Rumor: Jordan Clarkson On The Trade Block?

Lakers News Surge Forum/Message Board » Lakers Rumors
Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Search This Topic:
 
LakerFan4Life
LNS HOF Silver
Age: 37
Posts: 10452
Location: Covina, CA
us.gif
votes: 47
 
Quote:
Jordan Schultz‏Verified account @Schultz_Report 5 hours ago Per a source, #Lakers are not just "open-minded" to trading Jordan Clarkson, as has been reported, but are actively seeking out offers.
Quote:
The Los Angeles Lakers own the No.....


pureride214
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 564
Location: riverside, ca
votes: 7

"Jordan to the Pacers for Monta, Lance Stephenson or Thaddeus Young? Jordan to the Kings for Arron Afflalo or Tyreke Evans?"

Any of those players straight up for Clarkson would be a terrible deal for the Lakers IMO, needs to be another good young player or a high draft pick


MAGICLAKEZ
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16634
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif
votes: 70

I prefer JC over all those gents mentioned above.


userpete1037
LNS HOF Platinum
Posts: 20030
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif
votes: 18

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
I prefer JC over all those gents mentioned above.

You ain't lying brotha.....Straight garbage.


JJCali
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8544

us.gif
votes: 22

pureride214 wrote:
"Jordan to the Pacers for Monta, Lance Stephenson or Thaddeus Young? Jordan to the Kings for Arron Afflalo or Tyreke Evans?"

Any of those players straight up for Clarkson would be a terrible deal for the Lakers IMO, needs to be another good young player or a high draft pick

Absolutely! Horrible trades.


laker2thegrave
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1380
votes: 15

You can tell when articles like this are bogus. Tyreke is a free agent and I think Affalo has a non-guaranteed contract for next season.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14312
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23


alex_sandez
NewsSurge Newbie
Posts: 12
votes: 0

Just for PG or to get rid of Mozgov


Apollon
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 783
Location: San Diego, CA
votes: 14

Give Nets 28th pick for taking Deng's contract and trade JC to OKC for their 21st pick. That's $30.5M off the books for the next 3 years, and 21st pick in a loaded draft class. With Ball coming in, Clarkson would be bench player for life, and you don't pay $12.5M to a bench guy - that's a 35mpg starter salary.


Apollon
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 783
Location: San Diego, CA
votes: 14

alex_sandez wrote:
Just for PG or to get rid of Mozgov

Getting rid of Deng's contract is more important - not only he gets $2M/year more, but with Ingram, Deng already on the team if PG13 comes next year - it'll create a backlog at SF. Lakers aren't sitting Ingram or PG13, and PF spot belongs to Randle and Nance, so Deng will become $18M/year bench warmer.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14312
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

Apollon wrote:
Give Nets 28th pick for taking Deng's contract and trade JC to OKC for their 21st pick. That's $30.5M off the books for the next 3 years, and 21st pick in a loaded draft class. With Ball coming in, Clarkson would be bench player for life, and you don't pay $12.5M to a bench guy - that's a 35mpg starter salary.

Doubt Nets take Deng or Mozgov for just 28th pick. You'd probably have to include Clarkson.


Apollon
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 783
Location: San Diego, CA
votes: 14

kkennon1 wrote:
Doubt Nets take Deng or Mozgov for just 28th pick. You'd probably have to include Clarkson.

Clarkson AND 28th just to dump salary? Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_04

Nets only have 27th pick in 1st round and could use another one. Also, they are in danger of being below minimum required cap space and I don't see FAs lining up to join that team. Taking Deng's salary and acquiring a 1st rounder in the process is a good move for them.


JJCali
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8544

us.gif
votes: 22

Apollon wrote:
Give Nets 28th pick for taking Deng's contract and trade JC to OKC for their 21st pick. That's $30.5M off the books for the next 3 years, and 21st pick in a loaded draft class. With Ball coming in, Clarkson would be bench player for life, and you don't pay $12.5M to a bench guy - that's a 35mpg starter salary.

That's actually incredibly cheap for a player like Clarkson now days. Bench players were getting that 10 years ago! I'd be fine with the Deng trade but not that Clarkson one.


JJCali
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8544

us.gif
votes: 22

Apollon wrote:
Getting rid of Deng's contract is more important - not only he gets $2M/year more, but with Ingram, Deng already on the team if PG13 comes next year - it'll create a backlog at SF. Lakers aren't sitting Ingram or PG13, and PF spot belongs to Randle and Nance, so Deng will become $18M/year bench warmer.

It would be nice to get rid of Deng, but I don't think it's that important. We already have Ingram. Why do people want George so bad?


JJCali
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8544

us.gif
votes: 22

Apollon wrote:
Clarkson AND 28th just to dump salary? Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_04

Nets only have 27th pick in 1st round and could use another one. Also, they are in danger of being below minimum required cap space and I don't see FAs lining up to join that team. Taking Deng's salary and acquiring a 1st rounder in the process is a good move for them.

Good point.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14312
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

Apollon wrote:
Clarkson AND 28th just to dump salary? Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_04

Nets only have 27th pick in 1st round and could use another one. Also, they are in danger of being below minimum required cap space and I don't see FAs lining up to join that team. Taking Deng's salary and acquiring a 1st rounder in the process is a good move for them.

Actually Nets have 22nd pick too, and there's always going to be someone who will take their money if they overpay. Just look at Deng and Mozgov. Lol

Could be wrong but don't see it happening for just 28th. But listening to most of these analysis and podcasts on Lakers nation, they seem to think in order to get rid of either, your going to have to package one or the other with a core member.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14312
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

JJCali wrote:
That's actually incredibly cheap for a player like Clarkson now days. Bench players were getting that 10 years ago! I'd be fine with the Deng trade but not that Clarkson one.

Actually it's not that cheap, when you compare players with similar stats. I post article above breaking it down.


Apollon
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 783
Location: San Diego, CA
votes: 14

kkennon1 wrote:
Actually Nets have 22nd pick too, and there's always going to be someone who will take their money if they overpay. Just look at Deng and Mozgov. Lol

Could be wrong but don't see it happening for just 28th. But listening to most of these analysis and podcasts on Lakers nation, they seem to think in order to get rid of either, your going to have to package one or the other with a core member.

Hrmm, you're right - Nets do have the 22nd pick via Wizards trade in February, they traded Bogdanovic for it...I missed that one. They'll be less interested in Lakers' 28th now Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_48

As far as overpaying argument though - my point is still valid. If Nets would be forced to overpay, just to meet minimum salary requirement - do you think they'd prefer to give $20M contract to some D-leager, or get Deng and another 1st round pick in the process? I don't think solid players, whose worth is in that $15-20M range would come to bottom dweller like Nets just for the money. Their FO is a mess - Prokhorov's right hand and FO senior exec Irina Pavlova recently dumped the sinking ship and quit.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14312
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

Apollon wrote:
Hrmm, you're right - Nets do have the 22nd pick via Wizards trade in February, they traded Bogdanovic for it...I missed that one. They'll be less interested in Lakers' 28th now Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_48

As far as overpaying argument though - my point is still valid. If Nets would be forced to overpay, just to meet minimum salary requirement - do you think they'd prefer to give $20M contract to some D-leager, or get Deng and another 1st round pick in the process? I don't think solid players, whose worth is in that $15-20M range would come to bottom dweller like Nets just for the money. Their FO is a mess - Prokhorov's right hand and FO senior exec Irina Pavlova recently dumped the sinking ship and quit.

LOL, they came to bottom dweller Lakers when their FO was a mess. Lmao

Just kidding, see your point. But still doubt it happens.


Skyeword
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 7525
Location: Atlanta
us.gif
votes: 68

As I said elsewhere, Clarkson could be the perennial 6th man of the year whomever the Lakers draft. His defense is very good, his foul shooting is great, he can score 30 points on any given night, he can start and he's not done improving all the while pulling a few rebounds and assists and sparking the offense.

The Lakers need guards and the suggested names in the first post are all less talented than Jordan. This is a dumb idea unless he's being packaged with Deng or Mozgov, but then why not Swaggy instead?


magic42157
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 641
votes: 7

Skyeword wrote:
As I said elsewhere, Clarkson could be the perennial 6th man of the year whomever the Lakers draft. His defense is very good, his foul shooting is great, he can score 30 points on any given night, he can start and he's not done improving all the while pulling a few rebounds and assists and sparking the offense.

The Lakers need guards and the suggested names in the first post are all less talented than Jordan. This is a dumb idea unless he's being packaged with Deng or Mozgov, but then why not Swaggy instead?

Clarkson's defense is pretty good??? You must have been watching a different player than I was! 😊. He may have the ability but still needs the dedication.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14312
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

Skyeword wrote:
As I said elsewhere, Clarkson could be the perennial 6th man of the year whomever the Lakers draft. His defense is very good, his foul shooting is great, he can score 30 points on any given night, he can start and he's not done improving all the while pulling a few rebounds and assists and sparking the offense.

The Lakers need guards and the suggested names in the first post are all less talented than Jordan. This is a dumb idea unless he's being packaged with Deng or Mozgov, but then why not Swaggy instead?

When was his defense even average ???? He's done nothing but gotten worse in efficiency since he's come into league. Plus you compare players with similar stats, he's overpaid.


Tempy
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12804
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif
votes: 51

Skyeword wrote:
As I said elsewhere, Clarkson could be the perennial 6th man of the year whomever the Lakers draft. His defense is very good, his foul shooting is great, he can score 30 points on any given night, he can start and he's not done improving all the while pulling a few rebounds and assists and sparking the offense.

The Lakers need guards and the suggested names in the first post are all less talented than Jordan. This is a dumb idea unless he's being packaged with Deng or Mozgov, but then why not Swaggy instead?

No one on the roster is untradable. Would I rather see Deng and Mozgov traded? Absolutely. But they have no trade value, either do Russell and Randle considering the money they earn.

Clarkson and the 2 1st round picks are the only assets the Lakers really have to trade. I agree he could be a great 6th man, but you need a great 6th man when you are contending for championships not developing talent. The Lakers are 2 years minimum from being such a team, he will be 27 at that point and due another contract.


Skyeword
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 7525
Location: Atlanta
us.gif
votes: 68
Jordan is an highly athletic low IQ player. This is true for Dwight Howard as well as a comparison. That means they will not be team leaders and they rely solely on their athleticism for their success. Clarkson is though one of the hardest workers on the court and rarely ever is there a lack of effort. The mistake he makes is that he fights OVER the top of screens instinctively and in the modern NBA, he's getting picked by bigs and never quite makes it beyond the pick. This is a coaching problem and a team communication problem and not a Jordan Clarkson problem because the same can be said for every player on the team. The Lakers were 27th, 28th and then 29th in team defense over the past three years so what games were you two watching or perhaps you prefer blaming people rather than situations. Byron was a terrible coach. He preached defense obviously to cover up for his deficiencies. D'Antoni is an offensive strategist and Mike Brown had little to offer imo on either end of the court from a coaching perspective. He's coaching the finals now? Amazing! Jordan has been subject to playing for poor defensive coaches so taking that off the table, what you are left with it an individual who is harassing to offensive players, works his behind off, has vowed to focus on defense and gets more than his share of steals and changed shots. I'm not sure Luke is any better given that he is responsible for the 29th worst defensive in the league, though nobody on the Lakers communicated well or switched well on defense therefore look to the individual, the effort, the will and the upside. ....


Skyeword
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 7525
Location: Atlanta
us.gif
votes: 68

magic42157 wrote:
Clarkson's defense is pretty good??? You must have been watching a different player than I was! 😊. He may have the ability but still needs the dedication.
Why focus on the one arguable point rather than recognizing the list of virtues that do not deserve nor make sense to be traded. I am convinced that most people want to be right rather than accurate.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14312
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

Skyeword wrote:
Jordan is an highly athletic low IQ player. This is true for Dwight Howard as well as a comparison. That means they will not be team leaders and they rely solely on their athleticism for their success. Clarkson is though one of the hardest workers on the court and rarely ever is there a lack of effort. The mistake he makes is that he fights OVER the top of screens instinctively and in the modern NBA, he's getting picked by bigs and never quite makes it beyond the pick.

Byron was a terrible coach. He preached defense obviously to cover up for his deficiencies. D'Antoni is an offensive strategist and Mike Brown had little to offer imo on either end of the court from a coaching perspective. He's coaching the finals now? Amazing! Jordan has been subject to playing for poor defensive coaches so taking that off the table, what you are left with it an individual who is harassing to offensive players, works his behind off, has vowed to focus on defense and gets more than his share of steals and changed shots.

What he can do better is to fight UNDER the screen and leave some space between himself and the player he's defending to enable getting under the screen more easily. I do recall quite a few fly bys as he ran up to defend and got blown by before his feet hit the ground. That's simple to correct and ought to come from the coaching staff coaching and training.

I'm referring to his overall game, he's gone down in efficiency each year since he's been in league. And that's fact!!!

And when comparing him to other players with similar stats, he's overpaid.


Skyeword
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 7525
Location: Atlanta
us.gif
votes: 68

kkennon1 wrote:
I'm referring to his overall game, he's gone down in efficiency each year since he's been in league. And that's fact!!!

And when comparing him to other players with similar stats, he's overpaid.

Perhaps, but his value on this team exceeds nearly everyone else's performances over the past few years and his first season was a lucky fluke. That was the season Kobe was hurt and many others were hurt and J.C. got lots of unexpected PT and made first team all rookie. Bad coaching and management has contributed to everybody's decline. Has anyone improved? I think D-Russ and Randle improved despite the circumstances.

BTW, saw an article saying that if the draft was today the Lakers would not take Ball? Surprised by that. I think it's reverse psychiology given how over confident he is about becoming a Laker.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14312
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

Skyeword wrote:
Perhaps, but his value on this team exceeds nearly everyone else's performances over the past few years and his first season was a lucky fluke. That was the season Kobe was hurt and many others were hurt and J.C. got lots of unexpected PT and made first team all rookie. Bad coaching and management has contributed to everybody's decline. Has anyone improved? I think D-Russ and Randle improved despite the circumstances.

BTW, saw an article saying that if the draft was today the Lakers would not take Ball? Surprised by that. I think it's reverse psychiology given how over confident he is about becoming a Laker.

Yeah, saw that. It was from some guy in NY and another one was from Philly GM. Sounds like someone hoping Ball falls.

And I'm not saying I don't like Clarkson, have defended him countless times, but if right trade came along and I had a chance to package him with one of those bad contracts, I'd have to think about it.

And everyone hasn't declined ,Dlo ,Randle and Nance have all continue to improve efficiency wise , especially this year under Walton.


Skyeword
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 7525
Location: Atlanta
us.gif
votes: 68

kkennon1 wrote:
Yeah, saw that. It was from some guy in NY and another one was from Philly GM. Sounds like someone hoping Ball falls.

And I'm not saying I don't like Clarkson, have defended him countless times, but if right trade came along and I had a chance to package him with one of those bad contracts, I'd have to think about it.

And everyone hasn't declined ,Dlo ,Randle and Nance have all continue to improve efficiency wise , especially this year under Walton.

I think what's critical are clear roles that the players feel good about. Russell has been a PG his entire life and now he's being asked to play the 2. Who is the PG even if the Lakers draft a PG in 3 weeks? What's his name played very well at the end of last season. He's obsolete though if they draft Ball or Fox. What position will Ingram play: 4, 3, 2 or even 1 on occasion? Who's the starting center? Can Moz and Deng provide leadership? Who's the starting 4? Given the Showtime leanings, they need a stretch 4 and not a player like Nance, Robinson or Black. It's incredible the force of the destruction that was the cluelessness of Jim and to some extent Mitch. The inability to refocus on youth while Kobe was still around. (that was a throwaway season and the years before with Nash and Howard was even worse). I would attribute some of this to the CP3 scenario that kicked off the era of decline for the Lakers too. It has been far worse than it had to be. It boils down to identity and clear purpose. IMO, the Lakers are building around Magic for now and not any of the players.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14312
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

Skyeword wrote:
I think what's critical are clear roles that the players feel good about. Russell has been a PG his entire life and now he's being asked to play the 2. Who is the PG even if the Lakers draft a PG in 3 weeks? What's his name played very well at the end of last season. He's obsolete though if they draft Ball or Fox. What position will Ingram play: 4, 3, 2 or even 1 on occasion? Who's the starting center? Can Moz and Deng provide leadership? Who's the starting 4? Given the Showtime leanings, they need a stretch 4 and not a player like Nance, Robinson or Black. It's incredible the force of the destruction that was the cluelessness of Jim and to some extent Mitch. The inability to refocus on youth while Kobe was still around. (that was a throwaway season and the years before with Nash and Howard was even worse). I would attribute some of this to the CP3 scenario that kicked off the era of decline for the Lakers too. It has been far worse than it had to be. It boils down to identity and clear purpose. IMO, the Lakers are building around Magic for now and not any of the players.

Lol, Russell was a sg in high school and lead guard at OSU, Shannon Scott was OSU pg. 1st time he played pg was in NBA.

He said coming into league that he never played pg. That's one of the reasons I've been saying since he was drafted , he'd be better at 2 spot.

http://247sports.com/Player/DAngelo-Rus ... tion=34922


Skyeword
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 7525
Location: Atlanta
us.gif
votes: 68

kkennon1 wrote:
Lol, Russell was a sg in high school and lead guard at OSU, Shannon Scott was OSU pg. 1st time he played pg was in NBA.

He said coming into league that he never played pg. That's one of the reasons I've been saying since he was drafted , he'd be better at 2 spot.

http://247sports.com/Player/DAngelo-Rus ... tion=34922

I didn't know that and coulda' sworn D-Russ himself said he'd always been a PG but go figure. The point (no pun intended) remains.

D-Russ is a good ball handler and passer but he is not the John Wall or Damian Lillard type therefore he's perceived as slow.

The Lakers need to know who they are to make the right draft pick!


JJCali
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8544

us.gif
votes: 22

kkennon1 wrote:
Lol, Russell was a sg in high school and lead guard at OSU, Shannon Scott was OSU pg. 1st time he played pg was in NBA.

He said coming into league that he never played pg. That's one of the reasons I've been saying since he was drafted , he'd be better at 2 spot.

http://247sports.com/Player/DAngelo-Rus ... tion=34922

He did say that. But when I watched him in college, at no point did I see him not playing the point.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14312
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

JJCali wrote:
He did say that. But when I watched him in college, at no point did I see him not playing the point.

Are you sure about that? There's a difference between being lead guard and pg. Scott actually lead team assist. It's just that he usually gave ball up to Dlo at half court or just beyond, Dlo was 1st option .


TERRY-TEAGLE
Laker GM
Posts: 3664
Location: Belmont Shores,CA
votes: 41

Would not hesitate to trade Jordan... he's talented but his b-ball IQ is terrible , plays out of control a lot, and has no tough on his outside shot.

He might be the guy we package to get rid of Deng or Moz


laker2thegrave
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1380
votes: 15

I won't lose sleep over JC being traded. Yet, I keep seeing articles saying they are trading JC or DLO, especially if Ball is drafted. Yet, do people realize right now Those are the only guards on the roster. Nwaba is a nice athlete and plays defense, but not an offensive juggernaut.

So unless the Lakers are getting back different guards to replace what is sent out, it doesn't make a lot of sense. Also, even if ball turns out to be a great player, I don't see him taking the league by storm next season, so he may need a little help back there.


userpete1037
LNS HOF Platinum
Posts: 20030
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif
votes: 18

^^^

Yeah I agree with your sentiments...Take an ambien.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14312
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

laker2thegrave wrote:
I won't lose sleep over JC being traded. Yet, I keep seeing articles saying they are trading JC or DLO, especially if Ball is drafted. Yet, do people realize right now Those are the only guards on the roster. Nwaba is a nice athlete and plays defense, but not an offensive juggernaut.

So unless the Lakers are getting back different guards to replace what is sent out, it doesn't make a lot of sense. Also, even if ball turns out to be a great player, I don't see him taking the league by storm next season, so he may need a little help back there.

Think if they do trade one of them it's about salary dump. If it's Clarkson, it's getting his 12m off books ,making room for PG or other FA next year. If it's Dlo, think they'll try to move him with Deng or Mozgov. They can always draft another sg at 28th pick. But I don't see anything happening till trade deadline next year..imo


TERRY-TEAGLE
Laker GM
Posts: 3664
Location: Belmont Shores,CA
votes: 41

kkennon1 wrote:
Think if they do trade one of them it's about salary dump. If it's Clarkson, it's getting his 12m off books ,making room for PG or other FA next year. If it's Dlo, think they'll try to move him with Deng or Mozgov. They can always draft another SG at 28th pick. But I don't see anything happening till trade deadline next year..imo

Agree, I think the front office doesn't think Clarkson is worth that type of money for what he brings to the table. Obviously, a lot of guys make that type of money but I think they see him as regular spark plug bench scorer, nothing more .


gemfow
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12402
Location: Maryland
us.gif
votes: 181

JJCali wrote:
It would be nice to get rid of Deng, but I don't think it's that important. We already have Ingram. Why do people want George so bad?

Because they're convinced that trading for George will help us past GS who is obliterating the CAVS in the finals right now. I'd rather wait him out as a free agent but no matter what, GS will be viable for at least the next 3-4 years which is just enough to see George enter into his 30's and slow down, lol


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14312
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

TERRY-TEAGLE wrote:
Agree, I think the front office doesn't think Clarkson is worth that type of money for what he brings to the table. Obviously, a lot of guys make that type of money but I think they see him as regular spark plug bench scorer, nothing more .

Think your right Terry, his numbers are at their highest when he pllays less minutes. Would be nice to have him coming off bench at less money.


JJCali
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8544

us.gif
votes: 22

gemfow wrote:
Because they're convinced that trading for George will help us past GS who is obliterating the CAVS in the finals right now. I'd rather wait him out as a free agent but no matter what, GS will be viable for at least the next 3-4 years which is just enough to see George enter into his 30's and slow down, lol

Agreed. Not even sure we should chase him as a free agent though.

Someone suggested trading for John Wall, I was thinking to myself if we traded for John Wall AND Jimmy Butler and then signed George as a free agent and still had Randle & Zubac, we still probably wouldn't beat the warriors lol.


gemfow
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12402
Location: Maryland
us.gif
votes: 181

JJCali wrote:
Agreed. Not even sure we should chase him as a free agent though.

Someone suggested trading for John Wall, I was thinking to myself if we traded for John Wall AND Jimmy Butler and then signed George as a free agent and still had Randle & Zubac, we still probably wouldn't beat the warriors lol.

People are living in a dream to think that trading for certain guys are enough. I think people believe another super team can unseat that team. I just don't see it. GS has way too many smart players, unselfish players and they spread you out so far away from the basket. You know what's hurting Cleveland imo? The same thing that's happening in OKC. There is too much Lebron and Kyrie and not necessarily a system being ran from what I can tell. So, when Lebron and Kyrie sit the other guys don't run a system. If the Spurs get more fire power then maybe they can unseat GS because they run an actual system and don't depend on one or two players.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14312
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

JJCali wrote:
Agreed. Not even sure we should chase him as a free agent though.

Someone suggested trading for John Wall, I was thinking to myself if we traded for John Wall AND Jimmy Butler and then signed George as a free agent and still had Randle & Zubac, we still probably wouldn't beat the warriors lol.

Personally I'm waiting for 2020 when AD is a FA. LOL


FrankBecerra
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1466
Location: Staples Center
votes: 2

I hear LaBrawn may join the Lakers in 2018.


JJCali
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8544

us.gif
votes: 22

gemfow wrote:
People are living in a dream to think that trading for certain guys are enough. I think people believe another super team can unseat that team. I just don't see it. GS has way too many smart players, unselfish players and they spread you out so far away from the basket. You know what's hurting Cleveland imo? The same thing that's happening in OKC. There is too much Lebron and Kyrie and not necessarily a system being ran from what I can tell. So, when Lebron and Kyrie sit the other guys don't run a system. If the Spurs get more fire power then maybe they can unseat GS because they run an actual system and don't depend on one or two players.

I agree, but to me it just shows how great the system is in Golden state. Steve Kerr has done a ridiculous job there! Even last year they won 73 games and should have won the title if not for injuries and suspensions. And that was with less talent than Cleveland. Adding Durant was obviously a game changer, but the system is amamzing. The way they share the wealth with so much talent is great. They are fun to watch.


JJCali
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8544

us.gif
votes: 22

kkennon1 wrote:
Personally I'm waiting for 2020 when AD is a FA. LOL

I would be thinking Like that too. And no not just because of golden state. Cause I'm not giving up just because of their greatness. However, I would develop what we have, see who breaks out and then see what if any pieces we need to add to that. For example, what if Ball is a really good PG, Russell improves and Ingram is a star and Zubac develops into a very good young center. But Randle doesn't get any better. Then I'm going to do exactly what you said, go after Davis! I want to see who develops and then add the correct pieces from there. I don't want to see Ingram and Russell become stars and we add Paul George. That's redundant. Let's see who doesn't pan out at a high level, and improve there.

Although Golden state being as good as they are does influence your thought process.


gemfow
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12402
Location: Maryland
us.gif
votes: 181

JJCali wrote:
I would be thinking Like that too. And no not just because of golden state. Cause I'm not giving up just because of their greatness. However, I would develop what we have, see who breaks out and then see what if any pieces we need to add to that. For example, what if Ball is a really good PG, Russell improves and Ingram is a star and Zubac develops into a very good young center. But Randle doesn't get any better. Then I'm going to do exactly what you said, go after Davis! I want to see who develops and then add the correct pieces from there. I don't want to see Ingram and Russell become stars and we add Paul George. That's redundant. Let's see who doesn't pan out at a high level, and improve there.

Although Golden state being as good as they are does influence your thought process.

I definitely agree that the approach you just laid out is the way to go. I just want to see improvement, there aren't any quick fixes for this process imo. Goldenstate built that team and now look at them. What if they traded Klay or Green in their second or third year for a 28 year old star? They wouldn't be as good as they are now with a nice sized window to win a few more championships together depending if they can afford everyone (guys will have to make sacrifices). The Lakers (Jerry West) did that in 1994 when we had Nick Van Exel, Eddie Jones, Cedric Ceballos and guys like Peeler and Lynch. West was able to make maneuvers to make the team that much better with Shaq and Kobe. Granted that would be harder to do now but I think that's the way to go.


JJCali
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8544

us.gif
votes: 22

gemfow wrote:
I definitely agree that the approach you just laid out is the way to go. I just want to see improvement, there aren't any quick fixes for this process imo. Goldenstate built that team and now look at them. What if they traded Klay or Green in their second or third year for a 28 year old star? They wouldn't be as good as they are now with a nice sized window to win a few more championships together depending if they can afford everyone (guys will have to make sacrifices). The Lakers (Jerry West) did that in 1994 when we had Nick Van Exel, Eddie Jones, Cedric Ceballos and guys like Peeler and Lynch. West was able to make maneuvers to make the team that much better with Shaq and Kobe. Granted that would be harder to do now but I think that's the way to go.

Well said.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14312
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

JJCali wrote:
I would be thinking Like that too. And no not just because of golden state. Cause I'm not giving up just because of their greatness. However, I would develop what we have, see who breaks out and then see what if any pieces we need to add to that. For example, what if Ball is a really good PG, Russell improves and Ingram is a star and Zubac develops into a very good young center. But Randle doesn't get any better. Then I'm going to do exactly what you said, go after Davis! I want to see who develops and then add the correct pieces from there. I don't want to see Ingram and Russell become stars and we add Paul George. That's redundant. Let's see who doesn't pan out at a high level, and improve there.

Although Golden state being as good as they are does influence your thought process.

Agree, but id go after AD regardless, don't think anybody we have will come close to him..imo


JJCali
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8544

us.gif
votes: 22

kkennon1 wrote:
Agree, but id go after AD regardless, don't think anybody we have will come close to him..imo

Well yes... sort of. Who else is a free agent that year though? What if Zubac & Randle become stars and there's a great guard free agent. I'm with you on Davis, there's almost no chance the bigs we have will come anywhere close to him, but we gotta see what happens first is all I'm saying. If Russell gets no better and Klay is available, then I'd go that route. You know what I mean?



Options Quick Reply: RE: Rumor: Jordan Clarkson On The Trade Block?
register
You are an anonymous user- or .
Quote the last message
Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)
Notify me when a reply is posted
Don't Check Spelling
Note: Twitter & Youtube BBCODE Tags are no longer necessary. The system will automatically convert links to tweets & youtube videos.
   
 
Go To the Top of the ThreadGo Home
Post new topic   Reply to topic
register
You are an anonymous user- Register now or Log in Now!


Add our Los Angeles Lakers Blog RSS Feed, the Lakers Rumors RSS Feed, the Lakers News RSS feed, and the Lakers Forum RSS feed to get the latest Laker News and Rumors and Lakers Game info in your RSS/XML reader!