Rumor: Lakers to Hire Rob Pelinka As New GM

Lakers Forum » Lakers Rumors
Poll
Do you like the choice of Rob Pelinka as the new Lakers GM?
Yes
47%
 47%  [8]
No
11%
 11%  [2]
Unsure
41%
 41%  [7]
Total Votes : 17

Author Search This Topic:
 
steven18
votes: 11
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1746

us.gif
 

Dave
votes: 45
Site Admin
Posts: 5378

us.gif

That's kind of interesting hiring an agent to be a GM- a bit of a risk, but it could pay off. Personally I think perhaps waiting until the end of the season to lure a successful GM over might have been the better move. Added a poll- what do you guys think?

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14357
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

Dave wrote:
That's kind of interesting hiring an agent to be a GM- a bit of a risk, but it could pay off. Personally I think perhaps waiting until the end of the season to lure a successful GM over might have been the better move. Added a poll- what do you guys think?

Guess we'll find out how good he is real soon. But GSW'S GM was an agent, so it could be a good hire.

I'm sure he won't make everyone happy, but there's only so much any GM coming in can do with Deng and Mozgov contracts still on books.

Dave
votes: 45
Site Admin
Posts: 5378

us.gif

kkennon1 wrote:
Guess we'll find out how good he is real soon. But GSW'S GM was an agent, so it could be a good hire.

Yup that is true- so that could bode well. Hopefully Pelinka is up to the task. His connections and rapport with some players should help.

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16785
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

Dave wrote:
That's kind of interesting hiring an agent to be a GM- a bit of a risk, but it could pay off. Personally I think perhaps waiting until the end of the season to lure a successful GM over might have been the better move. Added a poll- what do you guys think?

I'm with you on this. Since the franchise is in turmoils, you need some stability in the FO with proven leadership. I'm not sure this is the time to take a risk/gamble. Sure it might pan out but I feel this is not the best time to take another gamble. I would have rather had Ryan West (with significant fo experience under his belt) as interim and then see how he performed until the end of the season.

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14357
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
I'm with you on this. Since the franchise is in turmoils, you need some stability in the FO with proven leadership. I'm not sure this is the time to take a risk/gamble. Sure it might pan out but I feel this is not the best time to take another gamble. I would have rather had Ryan West as interim and then see how he performed until the end of the season.

Hey Magic, off subject, but wasn't MrKFC the one that was saying Thon Maker was best player in draft last year and better than Simmons ????

steven18
votes: 11
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1746

us.gif

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16785
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

kkennon1 wrote:
Hey Magic, off subject, but wasn't MrKFC the one that was saying Thon Maker was best player in draft last year and better than Simmons ????

Actually he has a point since we haven't seen Simmons on the court yet. Lol

But Simmons was the catch of the draft for sure.

Dave
votes: 45
Site Admin
Posts: 5378

us.gif

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
I'm with you on this. Since the franchise is in turmoils, you need some stability in the FO with proven leadership. I'm not sure this is the time to take a risk/gamble. Sure it might pan out but I feel this is not the best time to take another gamble. I would have rather had Ryan West as interim and then see how he performed until the end of the season.

Yep I'd liked that move- lower risk high reward. Hopefully Pelinka is going to be good at persuading top FA's to join- I think that would be his main strength.

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16785
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

steven18 wrote:

Just hoping it doesn't turn into conflict of interests down the road.

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14357
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
Actually he has a point since we haven't seen Simmons on the court yet. Lol

But Simmons was the catch of the draft for sure.

LOL, that's what I thought, than his judge of talent means nothing to me, since he called Ball average and be a waste of a draft pick on UCLA Lonzo Ball thread. Lol

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14357
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

For what it's worth, guy seems to be respected around league.

steven18
votes: 11
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1746

us.gif

kkennon1 wrote:
For what it's worth, guy seems to be respected around league.

Yeah everything i've been hearing makes me like him even more, every report i've read about him is nothing but praise and respect, which goes a long way to earning the trust of the fans.

FrankBecerra
votes: 2
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1584
Location: Staples Center

oh my goodness I just heard the big news about Jim and Mitch. I wonder what will happen to them. perhaps they could start a,new team and take Mosgov And Ding with,them!

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16785
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

FrankBecerra wrote:
oh my goodness I just heard the big news about Jim and Mitch. I wonder what will happen to them. perhaps they could start a,new team and take Mosgov And Ding with,them!

Ding is staying put at bleacher report. Lol

userpete1037
votes: 18
LNS HOF Platinum
Posts: 20318
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif

I can dig it.....

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16785
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

It's official

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14357
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
Ding is staying put at bleacher report. Lol

Lol, but do you think lakers could take that Houston pick and package it with Deng or Mozgov???

It would probably take more for a team to take those contracts...smh

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16785
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

kkennon1 wrote:
Lol, but do you think lakers could take that Houston pick and package it with Deng or Mozgov???

It would probably take more for a team to take those contracts...smh

I would do anything to get rid of that garbage. Even if it means packaging the pick.

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14357
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
I would do anything to get rid of that garbage. Even if it means packaging the pick.

Totally agree, we don't really need another young player, especially if they keep top 3.

IhatetheCeltics
votes: 51
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8155

It's an interesting hire, getting an agent, but it also makes a lot of sense. A super agent like Pelinka already has connections with other GMs, owners, coaches, from when he was an agent. He knows the CBA because that's critical when you are negotiating contracts. So while it is kind of out of the box, the transition from agent to GM actually seems like it would be pretty seamless.

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16785
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

kkennon1 wrote:
Totally agree, we don't really need another young player, especially if they keep top 3.

Also wouldn't mind they get rid of Black for a pick. We have plenty of guys with the same height who can step in.

steven18
votes: 11
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1746

us.gif

kkennon1 wrote:
Lol, but do you think lakers could take that Houston pick and package it with Deng or Mozgov???

It would probably take more for a team to take those contracts...smh

I see two things they can do here (in terms of using the pick to get rid of Mozgov/Deng)

1) See if Minnesota is still interested in trading for Deng, early in the season there were reports that Thibs wanted to reunite with Deng, i'd see how interested they were in trading for him they have a couple of expiring deals that could work out (Pekovic/Hill)

2) Call Dallas (who was reported to be willing to take on contracts if they were compensated with picks) and see if they'd want to take Mozgov, for say the two 2nd rounders we got from the Calderon trade. They might do it too since they might trade Bogut, they are going to need a center.

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14357
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
Also wouldn't mind they get rid of Black for a pick. We have plenty of guys with the same height who can step in.

Almost forgot about Black, yeah wouldn't mind if he got traded.

On another note, looks like Magic sees Zubac as becoming just a quality backup right now.

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16785
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

kkennon1 wrote:
Almost forgot about Black, yeah wouldn't mind if he got traded.

On another note, looks like Magic sees Zubac as becoming just a quality backup right now.

Yeah he said he wants to slowly increase his mins to around 30 which means he should play starter mins.

But this is what I really wanted to hear:

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14357
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
Yeah he said he wants to slowly increase his mins to around 30 which means he should play starter mins.

Sounds fan- tanking- tastic!!!

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16785
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

kkennon1 wrote:
Sounds fan- tanking- tastic!!!

Actually I'm not too thrilled cause that takes away Mozgov's mins. Lmao

BaadMaster
votes: 98
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8627

kkennon1 wrote:
LOL, that's what I thought, than his judge of talent means nothing to me, since he called Ball average and be a waste of a draft pick on UCLA Lonzo Ball thread. Lol

Gamesmanship. Something Jim Buss was incapabale of.

Apollon
votes: 14
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 783
Location: San Diego, CA

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
I'm with you on this. Since the franchise is in turmoils, you need some stability in the FO with proven leadership. I'm not sure this is the time to take a risk/gamble. Sure it might pan out but I feel this is not the best time to take another gamble. I would have rather had Ryan West (with significant fo experience under his belt) as interim and then see how he performed until the end of the season.

Disagree with you & Dave on this. As Jeanie said during SPSN interview - there is no "offseason" in NBA FO - there are always summer league preparations, draft preparations, trades, scouting, international scouting and a bunch of other things we don't know about. "Offseason" starts on July 1st - we're in February. A high profile NBA team simply cannot go without GM for for 4.5 months. A lot of decisions, which take effect in the offseason, are actually made months before the offseason and you don't make those without a GM. It's too late to bring a guy onboard in late June or July and have him "catch up" on billion things, which need to be decided like yesterday.

Also, Pelinka has great rapport with other agents, tons of players and GMs. He represented a gazillion NBA players and knows how to negotiate - it's awesome hire, every player and media member on social media says he's very sharp.

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16785
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

Apollon wrote:
Disagree with you & Dave on this. As Jeanie said during SPSN interview - there is no "offseason" in NBA FO - there are always summer league preparations, draft preparations, trades, scouting, international scouting and a bunch of other things we don't know about. "Offseason" starts on July 1st - we're in February. A high profile NBA team simply cannot go without GM for for 4.5 months. A lot of decisions, which take effect in the offseason, are actually made months before the offseason and you don't make those without a GM. It's too late to bring a guy onboard in late June or July and have him "catch up" on billion things, which need to be decided like yesterday.

Also, Pelinka has great rapport with other agents, tons of players and GMs. He represented a gazillion NBA players and knows how to negotiate - it's awesome hire, every player and media member on social media says he's very sharp.

It's ok to disagree but please don't give me Jeannie quotes to validate/augment your case. It's ok if that's your opinion and I respect it. He may have represented gazillion or trillion players but he doesn't have one min experience in an NBA front office. So pov of both sides are justified. Let's just see how it pans out.

Ps: technically we wouldn't have been without a gm as I had suggested Ryan West as interim GM.

Luke...
votes: 12
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1987

us.gif

Some are worried that Magic's time could be divided between his other businesses and the Lakers... but what about our new GM and his other career?

As an actor.

Rob Pelinka = Rob Lowe

Amiright? lol

Luke...
votes: 12
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1987

us.gif

I do think it's kinda odd that our new GM had several Houston players as clients and then we trade Lou to Houston. Not complaining, just think it's funny lol

steven18
votes: 11
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1746

us.gif

Luke... wrote:
Some are worried that Magic's time could be divided between his other businesses and the Lakers... but what about our new GM and his other career?

As an actor.

Rob Pelinka = Rob Lowe

Amiright? lol

Chris Traeger!

lol

BaadMaster
votes: 98
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8627

Luke... wrote:
...What about our new GM and his other career?

As an actor.

Rob Pelinka = Rob Lowe

Amiright? lol

And our Ex-GM can go back to his acting role on TRAILER PARK BOYS!

Shepherd
votes: 55
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 11041

ez.gif

Luke... wrote:
I do think it's kinda odd that our new GM had several Houston players as clients and then we trade Lou to Houston. Not complaining, just think it's funny lol

That's what happens when you're connected. He can bring all his years of dealing with league big wigs to bear. I'm not 100% convinced any of this is good yet. But I do 100% know it's better than what we had. So I'm willing to let it play out. But Ervin, you're on a short leash with me my friend. Don't disappoint me or I'll be yelling for your butt on a plate until you're gone too lol. Just sayin! club ninja twocents Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_21

BaadMaster
votes: 98
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8627

You can Google this: Pelinka was a great H.S basketball player, terrific college hoopster (cover of SI) and a lawyer too! The guy is amazing. Period. He will KILL in this job.

Great hire!

kkennon1 wrote:
Hey Magic, off subject, but wasn't MrKFC the one that was saying Thon Maker was best player in draft last year and better than Simmons ????

Thon is 7'1" and his per 36 minutes stats for the Bucks indicate a HUGE upside. You can't, as they say, teach height.

I would rather have him than Randle (although not in same draft.)

WatchTheSkyFall24
votes: 22
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 6226

us.gif

ROFL is Rob Pelinka Rob Lowe's long lost brother?


Options Quick Reply: RE: Rumor: Lakers to Hire Rob Pelinka As New GM
register
You are an anonymous user- or .
Quote the last message
Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)
Notify me when a reply is posted
Don't Check Spelling
Note: Twitter & Youtube BBCODE Tags are no longer necessary. The system will automatically convert links to tweets & youtube videos.
   


   
   
register
You are an anonymous user- Register now or Log in Now!