Rumor: Ben McLemore: Buy Low Trade Option

Lakers News Surge Forum/Message Board » Lakers Rumors
Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Search This Topic:
 
AllinOneSports
NewsSurge Newbie
Posts: 46
votes: 0

McLemore could be an interesting guy the Lakers' could trade for at a relatively low cost with tremendous upside. Broke it all down here: http://jkavo.sportsblog.com/posts/22535906/ben-mclemore-could-be-an-in triguing-buy-low-option-for-the-lakers.html

He is only 23 and at the worst he doesn't pan out and takes up about $5 million in room but his upside is great and his long distance stroke could fit nicely in the offense. The Kings are looking to trade him and he might not cost more than a couple second round picks and Tarik Black/Anthony Brown. Moving out of Sacramento's dysfunctional organization could do him a world of good and he would fit in nicely with the rest of the Lakers' young core. Obviously, this deal will probably never happen, but it is something I hope Mitch looks into.


IhatetheCeltics
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8155
votes: 51

I don't agree with the notion that a change in scenery will suddenly turn a player's career around. If he isn't producing at his first stint, I think he is what he is. Just look at the history of guys who were drafted high. With all of them, they at least showed something right away that told you whether they had it or not. With McLemore, it's been a whole lot of "meh." We got enough guys with potential, but at least they haven't had 3 seasons as a pro with nothing to show for it.


AllinOneSports
NewsSurge Newbie
Posts: 46
votes: 0

IhatetheCeltics wrote:
I don't agree with the notion that a change in scenery will suddenly turn a player's career around. If he isn't producing at his first stint, I think he is what he is. Just look at the history of guys who were drafted high. With all of them, they at least showed something right away that told you whether they had it or not. With McLemore, it's been a whole lot of "meh." We got enough guys with potential, but at least they haven't had 3 seasons as a pro with nothing to show for it.

He did average 12 points per game last year and his 3 point percentage has steadily increased throughout his career. He has the tools to be a good defensive player and has flashed that potential at certain points thus far. He would fit seamlessly into Walton's offense and he has the upside to be a very good player. I understand that he may just be a bust at this point, but even at his current levels of production he is likely a bargain at $5 million per year. If McLemore was a free agent this offseason he probably would have gotten a deal similar to that of Moe Harkless. Lakers have $13 million in cap space, McLemore could be one effective way to use it.


tmike23
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 732
Location: Atlanta
votes: 6

Why not? I like him better then Anthony Brown lol. I just don't know what the Kings asking price for him would be at this point in time. 1 or 2 secound rounders?


AllinOneSports
NewsSurge Newbie
Posts: 46
votes: 0

tmike23 wrote:
Why not? I like him better then Anthony Brown lol. I just don't know what the Kings asking price for him would be at this point in time. 1 or 2 secound rounders?

If I had to guess I would say two second rounders with one pretty heavily protected just because he still has upside. But its the Kings so you never know.


gemfow
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12402
Location: Maryland
us.gif
votes: 181

I say pass on Ben too. We have two 6'5" combo guards already in Ruseell and Clarkson. I don't see the point of adding a 6'5" shooting guard who doesn't seem like he will be any better than what he is now. It's just being redundant IMO because we have other gunners like Williams and Young on this team. Why get Mclemore who only plays sg and offers very little playmaking ability?


BaadMaster
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8568
votes: 98

He's 23. So we need him to bring up our average age! LOL!

I say roll the dice if a high draft pick isn't involved. (You see how valuable draft picks are.)


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14311
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

gemfow wrote:
I say pass on Ben too. We have two 6'5" combo guards already in Ruseell and Clarkson. I don't see the point of adding a 6'5" shooting guard who doesn't seem like he will be any better than what he is now. It's just being redundant IMO because we have other gunners like Williams and Young on this team. Why get Mclemore who only plays sg and offers very little playmaking ability?

Totally agree, don't really need him.


userpete1037
LNS HOF Platinum
Posts: 20019
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif
votes: 18

Pass..........


AllinOneSports
NewsSurge Newbie
Posts: 46
votes: 0

gemfow wrote:
I say pass on Ben too. We have two 6'5" combo guards already in Ruseell and Clarkson. I don't see the point of adding a 6'5" shooting guard who doesn't seem like he will be any better than what he is now. It's just being redundant IMO because we have other gunners like Williams and Young on this team. Why get Mclemore who only plays sg and offers very little playmaking ability?

It would be a bit redundant but he has good upside as a flier option if we can get him on the cheap in a trade. Would fit the offense well. Not necessarily needed but could become a good player.


Shepherd
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 11041

ez.gif
votes: 55

AllinOneSports wrote:
It would be a bit redundant but he has good upside as a flier option if we can get him on the cheap in a trade. Would fit the offense well. Not necessarily needed but could become a good player.

Don't mind the idea, if we can get rid of Young or Brown in the process somehow. But I think we have a higher need atm for a back up big. Sacre has to go. We still have dead wood on this team.


AllinOneSports
NewsSurge Newbie
Posts: 46
votes: 0

Shepherd wrote:
Don't mind the idea, if we can get rid of Young or Brown in the process somehow. But I think we have a higher need atm for a back up big. Sacre has to go. We still have dead wood on this team.

We have Mozgov and Zubac as pure centers, Black/Nance as hybird 4/5 guys and then Randle as a pure PF and Deng as a stretch 4. I think we are good in the big man area. Also think Sacre doesn't make it past training camp. Zach Auguste will take his place IMO.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14311
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

Think we're good at sg, with Clarkson and Lou ,plus Ingram possible getting mins there. But Clarkson looking real good.https://mobile.twitter.com/LakersSBN/status/760534359577337861


userpete1037
LNS HOF Platinum
Posts: 20019
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif
votes: 18

kkennon1 wrote:
Think we're good at sg, with Clarkson and Lou ,plus Ingram possible getting mins there. But Clarkson looking real good.https://mobile.twitter.com/LakersSBN/status/760534359577337861

He has a funny release but it works for him.


seasonticketholda
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 618
votes: 6

kkennon1 wrote:
Think we're good at sg, with Clarkson and Lou ,plus Ingram possible getting mins there. But Clarkson looking real good.https://mobile.twitter.com/LakersSBN/status/760534359577337861

Key word missing in the title of this video is 'Clarkson can't miss "open" three pointers'


mcbill
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1721
votes: 16

I kind of just dismissed this thread when I first saw it. I don't really see sg as a need or McLemore as an upgrade over what we already have. If we waive and stretch Young, however, it might be a good idea. McLemore's biggest problem is that he just doesn't really have a good feel for the game, which has only been compounded by the carousel of coaches he's been exposed to. He is uber athletic and has really nice shooting mechanics and could thrive under Luke's tuteledge.

I think we are going to get a second round pick from Boston for taking Amir Johnson(allowing them to sign JR Smith). If we packaged that pick and one of the ones we obtained from Chicago along with AB we would gain a lottery level talent for minimal assets. We could develop McLemore and be in a good position with some large am expiring contracts in case a good trade opportunity came along during the year.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14311
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

seasonticketholda wrote:
Key word missing in the title of this video is 'Clarkson can't miss "open" three pointers'

Lol right, but still impressive.


AllinOneSports
NewsSurge Newbie
Posts: 46
votes: 0

mcbill wrote:
I kind of just dismissed this thread when I first saw it. I don't really see sg as a need or McLemore as an upgrade over what we already have. If we waive and stretch Young, however, it might be a good idea. McLemore's biggest problem is that he just doesn't really have a good feel for the game, which has only been compounded by the carousel of coaches he's been exposed to. He is uber athletic and has really nice shooting mechanics and could thrive under Luke's tuteledge.

I think we are going to get a second round pick from Boston for taking Amir Johnson(allowing them to sign JR Smith). If we packaged that pick and one of the ones we obtained from Chicago along with AB we would gain a lottery level talent for minimal assets. We could develop McLemore and be in a good position with some large am expiring contracts in case a good trade opportunity came along during the year.

Exactly. Just because McLemore does not fill a need doesn't mean it can't be a savvy acquisition if done correctly.


Options Quick Reply: RE: Rumor: Ben McLemore: Buy Low Trade Option
register
You are an anonymous user- or .
Quote the last message
Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)
Notify me when a reply is posted
Don't Check Spelling
Note: Twitter & Youtube BBCODE Tags are no longer necessary. The system will automatically convert links to tweets & youtube videos.
   
 
Go To the Top of the ThreadGo Home
Post new topic   Reply to topic
register
You are an anonymous user- Register now or Log in Now!


Add our Los Angeles Lakers Blog RSS Feed, the Lakers Rumors RSS Feed, the Lakers News RSS feed, and the Lakers Forum RSS feed to get the latest Laker News and Rumors and Lakers Game info in your RSS/XML reader!