Josh Hart to Replace Lonzo As Starting PG?

Lakers News Surge Forum/Message Board » Lakers News
Post new topic Reply to topic
Poll
Should Josh Hart start at PG instead of Lonzo?
Yes
18%
 18%  [2]
No
81%
 81%  [9]
Total Votes : 11

Author Search This Topic:
 
JamFan
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 955
Location: San Luis Obispo
votes: 6

We have all heard about the Lakers asking Josh Hart to improve his ball handling skills. Instead Josh Hart has gone out and improved everything. Anybody who watched his performance last night against the Cavaliers have to start asking, "How are we going to keep this guy on the bench?"

Most think that he is a challenge for KCP for a starting role at shooting guard. But now I am starting to wonder if Hart is going to be a challenge to Lonzo Ball at point guard.

Many fans are starting to wonder if we want to begin the season watching Lonzo hoist up bricks, or Josh Hart raining down 3's, and everything else along the way.


LALA-LandShow24
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 568
votes: 2

As of now I think Rondo ends up the starting PG. I think KCP will start as well bu there is no denying Hart is going to challenge KCP for starters minutes. To start the season I think Hart will come off the bench but be the primary ball handler when he does.


Angeluus
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 841
votes: 2

JamFan wrote:
We have all heard about the Lakers asking Josh Hart to improve his ball handling skills. Instead Josh Hart has gone out and improved everything. Anybody who watched his performance last night against the Cavaliers have to start asking, "How are we going to keep this guy on the bench?"

Most think that he is a challenge for KCP for a starting role at shooting guard. But now I am starting to wonder if Hart is going to be a challenge to Lonzo Ball at point guard.

Many fans are starting to wonder if we want to begin the season watching Lonzo hoist up bricks, or Josh Hart raining down 3's, and everything else along the way.

Yes, he has played great in the "summer league". And? Look, I do see him playing quite a bit challenging KCP for mins. I really hope he can play with the same intensity in the regular season, but I highly doubt it. Let's hope he proves me wrong.


userpete1037
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 19831
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif
votes: 18

Nah they ain't paying Rondo $9 Mil for nothing.


Esquire
NewsSurge Newbie
Posts: 47
Location: Chicago
votes: 0

userpete1037 wrote:
Nah they ain't paying Rondo $9 Mil for nothing.

I think he is being paid for leadership and defense. He may do 28 minutes a game....


Dave
Site Admin
Posts: 5267

us.gif
votes: 45

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hart and Rondo out there together for extended minutes, and maybe the same with a Lonzo KCP combination, just so that there is a shooter to balance out the passer. Also let's see if Ball's 3 point shot will become more credible in the upcoming season.

With Lebron in there, Hart + KCP may well play together as well. Many interesting line-up possibilities!


WatchTheSkyFall24
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 6226

us.gif
votes: 22

Josh Hart is a great combo guard and 2-way player but when it comes to pure point guard play, Lonzo and Rondo are undeniably better. As great as he's looked in the summer league I don't think that is enough to warrant starting him at PG.


MAGICLAKEZ
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16307
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif
votes: 70

When there was talk about Rondo and Ball fighting it out for the starting PG spot, it is a no brainer Rondo starts. Josh Hart is a shoot first guard who is always looking to get his. He is barely averaging 2 assists in the SL. Secondly he has gone too iso recently. It started towards the end of last season when BI and Zo went down. I would rather have BI than Hart as the back up to Rondo.


userpete1037
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 19831
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif
votes: 18

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
When there was talk about Rondo and Ball fighting it out for the starting PG spot, it is a no brainer Rondo starts. Josh Hart is a shoot first guard who is always looking to get his. He is barely averaging 2 assists in the SL. Secondly he has gone too iso recently. It started towards the end of last season when BI and Zo went down. I would rather have BI than Hart as the back up to Rondo.

Absolutely......


TimmyDoe
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1554
votes: 22

I still see Lonzo starting, but I def wouldn't be surprised to see Rondo starting. I would eat my phone if Hart started over both. Considering that Lonzo does everything BUT score better than Hart, idk why this would warrant a discussion.

Part of the fanbase who only sees scoring as merit for a player's worth should understand there's a reason why Lonzo was a coveted player (up until Lavar came up on his son's fame).


TERRY-TEAGLE
Laker GM
Posts: 3654
Location: Belmont Shores,CA
votes: 41

WatchTheSkyFall24 wrote:
Josh Hart is a great combo guard and 2-way player but when it comes to pure point guard play, Lonzo and Rondo are undeniably better. As great as he's looked in the summer league I don't think that is enough to warrant starting him at PG.

Agree 100 %


ralppcobarde
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 6156

rp.gif
votes: 28

Dave wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see Hart and Rondo out there together for extended minutes, and maybe the same with a Lonzo KCP combination, just so that there is a shooter to balance out the passer. Also let's see if Ball's 3 point shot will become more credible in the upcoming season.

With Lebron in there, Hart + KCP may well play together as well. Many interesting line-up possibilities!

Yes. And undeniably with Lebron leading the charge, the roles would more defined


TheLegendaryDino
Laker GM
Posts: 4336
votes: 4

Should Josh Hart start at PG instead of Lonzo? No, he's not a pg...hart is more of a sg/sf


ralppcobarde
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 6156

rp.gif
votes: 28

No way. Hart will be a role player at best , the same time D-Fish was here. Zo is a floor general together with Bron + Rondo. With Lebron being the leader, roles will be more defined. No more KCP jacking up shot after shot or Hart bringing up the ball. KCP will be a spot up shooter & Hart will be the 3-D guy.


Shepherd
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 10744

ez.gif
votes: 54

Could turn into our 6th man tho. We don't really have one atm. Or good trade bait?

We're light on star power, but pretty darn deep with pretty good players. Is it enough to have one superstar and a bunch of pretty good guys around him? A mixture of hard nosed vets and up and coming youngsters?


Axle
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14883
Location: Axle
votes: 71

LeBron will want Rondo to start which makes a lot of sense to me. Ball will come off the bench, Hart will be a shooting guard and small forward.

Avoiding injuries, the Lakers are starting to put a decent team, with plenty of defense, and good offense.

Can hardly wait for the season to start.


userpete1037
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 19831
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif
votes: 18

^^^

I don't buy that unless Ball's knee isn't healthy. Other than that, I can't see Rondo starting.


TimmyDoe
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1554
votes: 22

userpete1037 wrote:
^^^

I don't buy that unless Ball's knee isn't healthy. Other than that, I can't see Rondo starting.

Same. I think Rondo may start a few games to light a fire under Zo, show him what it means to be THE starting point guard on a team. Other than that I expect Zo to be starting for most of the season.


userpete1037
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 19831
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif
votes: 18

TimmyDoe wrote:
Same. I think Rondo may start a few games to light a fire under Zo, show him what it means to be THE starting point guard on a team. Other than that I expect Zo to be starting for most of the season.

He's definitely going to light a fire under him at practice IMO.


FrankBecerra
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1440
Location: Staples Center
votes: 2

I hear Rondo is looking pretty good so far.


BaadMaster
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8514
votes: 98

And to think we coulda had Jayson Tatum or Donovan Mitchell. Sheesh!


TimmyDoe
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1554
votes: 22

Tatum would not have looked as good with us as he did with Boston. Their two best players and top two options went down. He and Brown are the next best scorers naturally. Tatum would have been competing for the ball with Randle (bonafide ball hog) and Ingram. Zo is better anyhow. I think people get infatuated with numbers and highlights too often.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14096
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 21

TimmyDoe wrote:
Tatum would not have looked as good with us as he did with Boston. Their two best players and top two options went down. He and Brown are the next best scorers naturally. Tatum would have been competing for the ball with Randle (bonafide ball hog) and Ingram. Zo is better anyhow. I think people get infatuated with numbers and highlights too often.

Love Zo, but don't think he's better than Tatum. Also think Tatum would have looked just as good or better on Lakers. Think him or BI could have played at 2. Having said that, think Zo filled a need more than Tatum, and will be just as valuable going forward. Also think Kuz can be just as good or close to Tatum, he put up similar numbers off the bench. Imo


Shepherd
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 10744

ez.gif
votes: 54

I disagree. Tatum will be a star fast. Faster than Zo for sure. However we kinda had the position covered, and we needed a PG. So I get why they did what they did. But to me the argument is more about Mitchell. I'd have taken him all day over Zo, if that was an option. And sure in hindsight I'd have dumped Randle like a hot potato for Tatum, but that would have required some serious moves to accomplish.


MAGICLAKEZ
LNS HOF Gold
 Avatar
Posts: 16307
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif
votes: 70

TimmyDoe wrote:
Tatum would not have looked as good with us as he did with Boston. Their two best players and top two options went down. He and Brown are the next best scorers naturally. Tatum would have been competing for the ball with Randle (bonafide ball hog) and Ingram. Zo is better anyhow. I think people get infatuated with numbers and highlights too often.

Shooting and shooters are coveted in lakerland. I just don’t understand the fascination for snipers. I would rather have a guy setting up the table for others and elevating teammates in the process. And the defense gets glossed over (quite conveniently) during these hindsight discussions. We already have Kuzma in the same Tatum mould. Zo might not have an nba worthy shot (just yet), but if he could develop a “set shot” A La Magic, he would be pretty much unstoppable. He’s already ahead of the curve in all the other overlooked areas of basketball.

Unfortunately I feared these comments would crop up out here, after the self proclaimed mamba man went on national television and suggested that we should have drafted Tatum instead of Ball. Throwing laker players under the bus is nothing new for this mambino. In a way he also called out Magic/Rob for drafting the wrong guy. Let that marinade for a second. Lol.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14096
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 21
MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
Shooting and shooters are coveted in lakerland. I just don’t understand the fascination for snipers. I would rather have a guy setting up the table for others and elevating teammates in the process. And the defense gets glossed over (quite conveniently) during these hindsight discussions. We already have Kuzma in the same Tatum mould. Zo might not have an nba worthy shot (just yet), but if he could develop a “set shot” A La Magic, he would be pretty much unstoppable. He’s already ahead of the curve in all the other overlooked areas of....


userpete1037
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 19831
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif
votes: 18

Can't wait to see how that draft class of Tatum, Fultz and Ball pan out in 10yrs.


TimmyDoe
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1554
votes: 22

Shepherd wrote:
I disagree. Tatum will be a star fast. Faster than Zo for sure. However we kinda had the position covered, and we needed a PG. So I get why they did what they did. But to me the argument is more about Mitchell. I'd have taken him all day over Zo, if that was an option. And sure in hindsight I'd have dumped Randle like a hot potato for Tatum, but that would have required some serious moves to accomplish.

IMO Zo is the type of player that guys want to play with. Tatum will be a star but in a different way. Zo is unique since we see less and less of his kind of player nowadays. Magiclakez stated it better than I could. Zo is only missing a shot, a shot that he had no problem with in college.

Another understated facet of Zo’s game is how well he plays without the ball, which I think separates him from Kidd and rubio (the most common comparisons). Zo has a ready-fire attitude on the catch and shoot when he’s the receiver and we’ve seen him receive plenty of dimes and finish as well. He doesn’t step on the toes of another ball handler (all stars).

I also do believe Kobe was messing around. Just a badly timed joke IMO. Tatum was imitating Kobe’s moves when Kobe said that, I’m 100% sure he was joking given the context


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14096
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 21
TimmyDoe wrote:
IMO Zo is the type of player that guys want to play with. Tatum will be a star but in a different way. Zo is unique since we see less and less of his kind of player nowadays. Magiclakez stated it better than I could. Zo is only missing a shot, a shot that he had no problem with in college. I also do believe Kobe was joking around. Just a badly timed joke IMO. Tatum was imitating Kobe’s moves when Kobe said that, I’m 100% sure he was joking given the context
Agree, they're different players, Tatum was billed as....


MAGICLAKEZ
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16307
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif
votes: 70

kkennon1 wrote:
Also Kobe might have been joking when he said it.

Nice joke. He’s a very funny guy. Great sense of humor.

The Chris Tucker of basketball. Lol.


Shepherd
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 10744

ez.gif
votes: 54

You can't see my comments MAGICLAKEZ, but you're hardly one to call someone out for their distasteful sense of humor. Someone else might want to re-post that comment so he can see it.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle Mamba. Sheeesh.


Axle
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14883
Location: Axle
votes: 71

Don't know if Kobe was joking or what, but Tatum would have been the better draft pick. Ball has a terrible shot and his father said he was not going to change his style of shooting.

And this bull**** that Kobe threw anybody under the bus is crazy. He is looks at players different then what Joe Blow on this forum does. He was probably the best Laker this organization has ever had and can tell who is good and who is bad.

Ball is going to hurt the Laker group that Magic is putting together. You can not just be a passing point guard, you have to have a good perimeter shot, because other teams will find his weakness and leave him wide open and double on the good shooters. Tatum or Mitchell would have been awesome. But that is where the Lakers have lacked for years since they fired all their scouts.


MAGICLAKEZ
LNS HOF Gold
 Avatar
Posts: 16307
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif
votes: 70

LMAO!!


userpete1037
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 19831
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif
votes: 18

^^^

Wow!!!!!.....lol.


WatchTheSkyFall24
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 6226

us.gif
votes: 22

Kobe was never a great judge of talent, he's always been biased towards players that patented their game after him or idolized him. If I recall correctly there was a point in time where Kobe pegged Evan Turner as a future superstar in the NBA. We all know how that turned out...


Shepherd
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 10744

ez.gif
votes: 54

Many here thought the same. The guy had chops in the beginning...


userpete1037
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 19831
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif
votes: 18

WatchTheSkyFall24 wrote:
Kobe was never a great judge of talent, he's always been biased towards players that patented their game after him or idolized him. If I recall correctly there was a point in time where Kobe pegged Evan Turner as a future superstar in the NBA. We all know how that turned out...

He wasn't the only one that thought that...….As I recall many aficionados thought he should've went #1 instead of Wall. IMO both have been disappointing in some fashion.


TimmyDoe
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1554
votes: 22

userpete1037 wrote:
He wasn't the only one that thought that...….As I recall many aficionados thought he should've went #1 instead of Wall. IMO both have been disappointing in some fashion.

First game I saw Evan Turner play in college he had like 11 turnovers. Imagine my surprise when I found out he was the consensus #2


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14096
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 21

Delete


Shepherd
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 10744

ez.gif
votes: 54

Hahahaha...I get an email notification of a new message here, and all it says is Delete LMAO....


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14096
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 21

Delete


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14096
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 21

Shepherd wrote:
Hahahaha...I get an email notification of a new message here, and all it says is Delete LMAO....

Was trying to bring Twitter video up of Zo and BI assists together and how they can continue to improve. But when I try, all I get is this :


Shepherd
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 10744

ez.gif
votes: 54

Oh yeah, tell me coz I'm the twitter expert lol.

Anyways the article looks interesting when I go to it. Maybe LBJ knows something we all don't about the real potential of these guys with a star in their midst.

I'd still do Ball and BI for Lillard all day. Then sign Kawhi next offseason. That lineup would rival GSW any day imo.


Axle
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14883
Location: Axle
votes: 71

Lillard expressed interest on becoming a Laker. Saw a little on my cell this morning, but did not read the whole article. But it probably was for next season because this season the Lakers are pretty well set for their roster. I also read where the Lakers may also be interested on Butler. Hope not, I thin Butler is over rated. Now Lillard I am with Shepherd. He is a great player.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14096
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 21

Shepherd wrote:
Oh yeah, tell me coz I'm the twitter expert lol.

Anyways the article looks interesting when I go to it. Maybe LBJ knows something we all don't about the real potential of these guys with a star in their midst.

I'd still do Ball and BI for Lillard all day. Then sign Kawhi next offseason. That lineup would rival GSW any day imo.

Not me, at this point, I'd rather see what Zo and BI become. But that's me !!!


Shepherd
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 10744

ez.gif
votes: 54

Axle wrote:
Lillard expressed interest on becoming a Laker. Saw a little on my cell this morning, but did not read the whole article. But it probably was for next season because this season the Lakers are pretty well set for their roster. I also read where the Lakers may also be interested on Butler. Hope not, I thin Butler is over rated. Now Lillard I am with Shepherd. He is a great player.

Yeah I saw that, but the article said Butler favored NYC. Just that NYC would have a hard time getting him, so Lakers might be more likely. But I'm sure next offseason Boston and who knows (Philly) and others will be looking at Butler too. I like him, and he lives here offseason (well San Diego actually, but close enough). Then again if we went after every NBA player who lives in or near LA in their offseason we'd have half the league on the team lol.

But I'd do LIllard over Butler. Still either one would bring a lot of juice. I guess we'll how our young guys do the first few months. If Ball still can't shoot and disappoints, I'm sure they'll be looking to trade him. I think they'll have an eye on each of the young guys with the thought of who to trade, if they don't improve and show they're worth.


Axle
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14883
Location: Axle
votes: 71

I think Ball will be traded. He does not want to change his shot, and it sucks. I like everything about the kid except his shot mechanics. Also he had knee surgery for a torn meniscus, it was orthoscopic surgery, but it still takes time to heal. I had that done many years ago and it never has bothered me any more. So hopefully Ball will recover before the season starts. He missed a lot of games last season. I believe he only played like sixty games last season. I hope he is not injury prone. Magic will trade him if he starts off to another bad season.

I still think Rondo will start the season. They did not get Rondo as a mentor to our young point guards. They got him because they wanted some experienced players around LeBron James. Rondo played pretty good last season.


Shepherd
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 10744

ez.gif
votes: 54

Less, he only played in 52 games. If he won't change his shot then he has to go.


BaadMaster
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8514
votes: 98

"Lonzo's shot is the shot of the future. By next year, everyone in the NBA will be copying the Lonzo Look." -- LaVar Ball.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14096
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 21

Shepherd wrote:
Less, he only played in 52 games. If he won't change his shot then he has to go.

Don't think it's his shot as much as it's his balance and footing when shooting. Plenty of guys have had ugly shots and did very well.


Options Quick Reply: RE: Josh Hart to Replace Lonzo As Starting PG?
register
You are an anonymous user- or .
Quote the last message
Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)
Notify me when a reply is posted
Don't Check Spelling
Note: Twitter & Youtube BBCODE Tags are no longer necessary. The system will automatically convert links to tweets & youtube videos.
   
 
Go To the Top of the ThreadGo Home
Post new topic   Reply to topic
register
You are an anonymous user- Register now or Log in Now!


Add our Los Angeles Lakers Blog RSS Feed, the Lakers Rumors RSS Feed, the Lakers News RSS feed, and the Lakers Forum RSS feed to get the latest Laker News and Rumors and Lakers Game info in your RSS/XML reader!