Lakers Bring Back Magic As Advisor

Lakers Forum » Lakers News
Author Search This Topic:
 
steven18
votes: 11
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1746

us.gif
 
Magic Johnson to Advise Team Ownership Posted: Feb 02, 2017 The Los Angeles Lakers today announced that Earvin "Magic" Johnson will return to the Lakers to assist Jeanie Buss in all areas of basketball and business as an advisor. "We are thrilled and honored to add Magic's expertise and abilities, and I look forward to working alongside him." said Lakers Governor Jeanie Buss. "Magic Johnson is one of the NBA's greatest players and it is terrific to see him returning to the Lakers," said NBA Commissioner Adam Silver. "He is a truly special person and a natural leader with a relentless passion for basketball....

steven18
votes: 11
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1746

us.gif

steven18
votes: 11
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1746

us.gif

userpete1037
votes: 18
LNS HOF Platinum
Posts: 20263
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif

Amen!!!!!!.....the writing is on the wall for old Jimbo. Don't let the door hit ya where the good lawd split ya...lmao. Man I'm so excited to hear that Magic will have an advisory role. Way to go Jeanie!!!!!.....Best news I've had personally regarding the Lakers in quite some time.

steven18
votes: 11
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1746

us.gif

userpete1037 wrote:
Amen!!!!!!.....the writing is on the wall for old Jimbo. Don't let the door hit ya where the good lawd split ya...lmao. Man I'm so excited to hear that Magic will have an advisory roll. Way to go Jeanie!!!!!.....Best news I've had personally regarding the Lakers in quite some time.

Next step should be firing Jim and Mitch and promoting Ryan as GM which would then (hopefully) help us bring back Jerry as a consultant.....this is great news nevertheless.

userpete1037
votes: 18
LNS HOF Platinum

Posts: 20263
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif

steven18 wrote:
Next step should be firing Jim and Mitch and promoting Ryan as GM which would then (hopefully) help us bring back Jerry as a consultant.....this is great news nevertheless.

Yes indeed. I'm all for it although I don't think Jerry will be walking through those doors. I can see his son though.

BaadMaster
votes: 98
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8619

I just hope this isn't a scheme by Dumbo to get another year, hiding behind Magic's name.

Other than that -- plus the evolving of Zubac -- this looks like the Lakers are on their way back!

Great article on Zub/Dlo: http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/2/1/14468042/la-lakers-dangelo -russell-ivica-zubac-stats-highlights-analysis-career-high-kobe-bryant -pau-gasol

userpete1037
votes: 18
LNS HOF Platinum

Posts: 20263
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif

BaadMaster wrote:
I just hope this isn't a scheme by Dumbo to get another year, hiding behind Magic's name.

Other than that -- plus the evolving of Zubac -- this looks like the Lakers are on their way back!

Great article on Zub/Dlo: http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/2/1/14468042/la-lakers-dangelo -russell-ivica-zubac-stats-highlights-analysis-career-high-kobe-bryant -pau-gasol

From what I've read, this is all Jeanie.....

IhatetheCeltics
votes: 51
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8155

userpete1037 wrote:
From what I've read, this is all Jeanie.....

I doubt it's all Jeanie, she isn't the only owner of the team. Her voice isn't the only one that matters. She talked about how they all get together as a family and talk about the team and what to do.

Luke...
votes: 12
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1987

us.gif

I love Magic, I used to argue about him being better than Jordan... yknow, during the years Jordan was wining 6 rings lol... hey, I was a kid, give me a break lol... This is interesting for sure. Magic has had some questionable comments and opinions in the past, so I am glad this is an advisory role, and not suddenly a command position. I love Magic, but some of his comments from a couple years back were made with hindsight, not foresight. So hopefully we can see some decisions (or persuasions i guess is what an advisor does) about future moves n whatnot... I do know that he will be terrific i mean absolutely amazing at luring free agents... just flash that Magic smile and the deal is done! lol

userpete1037
votes: 18
LNS HOF Platinum

Posts: 20263
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif

IhatetheCeltics wrote:
I doubt it's all Jeanie, she isn't the only owner of the team. Her voice isn't the only one that matters. She talked about how they all get together as a family and talk about the team and what to do.

True but I believe this was all spearheaded by her. Whatever the case may be, I'm glad the choice or idea was made.

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16773
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

Luke... wrote:
I love Magic, I used to argue about him being better than Jordan... yknow, during the years Jordan was wining 6 rings lol... hey, I was a kid, give me a break lol... This is interesting for sure. Magic has had some questionable comments and opinions in the past, so I am glad this is an advisory role, and not suddenly a command position. I love Magic, but some of his comments from a couple years back were made with hindsight, not foresight. So hopefully we can see some decisions (or persuasions i guess is what an advisor does) about future moves n whatnot... I do know that he will be terrific i mean absolutely amazing at luring free agents... just flash that Magic smile and the deal is done! lol

Why should you ask for a break? He was better than Jordan and this is a lakers board...lol. Although imho Kareem was the best who ever laced it up. I agree with you with regards to his comments to the media which appeared purely hindsight. And this is the same guy who saw nothing wrong with Byron. I would have personally preferred if his ownership group of which he's a part of, made a bid to outright control the business.

lakerdudeinindy
votes: 15
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1429

Luke... wrote:
I love Magic, I used to argue about him being better than Jordan... yknow, during the years Jordan was wining 6 rings lol... hey, I was a kid, give me a break lol... This is interesting for sure. Magic has had some questionable comments and opinions in the past, so I am glad this is an advisory role, and not suddenly a command position. I love Magic, but some of his comments from a couple years back were made with hindsight, not foresight. So hopefully we can see some decisions (or persuasions i guess is what an advisor does) about future moves n whatnot... I do know that he will be terrific i mean absolutely amazing at luring free agents... just flash that Magic smile and the deal is done! lol

LOL....Luke my friend, I am from the Midwest and got into fights on the courts because I said the same thing. I wanted to be Magic and everyone else was Jordan. Glad to see someone with some basketball sense come in....but as with everything else with this team, we will se where this goes.

userpete1037
votes: 18
LNS HOF Platinum

Posts: 20263
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif

Luke... wrote:
I love Magic, I used to argue about him being better than Jordan... yknow, during the years Jordan was wining 6 rings lol... hey, I was a kid, give me a break lol... This is interesting for sure. Magic has had some questionable comments and opinions in the past, so I am glad this is an advisory role, and not suddenly a command position. I love Magic, but some of his comments from a couple years back were made with hindsight, not foresight. So hopefully we can see some decisions (or persuasions i guess is what an advisor does) about future moves n whatnot... I do know that he will be terrific i mean absolutely amazing at luring free agents... just flash that Magic smile and the deal is done! lol

He's my favorite of all time.......Don't care what anybody says. I give MJ his props but Magic is my guy.

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14351
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

IhatetheCeltics wrote:
I doubt it's all Jeanie, she isn't the only owner of the team. Her voice isn't the only one that matters. She talked about how they all get together as a family and talk about the team and what to do.

Well according to her, the buck stops with her. If that's true!!!

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14351
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
Why should you ask for a break? He was better than Jordan and this is a lakers board...lol. Although imho Kareem was the best who ever laced it up. I agree with you with regards to his comments to the media which appeared purely hindsight. And this is the same guy who saw nothing wrong with Byron. I would have personally preferred if his ownership group of which he's a part of, made a bid to outright control the business.

Jordan guy myself, but won't argue either way. Lol

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14351
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

Luke... wrote:
I love Magic, I used to argue about him being better than Jordan... yknow, during the years Jordan was wining 6 rings lol... hey, I was a kid, give me a break lol... This is interesting for sure. Magic has had some questionable comments and opinions in the past, so I am glad this is an advisory role, and not suddenly a command position. I love Magic, but some of his comments from a couple years back were made with hindsight, not foresight. So hopefully we can see some decisions (or persuasions i guess is what an advisor does) about future moves n whatnot... I do know that he will be terrific i mean absolutely amazing at luring free agents... just flash that Magic smile and the deal is done! lol

Great to see Magic back, but think it's going to take more than that smile to get FA'S to come here. Teams still needs to show they can be contender.

TERRY-TEAGLE
votes: 41
Laker GM
Posts: 3664
Location: Belmont Shores,CA

Bye Jim and Mitch

Shepherd
votes: 55
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 11041

ez.gif

Sighhhhh. Lakers just can't over themselves. When pple are able to be merged with robots they can keep these same dinosaurs alive and in place forever

Shepherd
votes: 55
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 11041

ez.gif

Also funny. Magic in place as some kind of advisor. Whatever that means. And Zu has a good game. And everyone claims the Lakers are suddenly on their way back to greatness lol. That California/L.A. Optimism thing is a bit weird. But ok.

IhatetheCeltics
votes: 51
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8155

Don't be surprised if this is the only front office move they make. Keep Mitch and Jim, and bring Magic on as an advisor. Because from the interview, he said he'll be giving advice to everybody, including Mitch and Jim. He and Mitch are close, no way in hell he will push for Kupchak's departure. It's basically putting a band aid on a foot long leak.

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16773
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

Shepherd wrote:
Also funny. Magic in place as some kind of advisor. Whatever that means. And Zu has a good game. And everyone claims the Lakers are suddenly on their way back to greatness lol. That California/L.A. Optimism thing is a bit weird. But ok.

I think Cali/LA Optimism is more infectious than Cali Pessimism...lol. Hollyweed....

userpete1037
votes: 18
LNS HOF Platinum
Posts: 20263
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
I think Cali/LA Optimism is more infectious than Cali Pessimism...lol. Hollyweed....

LMAO!!!!!....right...right.

Shepherd
votes: 55
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 11041

ez.gif

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
I think Cali/LA Optimism is more infectious than Cali Pessimism...lol. Hollyweed....

Cali brand opti is infantile and naive. No basis in reality. I prefer realism, which isn't pessimistic. Simply real. Why don't we wait and see what Magic brings. Assuming he's the second coming the second his name comes up is silly. Everyone thought Phil would be a great exec. WHy? Coz he was a good coach? How did that turn out? Is it pessimistic to say Phil sucks as a GM? lol...

Lakers have 19 turnovers tonight, resulting in 16 pts for the opposition. Wash has 9 turnovers, resulting in 2 Lakers pts. Is that real or imagined?

userpete1037
votes: 18
LNS HOF Platinum
Posts: 20263
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif

^^^

Yes it's a wait and see for Magic...of course. But Laker fans can't be happy that this move was made? No one said Magic is going to be savior but it's good news to know that he's onboard with trying to help the organization get back to respectability. God knows he knows way more about the game then Jimbo will ever know.

Shepherd
votes: 55
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 11041

ez.gif

userpete1037 wrote:
^^^

Yes it's a wait and see for Magic...of course. But Laker fans can't be happy that this move was made? No one said Magic is going to be savior but it's good news to know that he's onboard with trying to help the organization get back to respectability. God knows he knows way more about the game then Jimbo will ever know.

Only if he replaces Dumbo. If he's the 3rd wheel, brought in to 'teach' the execs there now what to do (not that he knows, having never had the job before, big illusion there. But hope it works) then it's no bueno. If he's being edged in to wedge Dumbo (and Glitch I hope) out then we won't know until we know.

userpete1037
votes: 18
LNS HOF Platinum
Posts: 20263
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif

^^^

Gotcha....

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16773
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

Shepherd wrote:
Cali brand opti is infantile and naive. No basis in reality. I prefer realism, which isn't pessimistic. Simply real. Why don't we wait and see what Magic brings. Assuming he's the second coming the second his name comes up is silly. Everyone thought Phil would be a great exec. WHy? Coz he was a good coach? How did that turn out? Is it pessimistic to say Phil sucks as a GM? lol...

Lakers have 19 turnovers tonight, resulting in 16 pts for the opposition. Wash has 9 turnovers, resulting in 2 Lakers pts. Is that real or imagined?

Cali brand opti is infantile and naive. Lol. That's a tad bit of generalization I would reckon. No realists exist in this state? Lol. So only folks from other states deserve that attribute? No one is really heralding that move or coming down hard on it. Let's just see how it pans out. Just writing it off completely even before he has assumed one day in office/work is also an extreme measure. We give the management grief(rightfully so )for inaction and then when they try to shake things up it is met with the same reaction.

Dave
votes: 45
Site Admin
Posts: 5372

us.gif

Well this could be the prelude to Jim's ouster it seems. Hopefully Magic will do a good job advising, though not sure how much power he really has until things really get shaken up.

Shepherd
votes: 55
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 11041

ez.gif
I think they just admitted the FO sucks. But why not call Magic something real. Rather than the political mumbo jumbo they are using to describe his role. Wow Magic interview says he's going to advice them not only on b-ball but also business etc. Wtf? Is he their new svengali? Smells like a PR move for ticket holders and nothing but. Like something got done, but in fact nothing really did. Taking credit for Dodgers winning? C'mon Magic. They needed to make moves last season and didn't. They needed to make offseason moves and didn't. Don't tell me that 2nd....

Shepherd
votes: 55
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 11041

ez.gif

Dave wrote:
Well this could be the prelude to Jim's ouster it seems. Hopefully Magic will do a good job advising, though not sure how much power he really has until things really get shaken up.

Then just ouster him already. If that's what it is then do it. Be bold. No puzzy azz move...c'mon now...this is the Lakers, not a girl's softball team. Even then they're probably tougher than we are lol...

Just feels like they're politically saying they're keeping things as is but bringing in a ringer to help the guys out. Which means letting them of the hook for being hopeless, rather than dump their butts off on the nearest curb.

Luke...
votes: 12
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1987

us.gif

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
I think Cali/LA Optimism is more infectious than Cali Pessimism...lol. Hollyweed....

Beats doom n gloom

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12890
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

Everyone needs to read the article over on silverscreen and roll about magic and his appointment. Pretty much sums up what I think in a better way.

Just further smoke and mirrors. Y'all need to wake up.

FrankBecerra
votes: 2
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1559
Location: Staples Center

I remember a few years ago Magic said Byron is the most awesome coach ever and he continued to back him for along time.

Shepherd
votes: 55
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 11041

ez.gif

Tempy wrote:
Everyone needs to read the article over on silverscreen and roll about magic and his appointment. Pretty much sums up what I think in a better way.

Just further smoke and mirrors. Y'all need to wake up.

Which one? Link pls?

Shepherd
votes: 55
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 11041

ez.gif

Tempy wrote:
Everyone needs to read the article over on silverscreen and roll about magic and his appointment. Pretty much sums up what I think in a better way.

Just further smoke and mirrors. Y'all need to wake up.

The one about JB will still be calling the shots? Another 'ceremonial' position for Magic? I wonder what they're paying him. It must be a lot to get him to shirk his many other business interests to come to the Lakers aid. But you know what, in the end it just ups his brand, so it may be as much about that. Soon he will pretty much be the most famous Angelino ever. Synonymous with LA city. They'll give him the key to the city (if they haven't already) etc. Pity they don't show the Captain that kind of respect. But really, if he has to sit down and teach laker coaches the 'finer points of the finger roll', something is rotten in LA LA Land. Looks like nothing more than a PR grab, buy Dumbo and Glitch some time, say all the right things, pple will sigh in relief, the master has us covered. Let's go back to sleep, all is well. Smh...

Or the one about Russ and Zu being the next Kobe and Shaq? LMAO...man they are trying hard to sell this current squad to let JB and Glitch off the hook for another year. Jeannie must really be pizzing her pants at the thought of letting them go. Sheeesh. Let me do it...plsssss!

Shepherd
votes: 55
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 11041

ez.gif

Luke... wrote:
Beats doom n gloom

Too many pple (and sports fans) prefer a pretty lie to an ugly truth. That's a shame.

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16773
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

FrankBecerra wrote:
I remember a few years ago Magic said Byron is the most awesome coach ever and he continued to back him for along time.

Lmao!!! Exactly what I posted earlier. This is one cool poster we have here. Lol

IhatetheCeltics
votes: 51
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8155

Tempy wrote:
Everyone needs to read the article over on silverscreen and roll about magic and his appointment. Pretty much sums up what I think in a better way.

Just further smoke and mirrors. Y'all need to wake up.

Yup, I watched his interview on SpectrumSportsNet and came away with a similar conclusion. They brought him in as an advisor. But to the dismay of many, nobody will be losing their jobs. Magic confirmed himself that Jim Buss will still be in charge, and he talks frequently w/ Kupchak about the future; where they are going, and how he can help. Mitch and Jim are here to stay, the decision has already been made by Jeanie and the rest of the Buss family. People are going to be speculating about who the next GM will be over the next few months, and that's just a waste of time.

Shepherd
votes: 55
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 11041

ez.gif

IhatetheCeltics wrote:
Yup, I watched his interview on SpectrumSportsNet and came away with a similar conclusion. They brought him in as an advisory role, true. But to the dismay of many, nobody will be losing their jobs. Magic confirmed himself that Jim Buss will still be in charge, and he talks frequently w/ Kupchak about the future; where they are going, and how he can help. Mitch and Jim are here to stay, the decision has already been made by Jeanie and the rest of the Buss family. People are going to be speculating about who the next GM will be over the next few months, and that's just a waste of time.

I pray you are both wrong. If it's so, I just lost what minuscule drop of hope and respect for Jeannie and the organization I had left. She's as much of a wuss as the rest of them. No balls for the job. I will wait and see, but if so it's quite possibly the lamest P/R move I've ever seen. And most bloody obvious. Is this really the best she/they can muster to save their own asses? Do they imagine the fans will fall for that? If the fans do, they are dumber than I imagined. If it is the salve pple have wanted, then it's snake oil and they deserve what they get. Magic could have 'consulted' any time along the way, so yes the timing is suspect. he also has zero experience. And Glitch after this 30 years has run out of ideas and needs Magic to school him? Really just unreal. This family will ruin this team.

But then, I'm apparently the doom and gloom guy lol. So I guess we should all adopt the posi'tude and see it as a saving grace and super duper cool move by the FO and their genius owner. And go back to putting our heads in the sand...to live and smile another day. C'mon boys, turn that frown upside down, it's Disney Town after all lol...

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16773
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

Luke... wrote:
Beats doom n gloom

No doubts. lol. You see a realist is that who knows this is another tank/rebuilding season. That's the ugly truth. No lies involved out here. Proof is in the pudding. Secondly a realist controls what he can control and does not sweat about what he can't.

A sports fan who conforms to a pre defined, standardized norm or is compliant with certain protocols is a friggin robot and not necessarily a sports fan. There is no logical explanation for the behavioral pattern of a typical sports fan. You could always program a bot and induce a customized behavior or reaction within the parameters of a controlled simulated environment however that would be counter productive to human evolution.

Shepherd
votes: 55
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 11041

ez.gif

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
No doubts. lol. You see a realist is that who knows that this is another tank/rebuilding season. That's the ugly truth. No lies involved out here. Proof is in the pudding. Secondly a realist controls what he can control and does not sweat about what he can't.

A sport fan who conforms to a pre defined, standardized norm or is compliant with certain protocols is a friggin robot and not necessarily a sports fan. There is no logical explanation for the behavioral pattern of a typical sports fan. You could always program a bot and induce a customized behavior or reaction within the parameters of a controlled simulated environment however that would be counter productive to human evolution.

Uhhhh...ok...I think you've been sniffing tank exhaust fumes too long lol...

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16773
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

Shepherd wrote:
Uhhhh...ok...I think you've been sniffing tank exhaust fumes too long lol...

No I'm trying to be a realist while picking up depressed souls in the process. Come to think of it sniffing fumes might result in a high....lol.

Total wine/Bevmo bills cut in half.....lmao!!!

Shepherd
votes: 55
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 11041

ez.gif

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
No I'm trying to be a realist while picking up depressed souls in the process. Come to think of it sniffing fumes might result in a high....lol.

Total wine/Bevmo bills cut in half.....lmao!!!

You should try stand up. Take it on the road. Good stuff. ..

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16773
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

Shepherd wrote:
You should try stand up. Take it on the road. Good stuff. ..

I always have one for the road. Don't tell that to the coppers tho... lol

Shepherd
votes: 55
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 11041

ez.gif

I guess I'm not the only crazy one still working and/or awake Wink

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16773
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

Shepherd wrote:
I guess I'm not the only crazy one still working and/or awake Wink

Hahaha. Sorry mate just got back from TGIF. Buddy's b'day and voluptuous waitresses delivering the goods...the draft that is.. Lol.

Shepherd
votes: 55
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 11041

ez.gif

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
Hahaha. Sorry mate just got back from TGIF. Buddy's b'day and voluptuous waitresses delivering the goods...the draft that is.. Lol.

Must not have been the TGIF near my place then lol....no eye candy there....yikes...

Suddenly we sound like Donald Trump when he doesn't know the mic is on haha

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16773
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

Shepherd wrote:
Must not have been the TGIF near my place then lol....no eye candy there....yikes...

Suddenly we sound like Donald Trump when he doesn't know the mic is on haha

Lmao!!!

But then again it's the same outcome even when he knows.

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14351
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif


Options Quick Reply: RE: Lakers Bring Back Magic As Advisor
register
You are an anonymous user- or .
Quote the last message
Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)
Notify me when a reply is posted
Don't Check Spelling
Note: Twitter & Youtube BBCODE Tags are no longer necessary. The system will automatically convert links to tweets & youtube videos.
   


   
   
register
You are an anonymous user- Register now or Log in Now!