Julius Randle Upset About Not Being Offered Extension

Lakers News Surge Forum/Message Board » Lakers News
Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Search This Topic:
 
MAGICLAKEZ
LNS HOF Gold
 Avatar
Posts: 16636
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif
votes: 70
 

kkennon1 wrote:
45 seems like a stretch to me, but would be great season if they do it. I'll go with 35, maybe 36. Think they'll be better than last year, but rest of West got a lot better too.

Also don't know if all the players finish season on this team, including Randle.

I don’t know if it has been mentioned or posted yet. But apparently Randle’s camp is upset with the lakers for not offering him an extension. It first came on espn jump. The first shots have been fired...by Pelinka. lmao!


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14312
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
I don’t know if it has been mentioned or posted yet. But apparently Randle’s camp is upset with the lakers for not offering him an extension. It first came on espn jump. The first shots have been fired...by Pelinka. lmao!


Dave
Site Admin
Posts: 5316

us.gif
votes: 45

Good find guys- I read recently that he was playing "angry", and I thought it was because he thought he needed to step up his game. So this is why huh.


Tempy
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12805
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif
votes: 51

Dave wrote:
Good find guys- I read recently that he was playing "angry", and I thought it was because he thought he needed to step up his game. So this is why huh.

It's a contract year, hope the Lakers are not fooled by inflated numbers. Nick Young and Clarkson two very recent examples.

He comes into 1 training camp in good (great really lol) shape and expects to get paid?


Dave
Site Admin
Posts: 5316

us.gif
votes: 45

Tempy wrote:
It's a contract year, hope the Lakers are not fooled by inflated numbers. Nick Young and Clarkson two very recent examples.

He comes into 1 training camp in good (great really lol) shape and expects to get paid?

Yeah I have a feeling he could be traded by the deadline like some others have mentioned, unless he will settle for a reasonable amount of $ like $6 to $8 mil a year.


userpete1037
LNS HOF Platinum
Posts: 20032
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif
votes: 18

Even though I'm a die hard Kentucky B-Ball fan.....No Randle.....Noooo.


Tempy
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12805
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif
votes: 51

Dave wrote:
Yeah I have a feeling he could be traded by the deadline like some others have mentioned, unless he will settle for a reasonable amount of $ like $6 to $8 mil a year.

He will get more than that from another team. He earns $4m now, I see someone offering something similar to Clarkson's deal.


Skyeword
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 7525
Location: Atlanta
us.gif
votes: 68

Magic is a bold faced liar basically. He tells the media one thing, supports his claims to the players and then turns around and does something different. It's the same behavior that got him fined $500K. They contract Weir, they put Randle on the bench,Magic says he expects a 'Breakout season' from Randle, it looks like Kuzma is going to rightfully take his spot in the rotation, there's no chance he gets a large contract if the Lakers get two F.A.s so they are washing their hands of him now.

This is classic Los Angeles ethics. You are either paid and famous or ignored and garbage. Recall how many players found out about being traded or fired via the media rather than Mitch. Magic is completely down with this approach and Randle has every right to be pissed. Professionalism does not mean one must be stoic. Professionalism includes the expectation that your employers are honest and respectful too. Randle must feel like a spring chicken who plumped up only to learn it was for the slaughterhouse. He slimmed down only to learn that he's getting traded but for whom? George, Cousins and James aren’t going anywhere this season nor perhaps next season either.


Skyeword
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 7525
Location: Atlanta
us.gif
votes: 68

IMO, the Lakers will package Randle ($4M), Clarkson ($12M), Deng ($18M) and Zubac ($1M) for a max contract player if they can find one. There's your ($35M) right there. James is the only possibility I figure. Why would Cleveland wait until he walks (if he walks) at the end of the season?


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14312
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

Skyeword wrote:
Magic is a bold faced liar basically. He tells the media one thing, supports his claims to the players and then turns around and does something different. It's the same behavior that got him fined $500K. They contract Weir, they put Randle on the bench,Magic says he expects a 'Breakout season' from Randle, it looks like Kuzma is going to rightfully take his spot in the rotation, there's no chance he gets a large contract if the Lakers get two F.A.s so they are washing their hands of him now.

This is classic Los Angeles ethics. You are either paid and famous or ignored and garbage. Recall how many players found out about being traded or fired via the media rather than Mitch. Magic is completely down with this approach and Randle has every right to be pissed. Professionalism does not mean one must be stoic. Professionalism includes the expectation that your employers are honest and respectful too. Randle must feel like a spring chicken who plumped up only to learn it was for the slaughterhouse. He slimmed down only to learn that he's getting traded but for whom? George, Cousins and James aren’t going anywhere this season nor perhaps next season either.

Lol, it's professional sports, when has ownership or FO cared about players feelings, or told them the truth about their future on team , unless they're a franchise player. And sometimes not even than, when they're used up or hurt, look at IT.

In Randle's case he's done nothing to deserve a big contract, and hasn't played well enough yet, to get anything nice back in return in trade. Imo


IhatetheCeltics
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8155
votes: 51

Skyeword wrote:
IMO, the Lakers will package Randle ($4M), Clarkson ($12M), Deng ($18M) and Zubac ($1M) for a max contract player if they can find one. There's your ($35M) right there. James is the only possibility I figure. Why would Cleveland wait until he walks (if he walks) at the end of the season?

Because it's not up to Cleveland. He has a no-trade clause, which he has said he will not waive. I'm also not certain that he's going to walk. I think there's a very good chance he's going to stay, and all this talk about him leaving is just smoke.


userpete1037
LNS HOF Platinum
Posts: 20032
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif
votes: 18

IhatetheCeltics wrote:
Because it's not up to Cleveland. He has a no-trade clause, which he has said he will not waive. I'm also not certain that he's going to walk. I think there's a very good chance he's going to stay, and all this talk about him leaving is just smoke.

I say he makes his way to HOU. But that's just me.


userpete1037
LNS HOF Platinum
Posts: 20032
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif
votes: 18

kkennon1 wrote:
Lol, it's professional sports, when has ownership or FO cared about players feelings, or told them the truth about their future on team , unless they're a franchise player. And sometimes not even than, when they're used up or hurt, look at IT.

In Randle's case he's done nothing to deserve a big contract, and hasn't played well enough yet, to get anything nice back in return in trade. Imo

You definitely have a good point Sir....lol.


Skyeword
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 7525
Location: Atlanta
us.gif
votes: 68

IhatetheCeltics wrote:
Because it's not up to Cleveland. He has a no-trade clause, which he has said he will not waive. I'm also not certain that he's going to walk. I think there's a very good chance he's going to stay, and all this talk about him leaving is just smoke.

There's little to no chance of winning another championship in Cleveland. Their two star PG's are cripples! He might go to Houston or OKC to assure a few trophies or to LA to build one like he did in Miami and Cleveland I figure are the most obvious scenarios. He has no reason to remain in Cleveland and he knows that he will destroy the franchise to ruin if he waits until the end of the year and walks. Even if they trade him on the last day of the Trade Deadline, Gilbert and company will beg him to allow this if he intends to leave and all indications are that he will despite my own thinking that he might choose fidelity over legacy this time.


Skyeword
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 7525
Location: Atlanta
us.gif
votes: 68

kkennon1 wrote:
Lol, it's professional sports, when has ownership or FO cared about players feelings, or told them the truth about their future on team, unless they're a franchise player. And sometimes not even than, when they're used up or hurt, look at IT.

In Randle's case he's done nothing to deserve a big contract, and hasn't played well enough yet, to get anything nice back in return in trade. Imo

I agree but power has substantially shifted to the players and we are talking about LeBron James who can choose any team and dictate the terms. I'm imagining LeBron thinking about Cleveland in fact and not the other way around.

Randle has not earned his stripes as yet but, he's on track for a 15/10 career which is better than some of the top 20 Lakers of all time and a rare accomplishment in the NBA. He's a very talented player although not a max player, who will get $12-15M / year or more given the new structure.

Working towards a mutually understood goal and then getting kicked in the nuts will tear team morale to shreds. Magic is the one who needs to be kept in check. Treating a player this way will demotivate prospective Free Agents as well Jeanie handed him the keys to the palace.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14312
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

Skyeword wrote:
I agree but power has substantially shifted to the players and we are talking about LeBron James who can choose any team and dictate the terms. I'm imagining LeBron thinking about Cleveland in fact and not the other way around.

Randle has not earned his stripes as yet but, he's on track for a 15/10 career which is better than some of the top 20 Lakers of all time and a rare accomplishment in the NBA. He's a very talented player although not a max player, who will get $12-15M / year or more given the new structure.

Working towards a mutually understood goal and then getting kicked in the nuts will tear team morale to shreds. Magic is the one who needs to be kept in check. Treating a player this way will demotivate prospective Free Agents as well Jeanie handed him the keys to the palace.

Totally did agree about demotivate FA's, if they're going to come it's not going to stop them because a good roller player at best, got butt hurt. As far as 15/10 career, let's see how it translates to when games count 1st. And who's to say Lakers don't resign him if it only cost them 12m a yr.

FA's Lakers are going after already know about the sometimes hard and nasty business side of sports. FA's are going to come here if they think they have enough around them to win, at least the one's Lakers want!!! Imo


MAGICLAKEZ
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16636
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif
votes: 70

Dave wrote:
Good find guys- I read recently that he was playing "angry", and I thought it was because he thought he needed to step up his game. So this is why huh.

I get slightly concerned that he might end up snatching the ball from his own teammates in this mood. When he puts his head and barrels towards the bucket, it’s time to run for cover. Lol.


MAGICLAKEZ
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16636
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif
votes: 70

Tempy wrote:
It's a contract year, hope the Lakers are not fooled by inflated numbers. Nick Young and Clarkson two very recent examples.

He comes into 1 training camp in good (great really lol) shape and expects to get paid?

He has a job waiting for him at Venice beach....as a lifeguard. Lmao! Those abs would come in handy rescuing folks struggling in the pacific.


FrankBecerra
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1466
Location: Staples Center
votes: 2

I heard that Randle will be part of a package trade this year. I'm guessing that is why the Lakes didn't extend him.


MAGICLAKEZ
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16636
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif
votes: 70

Deleted...duplicate post


Tempy
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12805
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif
votes: 51

Skyeword wrote:
Magic is a bold faced liar basically. He tells the media one thing, supports his claims to the players and then turns around and does something different. It's the same behavior that got him fined $500K. They contract Weir, they put Randle on the bench,Magic says he expects a 'Breakout season' from Randle, it looks like Kuzma is going to rightfully take his spot in the rotation, there's no chance he gets a large contract if the Lakers get two F.A.s so they are washing their hands of him now.

This is classic Los Angeles ethics. You are either paid and famous or ignored and garbage. Recall how many players found out about being traded or fired via the media rather than Mitch. Magic is completely down with this approach and Randle has every right to be pissed. Professionalism does not mean one must be stoic. Professionalism includes the expectation that your employers are honest and respectful too. Randle must feel like a spring chicken who plumped up only to learn it was for the slaughterhouse. He slimmed down only to learn that he's getting traded but for whom? George, Cousins and James aren’t going anywhere this season nor perhaps next season either.

Hypothetical question. If it's not a contract year does Randle come into camp in this shape? I mean in reality he could have done it last year and then played for the contract extension this summer.

For me it's too little too late, he has talent but I don't think he is ever going to fulfill his potential.


Skyeword
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 7525
Location: Atlanta
us.gif
votes: 68

Tempy wrote:
Hypothetical question. If it's not a contract year does Randle come into camp in this shape? I mean in reality he could have done it last year and then played for the contract extension this summer.

For me it's too little too late, he has talent but I don't think he is ever going to fulfill his potential.

That's speculation, most players don't 'arrive' until there 4th to 6th seasons, and his potential is limited by his quirky shot where he does not extend when shooting especially on layups and near the basket.

He holds his elbows in (rather than correcting alignment during the release) causing him to have to turn his feet and body away from the hoop (slightly to the right) causing the ball to spin like a bowler's pitch and decreasing accuracy. My guess is that it's a childhood habit from being tall and getting slammed in the ribs repeatedly. I think this dramatically impacts his potential from being a 25/10 guy to a 15/8 guy and being in better shape has made no difference.

I don't think it's too late but despite the Lakers showing videos of specialists working with the players, most of this team is lacking in fundamentals so I don't have any confidence than anyone is working with Julius on his shot. If it were possible to combine Randle's athleticism and Kuzma's form, you'd have a superstar.


gemfow
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12402
Location: Maryland
us.gif
votes: 181

Tempy wrote:
Hypothetical question. If it's not a contract year does Randle come into camp in this shape? I mean in reality he could have done it last year and then played for the contract extension this summer.

For me it's too little too late, he has talent but I don't think he is ever going to fulfill his potential.

One thing I give Magic/Pelinka credit for is setting a standard. They wanted to have a running team and wanted guys to com in at under 8% body fat, Randle did that. Just because Randle was hoping to be offered an extension doesn't mean that he was trying to get max money.

This is a tactic that Mitch and Jim used, wait to see what's in free agency, wait for players to turn down their max money and then sign their own players after the fact.

Randle is essentially playing his third season now even though it's his fourth. Randle showed marginal improvement but I'm really curious to see if Lakers' fans give Ingram a pass if he only averages around the same numbers this season. Will Ingram get the Russell and Randle treatment if he desn't have a supreme jump in stats? Time will tell.


gemfow
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12402
Location: Maryland
us.gif
votes: 181

Skyeword wrote:
That's speculation, most players don't 'arrive' until there 4th to 6th seasons, and his potential is limited by his quirky shot where he does not extend when shooting especially on layups and near the basket.

He holds his elbows in (rather than correcting alignment during the release) causing him to have to turn his feet and body away from the hoop (slightly to the right) causing the ball to spin like a bowler's pitch and decreasing accuracy. My guess is that it's a childhood habit from being tall and getting slammed in the ribs repeatedly. I think this dramatically impacts his potential from being a 25/10 guy to a 15/8 guy and being in better shape has made no difference.

I don't think it's too late but despite the Lakers showing videos of specialists working with the players, most of this team is lacking in fundamentals so I don't have any confidence than anyone is working with Julius on his shot. If it were possible to combine Randle's athleticism and Kuzma's form, you'd have a superstar.

I kind of expect Magic/Pelinka to either let Julius walk (won't match an offer sheet) or try to move him in hopes of shedding Deng's contract. It's no secret that thee two want big names in LA. I'm also curious to see if LA fans turn on Ingram if he doesn't average 25 points in his second season. You know we have the most spoiled fans in the league.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14312
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

gemfow wrote:
One thing I give Magic/Pelinka credit for is setting a standard. They wanted to have a running team and wanted guys to com in at under 8% body fat, Randle did that. Just because Randle was hoping to be offered an extension doesn't mean that he was trying to get max money.

This is a tactic that Mitch and Jim used, wait to see what's in free agency, wait for players to turn down their max money and then sign their own players after the fact.

Randle is essentially playing his third season now even though it's his fourth. Randle showed marginal improvement but I'm really curious to see if Lakers' fans give Ingram a pass if he only averages around the same numbers this season. Will Ingram get the Russell and Randle treatment if he desn't have a supreme jump in stats? Time will tell.

For me I expected BI to take 3 to 4 years before we would see what he can or can't do coming out of draft. So I'm not going to judge him yet in his 2nd season. Watching him play, I still think a lot of his development will depend on how his body develops. As far as Randle, I still don't see the improvement in basketball IQ , but coming out of draft I didn't expect him to be a star, thought he'd be a good roller player, 3rd or 4th option on a good team. But don't know if that's enough for Lakers to resign him.


gemfow
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12402
Location: Maryland
us.gif
votes: 181

kkennon1 wrote:
For me I expected BI to take 3 to 4 years before we would see what he can or can't do coming out of draft. So I'm not going to judge him yet in his 2nd season. Watching him play, I still think a lot of his development will depend on how his body develops. As far as Randle, I still don't see the improvement in basketball IQ , but coming out of draft I didn't expect him to be a star, thought he'd be a good roller player, 3rd or 4th option on a good team. But don't know if that's enough for Lakers to resign him.

Every team needs players who can fill a role. If LA lets him walk then they're looking for another role guy. I see Randle as a jack of all trades and master of none and Lakers' management/fans probably shouldn't take the tone of, he's not a star so there is no need to re-sign him.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14312
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

gemfow wrote:
Every team needs players who can fill a role. If LA lets him walk then they're looking for another role guy. I see Randle as a jack of all trades and master of none and Lakers' management/fans probably shouldn't take the tone of, he's not a star so there is no need to re-sign him.

Agree, but I guess it will come down to how much he wants and how much they offer, if he's still on team at season's end or they want him back.

As far as looking for another role guy, think they have that at PF in Kuz or Nance. But to me right now ,Randle should be in front of Nance going by this preseason so far.


gemfow
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12402
Location: Maryland
us.gif
votes: 181

kkennon1 wrote:
Agree, but I guess it will come down to how much he wants and how much they offer, if he's still on team at season's end or they want him back.

As far as looking for another role guy, think they have that at PF in Kuz or Nance. But to me right now ,Randle should be in front of Nance going by this preseason so far.

Randle should be in front of Kuzma too. Kuzma may have had a better preseason in regards to shooting but it wasn't by that much to mean that Randle is replaced as the starter. Nance has done nothing to show me that he should start over Randle or even Kuzma, so maybe Luke is looking at something else that I'm not seeing.

I really like Kuzma, he can do a lot of things that should work well in that offense and I think the same goes for Randle who prefers to penetrate into the paint.

It's unfortunate that Ball was out of most of the preseason because I would have liked to have seen more. I absolutely hate his jumpshot, not because it's ugly but because I think it will be ineffective since he will have to pull off the dribble more since he is a pg. Teams will come under screens in hopes that he bricks the open threes.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14312
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

gemfow wrote:
Randle should be in front of Kuzma too. Kuzma may have had a better preseason in regards to shooting but it wasn't by that much to mean that Randle is replaced as the starter. Nance has done nothing to show me that he should start over Randle or even Kuzma, so maybe Luke is looking at something else that I'm not seeing.

I really like Kuzma, he can do a lot of things that should work well in that offense and I think the same goes for Randle who prefers to penetrate into the paint.

It's unfortunate that Ball was out of most of the preseason because I would have liked to have seen more. I absolutely hate his jumpshot, not because it's ugly but because I think it will be ineffective since he will have to pull off the dribble more since he is a pg. Teams will come under screens in hopes that he bricks the open threes.

I disagree, going by how they played at same stage, Kuz is way ahead of Randle, Not just in shooting ,by overall game. But I still don't think Kuz should be in starting lineup right away. Think Kuz will get plenty of playing time coming off bench at 3 and 4 spot.

Also don't necessarily think Randle prefers to penetrate, think he just doesn't have confidence in his jumper. Either way I think he'll be coming off bench if he stays on team in the future.

With Lonzo I see a lot of growing pains, but he seems to have a high IQ ,and has been successful at every level so far. Think he'll be one of the top pg's in league someday. But I do think eventually he'll have to tweak his shot some. Imo


Skyeword
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 7525
Location: Atlanta
us.gif
votes: 68

gemfow wrote:
I kind of expect Magic/Pelinka to either let Julius walk (won't match an offer sheet) or try to move him in hopes of shedding Deng's contract. It's no secret that thee two want big names in LA. I'm also curious to see if LA fans turn on Ingram if he doesn't average 25 points in his second season. You know we have the most spoiled fans in the league.

He's not ready physically, emotionally and perhaps skill wise to be what is asked of him. Maybe in 2-3 years. I hope I'm wrong. His teammates have confidence in him.

I note his legs are much stronger this year. He's soft spoken and not the leader type. I don't think he's forcing things, I think he's trying to be someone he's not based on the pressure Magic has applied.


Skyeword
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 7525
Location: Atlanta
us.gif
votes: 68

gemfow wrote:
Randle should be in front of Kuzma too. Kuzma may have had a better preseason in regards to shooting but it wasn't by that much to mean that Randle is replaced as the starter. Nance has done nothing to show me that he should start over Randle or even Kuzma, so maybe Luke is looking at something else that I'm not seeing.

I really like Kuzma, he can do a lot of things that should work well in that offense and I think the same goes for Randle who prefers to penetrate into the paint.

It's unfortunate that Ball was out of most of the preseason because I would have liked to have seen more. I absolutely hate his jumpshot, not because it's ugly but because I think it will be ineffective since he will have to pull off the dribble more since he is a pg. Teams will come under screens in hopes that he bricks the open threes.

I agree with all of this... Randle is still very effective and has had multiple steals, rebounds and changed shots in most of the pre-season games. If he plays 30+ minutes, I think we can expect 17/9 this season with 3 assists and a steal per game. Why is everyone complaining and saying nothing about Nance? Nance drives me nuts as his production is steady but low. He's not a scorer on a team that has an anemic offense and said in an interview yesterday that "I'm a very skilled offensive player and look forward to showing that to the fans." With all of that leaping ability, why only rare blocked shots? Magic will keep him though because of the highlight dunks.

Ball proved his worth in the Summer to my surprise and I became a fan but I remain very concerned that he's gonna be below average in the half court because of his shot and lateral motion. I'm hoping he can average about 12apg right out of the block and define himself while he develops an NBA offensive style. His height would be an advantage if he shot like Kuzma. It's a disadvantage though when playing defense against the Walls and the Currys and the Lillards...


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14312
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

Skyeword wrote:
I agree with all of this... Randle is still very effective and has had multiple steals, rebounds and changed shots in most of the pre-season games. If he plays 30+ minutes, I think we can expect 17/9 this season with 3 assists and a steal per game. Why is everyone complaining and saying nothing about Nance? Nance drives me nuts as his production is steady but low. He's not a scorer on a team that has an anemic offense and said in an interview yesterday that "I'm a very skilled offensive player and look forward to showing that to the fans." With all of that leaping ability, why only rare blocked shots? Magic will keep him though because of the highlight dunks.

Ball proved his worth in the Summer to my surprise and I became a fan but I remain very concerned that he's gonna be below average in the half court because of his shot and lateral motion. I'm hoping he can average about 12apg right out of the block and define himself while he develops an NBA offensive style. His height would be an advantage if he shot like Kuzma. It's a disadvantage though when playing defense against the Walls and the Currys and the Lillards...

Ball will look very bad at times, and very good others. Think he needs,to get stronger, and as you said ,lateral motion. Also needs to develop a floater going to basket, saw him do it a couple of times in summer league, and it looked very effective.

Also Lol, any player in league is at a disadvantage playing against Curry, Wall, Lillard and Westbrook.

Agree about Randle, seen some improvement, but also looks lost on court at times , Especially on help defense. But think he should be starting over Nance and Kuz right now. I never looked at Nance at being a starter in league anyways . Obviously there's something going on behind closed doors with Randle and FO.


gemfow
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12402
Location: Maryland
us.gif
votes: 181

kkennon1 wrote:
I disagree, going by how they played at same stage, Kuz is way ahead of Randle, Not just in shooting ,by overall game. But I still don't think Kuz should be in starting lineup right away. Think Kuz will get plenty of playing time coming off bench at 3 and 4 spot.

Also don't necessarily think Randle prefers to penetrate, think he just doesn't have confidence in his jumper. Either way I think he'll be coming off bench if he stays on team in the future.

With Lonzo I see a lot of growing pains, but he seems to have a high IQ ,and has been successful at every level so far. Think he'll be one of the top pg's in league someday. But I do think eventually he'll have to tweak his shot some. Imo

You lost me. What are you disagreeing with?

Randle does prefer to penetrate. He has been like that since high school using bully ball and power spins to get to the basket. He can't do that at this level, it requires more skill to succeed at this level.

I agree that Ball does seem to have a high IQ but I personally don't believe he will be in the same league of passing like Magic and Kidd. I love how he gets the ball up and allows guys to get to the rim.

Of course there will be growing pains with Ball but he seems to be a smart kid who seems very even tempered, he should be fine.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14312
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

gemfow wrote:
You lost me. What are you disagreeing with?

Randle does prefer to penetrate. He has been like that since high school using bully ball and power spins to get to the basket. He can't do that at this level, it requires more skill to succeed at this level.

I agree that Ball does seem to have a high IQ but I personally don't believe he will be in the same league of passing like Magic and Kidd. I love how he gets the ball up and allows guys to get to the rim.

Of course there will be growing pains with Ball but he seems to be a smart kid who seems very even tempered, he should be fine.

About Kuz and Randle ,think Kuz was the better and more overall skilled player over Randle at same point coming in to league. But still don't think he should be in starting line-up right away.

And yes , Randle likes to go to basket, but like you said , it requires more skill at this level. And I haven't seen that much development away from basket in his game. So I'm saying if that's all he can do right now, than of course he prefers going bully ball. If he had an outside shot, it might be different.

No I don't think Zo will be in Magic and Kidd's league, but think he might be a top 10-15 pg in multiple seasons during his career , not saying all time.


Skyeword
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 7525
Location: Atlanta
us.gif
votes: 68

kkennon1 wrote:
Ball will look very bad at times, and very good others.

There's one of those answer again. How do you do it Nostradamus? Smile

The forecast for tomorrow is weathery with a slight chance of oxygen and sunlight. :O Unbeeeelieeeevable!


Skyeword
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 7525
Location: Atlanta
us.gif
votes: 68

Lopez is calling for Nance to be his running mate which along with Ingram, Pope and Ball means that the Lakers scoring capability is below average and the the interior defense nearly non existent for the starters.

This means that Bogut / Zubac, Kuzma, Randle, Clarklson and Ennis / Pantherman will be coming off the bench and for now, that's a better squad.

Due to an accumulation of losses due to the absence of scoring and incomplete lineups, as well the need for Ball and Kuzma to play together, the lineup will change after Christmas I predict to Lopez, Kuzma, Randle, Ingram and Ball which is what Luke ought to do to start the season but likely will not. Can't Kuzma or particularly Ingram play the 2? Kuzma and Ingram are also very good defensive players and that squad could run team to death! The bench then includes Pope which I highly recommend given that Magic is gonna trade Clarkson and Randle soon anyway. If Ingram's shooting continues to dwell in the 27% range, then rethink his role in the NBA and bench him.


TERRY-TEAGLE
Laker GM
Posts: 3664
Location: Belmont Shores,CA
votes: 41

Randle will not be a Laker at the All-Star break ... and Clarkson might join him


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14312
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

Skyeword wrote:
There's one of those answer again. How do you do it Nostradamus? Smile

The forecast for tomorrow is weathery with a slight chance of oxygen and sunlight. :O Unbeeeelieeeevable!

Lol, he's a rookie and that's what rookies usually do in their 1st season. He's got a lot of things to work on, while he's passing game should be good. So he'll look good some nights and other nights I'm sure some on here will be saying WTF. LOL


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14312
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

Skyeword wrote:
There's little to no chance of winning another championship in Cleveland. Their two star PG's are cripples! He might go to Houston or OKC to assure a few trophies or to LA to build one like he did in Miami and Cleveland I figure are the most obvious scenarios. He has no reason to remain in Cleveland and he knows that he will destroy the franchise to ruin if he waits until the end of the year and walks. Even if they trade him on the last day of the Trade Deadline, Gilbert and company will beg him to allow this if he intends to leave and all indications are that he will despite my own thinking that he might choose fidelity over legacy this time.

I would have agreed with you before, but think he'd be crazy to leave, the East will be a cake walk to get through now, and with that pick from Nets, they could make a trade for another star next season and free up cap space at same time. Coming to LA, even with another star doesn't get them past GS. Imo

Besides the point that he's already said that he won't wave no trade Claus for any reason.


Shepherd
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 11041

ez.gif
votes: 55

I wouldn't worry too much about Randle and his moods. The team is not obligated to extend him yet. And in many cases in the league the opposite happens. A team offers and the player sits on it half a season, like RW. It's all part of the game, and his agent should be telling him that. He's a borderline re-sign, so the team will be evaluating him for a while, weighing their options. Imo the new FO is swinging for the fences, and they'd best beware, or come this offseason none of their targets will come here and we'll be left with a mediocre team again, dream vanished. That said I'd still roll the dice and trade Randle/Clarky and Deng. Then evaluate the 5 spot and see about Zu. With so many young players there's a lot of decisions to make.


JJCali
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8544

us.gif
votes: 22

kkennon1 wrote:
Totally did agree about demotivate FA's, if they're going to come it's not going to stop them because a good roller player at best, got butt hurt. As far as 15/10 career, let's see how it translates to when games count 1st. And who's to say Lakers don't resign him if it only cost them 12m a yr.

FA's Lakers are going after already know about the sometimes hard and nasty business side of sports. FA's are going to come here if they think they have enough around them to win, at least the one's Lakers want!!! Imo

In my opinion, as of right now, none of those superstar free agents are going to come here anyways. Maybe George, if Ingram doesn't look that great and OKC doesn't get close to the finals. Maybe. But that'd be about it. So I can definitely see the Lakers just end up re-signing Randle anyways as a free agent. Wouldn't be surprised if he and KCP are brought back. Kkennon is right that Randle hasn't technically done anything to receive a huge contract, except that the market will dictate that. Far lesser players are cashing in huge right now. That is the current structure, as previously stated. He will get a huge contract somewhere. Possibly even max. Plus you're next contract is never about what you've done, but what you're projected to do moving forward. He's still very young and puts up decent numbers. With any improvement from last year, he'll get that huge contract somewhere.


Shepherd
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 11041

ez.gif
votes: 55

JJCali wrote:
In my opinion, as of right now, none of those superstar free agents are going to come here anyways. Maybe George, if Ingram doesn't look that great and OKC doesn't get close to the finals. Maybe. But that'd be about it. So I can definitely see the Lakers just end up re-signing Randle anyways as a free agent. Wouldn't be surprised if he and KCP are brought back. Kkennon is right that Randle hasn't technically done anything to receive a huge contract, except that the market will dictate that. Far lesser players are cashing in huge right now. That is the current structure, as previously stated. He will get a huge contract somewhere. Possibly even max. Plus you're next contract is never about what you've done, but what you're projected to do moving forward. He's still very young and puts up decent numbers. With any improvement from last year, he'll get that huge contract somewhere.

Just because that's the trend doesn't mean we have to follow it. If someone offers him big money, good for him. Good luck with your new team JR. Doesn't have to be us.


JJCali
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8544

us.gif
votes: 22

gemfow wrote:
One thing I give Magic/Pelinka credit for is setting a standard. They wanted to have a running team and wanted guys to com in at under 8% body fat, Randle did that. Just because Randle was hoping to be offered an extension doesn't mean that he was trying to get max money.

This is a tactic that Mitch and Jim used, wait to see what's in free agency, wait for players to turn down their max money and then sign their own players after the fact.

Randle is essentially playing his third season now even though it's his fourth. Randle showed marginal improvement but I'm really curious to see if Lakers' fans give Ingram a pass if he only averages around the same numbers this season. Will Ingram get the Russell and Randle treatment if he desn't have a supreme jump in stats? Time will tell.

Time won't tell, the fans are already doing that to Ingram after only the preseason lol. We Lakers fans are the worst when it comes to that. Ingram will absolutely get killed by Lakers fans if he doesn't have a huge jump in production.


JJCali
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8544

us.gif
votes: 22

gemfow wrote:
You lost me. What are you disagreeing with?

Randle does prefer to penetrate. He has been like that since high school using bully ball and power spins to get to the basket. He can't do that at this level, it requires more skill to succeed at this level.

I agree that Ball does seem to have a high IQ but I personally don't believe he will be in the same league of passing like Magic and Kidd. I love how he gets the ball up and allows guys to get to the rim.

Of course there will be growing pains with Ball but he seems to be a smart kid who seems very even tempered, he should be fine.

I don't think it's just that he doesn't have enough skill to get to the rim, but that his jump shot is not consistent enough yet to keep defenders honest. If that's what you meant then I totally agree. Once he has a consistent 15-18 foot jumpshot he'll be able to get to rim at will.


JJCali
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8544

us.gif
votes: 22

Shepherd wrote:
Just because that's the trend doesn't mean we have to follow it. If someone offers him big money, good for him. Good luck with your new team JR. Doesn't have to be us.

True. I didn't say it had to be us. But think there's also a good chance that we strike out in free agency and just resign Randle. Which may actually be the ideal scenario anyways.


Shepherd
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 11041

ez.gif
votes: 55

JJCali wrote:
True. I didn't say it had to be us. But think there's also a good chance that we strike out in free agency and just resign Randle. Which may actually be the ideal scenario anyways.

Just as likely we lose Randle AND strike out in FA. It's the Laker way of late lol. Esp if they get nothing in return for him and just let him walk. That would be typical of the last 5 years. So let's hope they've finally learned something. Or maybe it's not just the Laker way as such, but the LA mind set. If so it could torpedo the team. Now that the Dodgers are hot, Magic will want to do the same for the Lakers.


Skyeword
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 7525
Location: Atlanta
us.gif
votes: 68

Shepherd wrote:
Just as likely we lose Randle AND strike out in FA. It's the Laker way of late lol. Esp if they get nothing in return for him and just let him walk. That would be typical of the last 5 years. So let's hope they've finally learned something. Or maybe it's not just the Laker way as such, but the LA mind set. If so it could torpedo the team. Now that the Dodgers are hot, Magic will want to do the same for the Lakers.

That's what I figure is going to happen as well Lopez and Pope will vacate, Clarkson will have already been traded along with Randle and D-Russ is gonna be laughing his butt off on Brooklyn with his 23/8/5 stat line.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14312
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

Skyeword wrote:
That's what I figure is going to happen as well Lopez and Pope will vacate, Clarkson will have already been traded along with Randle and D-Russ is gonna be laughing his butt off on Brooklyn with his 23/8/5 stat line.

Don't know if he'll be laughing to much if Nets still suck in a weak East. Lol


userpete1037
LNS HOF Platinum
Posts: 20032
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif
votes: 18

Reading all these comments tells me everybody's excited about the 1st game Thursday.....wink...wink...lol.


Skyeword
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 7525
Location: Atlanta
us.gif
votes: 68

userpete1037 wrote:
Reading all these comments tells me everybody's excited about the 1st game Thursday.....wink...wink...lol.

So Lakers by 22 Pete? Smile



Options Quick Reply: RE: Julius Randle Upset About Not Being Offered Extension
register
You are an anonymous user- or .
Quote the last message
Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)
Notify me when a reply is posted
Don't Check Spelling
Note: Twitter & Youtube BBCODE Tags are no longer necessary. The system will automatically convert links to tweets & youtube videos.
   
 
Go To the Top of the ThreadGo Home
Post new topic   Reply to topic
register
You are an anonymous user- Register now or Log in Now!


Add our Los Angeles Lakers Blog RSS Feed, the Lakers Rumors RSS Feed, the Lakers News RSS feed, and the Lakers Forum RSS feed to get the latest Laker News and Rumors and Lakers Game info in your RSS/XML reader!