

TimmyDoe wrote:
Because it’s evident without reports that Chris Paul and Harden has issues. Rob clearly didn’t realize the implications of making the trade that didn’t set us up properly with many around the league unanimously saying we gave up too much in addition to not having the cap space available according to our plans. It’s just easy to see.

Rob is a rookie, it shows. He shouldn’t have this job, and thus far he’s showing that he’s a lot worse a rookie GM than Luke as a rookie head coach. Of course we can only hope for the best as Laker fans. Rob, id like to add, was only a player-agent, he knew only how to take money from teams. A lot different than being the team managing that money

There is a mixture of reports out there. Some are saying that it was part of the deal for lakers and pelicans to revisit the trade once they were able to find takers for the 4th pick and other assets. So let’s just wait it out for now and see how things turn out first before jumping to the worst case scenario. If it turns out these reports are correct and Rob screwed this all up then it will be time for a huge bashing session of how much an idiot he was. But for not I’m going to be optimistic and hope there has been a plan in place all along. I’ve been reading a lot of different reports that there are several ways to get to a max slot. So since there are some many conflicting stories I’m just gonna wait it out for now.

TimmyDoe
votes: 22
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1580

lake24show wrote:
There is a mixture of reports out there. Some are saying that it was part of the deal for lakers and pelicans to revisit the trade once they were able to find takers for the 4th pick and other assets. So let’s just wait it out for now and see how things turn out first before jumping to the worst case scenario. If it turns out these reports are correct and Rob screwed this all up then it will be time for a huge bashing session of how much an idiot he was. But for not I’m going to be optimistic and hope there has been a plan in place all along. I’ve been reading a lot of different reports that there are several ways to get to a max slot. So since there are some many conflicting stories I’m just gonna wait it out for now.

I agree. It’s just damn convincing given the evidence thus far and with Ramona (reliable source, especially with the Lakers) being the one to come out and say that Rob actually messed it up and is now exploring other ways to free up cap space, it lines up with everything that’s happened thus far. In fact, he very well may go back to the Pelicans and David Griffin will be kind enough to work with us and all is well after, without making apparent that Rob actually did mess up. Even if Rob messed up we won’t ever get anyone from the Lakers saying publicly he did.

But I’m also just hoping for the best as I’ve said. I’ll never think Rob should have been hired but I’m rooting for him to do us right, we’ll see how everything goes down.

lake24show
votes: 7
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Age: 32
Posts: 1176
Location: Nebraska
us.gif

TimmyDoe wrote:
I agree. It’s just damn convincing given the evidence thus far and with Ramona (reliable source, especially with the Lakers) being the one to come out and say that Rob actually messed it up and is now exploring other ways to free up cap space, it lines up with everything that’s happened thus far. In fact, he very well may go back to the Pelicans and David Griffin will be kind enough to work with us and all is well after, without making apparent that Rob actually did mess up. Even if Rob messed up we won’t ever get anyone from the Lakers saying publicly he did.

But I’m also just hoping for the best as I’ve said. I’ll never think Rob should have been hired but I’m rooting for him to do us right, we’ll see how everything goes down.

I know it is extremely hard to tell what is the actual case because i have seen credible people on both sides of saying that there was contingency plan in place and other saying there wasn't. So who knows until it actually happens.

Shepherd
votes: 55
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 11041

ez.gif

Well Rob was hired, I recall very well, at the time with the declaration he was a CAP expert. One of the best. Since the Lakers don't have a CAP expert on staff, as most teams do (another FO screw up), Rob was meant to cover a lot of bases. Clearly this was an exaggerated claim. But as you all have said, we'll have to wait and see if he's able to pull a rabbit out of a hat. But Ramona and others have adamantly said the last cple days that Rob screwed up. Which is fine, btw, as long as he stands up and says so and reimburses the Lakers for the mistake to the tune of $4mill! LOL yeah right. If only.

Lots of rumors out there. One is that we get Al Horford on a 4 year $100mill deal. Which would work even if our CAP is reduced. Would anyone be upset by that? We'd one hellova big front court and spacers galor among them who can all shoot decently from deep. A big 3 if you will. However, we still end up with no PG lol. So we get a mid-level or room exception point guard? And then vet min's the rest of the way? In a guard driven league?

I like Al, wanted him some years ago in fact. They keep bringing in players a few years past when I thought we should. I don't know enough about him. Is his D good? Is he a rim protector? Would he be worth the coin vs trying to bring back Lopez or some such for far less dosh?

Also it seems like Irving is headed to NJ. Not sure we can even afford DRuss anymore (ironic isn't it?).

And btw. look how LITTLE Utah got dinged for getting Connelly. Why is it other teams get good deals on top players and we pay through the nose? Ughhhh....

Ray
votes: 25
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1686
Location: Ray

Shepherd wrote:
Well Rob was hired, I recall very well, at the time with the declaration he was a CAP expert. One of the best. Since the Lakers don't have a CAP expert on staff, as most teams do (another FO screw up), Rob was meant to cover a lot of bases. Clearly this was an exaggerated claim. But as you all have said, we'll have to wait and see if he's able to pull a rabbit out of a hat. But Ramona and others have adamantly said the last couple days that Rob screwed up. Which is fine, btw, as long as he stands up and says so and reimburses the Lakers for the mistake to the tune of $4mill! LOL yeah right. If only.

Also it seems like Irving is headed to NJ. Not sure we can even afford DRuss anymore (ironic isn't it?).

And btw. look how LITTLE Utah got dinged for getting Connelly. Why is it other teams get good deals on top players and we pay through the nose? Ughhhh....

Personally I believe Pelicans just said no we want the deal done on July 6th, we want our pick to play in summer league and there is no benefit for us to wait 30 days. We managed to keep Kuzma in the deal, so maybe the Lakers just had to agree to July 6th to get AD and worry about the rest later. Once a team says yes to a deal for AD you just accept it and worry about the rest later and I think that's what happened.

Al Horford is not worth 100 million, especially for us, the only guy we should give max would be Kwahi, we can't afford to use this cap space to over spend on players. Also Conley is over paid, that is why they didn't get much for him. Both Hordofrd and Conley over paid when you look at their stats and their age, both are over 30.

30 million - Horford: 13ppg / 7reb / 4ast / 1blk

34 million - Conley: 21ppg / 3reb / 6ast

We gave up a lot for AD who is 26 in his prime, who will likely avg 30ppg / 12reb / 4ast / 2.5blk next year with us, while only making 27 million.

lake24show
votes: 7
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Age: 32
Posts: 1176
Location: Nebraska
us.gif

Shepherd wrote:

And btw. look how LITTLE Utah got dinged for getting Connelly. Why is it other teams get good deals on top players and we pay through the nose? Ughhhh....

Actually the Jazz gave up quite a bit considering the amount of his salary and the fact that he has been very injury plagued lately. They essentually gave up 3 1st round picks. They gave up Grayson allen which was their 1st round pick from the year prior, then their 1st for tonights draft and then another 1st rounder. On top of that they had to give up to key role players for them last year in Korver and Crowder. In my opinion they overpaid. Now do i still think it was a great trade for them? I actually do as long as he is healthy he is a great fit for that team. But still was a lot to give up considering everything.

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14360
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
Shepherd wrote:
Well Rob was hired, I recall very well, at the time with the declaration he was a CAP expert. One of the best. Since the Lakers don't have a CAP expert on staff, as most teams do (another FO screw up), Rob was meant to cover a lot of bases. Clearly this was an exaggerated claim. But as you all have said, we'll have to wait and see if he's able to pull a rabbit out of a hat. But Ramona and others have adamantly said the last cple days that Rob screwed up. Which is fine, btw, as long....

lake24show
votes: 7
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1176
Location: Nebraska
us.gif

I know this won’t be popular with some on here but Carmelo will more than likely be coming to us this year for a bench role. And I am one of the few who think it’s a good idea. If it was for a starting role then I would say no way. But you can’t get much better than a pure scorer like Carmelo on your bench.

lake24show
votes: 7
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1176
Location: Nebraska
us.gif

kkennon1 wrote:

That is exactly the type of reports that I have been seeing around the league. Worst case scenario we don’t get a max free agent. Which wouldn’t be the worst thing really. We would be able to go after Beverley and some other guys his talent to fill out the roster!

BaadMaster
votes: 98
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8628

Watching the criticism of Plinko on this thread is amusing. How many young top-tier free agents in their prime were available? Exactly TWO. And we got one of them -- and the younger one at that. It's easy to gamble with other people's money.

But what if Rob Lowe held out for a better deal and we lost AD? Would we then be stuck with the ole Banana Boat with CP3?

Yes, we might have overpaid. Sometimes in life you overpay for things you want really badly.

Bottom line (so far): We have AD, we got rid of LaVar Ball, we kept Kuzma and said goodbye to "Mr. I can never make a clutch three" Josh Hart. As to Mr. Skinny, maybe he will be a star, maybe not. But AD is one -- you can take that to the bank!

Shepherd
votes: 55
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 11041

ez.gif
kkennon1 wrote:
Very interesting indeed. Someone on the radio yesterday, broke it down and said LA had a quasi manager in the system of sorts who was their go to CAP guy, but who wasn't really on the level of the other team's dedicated experts in house. I was going by that statement in deducing they don't have a proper CAP guy. I wonder why the conflict in info. I'm also not sure who to believe. Some guy on Twitter, or the radio pundits. And if this guy was there for some time, I'd have to question either his ability, (was....

Esquire
votes: 0
Casual Laker Fan
Posts: 53
Location: Chicago

lake24show wrote:
Actually the Jazz gave up quite a bit considering the amount of his salary and the fact that he has been very injury plagued lately. They essentually gave up 3 1st round picks. They gave up Grayson allen which was their 1st round pick from the year prior, then their 1st for tonights draft and then another 1st rounder. On top of that they had to give up to key role players for them last year in Korver and Crowder. In my opinion they overpaid. Now do i still think it was a great trade for them? I actually do as long as he is healthy he is a great fit for that team. But still was a lot to give up considering everything.

3 1st rounders for Conley who is 31 year old point guard...That is still pricey...

userpete1037
votes: 18
LNS HOF Platinum

Posts: 20326
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif

lake24show wrote:

I know this won’t be popular with some on here but Carmelo will more than likely be coming to us this year for a bench role. And I am one of the few who think it’s a good idea. If it was for a starting role then I would say no way. But you can’t get much better than a pure scorer like Carmelo on your bench.

BIG3.....

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14360
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

Shepherd wrote:
Very interesting indeed. Someone on the radio yesterday, broke it down and said LA had a quasi manager in the system of sorts who was their go to CAP guy, but who wasn't really on the level of the other team's dedicated experts in house. I was going by that statement in deducing they don't have a proper CAP guy. I wonder why the conflict in info. I'm also not sure who to believe. Some guy on Twitter, or the radio pundits. And if this guy was there for some time, I'd have to question either his ability, (was he there when Kobe was signed for $25mil?), or his existence in the organization. Actually according to this list, of the entire staff of the Lakers, he just started this past season...

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams ... ff-members

Guess we'll see what he's made of. And an intern is not the same as a years on experienced person. Was he there when we got laughed out of the room for trading Zubak? Mhm...

Does it matter? Zu would be in New Orleans right now. Lmao

lakerdudeinindy
votes: 15
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1429

userpete1037 wrote:
BIG3.....

Honestly, with all the help we are going to need on the bench, if he accepts the vet min or not get crazy, I wouldn't mind having him off the bench. He has been humbled and the Lakers may be the best way for him to rehab his career and trend towards being a player that can be part of a winning team. Interesting....

JJCali
votes: 22
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8544

us.gif

Shepherd wrote:
Well Rob was hired, I recall very well, at the time with the declaration he was a CAP expert. One of the best. Since the Lakers don't have a CAP expert on staff, as most teams do (another FO screw up), Rob was meant to cover a lot of bases. Clearly this was an exaggerated claim. But as you all have said, we'll have to wait and see if he's able to pull a rabbit out of a hat. But Ramona and others have adamantly said the last cple days that Rob screwed up. Which is fine, btw, as long as he stands up and says so and reimburses the Lakers for the mistake to the tune of $4mill! LOL yeah right. If only.

Lots of rumors out there. One is that we get Al Horford on a 4 year $100mill deal. Which would work even if our CAP is reduced. Would anyone be upset by that? We'd one hellova big front court and spacers galor among them who can all shoot decently from deep. A big 3 if you will. However, we still end up with no PG lol. So we get a mid-level or room exception point guard? And then vet min's the rest of the way? In a guard driven league?

I like Al, wanted him some years ago in fact. They keep bringing in players a few years past when I thought we should. I don't know enough about him. Is his D good? Is he a rim protector? Would he be worth the coin vs trying to bring back Lopez or some such for far less dosh?

And btw. look how LITTLE Utah got dinged for getting Connelly. Why is it other teams get good deals on top players and we pay through the nose? Ughhhh....

Horford plays good D, but he’s anything but a rim protector.

JJCali
votes: 22
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8544

us.gif

kkennon1 wrote:
Does it matter? Zu would be in New Orleans right now. Lmao

You know, that’s actually a good point, had we not traded Zubac, he would’ve been an asset to include in the trade, maybe instead of Ball or Ingram. Who knows??

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14360
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

JJCali wrote:
You know, that’s actually a good point, had we not traded Zubac, he would’ve been an asset to include in the trade, maybe instead of Ball or Ingram. Who knows??

Doubt it, he probably would have been add on with them. But probably could have held back a pick.

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14360
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

Come on Rob, buy a pick or two.

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14360
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14360
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

Lol, Lakers can't catch a break.

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14360
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

lakerdudeinindy
votes: 15
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1429

kkennon1 wrote:

Would like to see them take Jontay Porter. Center from Missouri...

lakerdudeinindy
votes: 15
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1429

kkennon1 wrote:

Laker selected him...good call kkennon1.

TimmyDoe
votes: 22
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1580

THT looks like a nice 3nD guy with good instincts. But he looks painfully unathletic possibly because of his weight. Wondering if he can keep up with the NBA. Svi was pretty athletic but still struggled to keep up with the game as a rookie

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14360
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

TimmyDoe wrote:
THT looks like a nice 3nD guy with good instincts. But he looks painfully unathletic possibly because of his weight. Wondering if he can keep up with the NBA. Svi was pretty athletic but still struggled to keep up with the game as a rookie

Those stretch Armstrong arms will help. 7'1" wing span. Had luck with last pick at 46 in Clarkson.

Shepherd
votes: 55
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 11041

ez.gif

Suffice it to say Rob Lowe sucks at drafting. Among his other many non-skills...sheeesh...clueless...

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14360
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

Shepherd wrote:
Suffice it to say Rob Lowe sucks at drafting. Among his other many non-skills...sheeesh...clueless...

He's definitely a project but he also had 1st rd grades.

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14360
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14360
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

userpete1037
votes: 18
LNS HOF Platinum
Posts: 20326
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif

kkennon1 wrote:

He jumps about as high as Lavar Ball's middle son....lol.

lake24show
votes: 7
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Age: 32
Posts: 1176
Location: Nebraska
us.gif

Our new two way player!! He looks legit!


Options Quick Reply: RE: How Should Lakers Fill out Roster Around James and AD?
register
You are an anonymous user- or .
Quote the last message
Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)
Notify me when a reply is posted
Don't Check Spelling
Note: Twitter & Youtube BBCODE Tags are no longer necessary. The system will automatically convert links to tweets & youtube videos.
   


   
   
register
You are an anonymous user- Register now or Log in Now!