Magic and Pelinka Make Their First Move and I Hate It. (P. 2)

Lakers Forum » Lakers Blogs
Author Search This Topic:
 
SPQR
votes: 291
LNS HOF Bronze

Posts: 9286
Location: Pennsylvania
I heard something on the radio this morning that really caught my attention. They had a reporter on who said the sole reason Jerry West was brought in and paid 5 million a year was to lure Lebron in next year. You know, West is the logo of highest respect and reputation and also has a good relationship with Lebron. That got me thinking. You know in all my years of watching all sports, I have never seen a league revolve around a guy like the NBA does with James. I mean every single big move ever since he went to Miami seems to be predicated on either beating him or getting him. Now look what all has happened in the last two years. This super team we have out in Golden State, the current and future NBA champ it was made by Lebron James. They had to get Durant to climb James Mountain. Now you have the Clippers giving Jerry West 5 million a year to come in and get Lebron. And in the same city, you have one of the two most storied franchises in NBA history, the Lakers, trying to trade away their high draft pick and young players of the future to bring in veterans to get Lebron to come here. I don't know who gave James the name the King, but man was that prescient. Lebron is not on the title team this year but make no mistake, the NBA world and all it's teams still revolve around him and him alone. It's all about what you need to do to beat him or how you can throw away your future to get him. He truly is The King. In the case of the Clippers and Lakers, we will now be treated to the sight of one ancient Lakers legend, Jerry West, and one....

TERRY-TEAGLE
votes: 41
Laker GM
Posts: 3664
Location: Belmont Shores,CA

NBA SXM Radio with Joel Meyers:

"There's no one in this world who thinks the Lakers got the short end of that deal."

On Russell/Lopez

SPQR
votes: 291
LNS HOF Bronze

Posts: 9286
Location: Pennsylvania

TERRY-TEAGLE wrote:
NBA SXM Radio with Joel Meyers:

"There's no one in this world who thinks the Lakers got the short end of that deal."

On Russell/Lopez

I guess many here are living on a different planet. Meyer's should visit someday.

Every sports team on this earth has a local shill in the media, usually one of the game broadcasters, who spouts the company line no matter what.. All of you who live in different cities know the name or names of those in your city, just as I do here in Pittsburgh.

Joel Meyers is one of that breed of kiss * as. So of course in his alternate reality no one on this earth thinks it's a bad deal.

I guess Meyers also somehow missed the multiple national articles I read last night who were just as shocked and castigated Magic and FO as some of us were and did. Or didn't hear some in the broadcast media doing the same last night and this morning.

What he should have said was no one on planet Lakers kiss * as thinks it's a bad deal.

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16783
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif
kkennon1 wrote:
First up Kyler is a Bum. Lol. He is a known laker hater and a beat writer for Orlando Magic. And talking about Magic he was about to dump the number 2 pick to pave the way for Paul St George. You think for the long term health of this franchise PG is more important than Ball? They really never cared about the #2 pick, just like they never cared about DLo and mark my words if they get an opportunity they will jettison Ingram and others as well. They only want big names. At least the jackassses who....

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16783
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

TERRY-TEAGLE wrote:
NBA SXM Radio with Joel Meyers:

"There's no one in this world who thinks the Lakers got the short end of that deal."

On Russell/Lopez

TT, nice to know you listen to NBA radio as well. I really love listening to all different perspectives out there: from Mohorn, Greenberg, Howie, Termine and Eddie Jackson. Speaking of Termine here is what he had to say.

Interesting tweet by Termine(XM NBA radio)

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16783
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

JJCali
votes: 22
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8544

us.gif

SPQR wrote:
Man,

I am really starting to hate Magic and Pelinka.

Check out this "Master Plan" those two put together:

https://www.thescore.com/news/1322120

Can it get any worse?

It's like Mitch and Jim never left.

I'm talking a strong, healthy, serious I want your butts fired and gone, because I can't stand the sight of you or the sound of your stupid voice, long term hate. Not some mild case that might go away some time.

That's what I was saying yesterday! This plan is f-ing trash! So far I say much worse than Mitch. We're going to end up with something like George and cousins and B. Lopez and idiots will be excited. Then we will get bounced in the 1st round with an atrocious payroll. At least under Mitch there was a chance of winning, and several times we did. But we won't have a Kobe to save us this time around.

laker2thegrave
votes: 15
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1380

The other thing Magic and Rob missed is now Ball comes in with no safety net. He will struggle like all rookies do their first season especially at the Lead guard spot. DLO would have helped with that when needed. Even Magic had Norm Nixon to lean on that first season (even if he didn't necessarily need it). Heck even Kobe had Eddie Jones to work with and didn't have to take all the weight his rookie season.

I love JC, but he can't fill that role like DLO from a playing standpoint. DLO may not have been the prototypical lead guard, but he was better at it then JC.

TERRY-TEAGLE
votes: 41
Laker GM
Posts: 3664
Location: Belmont Shores,CA

JJCali wrote:
That's what I was saying yesterday! This plan is f-ing trash! So far I say much worse than Mitch. We're going to end up with something like George and cousins and B. Lopez and idiots will be excited. Then we will get bounced in the 1st round with an atrocious payroll. At least under Mitch there was a chance of winning, and several times we did. But we won't have a Kobe to save us this time around.

Lopez gets dealt at deadline or walks... he won't be in this team after next year .

So let me get his straight ... our team will be worse with George and Cousins on it ... lol ok

And if it wasn't for those two idiots signing Moz and Deng,Russell might still be here ... so blame them

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14355
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

JJCali wrote:
That's what I was saying yesterday! This plan is f-ing trash! So far I say much worse than Mitch. We're going to end up with something like George and cousins and B. Lopez and idiots will be excited. Then we will get bounced in the 1st round with an atrocious payroll. At least under Mitch there was a chance of winning, and several times we did. But we won't have a Kobe to save us this time around.

So we get all-star players, but we're worse. How does that work. Just don't get people being mad about one player that has been up and down since he's been here, and FO obviously had a problem with. Think a lot of fans are over rating he's value, go to websites for other teams and see what they think of some of the core. Do you think Nets were 1st team Lakers called to trade him to, they we're turned down a number of teams, especially in top 12. Ever since Lakers drafted Randle and Russell , I've read how Lakers FO has a higher value on them they rest of league. I've posted on how when comparing draft classes Ingram was only core player in top 13 in this draft as far as analysis were concerned. Now everybody's projecting forward on what Lakers going to do. Guess it because Lakers draft Dlo, but sometimes things just do workout. Look at MCW, he was rookie of the year with Philly, look where he's at.

They hype these draft up so much now , when there's really only a few players that really amount to anything as far as stars.

LakersLyfe
votes: 1
NewsSurge Newbie
Posts: 13
Hey Guys, Longtime reader, first time poster. With the latest threads on this forum, I had to comment. All of the people that are saying the the D.Lo trade was awful and blah blah blah.... ...Are you guys for real?! Do you really think you know better than Magic Johnson and Rob Pelinka? Not to mention every other pundit that's agreed, this was a fantastic move for the Lakers? Really?! REEEALLLY!!?? You guys know better than guys who have been in the sport/industry/league for +20 years?? GM's jobs is to look to improve the team and satisfy the fan base, both in the immediate, and in most cases, for the future. It sounds so absurd when people get on this forum and let us know (in their non existent experience as anything other than a fan) that Magic (freakin) Johnson and Rob Pelinka, two of the smartest minds in professional basketball, screwed up with this trade. Mozgov had the #1 WORST contract in the NBA, this was agreed upon by virtually ever legitimate analyst in sports. But you guys know better? I mean, it's laughable. Again, we just dumped the single WORST contract in the NBA in exchange for another first round draft pick and a center in his prime that averages over 20 points per game. Yes, we gave up an asset that has some potential, certainly we took a loss there. But as every respectable pundit has concurred, this was a wise and productive move for our team. This isn't a question or a debate, it was a good move for us, period. And it will prove to be an even better move for us, when they flip some of the new assets into Paul George and maybe, LeBron James. I'm urging you guys to consider the fact that some of the most brilliant....

TERRY-TEAGLE
votes: 41
Laker GM
Posts: 3664
Location: Belmont Shores,CA

kkennon1 wrote:
So we get all-star players, but we're worse. How does that work. Just don't get people being mad about one player that has been up and down since he's been here, and DO obviously had a problem with. Think a lot of fans are over rating he's value, go to websites for other teams and see what they think of some of the core. Do you think Nets were 1st team Lakers called to trade him to, they we're turned down a number of teams, especially in top 12. Ever since Lakers drafted Randle and Russell , I've read how Lakers FO has a higher value on them they rest of league. I've posted on how when comparing draft classes Ingram was only core player in top 13 in this draft as far as analysis were concerned. Now everybody's projecting forward on what Lakers going to do. Guess it because Lakers draft Dlo, but sometimes things just do workout. Look at MCW, he was rookie of the year with Philly, look where he's at.

They hype these draft up so much now , when there's really only a few players that really amount to anything as far as stars.

SPQR
votes: 291
LNS HOF Bronze

Posts: 9286
Location: Pennsylvania
Lakerslyfe, Always good to see long time reader finally post. But I'm going to tell you flat out honestly, you could not be more wrong in what you said. That is a misconception among some fans that because someone has been involved in a sport as a player or coach or scout or GM that he is smarter than ALL fans. Not so by a long shot and I will use some examples to show you why. I will use my personal experiences here because I don't about and can't talk about the experiences of other fans on this site but I am sure there are dozens and dozens right here who can tell you of their own experiences. First off, like I said in the beginning of this thread, I blasted Mitch Kupchak for years for the moves he was making here. Let me start with the first one. When he signed Luke Walton to that insane contract I almost fell off my chair. Walton was a mediocre, limited player and ended up with a contract that helped hand cuff that great team from getting more good role players that could have and should extended that teams run. I said here that contract was absurd. Now all these years later, who was right, me or Mitch, who played ball for years, was around hoops his whole life, who "learned" at the knee of the logo for years? When the Lakers lost to OKC and then Dallas in the playoffs, I said Kobe would never win another ring. That the team needed to jettison Pau and all assets and start rebuilding and let Kobe move on. Mitch instead decided they would bring in vets and win another with Kobe.' Who was right, me or Mitch? And it was that decision by Mitch that got us years of misery....

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16783
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

^^^Randy, just wanted to point out that this is the first rodeo for both the aforementioned gents running the Lakers FO. They have zilch experience on that front. But looks like they are on course to surpass the highly seasoned/experienced predecessors in their rookie year itself...LOL.

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14355
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

SPQR, agree a lot of fans have been right about a lot of things. I myself said when Dlo was drafted that he was a sg and Lakers made a mistake if they drafted him to run point.

But it's all hindsight, we can all go back and say I told you so after the fact, but in the end, teams are going to go by what they think is best, right or wrong.

To me Lakers are being Lakers, it's always been about star players , I'm just hoping FO keeps a nice mix of young players to develop around possible star vets.

Not saying I agree with what looks like Magic and Ron's vision, but I'm not going to get bent out of shape over one player. It's not like we traded a Wiggins, Towns or AD.

In 4 or 5 years from now if we're right back here in rebuild, because they went " sign the superstar " without at least a western conference appearance or finals. With young players traded away, than I'll be the 1st to say you were right .

And also nominate you for GM. LOL

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12899
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

LakersLyfe wrote:
Hey Guys,

Longtime reader, first time poster.

With the latest threads on this forum, I had to comment.

All of the people that are saying the the D.Lo trade was awful and blah blah blah....

...Are you guys for real?! Do you really think you know better than Magic Johnson and Rob Pelinka? Not to mention every other pundit that's agreed, this was a fantastic move for the Lakers?

Really?! REEEALLLY!!??

You guys know better than guys who have been in the sport/industry/league for +20 years??

GM's jobs is to look to improve the team and satisfy the fan base, both in the immediate, and in most cases, for the future.

It sounds so absurd when people get on this forum and let us know (in their non existent experience as anything other than a fan) that Magic (freakin) Johnson and Rob Pelinka, two of the smartest minds in professional basketball, screwed up with this trade.

Just had to give my two cents. I absolutely love this site and the discourse it breeds, but I've noticed a trend of some frequent posters on this site, getting a little "big for their britches." I mean, come on people - we're everyday fans, not on the level of men that are being paid to run this team with decades of experience evaluating players, growing fan bases, predicting player movement, etc. etc.

PS: Is the anti Israel / anti Jewish sentiment being echoed on this forum going to be accepted??

Not only does it have no place here, but it's incredibly inaccurate, ignorant and idiotic.

Thanks for reading and GO LAKERS!

Have you read any of Magic's tweets? Did you see him coach the Lakers to an astounding 5-11 record? He does not have a great basketball mind outside of actually playing the game.

What credentials does Magic have for president of basketball operations that us fans don't have. He was not selected on merit that is for sure!

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14355
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

Tempy wrote:
Have you read any of Magic's tweets? Did you see him coach the Lakers to an astounding 5-11 record? He does not have a great basketball mind outside of actually playing the game.

What credentials does Magic have for president of basketball operations that us fans don't have. He was not selected on merit that is for sure!

What credentials did Kerr have before he was Suns GM or GS coach. Not saying Magic is going to be Jerry West, but he just got started, and I think getting rid of one of those incredible stupid contracts is a good start.

I get that people are upset with the trade, but I've heard a number of time on here how all the core aren't going to be with team, they aren't going to pay them all. Now it's actually happened and people are going crazy. Not saying you personally Tempy, just in general.

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12899
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

kkennon1 wrote:
SPQR, agree a lot of fans have been right about a lot of things. I myself said when Dlo was drafted that he was a sg and Lakers made a mistake if they drafted him to run point.

But it's all hindsight, we can all go back and say I told you so after the fact, but in the end, teams are going to go by what they think is best, right or wrong.

To me Lakers are being Lakers, it's always been about star players , I'm just hoping FO keeps a nice mix of young players to develop around possible star vets.

Not saying I agree with what looks like Magic and Ron's vision, but I'm not going to get bent out of shape over one player. It's not like we traded a Wiggins, Towns or AD.

In 4 or 5 years from now if we're right back here in rebuild, because they went " sign the superstar " without at least a western conference appearance or finals. With young players traded away, than I'll be the 1st to say you were right .

And also nominate you for GM. LOL

At the same time they are not getting a Wiggins, Towns or AD in return either.

PG13 is not a superstar, he is not good enough to lead a team in the East to the Finals, how is he going to do it in the West?

I'm not saying Russell is going to be a star, I've said many times I don't think any of the young core look like they will be, but these moves did not need to be made right now. The timing of all this is madness. Just as it was with the hiring of Luke.

What exactly is the rush?

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14355
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

Tempy wrote:
At the same time they are not getting a Wiggins, Towns or AD in return either.

PG13 is not a superstar, he is not good enough to lead a team in the East to the Finals, how is he going to do it in the West?

I'm not saying Russell is going to be a star, I've said many times I don't think any of the young core look like they will be, but these moves did not need to be made right now. The timing of all this is madness. Just as it was with the hiring of Luke.

What exactly is the rush?

We'll that's a whole different subject, teams are in the business to make money. It's all about improving team and Lakers brand. Not necessarily in that order. Lol

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12899
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

kkennon1 wrote:
What credentials did Kerr have before he was Suns GM or GS coach. Not saying Magic is going to be Jerry West, but he just got started, and I think getting rid of one of those incredible stupid contracts is a good start.

I get that people are upset with the trade, but I've heard a number of time on here how all the core aren't going to be with team, they aren't going to pay them all. Now it's actually happened and people are going crazy. Not saying you personally Tempy, just in general.

What exactly did Kerr achieve as sun's GM? Signing Shaq wasn't exactly a master stroke.

Anyways, yes it can work, but Magic's body of work, from his tweets to his media duties don't scream that he has a talented basketball mind. He was a fantastic player and achieved immense success, how does any of that translate to his role now?

Yes they needed to get rid of the deals, but would it be easier to deal Mozgov with 3 years left on his contract, or 2? What was the rush to do it now? Was Russell going to be any worse next season or would you expect to see him improve some?

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12899
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

kkennon1 wrote:
We'll that's a whole different subject, teams are in the business to make money. It's all about improving team and Lakers brand. Not necessarily in that order. Lol

But that's the plan, how much better off are the Lakers going to be next year after making these moves? 8th seed at best?

Has the team really improved? Sure they have cap space to throw at PG13 and another FA but have no legit Center, who are traditionally over paid. Sure Zubac might be that guy but it's going to cost a lot to keep him around. What ring chasers would want to join such a team?

Ball or Ingram better turn into an all star or this franchise is doomed for the next decade.

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14355
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

Tempy wrote:
But that's the plan, how much better off are the Lakers going to be next year after making these moves? 8th seed at best?

Has the team really improved? Sure they have cap space to throw at PG13 and another FA but have no legit Center, who are traditionally over paid. Sure Zubac might be that guy but it's going to cost a lot to keep him around. What ring chasers would want to join such a team?

Ball or Ingram better turn into an all star or this franchise is doomed for the next decade.

Well, you just said you didn't see any of the core being stars. So unless some if those core players turn into stars, than we were doomed anyways.

Also with no draft pick to root for next year , I'll be more than happy to get in playoffs at 7th or 8th seed.

LakersLyfe
votes: 1
NewsSurge Newbie
Posts: 13

Hindsight is 20/20.

Sure, you can find scenarios where GMs and Presidents have failed, of course. And SPQR, you could be right, but so could I / Magic / Rob.

Does the fact they have the job mean they're going to do well? Of course not.

But to say that I'm flat out wrong or you are, would both be misguided.

My point is, I have to believe that Magic and Rob have some sort of plan in mind for the future and aren't dealing our assets willy nilly.

Could it backfire? Sure. But their plan could work too.

My position is, to suggest we may know more than them is borderline absurd.

And let's be real, our patience based plans the last 4-5 years haven't been effective. And I like the fact that he new regime is using a different approach then what we've been taking, which has had us hovering around 20-25 wins the last 3 seasons.

I also think people underestimate just how bad Mozgov's contract was for us. Forget superstars, which we undoubtedly need, it could have hampered our plans to sign some of our youngsters to larger contracts, should they prove to deserve them.

I abolsutely acknowledge that we lost a young piece. But we also got back a player that's in his prime and gives us +20 points and again, dumped THE worst contract in the league.

And I'm sure you've read the reports that no one really wanted D Lo, his value wasn't what we thought. I have to think that that's an indicator that he's not as valuable as some fans we're making him out to be.

Could the majority of GMs be wrong as your argument suggests? Maybe. But I'm just saying, at foolish as fans, to assume we know half of what's actually going on.

On another note, is no one going to comment on the anti Israel / anti Jewish comment?

Those ridiculous and out of place comments makes me sick and to condone it by ignoring it damages the credibiiity of this forum IMO.

Love the point of view and happy to be a part of the Lakers discussion with true fans that aren't anti Semitic Smile

JJCali
votes: 22
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8544

us.gif

TERRY-TEAGLE wrote:
Lopez gets dealt at deadline or walks... he won't be in this team after next year .

So let me get his straight ... our team will be worse with George and Cousins on it ... lol ok

And if it wasn't for those two idiots signing Moz and Deng,Russell might still be here ... so blame them

A. I was using Lopez as an example. Point is a mediocre overpaid veteran.

B. Literally, at what point did I say that roster was worse than the current roster?... lol ok

C. If you want to look long term, that roster is actually much worse. That team will never have any chance to win a title. That's the worst place to be. Good, but not good enough to win it all.

D. I'm not going to blame the complete stupidity of this trade on the people that were dumb to sign Mozgov. Just because someone else makes a dumb move doesn't mean you have to make an even dumber move! Don't see the logic there.

LakersLyfe
votes: 1
NewsSurge Newbie
Posts: 13

"What credentials does Magic have for president of basketball operations that us fans don't have."

LOOOOOOOL.

This is exactly the mindset I'm talking about!

You can't be serious Tempy!

It's such an absurd statement I can't begin to list his accomplishments as it relates to basketball.

Furthermore, no one should be drawing conclusions about merit or competency based on tweets.

Come on people!

JJCali
votes: 22
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8544

us.gif

This is amazing that people actually think it was a good move to trade the 2nd overall pick for Brook Lopez! Smh. We basically got nothing in return! Lopez is just an expiring contract. Do we really think we know more than Magic and the pundits? Actually yes, very much so. There's not a single day that I don't listen to the pundits talk about the Lakers or the NBA and co Stanton get information wrong or say they don't know the details of a fact that I instantly know and get annoyed that they are on tv or the radio and don't know as much. Not to mention the stupid azz opinions we hear every day. Also, I didn't say our record would be worse in a year if we had George & cousins. I said it's a worse vision than Mitch Kupchak had. He also tried to chase free agent stars but at least he wasn't trading away the young players for nothing.

So the people that are ok with this trade, you're saying that you're ok trading this years number 2 for the 27th pick and an expiring contract? Cause that's what just happened. The only difference is the 2nd pick this year is still more unproven than the one we just traded.

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12899
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

LakersLyfe wrote:
"What credentials does Magic have for president of basketball operations that us fans don't have."

LOOOOOOOL.

This is exactly the mindset I'm talking about!

You can't be serious Tempy!

It's such an absurd statement I can't begin to list his accomplishments as it relates to basketball.

Furthermore, no one should be drawing conclusions about merit or competency based on tweets.

Come on people!

Give me just 1. That is one, uno, accomplishment that relates to him being qualified to run as president of basketball operations. You have a whole list of them.

LakersLyfe
votes: 1
NewsSurge Newbie
Posts: 13

It's more about business acumen.

I understand he's new to this particular position. But he's a proven successful business man with great relationships with a host of NBA figures.

But do you honestly think that you, or any "civilian" Laker fan with zero professional sports experience, is just as qualified to run the Lakers organization?

I was more speaking to the fact that you must be speaking sarcastically Wink

LakersLyfe
votes: 1
NewsSurge Newbie
Posts: 13

And success in the NBA as a player, on Magic's level at least, translates to some form of power in a front office role.

Look at the fact that people are already saying Lebron entertains the Lakers next year.

You think that happens without Magic and to a lesser degree Rob?

Absolutely not.

So while he may not have direct experience in this exact role, his accomplishments definitely translate to some advantages, and that's an understatement.

Be it with the Dodgers success, his success in the NBA, his insane business network and his overwhelmingly positive rapport with the league.

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14355
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

JJCali wrote:
A. I was using Lopez as an example. Point is a mediocre overpaid veteran.

B. Literally, at what point did I say that roster was worse than the current roster?... lol ok

C. If you want to look long term, that roster is actually much worse. That team will never have any chance to win a title. That's the worst place to be. Good, but not good enough to win it all.

D. I'm not going to blame the complete stupidity of this trade on the people that were dumb to sign Mozgov. Just because someone else makes a dumb move doesn't mean you have to make an even dumber move! Don't see the logic there.

So how do you get better unless you bring in better player? Just hope and pray one or 2 of your young players turn in to a star. Than what happens if 3 or 4 years from now they haven't and they're up for 1st big contract? Let them walk and start over?

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12899
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

kkennon1 wrote:
Well, you just said you didn't see any of the core being stars. So unless some if those core players turn into stars, than we were doomed anyways.

Also with no draft pick to root for next year , I'll be more than happy to get in playoffs at 7th or 8th seed.

But they could and probably should be solid starters that could be added to. Why give them away in the hope of free agents coming then still have to replace them with comparable talent.

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12899
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

LakersLyfe wrote:
It's more about business acumen.

I understand he's new to this particular position. But he's a proven successful business man with great relationships with a host of NBA figures.

But do you honestly think that you, or any "civilian" Laker fan with zero professional sports experience, is just as qualified to run the Lakers organization?

I was more speaking to the fact that you must be speaking sarcastically Wink

The point is he has no qualifications, just as you and I don't, other than be a celebrity from his playing days. If he had not played for the Lakers he would never have been hired in that role. You want to tell me that's how successful businesses are run?

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14355
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

Tempy wrote:
But they could and probably should be solid starters that could be added to. Why give them away in the hope of free agents coming then still have to replace them with comparable talent.

They traded one player. Now if they start getting rid of more , than I definitely agree with you. Unless it's for a better young player.

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12899
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

LakersLyfe wrote:
And success in the NBA as a player, on Magic's level at least, translates to some form of power in a front office role.

Look at the fact that people are already saying Lebron entertains the Lakers next year.

You think that happens without Magic and to a lesser degree Rob?

Absolutely not.

So while he may not have direct experience in this exact role, his accomplishments definitely translate to some advantages, and that's an understatement.

Be it with the Dodgers success, his success in the NBA, his insane business network and his overwhelmingly positive rapport with the league.

Magic has no influence on day to day operations with the dodgers. It's like saying i helped apple become what they are today because I own shares in them.

I don't understand how getting a 33 and a half year old LeBron with an insane amount of mileage already on his body, and past his prime is going to be classed as an achievement. Did nobody learn anything from that last Kobe contract?

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12899
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

kkennon1 wrote:
They traded one player. Now if they start getting rid of more , than I definitely agree with you. Unless it's for a better young player.

The indicator is already glowing that this is the plan. Randle and picks for PG13 or trying to trade the #2 for the Kings picks. Lol how are people not seeing this......

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16783
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

LOL!!!

SPQR
votes: 291
LNS HOF Bronze

Posts: 9286
Location: Pennsylvania
Lakerslyfe, You are changing the topic now. Of course I could be wrong. I've been wrong many times in the past and will be again. I was simply showing that your very pointed statement, Do any of you fans REALLY, REALLY believe you could know more than an expert like Magic Johnson? The answer to that is YES. Fans can certainly know more than Magic or any so called sports expert. Magic is not infallible. No one is, not even a legend like Saban or Billechik. I'll give you one last bit of proof with Magic himself as the arbiter. One of the hottest bones of contention on this site for months was should we trade for Dwight Howard? I and a vocal minority were dead set against it. I had a lot reasons and argued vehemently about it, but it really boiled down to him being vastly overrated in many areas which included offense, defense and effort given. The other reason was very obvious. When Howard refused to sign that extension, you knew damn well he was one and done here. You who loved that trade? Magic. The guy you said no fan can really, really think they know more than. So did that exact guy you used as an example, Magic, know more about getting Howard than those fans here who argued against that deal for months? Here is just one article about how he felt: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/08/magic-john son-on-dwight-howard-to-la-theyre-contenders/1#.WUs5k-mQxxA It's already a proven fact fans could know more than Magic just in that instance. You know another trade Magic just loved? Giving up the two first round picks and two second round picks for 38 year old Nash. One of the biggest theft trades in NBA history. You know who hated the Howard and Nash trades after the fact, with hindsight? Magic. But unlike fans, the GM is not afforded the....

JJCali
votes: 22
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8544

us.gif

LakersLyfe wrote:
And success in the NBA as a player, on Magic's level at least, translates to some form of power in a front office role.

Look at the fact that people are already saying Lebron entertains the Lakers next year.

You think that happens without Magic and to a lesser degree Rob?

Absolutely not.

So while he may not have direct experience in this exact role, his accomplishments definitely translate to some advantages, and that's an understatement.

Be it with the Dodgers success, his success in the NBA, his insane business network and his overwhelmingly positive rapport with the league.

Smh... that absolutely happens. Because it has happened every single year. In case you haven't been paying attention. In fact James himself has been rumored to come her multiple offseasons. Last year Durant was rumored to come here. And every other big name has been rumored to come here. What are you talking about?

JJCali
votes: 22
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8544

us.gif

kkennon1 wrote:
So how do you get better unless you bring in better player? Just hope and pray one or 2 of your young players turn in to a star. Than what happens if 3 or 4 years from now they haven't and they're up for 1st big contract? Let them walk and start over?

Ok, first of all I will answer your question with a question. In regards to this trade, what better player did we get? Lopez?!?! Second, F yeah one or more of your multiple lottery picks better turn into stars. That's why they were drafted there. You don't draft at #2 overall for 3 straight years to get 3 role players.

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14355
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

JJCali wrote:
Ok, first of all I will answer your question with a question. In regards to this trade, what better player did we get? Lopez?!?! Second, F yeah one or more of your multiple lottery picks better turn into stars. That's why they were drafted there. You don't draft at #2 overall for 3 straight years to get 3 role players.

Just because you drafted in too of draft doesn't mean they'll turn into stars. Matter of fact, very few have , percentage wise. So are you going to keep being bad until you get lucky and draft a star, or try to sign a star or 2 to go with your good roll players?

TERRY-TEAGLE
votes: 41
Laker GM
Posts: 3664
Location: Belmont Shores,CA

JJCali wrote:
Ok, first of all I will answer your question with a question. In regards to this trade, what better player did we get? Lopez?!?! Second, F yeah one or more of your multiple lottery picks better turn into stars. That's why they were drafted there. You don't draft at #2 overall for 3 straight years to get 3 role players.

Did Rob and Magic draft the previous #2 picks? Will you blame Magic and Rob if the don't pan out?

This deal will make us better now and for the future ... too many of you are looking at it in the "now"..... we weren't going anywhere with Russell this year or next year. Like I said, the 2nd max guy we sign will be a better player then Russell will be, guarantee that

You won't even think about Russell in a year

thatguyoverthere
votes: 13
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1939

The same people that criticized Jim and Mitch for the Nash and Dwight moves had better not be the ones applauding this trade, because both trades are similar in that they mortgage the future for the present. Giving up a 21-year old player that has room to grow, some post moves, and the potential for a good 3-point shot, for a CHANCE at getting a top-name free agent in free agency (which is not really that star-studded in 2018 and 2019) seems like a bad move to me at the moment.

Now, the only thing I might concede is that Magic and Luke know what it's like to play with (and/or coach) a group of motivated players striving for a championship. If, after several months of deliberation, both Magic and Luke still had major red flags about D'Angelo's commitment to working with the team and being a hard worker (which I have not seen much evidence about other than random tweets flying around), then my view on this trade might soften. I still feel like Magic and Pelinka jumped the gun prematurely, though.

This trade would be redeemed in my eyes in the near future if:

  1. The Lakers are able to trade for Paul George using the picks from Houston and Brooklyn (Boston), while unloading Deng and not trading away Clarkson or Randle. That's a tall order, but to me, that's the only reason why pulling the gun on the D'Angelo trade that fast would have make sense.

  2. The Lakers sign Brook Lopez to a ~15 million/year 3-year contract with a team option for the last year. Letting Brook go for cap space would be a tremendous waste, as he is still a good Center that can actually stretch the floor. I like Zubac, but I don't think he's ready to come into his own yet. He can also pick up a thing or two from Lopez as well, and I like knowing that the Center position is in good hands with Lopez and Zubac.

  3. D'Angelo ends up not improving much.

I guess we will see tomorrow how this all pans out.

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16783
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif
I would have heralded this FO had they succeeded in moving Mozgov, while giving up a lesser player like JC or Nance followed closely by Randle. There is a logjam at the PF position anyways. Throw in the 28th pick and a future pick if you may. But giving up on a 21 yr old who held his own against all adversity playing the hardest position in the NBA, going up against perennial all star west conf guards on a nightly basis, is a bit hard to swallow. He was the only bright spot last season. We just gave up on him too soon. Ingram was much worse on both of ends of the floor in his rookie season but his humble demanour prevented fan outbursts. I'm a staunch Ingram fan btw...just keeping it real. Laker fans were really ruthless with him and now the FO followed suit. At least the previous regime fired Scott and chose Russell. This regime seemed hell bent on seeking revenge for the fired showtime mate. What was the rush to dump those contract now? Lol. You could have still acquired Pg without dumping those contracts. There was no reason they couldn’t have made Tuesday’s move in, say, one year. At that point, you have a year under your belt, a clearer idea of which pieces of the young core fit and most importantly, a much lower asking price for teams to take on Mozgov or Luol Deng’s contracts. There would be just 2 years left on their contracts at that point. It wouldn’t have taken a D’Angelo Russell to move the deal. Just heard that the Suns refused to include Devin Booker in a deal that would have sent him to NY for Porzingiz. But we used Russell for dumping Mozgov's salary. Suns won't give up Booker....

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14355
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

Think I'd rather have booker.

MontanewKB24
votes: 2
Serious Laker Fan
Posts: 241

Multiple people are getting mad that we traded Russell and saying we've pulled the trigger and are forgetting about the young core and chasing stars. We traded one guy that wasn't really a fit for our team. We kept our draft pick. We're also trying to trade clarkson which we won't need seeing as we will have ball and ennis who showed some promise last year, along with our two late draft picks for Paul George who is 26-27!!! We didn't trade for a 38 year old point guard again. How is it that people are making it seem that the 2 first rounds for Steve Nash was bad but trading Russell for Lopez to get rid of a terrible contract and gain a top 5 center in the league in his prime and on an expiring contract a bad deal? In 3-4 years when our guys are developed and we keep getting more players George will be 29-30 and still have years left in his prime. George also has never played with a real point guard. George hill? Jeff Teague? Ellis? Cmon...I bet if we get George he averages 28-30 next year. Count on it. We make the playoffs and our young guys get developed. Bringing George in will only make Ingram better as well cause he's gonna have to guard him in practice everyday.

userpete1037
votes: 18
LNS HOF Platinum
Posts: 20294
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:

LOL!!!

That's a good one MAGIC.....lol.

LakersLyfe
votes: 1
NewsSurge Newbie
Posts: 13

All valid points SPQR, I hear you.

The only thing you're mistaken on is "...when I said you are flat out wrong with that statement you made, that is truth. You were."

Nobody can say that since we aren't sitting with Magic and comparing knowledge. I believe that Magic Johnson knows more than any fan, you do not.

Again, no one can confirm or deny this one way or the other, despite your authoritative tone and forceful words. And I'll give it to you, you certainly know how to make your position appear to be the proven truth beyond a shadow of a doubt. But alas, it's all speculation, both my perspective and yours...not "truth" as you stated. If you're able to get a meeting with Magic and find out that he does in fact, know less than you or some other fan, I'd love to hear it...and boy would I be shocked and disappointed to say the least.

You may have something there with regards to comparing fans knowledge and pundits knowledge, but again, until you get on The Herd (or any other show) to find out, we'll never know.

I'm with you that GMs and Presidents can make horrible mistakes, take our last two front office leaders haha.

But I'll continue to hold out hope that Magic and Rob have a long term plan in mind and the knowledge to justify their moves.

In the meantime, I'm extremely EXCITED for this draft! Here's hoping we don't lose our minds and trade that pick in the next 6 hours Smile

LakersLyfe
votes: 1
NewsSurge Newbie
Posts: 13

I'm with you MontanewKB24!

I think a lot of fans have a bad taste in their mouth from the last front office: anticipating bad moves and a general distrust for our GM and President.

With all of the bad management over the last few years, fans think they've got a better sense of how to run the team than the guys in charge (just take a look at my debate with SPQR on this thread).

But I totally agree with you. D'Angelo isn't what we thought he would be and I think that point was proven by the fact that most other GM's around the league have the same stance, which is why his trade value was so much lower than we thought.

Could we have gotten a bit more for him? Maybe, we'll never know.

But I think it wasn't a bad price to pay to dump the worst contract in the NBA and set us up for a proven superstar like Paul George.

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16783
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

kkennon1 wrote:
Think I'd rather have booker.

Think you would also rather have anyone but Russell. Lol

TimmyDoe
votes: 22
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1580

LakersLyfe wrote:
I'm with you MontanewKB24!

I think a lot of fans have a bad taste in their mouth from the last front office: anticipating bad moves and a general distrust for our GM and President.

With all of the bad management over the last few years, fans think they've got a better sense of how to run the team than the guys in charge (just take a look at my debate with SPQR on this thread).

But I totally agree with you. D'Angelo isn't what we thought he would be and I think that point was proven by the fact that most other GM's around the league have the same stance, which is why his trade value was so much lower than we thought.

Could we have gotten a bit more for him? Maybe, we'll never know.

But I think it wasn't a bad price to pay to dump the worst contract in the NBA and set us up for a proven superstar like Paul George.

Do you expect that Paul George is the saviour who will take us from 20 wins to 60+? Say we pick him up (which is inevitable at this point), we pick up a couple of good players off FA, none of which who are LBJ (GSW will still kick our asses with LBJ), are we winning a championship during GSW's prime?

Seems like some Laker fans have the same vision as Magic, chase stars cause basketball is all about the stars. We want championships. First or second round exits arent our thing, we're the damn Lakers, not those filthy Clips


Options Quick Reply: RE: Magic and Pelinka Make Their First Move and I Hate It.
register
You are an anonymous user- or .
Quote the last message
Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)
Notify me when a reply is posted
Don't Check Spelling
Note: Twitter & Youtube BBCODE Tags are no longer necessary. The system will automatically convert links to tweets & youtube videos.
   


   
   
register
You are an anonymous user- Register now or Log in Now!