Who Should the Lakers Hire As Head Coach?

Lakers Forum » Lakers General Discussions
Author Search This Topic:
 
Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12908
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif
 
This thread is for ideas on who could/should be hired for the Lakers head coach position. Followed up with links to articles/columns on why they should be in the running. If someone posts something about JVG or Luke Walton (for example), don't be going off on a tangent arguing he is not who the Lakers should be going after. That is not the purpose of this thread. The idea is to have a thread full of information about all the different candidates that may or may not be out there. Ultimately who ever is hired is not going to please everyone. But at....

Ray
votes: 25
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1686
Location: Ray

My pick would be Luke Walton. I am fully aware that what he did with GSW during Kerr absent was not about his skill level. That team would of been amazing with any coach that took that spot. GSW are a well oiled machine and don't need some amazing coach at this point.

With being said, the NBA has turned into the GSW style of play and will be that way at least for the next 5 years. So our next coach should understand the new NBA. I believe Luke has a good of chance as any coach to understand the offensive flow that GSW plays with. While we won't be as good, since we don't have Curry. But a better offensive will help us on Defense.

I also would prefer a young coach to grow with our team, not a coach that has more of an agenda from previous years of experience.

I like Ettore Messina as well and would be good with that choice.

tmike23
votes: 6
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 732
Location: Atlanta

I think it's important that the next coach we have understands the way in which the league is now. With analytics and great personnel helping these players develop properly, I think the front office should really take a long hard long at how the candidate is going to build this program from the ground up. It's pretty clear to me that there's zero foundation there and no real tools for success. This thing can turn around quickly if the front office is ready to make all the necessary changes they need to make in order to be successful. You're going to have to spend some money Jim. Don't be cheap when it comes to building a contender.

AChad92
votes: 13
Laker GM
Posts: 4777

I feel since their big moneymaker is gone (Kobe) they'll now be willing to spend more to make more. With that being said, they need to go in-depth, they need to go 100% in each coaching interview they have. Make sure they know modern style NBA that succeeds, make sure they have a working defensive system, make sure they know each players strengths and put them in positions to achieve. Give them multiple different scenarios and ask how they'd react. We need guys who will get along with our FO, but also gets along with his team.

Sure, I'm not expecting playoffs year one, but I want to see big improvements. I want to see a working offense and I want to see the players motivated on defense. Realistically, my ideal number of wins is at least 35. I'm cool with that. Anything more I'll be very impressed.

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12908
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

Anyone with espn insider care to post the content of the 5 on 5: who should be the Lakers next coach?

renteria24
votes: 9
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1306

us.gif

I, personally, want to see a coach on this team who has a reputation for developing talent. I hope the Lakers organization knows that we are no where near a title contender; so they can grab a coach who is here for the long haul. Tired of running through coaches in hopes of trying to make the playoffs. The playoffs are not a realistic goal right now and I hope the FO knows that. so I hope we grab a coach with a 4-5 year contract that knows our team is a project and is willing to develop the players. I do not have a specific coach in mind that I like but I just hope whoever it is, they know how to work with young players.

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14357
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
Kevin Ollie 'intrigued' by Lakers coaching job, source says By: Mark Medina ([email protected]) Monday, April 25, 2016 - 10:51 a.m. Kevin Ollie, who starred at Crenshaw High, won a national title with UConn in 2014. (Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images) Count Connecticut coach Kevin Ollie as one of the many presumed candidates who would be interested in coaching the Lakers. Although he has remained happy coaching the Huskies for the past four years, Ollie finds the Lakers' head-coaching vacancy intriguing, according to a source familiar with his thinking. Though it would be viewed as a common courtesy, the Lakers would not need to seek permission from the Huskies....

LALA-LandShow24
votes: 2
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 571

I really am liking Jay Wright. He impressed me with what he did with the Villanova team. They had no "Star(s)" per say and they played very well together. And their defense was really good. I want to see a coach like that. All these NBA players have talent and can find a way to score, but we need to have a good defensive scheme.

Jay wright (or who ever was the mastermind of the Villanova defense) needs to be on the Lakers next staff either as head coach (Wright) or as the head assistant coach.

But I like that Wright seems to know how to get his players to work together and trust each other.

userpete1037
votes: 18
LNS HOF Platinum
Posts: 20318
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif

Don't need to rush but I say K.O. then Wright. Again, no need to rush. Lets see what happens this summer in FA.

tmike23
votes: 6
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 732
Location: Atlanta

Some of the early articles out there seem to report that the Lakers are looking more towards the college coaching ranks to fill up their head coaching position. Not a bad approach by management...

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16785
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

Kevin Ollie/Messina/Walton in that order. Kevin Ollie actually went to high school in Crenshaw Los Angeles.

Any one out those three I wouldn't mind rolling with. I hope the front office short lists a few candidates and does not go out shopping with a huge grocery list as reported earlier. Big lists usually indicate a confused state of mind and cluelessness as to which direction you want the franchise to head in the future.

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16785
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12908
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

Analyzing Top Potential Options As Next Lakers Head Coach;

Quote:
That faint sound of fireworks you heard on Sunday night was not an early 4th of July celebration, but rather Los Angeles Lakers fans celebrating the news of the team not picking up the option on head coach Byron Scott.

The Lakers are expected to have a long list of candidates for their opening, and there are some excellent options available, so lets take a look at the top options available.

David Blatt, John Calipari, Mark Jackson, Ettore Messina, Kevin Ollie, Jeff Van Gundy, and Luke Walton.

http://www.lakersnation.com/analyzing-t ... 016/04/25/

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12908
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

Quote:
Who's in the discussion to be named the next coach of the Lakers? Which candidate would fit best in Los Angeles?

Watch as Adam Lefkoe and Bleacher Report NBA Analyst Greg Anthony discuss in the video above.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/26 ... les-lakers

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12908
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

Quote:
The Lakers are now in the process of searching for a head coach in the wake of having fired Byron Scott on Sunday night.

Here are five intriguing names the Lakers may be interested in talking to over the next few days, weeks and months about their opening.

Walton, JVG, Hornacek, Messina, Ollie.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la ... story.html

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12908
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

https://mobile.twitter.com/Mike_Bresnah ... 6161803266

https://mobile.twitter.com/Mike_Bresnah ... 3711400960

userpete1037
votes: 18
LNS HOF Platinum
Posts: 20318
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif

As a diehard Kentucky fan I know Cal ain't going nowhere.......I THINK....lol.

kerby720
votes: 12
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 2124

Could this be Ollie? I'm just speculating, but it makes sense. Especially with not even a whisper being heard of Ollie's name being thrown around for any vacancies. It'd definitely be a Kupchak kind of thing to do ninja style.

From reports though, it seems like the FO is looking for someone on the upside of their career, not the downside. That is fantastic IMO. Sorry MJax, JVG, etc. I would absolutely love it if it were an up and coming assistant coach or college coach.

userpete1037
votes: 18
LNS HOF Platinum

Posts: 20318
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif

kerby720 wrote:

Could this be Ollie? I'm just speculating, but it makes sense. Especially with not even a whisper being heard of Ollie's name being thrown around for any vacancies. It'd definitely be a Kupchak kind of thing to do ninja style.

From reports though, it seems like the FO is looking for someone on the upside of their career, not the downside. That is fantastic IMO. Sorry MJax, JVG, etc. I would absolutely love it if it were an up and coming assistant coach or college coach.

Either him or Jay Wright IMO.

Ray
votes: 25
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1686
Location: Ray

It was Ettore Messina that the Lakers just got permission to speak with. Eric Pincus just retweeted it.

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12908
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

Ray wrote:
It was Ettore Messina that the Lakers just got permission to speak with. Eric Pincus just retweeted it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sam_amick/st ... 5784839168

For those that don't know, Messina was a consultant on the coaching staff when Mike Brown was in charge. Take that for what you will.

steven18
votes: 11
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1746

us.gif

Out of all the coaches that are available right now, i truly believe that Ettore Messina is the guy for this job. He has a tremendous reputation and he's widely regarded as one of the best coaches in the world today. He's been with the Spurs for two seasons now, and he understands the importance of developing players and having a free flowing offense that gets every player involved. With all the youth on this team we need a guy that can both develop players and run a offense that resonates with the way the game is being played today. I see that many people want a young coach like a Walton or Ollie, but to be completely honest i don't think either would be ideal fits with our current/potential roster. Both are unproven and both will take time to develop, the last thing we need now is another project, we need a coach that is experienced and can relate to both young guys and vets. I know many look at the Celtics and hope that we can replicate they're success with Stevens, but many forget or don't realize that a project with Walton or any other young coach can easily turn into a Fisher or Kidd situation. It's a huge gamble to go with a young coach, we need a guy with experience especially if we're planning on pursuing top FA's this summer or next summer. No quality FA is going to want to come to a team with a questionable roster and a questionable coach, they will at the very least want one to be proven. And while i do understand how Messina isn't as experienced as a Mark Jackson or JVG, he understands the way the game is played today. If you take a minute to hear him talk about his coaching philosophy (i'll post the video), you'd think he was Pop 2.0. I don't want an inexperienced or recycled coach, i want a guy that can develop players and can run a system that will capitalize on the strengths of every player on the team.

IhatetheCeltics
votes: 51
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8155

Messina isn't the direction they need to go in imo. They need a guy who is a teacher, who can reach these young guys and teach them how to play. I can't think of someone who is least suited for that than Messina. Not only is he an older guy, but he's a foreign guy who these guys probably never heard of. He's intelligent but very cerebral, they need someone who can relate to them on an emotional level. Or it doesn't have to be a young guy, but maybe an older college coach. Messina is a bad fit in my personal opinion.

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14357
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

steven18 wrote:
Out of all the coaches that are available right now, i truly believe that Ettore Messina is the guy for this job. He has a tremendous reputation and he's widely regarded as one of the best coaches in the world today. He's been with the Spurs for two seasons now, and he understands the importance of developing players and having a free flowing offense that gets every player involved. With all the youth on this team we need a guy that can both develop players and run a offense that resonates with the way the game is being played today. I see that many people want a young coach like a Walton or Ollie, but to be completely honest i don't think either would be ideal fits with our current/potential roster. Both are unproven and both will take time to develop, the last thing we need now is another project, we need a coach that is experienced and can relate to both young guys and vets.

Ollie has experience, he was an assistant in OKC when they went to championship and can relate to both young and old. And is respected by Durant and other players. Not against Messina, just think odds are against him since he was already here under Mike Brown.

steven18
votes: 11
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1746

us.gif

IhatetheCeltics wrote:
Messina isn't the direction they need to go in imo. They need a guy who is a teacher, who can reach these young guys and teach them how to play. I can't think of someone who is least suited for that than Messina. Not only is he an older guy, but he's a foreign guy who these guys probably never heard of. He's intelligent but very cerebral, they need someone who can relate to them on an emotional level. Or it doesn't have to be a young guy, but maybe an older college coach. Messina is a bad fit in my personal opinion.

I disagree, but i can see why you'd think that, the fact that he's had two seasons to coach under one of the most prestigious franchises in all sports is an indication of the level of respect he has amongst NBA coaches. The Spurs don't just bring any random coach into they're team, they get the absolute best of the best. Why do you think Spurs assistant coaches are becoming such a hot commodity now? Like i mentioned in my previous post, you can't just look at it as bringing a guy in just to develop young guys. We will bring in vets sooner or later, whether it be this summer or next, we're bound to get us some elite talent. At that point, a college coach won't be ideal regardless of their age. You need a guy that understands NBA basketball and knows how to coach both young guys and vets. I'f i knew that this young core and a potential top 3 pick were all we had the next couple of years, then i would lean towards a younger coach. But since there's no way of telling that. I refuse to believe that we will go into next season with a team compiled of 7-8 players with less than 4 years experience. I respect you're opinion but i don't think Messina would be a bad hire at all

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14357
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
This might have just taken Ollie out of the running. Kevin Ollie would want player personnel input as Lakers coach By Harrison Faigen  @hmfaigen on Apr 25, 2016, 6:53p + Jeffrey Becker-USA TODAY Sports Would the team give it to him?  TWEET SHARE (1) The Los Angeles Lakers elected to part ways with Byron Scott on Sunday night, and have already begun to compile a "long list" of potential replacements. The team's coaching search in expected to include veteran head coach Jeff Van Gundy and Golden State Warriors assistant Luke Walton, the latter of whom vice president of basketball operations Jim Buss is said....

IhatetheCeltics
votes: 51
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8155

^^^^I don't think that is a deal breaker, for the most part coaches are involved in personnel decisions, it just depends on how much. If they agree to give him a seat at the table in these closed door discussions, I think that should be enough. If he asks for like a VP role, then that definitely is a deal breaker. But I don't think he has enough credibility to ask for that.

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12908
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

kkennon1 wrote:
This might have just taken Ollie out of the running.

Kevin Ollie would want player personnel input as Lakers coach

Would the team give it to him?

The Los Angeles Lakers elected to part ways with Byron Scott on Sunday night, and have already begun to compile a "long list" of potential replacements.

The team's coaching search in expected to include veteran head coach Jeff Van Gundy and Golden State Warriors assistant Luke Walton, the latter of whom vice president of basketball operations Jim Buss is said to be "partial" to. The Lakers have also already asked for and received permission to interview San Antonio Spurs assistant coach Ettore Messina.

Another name the team has reported interest in is former NBA guard and current University of Connecticut men's basketball head coach, Kevin Ollie. The 13-year NBA veteran has coached the Huskies to a record of 97-44 during his time at UConn, and is reportedly interested in the Lakers head coaching job. Ollie would want some level of input in the Lakers front office before agreeing to come aboard:

"He's gotta be involved in player personnel decisions," the source said. "Mitch Kupchak has to be willing to involve him in player personnel. He has to have a say-so in that."

It seems unlikely the Lakers would offer Ollie a level of control they were unwilling to cede to now Minnesota Timberwolves head coach and president Tom Thibodeau, so this could be a deal-breaker in regards to Ollie's candidacy. With Mitch Kupchak and Jim Buss already making the decisions in the Lakers front office, whether or not Ollie is steadfast in his desire to have input in personnel will certainly affect his candidacy as the Lakers coaching search continues.

Having input and having control are two completely different things. Of course you would want the HC to have input. That way the GM can bring in players that fit within the system. For instance, Mitch, I don't need Young. He doesn't fit in my plans. Could we see if we could get a 3 and D in return?

That makes too much sense though lol.

lakerdudeinindy
votes: 15
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1429

IhatetheCeltics wrote:
Messina isn't the direction they need to go in imo. They need a guy who is a teacher, who can reach these young guys and teach them how to play. I can't think of someone who is least suited for that than Messina. Not only is he an older guy, but he's a foreign guy who these guys probably never heard of. He's intelligent but very cerebral, they need someone who can relate to them on an emotional level. Or it doesn't have to be a young guy, but maybe an older college coach. Messina is a bad fit in my personal opinion.

Messina is a teacher and a great coach. The guy came over here with a great resume and then became a consultant with LA and then two years after that became an assistant to learn more about the way the NBA is. I think he can relate to our young core and provide a winning culture. More than anything these young guys need that culture and Messina can bring that. He fits well in my opinion and he has been around the NBA long enough to see how to deal with this team.

lakerdudeinindy
votes: 15
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1429

kkennon1 wrote:
Ollie has experience, he was an assistant in OKC when they went to championship and can relate to both young and old. And is respected by Durant and other players. Not against Messina, just think odds are against him since he was already here under Mike Brown.

Yeah, he was here with Brown but I think he left before Brown got fired. He was just a consultant to Brown and left to go back to Moscow.

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16785
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

I think Kevin Ollie asking for some player input is not asking for too much and definitely like others have mentioned, not a deal breaker. After all if you recall bozo had a hand in our #2 pick. Lol

kerby720
votes: 12
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 2124

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
I think Kevin Ollie asking for some player input is not asking for too much and definitely like others have mentioned, not a deal breaker. After all if you recall bozo had a hand in our #2 pick. Lol

Yeah I wouldn't have a problem with him having input. I don't think he's asking for a FO job per se. For example, if he says that he wants us to sign Durant, I think I would gladly oblige. He would have to help with the heavy lifting though.

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16785
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

lakerdudeinindy wrote:
Yeah, he was here with Brown but I think he left before Brown got fired. He was just a consultant to Brown and left to go back to Moscow.

Man if you think about it, Brown had assembled quite an impressive roster...coaching roster that is..lol.

Clifford (HC Charlotte) Snyder(HC Jazz) Messina(consultant basis..now an asst under Pops) and Bernie Bickerstaff. Oh I forgot they had John Hamm as well. However the mamba had all those gents neutralized in a hurry...hahaha.

gemfow
votes: 181
LNS HOF Silver

Posts: 12402
Location: Maryland
us.gif

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
Kevin Ollie/Messina/Walton in that order. Kevin Ollie actually went to high school in Crenshaw Los Angeles.

Any one out those three I wouldn't mind rolling with. I hope the front office short lists a few candidates and does not go out shopping with a huge grocery list as reported earlier. Big lists usually indicate a confused state of mind and cluelessness as to which direction you want the franchise to head in the future.

My concern with Luke Walton is his ties to Phil Jackson. If the Lakers did hire Luke and Jeannie stupidly hires Phil to run things then Phil would want Luke to run the triangle. Getting a Guy like Messina who believe in a free flowing offense very much like Pop would be good, even if Phil is hired he couldn't possibly try to push a guy like Messina around to run the triangle because Messina doesn't know it and he has his own philosophy.

lakerdudeinindy
votes: 15
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1429

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
Man if you think about it, Brown had assembled quite an impressive roster...coaching roster that is..lol.

Clifford (HC Charlotte) Snyder(HC Jazz) Messina(consultant basis..now an asst under Pops) and Bernie Bickerstaff. Oh I forgot they had John Hamm as well. However the mamba had all those gents neutralized in a hurry...hahaha.

Man, good call on that MAGICLAKEZ. We had future HC's on the roster and we got stuck with Brown, D'Antoni and Scott.

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16785
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

gemfow wrote:
My concern with Luke Walton is his ties to Phil Jackson. If the Lakers did hire Luke and Jeannie stupidly hires Phil to run things then Phil would want Luke to run the triangle. Getting a Guy like Messina who believe in a free flowing offense very much like Pop would be good, even if Phil is hired he couldn't possibly try to push a guy like Messina around to run the triangle because Messina doesn't know it and he has his own philosophy.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Walton's hire expedites Phil's return to LA. This is what concerns me as well. Messina is considered an offensive guru in the Euro circuit and we could compliment him with some defensive minded seasoned assistants. Someone like Monty Williams would be an awesome assistant under him. Speaking of Monty I wonder why his name is not being thrown around. What he did in New Orelans was quite commendable and Antony Davis benefited a lot when he was the HC.

TERRY-TEAGLE
votes: 41
Laker GM
Posts: 3664
Location: Belmont Shores,CA

Olie

Then the Euro dude

Olie can relate to the vets and the young kids ... They would respect him IMO

Euro dude would be good for a veteran team IMO

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14357
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Walton's hire expedites Phil's return to LA. This is what concerns me as well. Messina is considered an offensive guru in the Euro circuit and we could compliment him with some defensive minded seasoned assistants. Someone like Monty Williams would be an awesome assistant under him. Speaking of Monty I wonder why his name is not being thrown around. What he did in New Orelans was quite commendable and Antony Davis benefited a lot when he was the HC.
According to Chris Broussard of ESPN, there are even those around the league....

lakerdudeinindy
votes: 15
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1429

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Walton's hire expedites Phil's return to LA. This is what concerns me as well. Messina is considered an offensive guru in the Euro circuit and we could compliment him with some defensive minded seasoned assistants. Someone like Monty Williams would be an awesome assistant under him. Speaking of Monty I wonder why his name is not being thrown around. What he did in New Orelans was quite commendable and Antony Davis benefited a lot when he was the HC.

With his wife's death he is still in limbo. Think he and his kids are still coping and may need more time. He surprised everyone by coming back for one of the playoff games for the Thunder, but has left the team for good it sounds like. I actually had him on the list for being the Lakers coach, but with that tragedy happening....there is no telling.

userpete1037
votes: 18
LNS HOF Platinum

Posts: 20318
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif

kkennon1 wrote:
According to Chris Broussard of ESPN, there are even those around the league who believe that Walton taking over the Lakers following Golden State's playoff run is a done deal (transcription of Broussard's comments on Thompson and Trudell via Lakers Outsiders): "I talked to several people last night who said, '[Los Angeles] must know they can get Luke Walton. They must have something in place with Luke Walton.'" 3 hours ago � via Silverscreenandroll.com

Here comes the triangle...lol.

AChad92
votes: 13
Laker GM
Posts: 4777

Luke declined NY because he didn't want to run the triangle. I doubt he'll sign with us knowing Phil returns. Phil just needs to stay away and go watch some hardwood classics, because this triangle don't work no more. It especially won't work with the roster we have. Phil saying how you don't need a great point guard to succeed. He's deluded. Please Jeanie don't bring him back.

LALA-LandShow24
votes: 2
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 571

What ever coach we get they need to be a great defensive mind or have a great defensive mind along side them. The Lakers have lacked defense for a long time now. They need to defend and have a system that all players will buy into.

Ettore is considered a Offensive Genius. Is there a comparable defensive genius he could be paired up with?

Ray
votes: 25
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1686
Location: Ray

JVG has been contacted about the coaching job.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-rumo ... 016/04/26/

A great offense is a key to a good defense, do you guys think its by accident that the 2 best shooting teams (Spurs and GSW) are near the top on Defense as well? Making shots gives you time to set up a defense and limits the fast breaks. Also typically it goes in hand with less turnovers.

magic42157
votes: 7
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 644

I would love Ollie, but don't think he will leave CT. I am from CT and UCONN basketball is huge (both Men's and Woman's). It is THE sport in that state. Also, he has a top ten recruiting class coming in.

Don't want Jay Wright. Yes, he won the title but lets not overreact. He had one good tournament. Most of the time his teams have underwhelmed.

I do like a younger coach to grow with this team.

magic42157
votes: 7
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 644
Ray wrote:
JVG has been contacted about the coaching job. http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-rumors-team-has-contacted-former-ro ckets-coach-jeff-van-gundy/2016/04/26/ A great offense is a key to a good defense, do you guys think its by accident that the 2 best shooting teams (Spurs and GSW) are near the top on Defense as well? Making shots gives you time to set up a defense and limits the fast breaks. Also typically it goes in hand with less turnovers.
The Spurs are great on defense because Danny Green and Kawai are beast on the D end. Golden State is great because they have so many guys that can switch on every....

Ray
votes: 25
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1686
Location: Ray

magic42157 wrote:
The Spurs are great on defense because Danny Green and Kawai are beast on the D end. Golden State is great because they have so many guys that can switch on every pick and roll. PHX had a great offense under Mike D and sucked on offense. I am not saying you are wrong, I am just saying it is not necessarily a 1 to 1 correlation.

This came to my mind as well as soon as a posted what I said. I guess I meant, having a good offense would be a big first step towards getting better on D. While it's not a guarantee, a good offense is typically one of the ingredients needed to form an overall great defense.

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16785
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif
Ray wrote:
JVG has been contacted about the coaching job. http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-rumors-team-has-contacted-former-ro ckets-coach-jeff-van-gundy/2016/04/26/ A great offense is a key to a good defense, do you guys think its by accident that the 2 best shooting teams (Spurs and GSW) are near the top on Defense as well? Making shots gives you time to set up a defense and limits the fast breaks. Also typically it goes in hand with less turnovers.
I think you meant it the other way around. JVG was never know for his offensive proficiency. He earned his stripes on the defensive end of the floor. He is a taskmaster when....

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12908
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

magic42157 wrote:
I would love Ollie, but don't think he will leave CT. I am from CT and UCONN basketball is huge (both Men's and Woman's). It is THE sport in that state. Also, he has a top ten recruiting class coming in.

Don't want Jay Wright. Yes, he won the title but lets not overreact. He had one good tournament. Most of the time his teams have underwhelmed.

I do like a younger coach to grow with this team.

I've lived in CT, UConn may be huge but it's nothing to the markets of NY or LA. Ollie is a LA native and if they offered the job to him, I have no doubt in my mind he leaves.

userpete1037
votes: 18
LNS HOF Platinum
Posts: 20318
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif

Just heard Bill Plaschke on Stephen A. Smith radio show and he's convinced PJ is coming back. I couldn't do nothing but laugh. Everything's all over the place. Can't wait to see what LA is going to do going forward.

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12908
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

Ray wrote:
This came to my mind as well as soon as a posted what I said. I guess I meant, having a good offense would be a big first step towards getting better on D. While it's not a guarantee, a good offense is typically one of the ingredients needed to form an overall great defense.

Well having a good defense can relate to good transition buckets, which is essentially free points, the best offense there is. Teams definitely need a healthy mix of both.


Options Quick Reply: RE: Who Should the Lakers Hire As Head Coach?
register
You are an anonymous user- or .
Quote the last message
Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)
Notify me when a reply is posted
Don't Check Spelling
Note: Twitter & Youtube BBCODE Tags are no longer necessary. The system will automatically convert links to tweets & youtube videos.
   


   
   
register
You are an anonymous user- Register now or Log in Now!