Lakers Sign Luol Deng (4 Years, 72 Mil)

Lakers News Surge Forum/Message Board » Lakers General Discussions
Post new topic Reply to topic
Poll
Do you like the Lakers Getting Luol Deng?
Yes
74%
 74%  [20]
No
25%
 25%  [7]
Total Votes : 27

Author Search This Topic:
 
AChad92
Laker GM
Posts: 4776
votes: 13


lake24show
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1176
Location: Nebraska
us.gif
votes: 7

Would have rathered given that money to a younger player like parsons or batum but this isn't too bad...by the time his contract is up Ingram will have already taken over and deng will be coming off the bench. We've got our SF position locked up now...now we need another guard and another backup center for depth and we should be golden. Not the team I hoped for coming into free agency but this will give our young core even more time to grow


LakerDymes
Laker GM
Posts: 3741
votes: 19

From a fit standpoint Deng is a great fit. He can play the Barnes or iguodala role as a 3 or 4 in Luke's offense. He's a very good defender, is. Good corner 3pt shooter, can pass and rebound and is a great locker room guy. The only thing that I don't like is the fact that we paid freaking mozgov 16 million per season! If mozgov had come cheaper this deal would look so much better.

Like the mozgov deal, Deng is 30 and has injuries so I hope there are team options in both their contracts for years 3 & 4

I think these deals tell us the front office's mindset going forward. They know they aren't getting anyone either next year in free agency and are going to surround the young guys with veteran role players


MAGICLAKEZ
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16627
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif
votes: 70

Why are lakers dishing out 4yr contracts to 30 yr old vets? Joe Johnson just got signed for 2/$22m. Even Howard ended up with a 3 yr deal. Man Augustine at 4/$27m looks like a steal and so does ish smith at 3/$18m


kb24_4life
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 6189

us.gif
votes: 50

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
Why are lakers dishing out 4yr contracts to 30 yr old vets? Joe Johnson just got signed for 2/$22m. Even Howard ended up with a 3 yr deal. Man Augustine at 4/$27m looks like a steal and so does ish smith at 3/$18m

Not that I disagree about the 4 year contacts, but Joe Johnson is 35. These other guys are late 20's to 31. With Howard I'd imagine a player option after year two, so pretty much three guaranteed years for him. On the Lakers' contracts I'm thinking team option after three years. We'll know all that soon though.

Augustine is a steal with this new market. Under ten million for a vet nowadays is impressive it seems.


Ray
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1686
Location: Ray
votes: 25

The Lakers are in a weird spot right now. Our youth had shown potential to grow into legit starts for a contending team in a few years (possibly). So if our FO feels that way, then we need to keep those rooster spots open for our youth once they are fully ready and developed all the way. For example would be this signing of Deng. He is a useful short term starter, but he won't be here starting when we then it around.

I think the Lakers have come to the reality no star is coming here until we at least make the playoffs, so surround our guys with other pieces and let our youth flourish.

Ps I read our FO did offer Bazemore 4/72mil but he turned us down and went back to ATL


kb24_4life
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 6189

us.gif
votes: 50

Found this interesting.

"After struggling to find consistency and a comfortable role through much of his two seasons in Miami, Deng blossomed when he shifted from small forward to power forward with All-Star Chris Bosh lost in February for the second time to treat blood clots.

Deng, 31, averaged 15.2 points, 8.1 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 1.2 steals in 28 games after the All-Star break, when he shot 48.4 percent from the field in 31.4 minutes. Deng's versatility on both ends of the court was vital in the Heat's transition to an up-tempo pace over the second half of the season and fueled their push to the second round of the playoffs."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16699 ... eal-report


lakers_fan_1995
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 2029
Location: Riverside
votes: 3

im am actually happy about deng. I guarantee this dude could have gotten the same contract in multiple other cities. Especially with the contracts being given away. I mean look at Evan turner I'll take deng any day over him even in his 30s. The mozgov deal I'm iffy about but if he can give us 10-12 points and 8-10 rebounds then the contract is preety much equal to his production in this current NBA salary.


AChad92
Laker GM
Posts: 4776
votes: 13

I like this signing. Provides us with a veteran swing man who can shoot and play defense and is very versatile. Great mentor for Ingram and Randle especially. I'm hoping it's also 3 year + team option. That would make the deal much better like they did with Mozgov.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14311
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

AChad92 wrote:
I like this signing. Provides us with a veteran swing man who can shoot and play defense and is very versatile. Great mentor for Ingram and Randle especially. I'm hoping it's also 3 year + team option. That would make the deal much better like they did with Mozgov.

Still haven't seen where Mosgov is 3 + team option. Is that true?


AChad92
Laker GM
Posts: 4776
votes: 13

kkennon1 wrote:
Still haven't seen where Mosgov is 3 + team option. Is that true?

I've seen it to be true, but we won't know for sure until the contract is officially signed.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14311
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

AChad92 wrote:
I've seen it to be true, but we won't know for sure until the contract is officially signed.

Hope it's true on both players, makes a big difference. I can actually sleep at night now. Lol


Luke...
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1987

us.gif
votes: 12

Think it's already been mentioned, Deng is a veteran version of Barnes. Plays the 3/4, can hit the 3, does a lot of all around stuff. Hoping these salaries don't bite us in a few years when it's time to resign our young guys.


lakers_fan_1995
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 2029
Location: Riverside
votes: 3

I think a lineup at times of Russell clarkson Ingram deng and Randle can be productive whenever we run a small ball lineup ( if we do )


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14311
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

Luke... wrote:
Think it's already been mentioned, Deng is a veteran version of Barnes. Plays the 3/4, can hit the 3, does a lot of all around stuff. Hoping these salaries don't bite us in a few years when it's time to resign our young guys.

Nah, their contracts will be ending, when young guys are up for new ones.


OCLakerfan8
Laker GM
Posts: 2896
votes: 20

This is a solid signing. We needed some good vets and Deng fits the bill. The guy is still productive and will help us. Possibly this will mean Ingram is gonna be playing some SG moving Clarkson to the Bench?

Russell/Clarkson/Huertas

Ingram/Williams/Young

Deng/Anthony Brown

Mozgov/Black/Zubac

Randle/Nance jr.

If guys stay healthy it's not a bad line up if you ask me. Definitely improved over last year.


Dave
Site Admin
Posts: 5311

us.gif
votes: 45

Very good signing- a SF veteran who plays defense, rebounds and can hit the 3. It is nice to get someone as experienced as him to help stabilize the team. The only thing is he is 31, but should still have several productive years ahead of him.


ikeryder13
Casual Laker Fan
Posts: 135
votes: 0

Was this a max contract? How much more money do we have left?


Ray
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1686
Location: Ray
votes: 25

ikeryder13 wrote:
Was this a max contract? How much more money do we have left?

No where near a max contract for Deng as a veteran, however no team was giving him a max deal.

Pincus said the other day if we stretch Young will would still have 40mil in cap and that was including Clarkson and Mozgof new deals. So I would assume we would be at 22mil left to spend if we stretch young or 18mil if we keep him.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14311
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

OCLakerfan8 wrote:
This is a solid signing. We needed some good vets and Deng fits the bill. The guy is still productive and will help us. Possibly this will mean Ingram is gonna be playing some SG moving Clarkson to the Bench?

Russell/Clarkson/Huertas

Ingram/Williams/Young

Deng/Anthony Brown

Mozgov/Black/Zubac

Randle/Nance jr.

If guys stay healthy it's not a bad line up if you ask me. Definitely improved over last year.

Will be interesting to see if Deng is in starting lineup or he pushes Ingram to bench. Or your lineup happens with Ingram at sg , also wouldn't surprise me to see him at pf, he played at his best there after Bosh went out.


saveferris42
Casual Laker Fan
Posts: 181
votes: 2

I like the deal. Deng is a quality vet. His worth is not just in his game but his guidance to the young players. He will add versatility to the line up when Walton wants to go small.

I'd rather the lakers give this contract to a proven once all-star than a lot less proven player like Bazemore. This signing shows they are thinking about the development of their current young core of players.


userpete1037
LNS HOF Platinum
Posts: 20018
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif
votes: 18

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
Why are lakers dishing out 4yr contracts to 30 yr old vets? Joe Johnson just got signed for 2/$22m. Even Howard ended up with a 3 yr deal. Man Augustine at 4/$27m looks like a steal and so does ish smith at 3/$18m

I'm just wondering if we couldn't have signed him for $9mil per year deal. But again, I can't complain if Mozgov got what he got.


ralppcobarde
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 6174

rp.gif
votes: 28

Solid signing,this is looking like a bit of Warriors structured team.We need two-way players to make it work and Deng is a great fit.but damn,players are getting paid. Read someone down the road that Lebron will be paid 100mil a year,that's crazy amount of money.few years ago KG is getting for just about 30mil a year!!! That's sound a lot, while Kobe got 25mil.

Mike Conley is getting paid for 30mil....overpaid for a player who isn't even a superstar in the league.


steven18
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1746

us.gif
votes: 11

Great signing...EXACTLY what we need a solid defender and great locker room guy (will be a great mentor for Ingram) ...we still have space to go after 1 more guy, we'll see what they do


userpete1037
LNS HOF Platinum
Posts: 20018
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif
votes: 18

ralppcobarde wrote:
Solid signing,this is looking like a bit of Warriors structured team.We need two-way players to make it work and Deng is a great fit.but damn,players are getting paid. Read someone down the road that Lebron will be paid 100mil a year,that's crazy amount of money.few years ago KG is getting for just about 30mil a year!!! That's sound a lot, while Kobe got 25mil.

Mike Conley is getting paid for 30mil....overpaid for a player who isn't even a superstar in the league.

Kobe's probably somewhere shaking his head. But that's the sign of the times. I can only imagine how players from wayyyy back in the day like Oscar Robertson on up to MJ, Bird & Magic feel. It is what it is. Almost like monopoly money.


lepcitylakers
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 819
votes: 2

this money is insane. Mosgov and deng won't be here 4 years. Mozgov hopefully has a team option after 3 and deng will be traded after 2 seasons. We need to now spend money on actually future pieces. Moe Harkless is a great addition with the young guys to build on from.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14311
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

lepcitylakers wrote:
this money is insane. Mosgov and deng won't be here 4 years. Mozgov hopefully has a team option after 3 and deng will be traded after 2 seasons. We need to now spend money on actually future pieces. Moe Harkless is a great addition with the young guys to build on from.

It's the new going rate, 11 mil per players are now 15 mil and so on. Next year's FA will even have bigger contracts on mid level players after cap goes up again.


lepcitylakers
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 819
votes: 2

Mozgov and deng were both bad signings. We should have signed guys on 1 year deals and waited free agency out to the point where you may be able to get some steals. Ish smith, Moe harkless, dwight powell, meyers leonard, seth curry would have been guys to consider. Zaza would have been a better fit than mozgov. Team options on deng and mozgov would have been better. Jeff green getting 1 year 15 million is what we should have done. Jeff Green and Zaza would have been better signings and we then could have had 22+34+additional 20. Next year we potentially could have had 76 million plus available. Mitch talked everyday about financial flexibility, that was complete bs.


Ray
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1686
Location: Ray
votes: 25

lepcitylakers wrote:
Mozgov and deng were both bad signings. We should have signed guys on 1 year deals and waited free agency out to the point where you may be able to get some steals. Ish smith, Moe harkless, dwight powell, meyers leonard, seth curry would have been guys to consider. Zaza would have been a better fit than mozgov. Team options on deng and mozgov would have been better. Jeff green getting 1 year 15 million is what we should have done. Jeff Green and Zaza would have been better signings and we then could have had 22+34+additional 20. Next year we potentially could have had 76 million plus available. Mitch talked everyday about financial flexibility, that was complete bs.

Have you not noticed that having a bunch of cap does not make top FA wants to com here? Top FA want to at least join a playoff team. And doing a bunch of 1 year deals does not turn us into a playoff team as you can see from years past.

Do you really think that next Summer Top FAs will join us just because we have 70mil to spend even though we will end up as a bad team once again?

We can't keep going in this pattern we must start growing now and try to be a decent team, so players want to come here. 1 year deals is basically saying we are going to suck.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14311
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

Ray wrote:
Have you not noticed that having a bunch of cap does not make top FA wants to com here? Top FA want to at least join a playoff team. And doing a bunch of 1 year deals does not turn us into a playoff team as you can see from years past.

Do you really think that next Summer Top FAs will join us just because we have 70mil to spend even though we will end up as a bad team once again?

We can't keep going in this pattern we must start growing now and try to be a decent team, so players want to come here. 1 year deals is basically saying we are going to suck.

Agree, can't keep going the 1 year route, top tier players are not coming here till our young core shows improvement. Also think a lot of top players not looking our way has a lot do with infighting in ownership.


IhatetheCeltics
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8155
votes: 51


Repped High Quality Post

This is a good signing. This team needs veteran leadership more than anything, and Deng is perfect for that. High character guy, plays the right way, consummate professional. I really don't mind the price, all these guys are getting vastly overpaid, and I would rather give the money to an established veteran than to a younger player who hasn't proven his worth. You can't expect to give out 1 year deals anymore, especially in this new NBA. Players have no incentive to sign for one year, when other teams are offering 3-5. You have to start putting something decent together. Get some decent guys, if our young players start to blossom, then big time FAs will look our way. Lakers aren't in that position right now.


Shepherd
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 11041

ez.gif
votes: 55

There goes the lottery Wink

I like Deng but he disappeared in the play offs and isn't the D player he once was, neither is his shot falling as easily. And to pay him, a guy 31, $70M is insane. Suddenly makes Kobe's $25M look not so bad. How many 38 yo players can still score 60 in a game?

It's only sports, and with all the problems in the world, and all the pple hurting financially, this is a slap in the face. The NBA should have kept the salaries the same (they were already too high IMO) and given money to medical research or smth lol....

I get tv threw money at them, but c'mon, this is just ridiculous. Entitled players will become even more entitled and egotistical now. And LBJ in a cple years will become the richest athlete on earth, even based on a one year salary. He already think she's god incarnate, imagine what will happen in a cple years? The other GOATS from the years in the NBA didn't have egos like his. Not even close. They were all like humble servants compared to this guy.


kerby720
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 2124
votes: 12

IhatetheCeltics wrote:
This is a good signing. This team needs veteran leadership more than anything, and Deng is perfect for that. High character guy, plays the right way, consummate professional. I really don't mind the price, all these guys are getting vastly overpaid, and I would rather give the money to an established veteran than to a younger player who hasn't proven his worth. You can't expect to give out 1 year deals anymore, especially in this new NBA. Players have no incentive to sign for one year, when other teams are offering 3-5. You have to start putting something decent together. Get some decent guys, if our young players start to blossom, then big time FAs will look our way. Lakers aren't in that position right now.

Repped!!!

Exactly!!!! What's the point of holding on to cap space when marquee FAs aren't even meeting with us. Sign high character guys that can be a tremendous influence on our younger guys.

That way a couple of years from now, we'll be a more attractive FA destination for the marquee guys. The length of the contracts is longer than I would have liked, but 3 years from now once we really start to develop an identity and our guys flourish, Deng and Mozgov's contracts will be off the books/can be traded.

There's a reason why the Wolves are looked at as a lot better than the Sixers, even though they both have a wealth of young talent. The Wolves also had Garnett, Prince, Budinger, Neal, etc. to help show the young guys how to win.


kerby720
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 2124
votes: 12

Shepherd wrote:
There goes the lottery Wink

I like Deng but he disappeared in the play offs and isn't the D player he once was, neither is his shot falling as easily. And to pay him, a guy 31, $70M is insane. Suddenly makes Kobe's $25M look not so bad. How many 38 yo players can still score 60 in a game?

It's only sports, and with all the problems in the world, and all the pple hurting financially, this is a slap in the face. The NBA should have kept the salaries the same (they were already too high IMO) and given money to medical research or smth lol....

I get tv threw money at them, but c'mon, this is just ridiculous. Entitled players will become even more entitled and egotistical now. And LBJ in a cple years will become the richest athlete on earth, even based on a one year salary. He already think she's god incarnate, imagine what will happen in a cple years? The other GOATS from the years in the NBA didn't have egos like his. Not even close. They were all like humble servants compared to this guy.

I'm not sure why the comparison was made between Kobe and Deng. Kobe is and always will be an all-time great, but I feel that Deng can be a better influence on our young core. He's a high character guy, doesn't make many mistakes, and just is an all around better team guy. Obviously, as far as legacies go, Deng can in no way match Kobe. However, what we're trying to do is help develop Ingram, Russell, Randle, Clarkson, Nance Jr, A. Brown, and Zubac. If there's nobody here to help teach these young guys, they'll just be another version of the Sixers.


Tempy
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12792
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif
votes: 51

lepcitylakers wrote:
Mozgov and deng were both bad signings. We should have signed guys on 1 year deals and waited free agency out to the point where you may be able to get some steals. Ish smith, Moe harkless, dwight powell, meyers leonard, seth curry would have been guys to consider. Zaza would have been a better fit than mozgov. Team options on deng and mozgov would have been better. Jeff green getting 1 year 15 million is what we should have done. Jeff Green and Zaza would have been better signings and we then could have had 22+34+additional 20. Next year we potentially could have had 76 million plus available. Mitch talked everyday about financial flexibility, that was complete bs.

Agree some what. Deng and Mozgov are decent players, but the Lakers vastly overpaid and signed them to contracts that are too long. These should have been 2 year deals at a higher dollar amount with a team option for a 3rd year.

This not only gets the Lakers some trade assets, it brings moderate stability to the roster and maintains financial flexibility.

What happened to the Lakers not signing players for the sake of it? Mitch is full of sh1t.


kerby720
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 2124
votes: 12

Tempy wrote:
Agree some what. Deng and Mozgov are decent players, but the Lakers vastly overpaid and signed them to contracts that are too long. These should have been 2 year deals at a higher dollar amount with a team option for a 3rd year.

This not only gets the Lakers some trade assets, it brings moderate stability to the roster and maintains financial flexibility.

What happened to the Lakers not signing players for the sake of it? Mitch is full of sh1t.

Signing them for 2 years is all fine and dandy, but if others are offering them 4 year deals, then what do you want the Lakers to do? Deng especially had lots of teams trying to lure him over. Obviously, I can't know for sure, but what if we only offered them, and others, two year deals and no one signs with us. Then once all the decent FAs have already signed on with other teams, we just sign the leftovers to 1 year deals, ala the past couple of years.

What would you guys be saying then?


Tempy
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12792
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif
votes: 51

kerby720 wrote:
Repped!!!

Exactly!!!! What's the point of holding on to cap space when marquee FAs aren't even meeting with us. Sign high character guys that can be a tremendous influence on our younger guys.

That way a couple of years from now, we'll be a more attractive FA destination for the marquee guys. The length of the contracts is longer than I would have liked, but 3 years from now once we really start to develop an identity and our guys flourish, Deng and Mozgov's contracts will be off the books/can be traded.

There's a reason why the Wolves are looked at as a lot better than the Sixers, even though they both have a wealth of young talent. The Wolves also had Garnett, Prince, Budinger, Neal, etc. to help show the young guys how to win.

The problem is the Lakers are losing cap space and fast. After next summer Randles deal is up. That means Randle/Clarkson/Mozgov/Deng/Russell and Nance account for $56 million + whatever Randle signs for. Most likely $20 million plus. From a projected cap of $100 in 2017/18 that doesn't leave much cap space to add to the core. That means the FO have to find a trade involving Deng/Mozgov to get a star. That is not going to be easy.


Tempy
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12792
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif
votes: 51

kerby720 wrote:
Signing them for 2 years is all fine and dandy, but if others are offering them 4 year deals, then what do you want the Lakers to do? Deng especially had lots of teams trying to lure him over. Obviously, I can't know for sure, but what if we only offered them, and others, two year deals and no one signs with us. Then once all the decent FAs have already signed on with other teams, we just sign the leftovers to 1 year deals, ala the past couple of years.

What would you guys be saying then?

The player has a choice to make. I'm presuming both these deals are a team option on the 4th year.

That means Mozgov is $48m over 3 and Deng $54 over 3. If the Lakers offered $20m a year that would mean they get $40m over 2.

The mid level exception and vet minimum is going to rise significantly in the next CBA. So players stand to earn more by becoming free agents more often. Even if they only got the mid level after those 2 years they would still be ahead, money wise.

If a player chooses to sign elsewhere but the Lakers tried, how can we be upset? Is anyone upset that they tried to at least sign Bazemore? Nope, he was a realistic target. People are upset when they chase players like Durant and then let other realistic targets go to other teams while they wait for an answer from the stars.

What is upsetting is wasting cap space, which they are doing, signing players to deals that are too long, which they are doing. The Lakers could have signed Isiah Thomas for $6 million, they could have resigned Bazemore and Davis for $7/10 million, but instead here we are spending $34 million on inferior players.


kerby720
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 2124
votes: 12

Tempy wrote:
The player has a choice to make. I'm presuming both these deals are a team option on the 4th year.

That means Mozgov is $48m over 3 and Deng $54 over 3. If the Lakers offered $20m a year that would mean they get $40m over 2.

The mid level exception and vet minimum is going to rise significantly in the next CBA. So players stand to earn more by becoming free agents more often. Even if they only got the mid level after those 2 years they would still be ahead, money wise.

If a player chooses to sign elsewhere but the Lakers tried, how can we be upset? Is anyone upset that they tried to at least sign Bazemore? Nope, he was a realistic target. People are upset when they chase players like Durant and then let other realistic targets go to other teams while they wait for an answer from the stars.

What is upsetting is wasting cap space, which they are doing, signing players to deals that are too long, which they are doing. The Lakers could have signed Isiah Thomas for $6 million, they could have resigned Bazemore and Davis for $7/10 million, but instead here we are spending $34 million on inferior players.

I agree with you, but you're looking at things through the prism of the past couple of years' salary cap.

Mozgov's $16 million under the $95 million cap would have been $11.8 million under the $70 million last year. Deng's $18 million under this year's cap would have been $13.3 million last year. They're overpaid, but not drastically like some believe. The guys we got can at least play. Hell, Jon Lueur just got 4 years/$41 million and E-Twaun Moore just got 4 years/$34 million. NBA players in general have been overpaid this year, but it's a product of the last CBA that the NBA and players' union agreed upon. It is what it is. Just be glad we got guys that can produce and help mentor our kids, rather than the 1-year WTF deals we've done the past two years.


OCLakerfan8
Laker GM
 Avatar
Posts: 2896
votes: 20

kerby720 wrote:
Signing them for 2 years is all fine and dandy, but if others are offering them 4 year deals, then what do you want the Lakers to do? Deng especially had lots of teams trying to lure him over. Obviously, I can't know for sure, but what if we only offered them, and others, two year deals and no one signs with us. Then once all the decent FAs have already signed on with other teams, we just sign the leftovers to 1 year deals, ala the past couple of years.

What would you guys be saying then?

To piggy back on this the lakers have to start getting some consistency with their roster. That is the only way we can build team cohesion and actually improve. Getting a bunch of players on one year contracts wouldn't do anything to help us.

They may have been overpaid and are not sexy names but Mozgov and Deng is pretty much what the Lakers needed at the moment and I do believe they are improvements over what we had last year.

Mozgov actually has solid Per 36 numbers and Deng has been extraordinarily consistent through out his career.

Aside from the money offered this is what many LTBers wanted. Maybe not exactly the most popular names that have been thrown around here but Deng and Mozgov fills a need, do compliment the kids well, and can help without stunting their growth.


Tempy
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12792
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif
votes: 51

kerby720 wrote:
I agree with you, but you're looking at things through the prism of the past couple of years' salary cap.

Mozgov's $16 million under the $95 million cap would have been $11.8 million under the $70 million last year. Deng's $18 million under this year's cap would have been $13.3 million last year. They're overpaid, but not drastically like some believe. The guys we got can at least play. Hell, Jon Lueur just got 4 years/$41 million and E-Twaun Moore just got 4 years/$34 million. NBA players in general have been overpaid this year, but it's a product of the last CBA that the NBA and players' union agreed upon. It is what it is. Just be glad we got guys that can produce and help mentor our kids, rather than the 1-year WTF deals we've done the past two years.

Mozgov went from $5 million a year, through his prime years at that, to $16 million after a horrendous season with the cavs. That is vastly over paying.

Deng went from $10 to $18 after 2 pretty poor seasons in Miami, again through his prime. He is 31 years old and like Mozgov is not going to get any better, only worse.

So IMO, they are drastically over paid.


TERRY-TEAGLE
Laker GM
Posts: 3664
Location: Belmont Shores,CA
votes: 41

Tempy wrote:
Mozgov went from $5 million a year, through his prime years at that, to $16 million after a horrendous season with the cavs. That is vastly over paying.

Deng went from $10 to $18 after 2 pretty poor seasons in Miami, again through his prime. He is 31 years old and like Mozgov is not going to get any better, only worse.

So IMO, they are drastically over paid.

Agree, Wtf are these guys doing ?

Is this real life

Thy almost double Dangs pay and he's declining ... Smh


kerby720
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 2124
votes: 12

OCLakerfan8 wrote:
To piggy back on this the lakers have to start getting some consistency with their roster. That is the only way we can build team cohesion and actually improve. Getting a bunch of players on one year contracts wouldn't do anything to help us.

They may have been overpaid and are not sexy names but Mozgov and Deng is pretty much what the Lakers needed at the moment and I do believe they are improvements over what we had last year.

Mozgov actually has solid Per 36 numbers and Deng has been extraordinarily consistent through out his career.

Aside from the money offered this is what many LTBers wanted. Maybe not exactly the most popular names that have been thrown around here but Deng and Mozgov fills a need, do compliment the kids well, and can help without stunting their growth.

Yeah there are some on here that aren't happy about the signings and that's fair. Some people believe that unless we can get a marquee FA, we shouldn't even bother. The thing is, without getting guys like these, how are the kids going to develop? If they don't develop well, how are the marquee FA going to get interested?

I like the signings. I know this is a long process and I have a good feeling about the team moving forward.


showtimelakers11
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1964

us.gif
votes: 3

TERRY-TEAGLE wrote:
Agree, Wtf are these guys doing ?

Is this real life

Thy almost double Dangs pay and he's declining ... Smh

Cap Increase + Lakers aren't in winning situation = having to overpay for most FAs.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14311
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

Tempy wrote:
Mozgov went from $5 million a year, through his prime years at that, to $16 million after a horrendous season with the cavs. That is vastly over paying.

Deng went from $10 to $18 after 2 pretty poor seasons in Miami, again through his prime. He is 31 years old and like Mozgov is not going to get any better, only worse.

So IMO, they are drastically over paid.

Yeah, but it's the new salary level, Mosgov would probably have gotten 10 to 11 mil from Lakers under old cap. Look how far Biyombo went up.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RealGM/statu ... 1417618433


MAGICLAKEZ
LNS HOF Gold
 Avatar
Posts: 16627
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif
votes: 70
Were Garnet and Prince signed for 4 year contracts? A 7ft Russian who struggles to express or articulate himself in English is now the motivational leader giving motivational speeches in Russian and providing vereran leadership. From where? The Bench? If that's the case why pay $64 for 4yrs. I guarantee you Sacre could have done the same (and much better) for $2m. I think you are misinterpreting those who are opposed to the signings. Spending the money is not the issue....by all means splurge. But on whom and for how long...that is the concern. These phakers are not even conducting any friggin due diligence before signing these players. They are just grabbing anyone who falls their way. Another fact folks out here who are thumping their chests at these acquisitions, fail to realize is that Deng remains more injured than healthy during the NBA season. We have signed two 30 year old veterans into 4 year deals wherein both have health concerns and durability issues. If you need vereran presence or leadership, you could have had hibbert and joe Johnson for two years for baby sitting the toddlers. Unfortunately it seems the fanbase and some members out here have not learnt from the past mistakes of this front office and insist on buying the garbage they have been selling. How can this franchise overlook guys like: Biyombo/Augustine/afflalo and Evans?? Biyombo and Evans got paid 4/$72. So you see it's not the money issue. It's who you pay it too and both those gents are in their ealry twenties and we could have still had enough Cap space to sign a couple of veterans on vet min deals to provide veteran leadership. Do you have to offer 4 yr contracts to do that? This franchise could even land middle/third tier....


userpete1037
LNS HOF Platinum
Posts: 20018
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif
votes: 18

kkennon1 wrote:
Yeah, but it's the new salary level, Mosgov would probably have gotten 10 to 11 mil from Lakers under old cap. Look how far Biyombo went up.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RealGM/statu ... 1417618433

I'll repeat what I just stated on the FA thread, we couldn't have gotten Biyombo for this price instead of Mozgov?


Skyeword
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 7525
Location: Atlanta
us.gif
votes: 68

Deng is a poor man's Lamar Odom and had his heyday in the NBA already. He had his moments last year in Miami and will shore up the Laker's second team but the Lakers have a glut of power forwards so why are they bringing in more PF's on 4 year contracts? Ryan Anderson at the 3-4 makes so much more sense given that Ryan Kelly has flopped. We already have Randle and Nance and quite likely Black, who will not be the center next year, so yet another PF? The lack of clarity and sensible thinking continues. I get the feeling that the F.O> has too much money to spend and this is a reflection of what spoiled brat do. They just buy too much itshay.


MAGICLAKEZ
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16627
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif
votes: 70

userpete1037 wrote:
I'll repeat what I just stated on the FA thread, we couldn't have gotten Biyombo for this price instead of Mozgov?

Exactly. That dude is just 23 for crying out loud and fits right in with these guys who are in the 20-22 age range. I would have even paid 75-80(or even more) to Biyombo/ 4 years. We could have easily had Biyombo/Augustine and Afflalo or turner and I would say we had a pretty decent fa.

Mosgov and Deng are on the decline and would be in their mid thirties four years from now.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14311
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 23

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
Garnet and Prince were signed for 4 year contracts? A 7ft Russian who struggles to express or articulate himself in English is now the motivational leader providing vereran leadership. From where? The Bench? If that's the case why pay $64 for 4yrs. I guarantee you Sacre could have done the same (and much better) for $2m.

I think you are misinterpreting those who are opposed to the signings. Spending the money is not the issue....by all means splurge. But on whom and for how long...that is the concern. Another fact folks out here who are thumping their chests at these acquisitions, fail to realize is that Deng remains more injured than healthy during the NBA season. We have signed two 30 year old veterans into 4 year deals wherein both have health conerns and durability issues. If you need vereran presence or leader you could have had hibbert and joe Johnson for two years for baby sitting the toddlers.

Unfortunately it seems the fanbase and some members out here have not learnt from the past mistakes of this front office and insist on buying the garbage they have been selling. How can this franchise overlook guys and Biyombo/Augustine/afflalo and Evans?? Biyombo and Evans got paid 4/$72.

So you see it's not the money issue. It's who you pay it too and both those gents are in their ealry twenties and you could have still had enough Cap scales to sign a couple of veterans on vet min deals to provide veteran leadership. Do you have to offer 4 yr contracts to do that? This franchise could even land middle/third tier talent like Biyombo/Batum//Augustine/Turner/Afflalo/Barnes and host of others.

PS: this is not really directed to you but to all those doing the lambada on these deals.

Yeah, but it goes both ways. Players you listed have to want to come here. How do we know Lakers didn't call Biyombo and others, and were turned down.


Options Quick Reply: RE: Lakers Sign Luol Deng (4 Years, 72 Mil)
register
You are an anonymous user- or .
Quote the last message
Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)
Notify me when a reply is posted
Don't Check Spelling
Note: Twitter & Youtube BBCODE Tags are no longer necessary. The system will automatically convert links to tweets & youtube videos.
   
 
Go To the Top of the ThreadGo Home
Post new topic   Reply to topic
register
You are an anonymous user- Register now or Log in Now!


Add our Los Angeles Lakers Blog RSS Feed, the Lakers Rumors RSS Feed, the Lakers News RSS feed, and the Lakers Forum RSS feed to get the latest Laker News and Rumors and Lakers Game info in your RSS/XML reader!