Magic Johnson Steps Down as Lakers President (P. 5)

Lakers News Surge Forum/Message Board » Lakers News
Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Search This Topic:
 
Skyeword
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 7524
Location: Atlanta
us.gif
votes: 68
"The Lakers had agreed to send their entire young core of Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart and Ivica Zubac to the Pelicans, as well as veteran guard Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, the people said.​ If all of this is true and Johnson really didn’t communicate the truth with Buss, then perhaps it’s for the best that he’s gone. It became clear after his resignation that making basketball decisions like these ones were destroying Johnson on the inside. [Year right] And if Johnson simply didn’t have the heart to do those things, then he has no reason to stay within the Lakers....


JJCali
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8543

us.gif
votes: 22

Listening to him defend his moves on First Take made me even happier that he was gone. I love how he used to criticize Jim Buss as an executive, but then his grand plan was the Jim Buss plan on steroids smh. We couldn’t keep Randle because that would derail us from chasing another superstar. We had to lose Russell because he broke the code... gtfo here Magic. Don’t come back.


Tempy
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12761
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif
votes: 51


Tempy
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12761
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif
votes: 51

JJCali wrote:
Listening to him defend his moves on Furst Take made me even happier that he was gone. I love how he used to criticize Jim Buss as an executive, but then his grand plan was the Jim Buss’ plan on steroids smh. We couldbe keep Randle because that would derail us from chasing another superstar. We had to lose Russell because he broke the code... gtfo here Magic. Don’t come back.

Exactly. There was no rush to get rid of the Mozgov and Deng contracts.


lakerdudeinindy
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1426
votes: 15

Tempy wrote:
Exactly. There was no rush to get rid of the Mozgov and Deng contracts.

No rush at all. A savy executive could have found another team to unload Mozgov on without parting ways with Russell, savy execs could have bought into the first round or maneuvered alot better then what Magic and Pelinka did.To this day still don't understand why Ryan West and the youngest Buss brothers were not elevated. Magic eluded to that in a way, but did not mention West. Makes me wonder if the FO is extending some WEIRD grudge against Ryan. The Lakers are going to look REAL dumb if he decides to leave for a better opportunity.

Magic and Pelinka played themselves and overestimated their "plan" and underestimated their jobs. Neither, had a real plan. It's painful to see that both of these guys messed up and it doesn't look like Jeannie cares.

I always felt that since she is the business side, her and her cronies don't care. Business-wise, the Lakers are truly what they like to say " We are the Lakers." and they still sell. ALL OF THIS mess is cliq bait on line, everyone is paying attention (negatively.) and the Lakers are the talk of the world. Jeannie as a business woman is eating this mess up. They STILL SOLD merch despite the foolishness, still on TV and still the Lakers.

With all this going on, Jeannie is not changing anything and because of the sad state of affairs, even if Vogel is able to glean some success out of this, there is always that feeling of what else is going to happen.


lakerdudeinindy
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1426
votes: 15
More Pelinka mess: “I thought it was telling that people in the organization, I think it was mentioned in the Spellman anecdote, that Rob will go and say to people ‘We’re making this decision and it’s because this player wants it or this agent wants it,’ and people had become so distrustful of him that they will literally go back to that player or to that agent and say ‘Hey, did this conversation ever actually happen? Did you say these things that Rob said you said? What was the context here?’ And I thought it was interesting, fact-checking the reasons behind....


FrankBecerra
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1452
Location: Staples Center
votes: 2

Hopefully Rob steps down next. Since it’s so well known about his lying will other teams feel comfortable working on trades with him?


userpete1037
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 19957
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif
votes: 18

FrankBecerra wrote:
Hopefully Rob steps down next. Since it’s so well known about his lying will other teams feel comfortable working on trades with him?

He doesn't have the cahunas to do that....lol. I don't think none of them care about his so called lying IMO.


Axle
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14942
Location: Axle
votes: 71

None of us know what actually happens behind close doors at the Lakers head quarters. Most of what I read is all pure speculation and the crying Magic has been spreading around First Take with Steven A Smith. I do believe that Magic did not spend much time in his office at Lakers head quarters because of all the other businesses he owns. He even admitted that, but he kept on saying that Perlinka had stabbed him in the back because he was the whistle blower that Magic was not doing much to help the Lakers. Then he wants to trade the whole team to the Pelicans for AD. That is what got Magic to resign because most of the Laker fans did not like trading away all the top draft picks they had worked so hard to get over the last few years. He was listening to LeBron and nobody else. Magic cut his own throat, not Perlinka.

According to what I have read Perlinka has lots of connections with other general managers which could help in getting some good talent. Mitch was terrible at communicating with other GM"s.

I was not in favor of letting Luke go, but Magic wanted him out because LeBron wanted Lue. I thought Luke was doing a good job considering he was actually developing several top draft picks to mesh in with older experienced players. And they were doing just fine, winning to where they were up around fourth place in the west, until the injuries, and the Magic fiasco hit the news. Then the young core lost interest on winning for the Lakers. And the loses started coming in.

Hope this summer all this will blow over and the Lakers keep most of the young players we have, they will be much better this year with the experience the acquired last season. Fill in the blank spots with good role players and maybe a super star in the mix to take this team to the promise land.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14295
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

That's funny Axle, all reports I've read say most GM'S and owners hate Rob.

And do you really think if Pels take that same trade, Rob and Lakers FO aren't going to do it. Lmao


Axle
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14942
Location: Axle
votes: 71

I do not think they will trade the whole team for AD. I say screw the Pelicans, and Pop of the Spurs. They hate the Lakers and have conspired to not ever let the Lakers be a dynasty again. Another one is the owner of the Cav's. They do not want to help us, so the Lakers should do the same for them

The problem with most sports announcers like Steven A and Max Kellerman is that they are talking a lot of BS because they are New York Knick fans and they want all these super stars like Durant and others to go to New York, not the Lakers. Just listen to every thing they say when it comes to where these super stars should go. It is the Knicks they want to become top contenders again, not the Lakers. Another that hates any western team is Jalen Rose. He makes me sick just listening to him.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14295
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23
Axle wrote:
I do not think they will trade the whole team for AD. I say screw the Pelicans, and Pop of the Spurs. They hate the Lakers and have conspired to not ever let the Lakers be a dynasty again. Another one is the owner of the Cav's. They do not want to help us, so the Lakers should do the same for them The problem with most sports announcers like Steven A and Max Kellerman is that they are talking a lot of BS because they are New York Knick fans and they want all these super....


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14295
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23


lakerdudeinindy
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1426
votes: 15

kkennon1 wrote:
That's funny Axle, all reports I've read say most GM'S and owners hate Rob.

And do you really think if Pels take that same trade, Rob and Lakers FO aren't going to do it. Lmao

Rob was considered a snake before hand. There have been a few execs that would consider dealing with him, but overall he is considered disingenuous and a liar. And with the mess that the Lakers are now. It will be interesting to say the least.


FrankBecerra
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1452
Location: Staples Center
votes: 2

It sounds like Rob is not very well liked!


lakerdudeinindy
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1426
votes: 15

FrankBecerra wrote:
It sounds like Rob is not very well liked!

He's not and the messed up thing about the FO is/was with Magic there he could talk to other execs, but he didn't know what he was doing and if a decent basketball mind was there directing them; Magic could have been JUST the face for recruiting, Pelinka the cap specialist and agent relations ( to a point, but Magic could ease some execs.) and someone like Ryan West, who is already there, along with the other Buss brothers whose G-League team is more successful then the NBA team...LOL!!!!

I feel that upper management holds Ryan West down due to his dad, not approving of Jeannie and Jackson's relationship. West, along with Jesse and Joey would probably be more palatable and respected due to the West name first off, but the work him and Jesse puts in. If Linda;the shadow ninja owner likes Pelinka so much, give a title name that does not give the feeling that he is completely running things. Despite being a pathological liar, Pelinka is smart and has to have cap knowledge to help smooth out that part of the basketball side.

This leaving Pelinka in charge is disconcerting and if it turns out"right", I still won't be comfortable or trusting of him being in charge.


Axle
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14942
Location: Axle
votes: 71

So I guess we are going to have a mass of fans leaving the Lakers because of Pelinka. OH WELL! I have more faith on the organization then most in this forum. Lakers will be just fine. Lot of the fans were in love with Magic, but he was not a good coach and he was not good at his last job with the Lakers. Nothing worse then a person who quits just because he got criticized on his job performance. Then what really pissed me off is he goes running to Steven A Smith crying about why he had quit.

The truth is he just did not like to be told to do his job. Right away he starts pouting like a little kid and goes running to the media that he was back stabbed. LMAO.

Magic was a great player, but other then that, he was not too good. He quit on the Lakers as a coach right away, he does not like anybody to question his idea's. And now he quits again after a few months. You can not run a business with just a big smile and trying to BS your way through. You have to work at it and have scouts looking for talent that could help the Lakers. Players that probably you have never heard off. That is what good scouting does. Magic had too many other projects going to have taken a job like he had with the Lakers and expect to do good.

His first move was to trade the whole youth movement the Lakers had been working for in the last few years for one player (AD). That right there raised some red flags with a lot of Laker fans that understand the game. He has no patients for developing young players. Another big mistake was signing LeBron at the twilight of his career. Why go after such an old player giving him a long contract. Knowing that a lot of players do not like being second fiddle to LeBron. Just ask Kyrie.


lakerdudeinindy
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1426
votes: 15

LOL...yes there is going to be a mass exodus of us fans leaving, thank you for pointing that out....

Do have to agree with you that Magic should not have been hired. I am BIG Magic Johnson fan, but he sucked at this and should have been an ambassador OR some kind of advisor tha did not make ANY decisions except for recruiting. Letting him loose in anything that had to do with basketball decisions wasn't good. He was VERY impatient and leaned too far in favoring LeBron. Pelinka STILL sucks, because he was just as implicit in the foolishness that is/was the front office,regardless of YOUR faith in him. I have more faith in Vogel and he may be the one that pays the price with all the disarray with the team.


BaadMaster
LNS HOF Bronze
 Avatar
Posts: 8549
votes: 98

lakerdudeinindy wrote:
LOL...yes there is going to be a mass exodus of us fans leaving, thank you for pointing that out....

Do have to agree with you that Magic should not have been hired. I am BIG Magic Johnson fan, but he sucked at this and should have been an ambassador OR some kind of advisor that did not make ANY decisions except for recruiting. Letting him loose in anything that had to do with basketball decisions wasn't good. He was VERY impatient and leaned too far in favoring LeBron. Pelinka STILL sucks, because he was just as implicit in the foolishness that is/was the front office,regardless of YOUR faith in him. I have more faith in Vogel and he may be the one that pays the price with all the disarray with the team.

I wonder if we can get Vince Carter. He says this is his last year, but Pelinka could entice him with an 4 year contract. Then talk Manu going for one last run. Add Ray Allen and CP3. Andrew Bynum needs a job.

Introducing: The 2019 Los Angeles Lakers Classic!


lakerdudeinindy
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1426
votes: 15

BaadMaster wrote:
I wonder if we can get Vince Carter. He says this is his last year, but Pelinka could entice him with an 4 year contract. Then talk Manu going for one last run. Add Ray Allen and CP3. Andrew Bynum needs a job.

Introducing: The 2019 Los Angeles Lakers Classic!

My BIGGEST concern is that Pelinka may get nervous and may think HAS to make a big splash and go for 2 out of the 5 guys you named. It will NBA 2K...STREET Legends?


Options Quick Reply: RE: Magic Johnson Steps Down as Lakers President
register
You are an anonymous user- or .
Quote the last message
Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)
Notify me when a reply is posted
Don't Check Spelling
Note: Twitter & Youtube BBCODE Tags are no longer necessary. The system will automatically convert links to tweets & youtube videos.
   
 
Go To the Top of the ThreadGo Home
Post new topic   Reply to topic
register
You are an anonymous user- Register now or Log in Now!


Add our Los Angeles Lakers Blog RSS Feed, the Lakers Rumors RSS Feed, the Lakers News RSS feed, and the Lakers Forum RSS feed to get the latest Laker News and Rumors and Lakers Game info in your RSS/XML reader!