Next Laker Coach? (P. 2)

Lakers News Surge Forum/Message Board » Lakers General Discussions
Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Search This Topic:
 
TheLegendaryDino
Laker GM
 Avatar
Age: 103
Posts: 4326
votes: 4

lakerdudeinindy wrote:
Seems to be Lakers culture now. No one takes responsibility and the fans get to see this mess. Magic and Pelinka screwed this up MAJORLY and is so far showing that they are VERY hit and miss as executives.

Biggest screw up is magic and front office then Lebron then luke. Lebron don't like luke so of course he'll find a way to get rid of him lol


Angeluus
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 814
votes: 2

TheLegendaryDino wrote:
Biggest screw up is magic and front office then Lebron then luke. Lebron don't like luke so of course he'll find a way to get rid of him lol

How does this explain our issues with the development of our youngsters? This has been an issue for an extremely long period of time. Long before this **** show anyway. Before you respond, note that I am not disagreeing with you. I do think that they are significant problems.


lakerdudeinindy
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1284
votes: 12

TheLegendaryDino wrote:
Biggest screw up is magic and front office then Lebron then luke. Lebron don't like luke so of course he'll find a way to get rid of him lol

Of course. Luke needs time at a college, then maybe coming back to the NBA or go back to Golden State (if they let him.) and learn, sub patterns and management. I don't look at him like I looked at Byron Scott, who truly was just a horrible coach for us. I think Walton needed A LOT more seasoning. Jennie Buss messed this up too. Magic got in and then instead of maybe elevating Jerry West's son or getting an experienced GM, he grabs Pelinka. Pelinka showed how bad he was when instead of going for Robinson in the draft, he went for a Michigan alum Mo Wagner.

Sadly, I think we are stuck with them both for another few years and this summer will solidify who they are. Will they make basketball decisions to improve the team OR will they go the glitzy Hollywood way and go for free agents that do not want to come here and miss out on guys that complement LeBron, since he is here and find a competent coach. I guess we will see.


MAGICLAKEZ
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16001
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif
votes: 68

If you have the time check out this podcast featuring some interesting insights from Ramona Shelburne. A lot of discussions on Maginka after the 15:00 min mark.


IhatetheCeltics
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8137
votes: 51

lakerdudeinindy wrote:
Of course. Luke needs time at a college, then maybe coming back to the NBA or go back to Golden State (if they let him.) and learn, sub patterns and management. I don't look at him like I looked at Byron Scott, who truly was just a horrible coach for us. I think Walton needed A LOT more seasoning. Jennie Buss messed this up too. Magic got in and then instead of maybe elevating Jerry West's son or getting an experienced GM, he grabs Pelinka. Pelinka showed how bad he was when instead of going for Robinson in the draft, he went for a Michigan alum Mo Wagner.

Sadly, I think we are stuck with them both for another few years and this summer will solidify who they are. Will they make basketball decisions to improve the team OR will they go the glitzy Hollywood way and go for free agents that do not want to come here and miss out on guys that complement LeBron, since he is here and find a competent coach. I guess we will see.

The Wagner pick was Magic Johnson’s call. Scouting department wanted someone else.


lakerdudeinindy
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1284
votes: 12

IhatetheCeltics wrote:
The Wagner pick was Magic Johnson’s call. Scouting department wanted someone else.

Wow. That makes it even worse. Just wish Magic would go somewhere and sit down.


hogball
Casual Laker Fan
Posts: 86
votes: 1

As I previously posted, SEASONS OVER for the Lakers. Now they are going to limit the playing time of Lebron. Maybe they are saving whatever physical asset left on him and squeezed it for next season.

To prepare for next season, the FO should discard all these garbages, KCP, Chandler, Maggie, Muscala, Stephenson and Rondo. Ask Lebron if he's interested in staying or would rather join another team. If he opts out, then trade him without second thought. Kuzma, Ingram and Ball should be untouchable. All other young players except for Wagner and Bonga are tradeable.

For recruits, FO should exert additional effort to get Thompson and Cousin. With these two recruits plus the trio of Kuzma, Ingram and Ball and a new coach, the Lakers will be not only a playoff but a championship contender, even in the absence of Lebron


ralppcobarde
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 6148

rp.gif
votes: 28

This is worse than I have couldve imagined. Just tank for a top ten pick in the draft. Do we have a chance to land a top 5 pick? If we lose most of our games?


userpete1037
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 19502
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif
votes: 18

lakerdudeinindy wrote:
Wow. That makes it even worse. Just wish Magic would go somewhere and sit down.

I remember the whole time leading up to that pick for Wagner, the rumor was they were going to take Mitchell Robinson with that 25th pick in the 1st rd. but they passed and the Knicks took him 6th in the 2nd rd. That wouldn't have been any better either. They might as well took Hamidou Diallo. At least he won the dunk contest...lol.


ralppcobarde
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 6148

rp.gif
votes: 28

Wagner will be a versatile big, for some absurd reason he doesn't received any playing time by Luke. he is a good choice to be honest, the Lakers can pick up young talent in draft. see D'Lo,Zubac,Thomas Bryant,Randle. what concerns me is development. i felt this is where the coaching staff is lacking. we need experienced coaches to develop young players to develop good habits.


Angeluus
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 814
votes: 2

ralppcobarde wrote:
Wagner will be a versatile big, for some absurd reason he doesn't received any playing time by Luke. he is a good choice to be honest, the Lakers can pick up young talent in draft. see D'Lo,Zubac,Thomas Bryant,Randle. what concerns me is development. i felt this is where the coaching staff is lacking. we need experienced coaches to develop young players to develop good habits.

You are absolutely right. Who we pick up in the draft is slightly irrelevant. It's how we develop these guys that is the issue. That is why I have been against tanking until recently. What difference does it make? Now, we don't have a choice but to tank as much as we can although I believe we will **** this whole thing up anyway. Even if we do get a descent pick, he will be underdeveloped. We will then hand him to the clippers for a cheese sandwich. After that, we will all watch him develop into the player we all wanted and we will be back on this forum discussing it. For those who think we are somehow landing Zion....... Delusional.


lakerdudeinindy
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1284
votes: 12

Angeluus wrote:
You are absolutely right. Who we pick up in the draft is slightly irrelevant. It's how we develop these guys that is the issue. That is why I have been against tanking until recently. What difference does it make? Now, we don't have a choice but to tank as much as we can although I believe we will **** this whole thing up anyway. Even if we do get a descent pick, he will be underdeveloped. We will then hand him to the clippers for a cheese sandwich. After that, we will all watch him develop into the player we all wanted and we will be back on this forum discussing it. For those who think we are somehow landing Zion....... Delusional.

Too true. The lack of development of players was an issue before Luke. It's that win "now" mentality that the Lakers never let go of. LOL...and even if we did get Zion, Magic would try to deal him to the Pelicans for AD, get rejected and then trade for that slightly grilled cheese sandwich.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 13765
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 21

userpete1037 wrote:
I remember the whole time leading up to that pick for Wagner, the rumor was they were going to take Mitchell Robinson with that 25th pick in the 1st rd. but they passed and the Knicks took him 6th in the 2nd rd. That wouldn't have been any better either. They might as well took Hamidou Diallo. At least he won the dunk contest...lol.

Think Robinson would have been a better pick. Imo


lakerdudeinindy
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1284
votes: 12

kkennon1 wrote:
Think Robinson would have been a better pick. Imo

A whole lot better pick. He is athletic and his defense would have been beneficial. The kid is an AWESOME shot blocker already and is smarter than Javelle McGee on pick and plays. Wagner may turn into something decent, but I think Mitchell fits into what we have needed.


gemfow
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12352
Location: Maryland
us.gif
votes: 180

ralppcobarde wrote:
Wagner will be a versatile big, for some absurd reason he doesn't received any playing time by Luke. he is a good choice to be honest, the Lakers can pick up young talent in draft. see D'Lo,Zubac,Thomas Bryant,Randle. what concerns me is development. i felt this is where the coaching staff is lacking. we need experienced coaches to develop young players to develop good habits.

I think coaching is just a small issue in regards to developing youth in LA. I feel management has created a culture of win-now. The win-now culture has seen us treat these young athletes with a huge degree of impatience. Unless that second year player is averaging 20 points in his second season then he’s a bust in some fans’ eyes. How many times did we see complaints about D’Angelo or Randle and how they’re busts or not stars and they should be packaged to get a star? This team’s trash has become other teams’ treasures. How many times have we seen us pummel our 19-21 year old players who are still here? People were calling Ingram a bust because he was only averaging 17pts 4 boards and 3 assists. That truly baffled me how sole would call him a bust but call other guys outside of LA future stars.

Luke is part of the problem because he’s not as bad as Byron Scott when it comes to playing young guys but he has problems with playing young guys. I think it goes back to the unrealistic expectations of winning in LA no matter what the roster. Luke will ultimately be the scapegoat but management/ownership are the ones I consider most culpable of this non-playoff drought.

LA has drafted well over the years so it’s not about them drafting badly, all their recent first round picks have shown they can play in this league:

Russell

Randle

Ingram

Ball

Kuzma

Hart

Having that young squad mixed in with some good second or third tier veterans would have been a playoff team imo. The huge problem is LA won’t even look twice at a second or third tier vet to fill the roster. Their strategy has been superstar or bust and they’ll fill the roster with one year contracts to try it again next offseason.

Management needs to blame themselves for the mess in LA and stop trying to blame it on youth.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 13765
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 21

Gemfow agree with some of the things you said, but think some overrate Dlo, he's playing good, nothing special , on a Nets team that imo isn't all that good, just happen to be in weak East. agree about if Lakers still had them , plus a few vets they might have made playoffs. But this team and any other team in league isn't getting anywhere, as far as a championship, without superstars and stars, which I still don't see in any of those players you lists yet.

Also agree about unrealistic expectations of winning, teams go through down years sooner or later, but seems like Lakers FO can't deal with that, and try to go with quick fix.

Will say that , while not really wanting Lebron, I think people are a little hard on him as far as team wins and losses. This isn't the East where you can coast through , also don't think any superstar can make a legitimate run at championship without another star, not MJ, Kobe, Lebron or any other superstar. So when they signed Lebron, I really think they thought they had PG13 coming too. Even after that, they didn't build right team around Lebron. Which is something I think they will unfortunately fix this off-season at the cost of young guys.

Which is another thing I have a problem with, if you tell me they're trading a few players for a young star, like an AD, Beal, etc. Than I'm fine with it , but not all of them. Also don't want them traded for a star vet about to hit 30 yrs or older, to help Lebron out for a few years, than be back at square one in 3 or 4 years


JJCali
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8281

us.gif
votes: 18

kkennon1 wrote:
Team was built around Lebron, don't think any coach would have a chance once he left.

Completely agree!


TERRY-TEAGLE
Laker GM
Posts: 3651
Location: Belmont Shores,CA
votes: 41

My #1 Head Coaching candidate- Eric Mussleman


Axle
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14809
Location: Axle
votes: 71

There was some discussions this morning on television that Lebron will probably be gone from the Lakers after this season. They also mentioned that there are no high profile players that want to play with LeBron.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 13765
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 21

Axle wrote:
There was some discussions this morning on television that Lebron will probably be gone from the Lakers after this season. They also mentioned that there are no high profile players that want to play with LeBron.

Doubt it, plus it would send wrong message to other top FA's. And with stories coming out that Magic let Randle and Lopez walk, while rest of FO and coaching staff wanted to keep them, he ain't trading Lebron and admit he was a dumb azz. Lol


IhatetheCeltics
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8137
votes: 51

kkennon1 wrote:
Doubt it, plus it would send wrong message to other top FA's. And with stories coming out that Magic let Randle and Lopez walk, while rest of FO and coaching staff wanted to keep them, he ain't trading Lebron and admit he was a dumb azz. Lol

They won’t do it, but I don’t believe the “it will send the wrong message to FAs” argument. Think fans make a bigger deal out of this than they do.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 13765
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 21

IhatetheCeltics wrote:
They won’t do it, but I don’t believe the “it will send the wrong message to FAs” argument. Think fans make a bigger deal out of this than they do.

Disagree, top FA's haven't exactly been lining up to play for Lakers. And I don't really think Lebron counts, since I think he came more for his off- court stuff, than basketball.

Having said that, think FA's would look at it like, " if they'd trade Lebron ( if they did it without him agreeing) than they'll trade anybody. Also sends message that FO has no clue of what they're doing, Lebron was successful everywhere else but in LA.


MAGICLAKEZ
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16001
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif
votes: 68

Just noticed you have to sign up to read the article. In a nutshell mutual interest between Lakers/Rivers.


Axle
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14809
Location: Axle
votes: 71

kkennon1 wrote:
Disagree, top FA's haven't exactly been lining up to play for Lakers. And I don't really think Lebron counts, since I think he came more for his off- court stuff, than basketball.

Having said that, think FA's would look at it like, " if they'd trade Lebron ( if they did it without him agreeing) than they'll trade anybody. Also sends message that FO has no clue of what they're doing, Lebron was successful everywhere else but in LA.

You forget KKennon that LeBron is not half the player he used to be. Age has caught up with him and it is going to get worse in the next two years. Don't get me wrong, he can still play, but not like he used to. No more run away train like before. Now he even struggles on the free throw line. Lakers would have beat the Knicks if LeBron had made both of his free throws, but he missed both.

If I was Magic, I would trade him for a much younger super star. It is a business and LeBron is not beyond being a trade asset. You got to do what is best for the team.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 13765
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 21

Axle wrote:
You forget KKennon that LeBron is not half the player he used to be. Age has caught up with him and it is going to get worse in the next two years. Don't get me wrong, he can still play, but not like he used to. No more run away train like before. Now he even struggles on the free throw line. Lakers would have beat the Knicks if LeBron had made both of his free throws, but he missed both.

If I was Magic, I would trade him for a much younger super star. It is a business and LeBron is not beyond being a trade asset. You got to do what is best for the team.

No he's not the same player, but he's never been a good FT shooter, and he's having one of the best years of his career stat wise.

And as you said ,he's older now, so whonin the hell is going to trade a young superstar for him. Come on really!!!!!


userpete1037
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 19502
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif
votes: 18

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:

Just noticed you have to sign up to read the article. In a nutshell mutual interest between Lakers/Rivers.

Didn't he just sign an extension not too long ago?


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 13765
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 21

Never mind. Strike 1 !!!!!


FrankBecerra
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1407
Location: Staples Center
votes: 1

Just trade LebrOn and let Magic and Rob go at the end of the season.


MAGICLAKEZ
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16001
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif
votes: 68

FrankBecerra wrote:
Just trade LebrOn and let Magic and Rob go at the end of the season.

Let’s see who Jeannie brings in next time...my guess is Byron and Rambis. Mrs Rambis is already a special exec. One big happy Laker family Lmao!!


Tempy
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12504
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif
votes: 48

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
Let’s see how Jeannie brings in next time...my guess is Byron and Rambis. Mrs Rambis is already a special exec. One big happy Laker family Lmao!!

I was watching the post game show today and I saw Jefferson on there, I couldn't believe my eyes that they brought in a player that wasn't a Laker.


Axle
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14809
Location: Axle
votes: 71

Jefferson and Luke have been friends since the college days. They go back a long ways as friends.


MAGICLAKEZ
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16001
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif
votes: 68

If I was given control of the lakers for just 1 day..lol..I would do what it takes to bring back Jerry West in whatever capacity and pair him with David Griffin. I would also lock up the current FO in a maximum security facility.


MAGICLAKEZ
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16001
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif
votes: 68


Axle
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14809
Location: Axle
votes: 71

Luke will not get fired, he is a good coach and will be there next season. The thing is fans expect too much too soon out of a bunch of draft kids. Got to let them mature some before they become good players. I hope Magic does not go crazy next season and starts trading away our draft picks. He already let two good players go in Randle and DiAngelo.

Like Kobe said today, you just have to keep pushing and be patient. Firing the coach would be crazy. Injuries is what has hurt the Lakers, and Magic announcing he would have traded the whole team for AD was bad on the team. Moral is very important on younger players, and just when they had lots of confidence, Magic drops the bomb on them. So the losses started coming one after another to teams that were not that good.


Tempy
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12504
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif
votes: 48

Axle wrote:
Luke will not get fired, he is a good coach and will be there next season. The thing is fans expect too much too soon out of a bunch of draft kids. Got to let them mature some before they become good players. I hope Magic does not go crazy next season and starts trading away our draft picks. He already let two good players go in Randle and DiAngelo.

Like Kobe said today, you just have to keep pushing and be patient. Firing the coach would be crazy. Injuries is what has hurt the Lakers, and Magic announcing he would have traded the whole team for AD was bad on the team. Moral is very important on younger players, and just when they had lots of confidence, Magic drops the bomb on them. So the losses started coming one after another to teams that were not that good.

I 100% guarantee he is gone.


Options Quick Reply: RE: Next Laker Coach?
register
You are an anonymous user- or .
Quote the last message
Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)
Notify me when a reply is posted
Don't Check Spelling
Note: Twitter & Youtube BBCODE Tags are no longer necessary. The system will automatically convert links to tweets & youtube videos.
   
 
Go To the Top of the ThreadGo Home
Post new topic   Reply to topic
register
You are an anonymous user- Register now or Log in Now!


Add our Los Angeles Lakers Blog RSS Feed, the Lakers Rumors RSS Feed, the Lakers News RSS feed, and the Lakers Forum RSS feed to get the latest Laker News and Rumors and Lakers Game info in your RSS/XML reader!