What Phil Jackson gave the Lakers and what he ripped away.

Lakers Forum » Lakers Blogs
Author Search This Topic:
 
SPQR
votes: 291
LNS HOF Bronze

Posts: 9286
Location: Pennsylvania


Repped High Quality Post
  

Phil Jackson. His name says it all. The ultimate winning coach in the NBA. He won six rings with the Bulls and was rewarded by being run off in spite of the fact that team may well have won more if he and they had been allowed to stay together.

With our Lakers, he won three in a row, left, then came back to help us get two more. We owe everything to Phil with no complaints, right? Nothing bad to be said, no regrets. It was all good with him and he did nothing but help this franchise.

Or did he?

The Lakers powerful edifice of success was long supported by two powerful columns that seemed indestructible. The brilliant owner, Jim Buss and his right hand, the wise, clever GM Jerry West. It was on these two pillars that Showtime ruled the league with an iron fast break and a new great era was ready to dawn with the acquisition of Shaq and Kobe. We just needed that last push to get us over the top. As long as these two remained guiding this team, you knew the Lakers would carry the standard of excellence through the years and decades. It was an immutable law.

We all remember the time and circumstances when Phil Jackson, the savior, finally came to LA. We had the two studs, Kobe and Shaq, a pretty good team around them but no titles to show for it. Del Harris was not considered top shelf and frustrating losses to the Stockton Malone Jazz in the playoffs were trying Lakers fans souls.

I remember my exact two thoughts when the long awaited and pined for event took place. My first feeling was elation. I knew, just totally knew, titles were now going to flow. I suspect almost the entirety of the Lakers nation felt that way. The media sure did. We were crowned the champs right then and there.

But I had another smaller thought in the back of my mind. How would Jerry West and Phil get along. That may have been a strange thought to have, but not for me. It's how I'm wired to think. When ever two power players get together in any endeavor it's just a question that naturally comes to my mind.

And these were not just two power players. They were way above that. They were long ago anointed genius's and legends. West for his careers as a player and GM and Jackson for his coaching acumen and six titles.

One thing about people who are anointed the double title of genius and legend, they almost always develop huge egos. I don't bust on Phil or West for that, it's just human nature. It is hard to resist when you are put on those pedestals by so many adoring people.

When Phil took us to the title in his first year, it seemed like everything was perfect in Lakerland. We had the best owner in sports, the best GM in the league, the two best players in the game and ton of titles to win.

And then the bomb dropped. Jerry West, the guy who lived by the title Mr. Laker suddenly said he had enough and was leaving the organization. Right when the fruits of his years of labor were starting to pay off in the biggest dividends of all.

That would be akin to President Obama winning reelection then rising on election night to say, he was stepping down.

West gave some vague reasons for leaving. He was tired. He accomplished what he wanted. It was time Mitch took over. I never bought it. There was no way in my mind that West, a man who bled Laker colors would just turn his back away from what he had worked so hard to build when it was ready to run over the league. The first thing that ran through my mind was it was a Phil thing.

Years later, when West wrote his book and gave interviews, it transpired it was indeed a Phil thing.

And in looking at what happened, one has to examine the two men, West and Phil. Phil had had trouble with his GM in Chicago, Jerry Kraus. They fought like cats and dogs about every player move. In the end, it was Kraus who precipitated Jackson's departure and the break up a championship team. This had to have a strong effect on Jackson. How could it not?

West was notoriously known to be high strung and sensitive. Too high strung and sensitive. He couldn't even watch big Lakers games he was strung so tight. West also reveled in his title as Mr. Laker and his relationship with Buss.

I think when Phil took that job he had another agenda along with winning. It was to get the one guy who could challenge him for control out of the way. I don't think he wanted to have to sell his ideas on players and the team to anyone again, after the Kraus fiasco. I think he wanted dictatorship.

Phil as we all know is a very perceptive man. He also is a past master at manipulating people and events to suit his needs. Phil knew Jerry's personality. In West, Phil had the perfect foil with the perfect weaknesses to psychologically pull apart at the seams. Phil at this time was an ego machine running on pure ambition, convinced he knew better than anyone else, who was loathed to take advice from anyone. That was said by his long time friend and coaching assistant Tex Winter.

In West's book and interviews he came clean. He talked about the many perceived slights and digs Phil would subtly send his way. This started right away and continued all season. The breaking point for West was a day he was in the locker room with Phil and the players. Phil turned to him, in front of the team and ordered him out.

For West this was too much. For Mr. Laker, it was untenable to be treated that way by the first year coach. I suspect West hoped that Dr. Buss would upbraid Phil for that move. When it didn't happen, he decided to leave.

Phil defended himself by saying he only wanted coaches and players in that meeting. That defense seems hollow. What harm would having West there incur? If Phil felt that way, couldn't he have talked to West in private, telling him he wanted a meeting with players only? Wouldn't a very smart man like Phil know that ordering West out in front of everyone do to West?

I think Phil knew exactly what ordering West out would do. Just the reaction Phil had been pushing for all season.

For Phil, the gain was obvious. With West gone, he no longer had to run his ideas past Mr. Laker and hope for approval. Was Mitch Kupchak going to argue or deny him anything he asked for? No way. Not with his resume on top of the shiny new Lakers ring.

The day West left, Phil assumed de facto control. No more West to worry about, no more struggles like with Kraus. When Phil ordered West out of the locker he knew exactly what he was doing. And he knew West's personality so well it was never even a fair fight. It was decided the moment Phil came to LA.

If West wasn't built like he was, if he had a thicker skin, was less emotional, had more fight in him, less pride, he could have held on. But he didn't and couldn't.

For Buss, fans and the media, the loss of West didn't seem like the end of the world. After all, we had Phil and Shaq and Kobe. And we had Kupchak, the young West who learned for years at the masters knee. Everything was great.

But there was a problem with that equation. Kupchak was no West. Some arts you can learn from a master. Take accounting for example. It has this set, written laws and rules. If a young accountant with a good memory and strong work ethic learns from a master, he can become the master.

But in positions like coaching, or being a GM, it doesn't work. There are no written set of rules for these jobs. These jobs require vision, logic, abstract thinking, intuitiveness. You have to understand teams, players, chemistry, talent, reality. You have to be able to see down the road and around the many curves. You can't teach that. It is something intrinsic in a persons mind and makeup. You have it or you don't. West had it in spades, Kupchak never did.

There are many examples of this. As the NFL Patriots won titles and Bill Bellichik became football legend, there was a hot run on his assistants. The thinking was clear: They learned from Bill, so them must know how to do it. The list of his assistants who didn't "learn' from the master and have been fired is long: Romeo Crennell, Eric Mangini, Charlie Weis, Jim Schwartz, Josh Daniel.

With that season long baiting of West and that final humiliation, Phil succeeded in knocking out one of the two columns that supported this franchise. When we were winning title with Shaq and Kobe and later with Kobe and Pau, it seemed inconsequential.

But now though the prism of hindsight and the very clear vision of the last half decade right up to today's worst ever team, that moment comes together with frightening consequence.

Does anyone here think West, even at on his worst day would have led the Lakers down the primrose path Mitch did? Does anyone think West would have been so blind after the OKC and Dallas playoff losses to do what Mitch did? Not go to the desperately needed rebuild mode, but blindly waste years of moves and trading away picks for the ill fated win one with Kobe strategy?

Only if West was senile, and even today, as a consultant to the one time and soon to repeat champions Warriors, he seems very, very lucid, far more than his heir apparent who helped run this team six feet into the dirt.

If West had stayed, if Phil hadn't executed and carried out that vicious power play, would we be where we are?

Yes, we have lots to thank Phil for. Five rings. They are not easy to get. He gave us a lot. But man, he took too. He took something so valuable that it still is killing us 16 long years later.

There are a couple questions to ask:

Was there a coach out there who could have won those rings with Kobe and Shaq and Kobe and Pau? A coach who did not want or need to poison West out of his chair? I suspect so. Somewhere. Another question of importance is, would the Lakers have found him?

And lastly, the biggest one.

Looking back on what was, what might have been, where we are today on the heels of the loss of West, Buss and Mitch's decisions, was it all worth losing West over?

Was the horrible price Phil needed to exact worth it?

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12901
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

Why do you conveniently leave out the mess he left the grizzlies in? West was good with the Lakers and by association with the Warriors but he is not running the show.

When an opportunity presents itself to win a championship you take it. If an opportunity presents 5 you do it no questions asked.

Are the Lakers in a bad place right now? Sure. But PJ is not to blame for it.

SPQR
votes: 291
LNS HOF Bronze

Posts: 9286
Location: Pennsylvania

Tempy,

West, like all mortal men has failed. PJ is most certainly to blame for West's departure. Or at least a West who was not mentally or emotionally equipped to deal with the ambition and manipulations Jackson worked on him. And I don't think he had to go to those extremes to be a successful coach here. But he wanted all the glory and all the power. It was not his finest hour and I think the ramification of his ambition are still be felt in a very painful way with this team.

I would say this, given a choice of West or Kupchak, it's a no brainer for me. Mitch is one of the worst GM's I have ever seen in any and all sports. West doesn't qualify in the regard even in the wildest imagination.

How much different would we be now if West wasn't chased off by Phil? That we will never know. But I doubt the debacle of the last half decade would have reached the point where after years of horrific decisions and bad years, we are coming off the worst year in Lakers history. But maybe I'm wrong about that.

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14357
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

Tempy wrote:
Why do you conveniently leave out the mess he left the grizzlies in? West was good with the Lakers and by association with the Warriors but he is not running the show.

When an opportunity presents itself to win a championship you take it. If an opportunity presents 5 you do it no questions asked.

Are the Lakers in a bad place right now? Sure. But PJ is not to blame for it.

I disagree, everything I've read has said West is a big part of Warriors and what they done in the draft, to where he said last year that he'd step down if they went through with K. Love trade.

userpete1037
votes: 18
LNS HOF Platinum
Posts: 20299
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif

Depending on what you read or who you believe, PJ may be on his way back...lol.

OCLakerfan8
votes: 20
Laker GM
Posts: 2896

userpete1037 wrote:
Depending on what you read or who you believe, PJ may be on his way back...lol.

Ugh. That would be such a bad mistake. But I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen. I always thought Phil was overrated. I know he has the Jewelry to back him up but he always had the benefit of coaching stacked teams. I have also thought Tex Winter was the mastermind behind those championships and Phil was a kind of figure head. What has Phil achieved since Tex's death? I really hope Phil Jackson does not come back to the Lakers.

SPQR
votes: 291
LNS HOF Bronze

Posts: 9286
Location: Pennsylvania

Pete, OC Laker:

I too dread venal old Phil dragging his carcass back here with his massive salary demands. His time is past.

The problem is the half owner of this team's solution to our problems is to install her lover as the king of the Castle.

It's like something out of a bad eighties soap opera. But sadly for us, it's 2016 reality. At least in her screwy mind.

userpete1037
votes: 18
LNS HOF Platinum
Posts: 20299
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif

^^^

LMAO!!!!!....Yep she sure loves her some PJ.

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12901
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

SPQR wrote:
Tempy,

West, like all mortal men has failed. PJ is most certainly to blame for West's departure. Or at least a West who was not mentally or emotionally equipped to deal with the ambition and manipulations Jackson worked on him. And I don't think he had to go to those extremes to be a successful coach here. But he wanted all the glory and all the power. It was not his finest hour and I think the ramification of his ambition are still be felt in a very painful way with this team.

I would say this, given a choice of West or Kupchak, it's a no brainer for me. Mitch is one of the worst GM's I have ever seen in any and all sports. West doesn't qualify in the regard even in the wildest imagination.

How much different would we be now if West wasn't chased off by Phil? That we will never know. But I doubt the debacle of the last half decade would have reached the point where after years of horrific decisions and bad years, we are coming off the worst year in Lakers history. But maybe I'm wrong about that.

I'm not defending PJ I was one of the few that was glad he didn't come back, although D'Antoni wasn't a good choice either.

As I said, West was clearly a great GM for the Lakers, Kupchack is not even in the same league. But given the choice of a guaranteed 5 championships or the choice of West being here and rolling the dice, you go with the championships.

The past few years have been terrible for a multitude of reasons. Just what would have been done different is anyone's guess but IMO you can't look back and grumble at 5 championships, especially when your chief rival, the spurs, who have been the model of consistency have won the same amount themselves.

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12901
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

kkennon1 wrote:
I disagree, everything I've read has said West is a big part of Warriors and what they done in the draft, to where he said last year that he'd step down if they went through with K. Love trade.

Maybe he is a big part, but he certainly doesn't hold the title of GM. Yes he said not to trade for love but he wasn't the only voice saying not to.

JJCali
votes: 22
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8544

us.gif

Tempy wrote:
Why do you conveniently leave out the mess he left the grizzlies in? West was good with the Lakers and by association with the Warriors but he is not running the show.

When an opportunity presents itself to win a championship you take it. If an opportunity presents 5 you do it no questions asked.

Are the Lakers in a bad place right now? Sure. But PJ is not to blame for it.

Hey, great post!

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12901
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

JJCali wrote:
Hey, great post!

Thank you

JJCali
votes: 22
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8544

us.gif

Tempy wrote:
I'm not defending PJ I was one of the few that was glad he didn't come back, although D'Antoni wasn't a good choice either.

As I said, West was clearly a great GM for the Lakers, Kupchack is not even in the same league. But given the choice of a guaranteed 5 championships or the choice of West being here and rolling the dice, you go with the championships.

The past few years have been terrible for a multitude of reasons. Just what would have been done different is anyone's guess but IMO you can't look back and grumble at 5 championships, especially when your chief rival, the spurs, who have been the model of consistency have won the same amount themselves.

Another great post. The ultimate goal is to win a championship! 5 is just amazing! We are truly spoiled and that's a great thing. We weren't winning titles without Phil, so I'm glad he came. Not sure about how much he ran West off, but either way he was worth it.

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14357
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
Tempy wrote:
Maybe he is a big part, but he certainly doesn't hold the title of GM. Yes he said not to trade for love but he wasn't the only voice saying not to.
These are his 18th Finals. He's made nine trips as a player and eight as a GM, all with the Lakers. This time, he is an executive board member for Golden State. It's a position he's held since the spring of 2011, when Warriors primary owner Joe Lacob lured him out of semi-retirement with the promise of a partial ownership stake and the chance to help rebuild....

userpete1037
votes: 18
LNS HOF Platinum
Posts: 20299
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif

^^^

So basically West is a BAAAAADDDDD MANNNNNN!!!!!!....lol.

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12901
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif
kkennon1 wrote:
These are his 18th Finals. He's made nine trips as a player and eight as a GM, all with the Lakers. This time, he is an executive board member for Golden State. It's a position he's held since the spring of 2011, when Warriors primary owner Joe Lacob lured him out of semi-retirement with the promise of a partial ownership stake and the chance to help rebuild a tattered franchise. In the years since, West has played an important, often behind-the-scenes role in the team's ascension. He's been a mentor, counselor and, often, the loudest voice in the room on....

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14357
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

Tempy wrote:
I didn't disagree with your previous comment. Yes he has a voice, just like Jim Buss does. Yes he was great with the Lakers and yes he is doing now but you can't just pretend he did nothing with the grizzlies. That's just ignorance.

Oh, I'm not saying he did a good job with Grizzlies, but I will say, it was a different league than, and harder to build a team in a small market like Memphis. Not like now where money is pretty much the same everywhere. But agree, Grizzlies weren't some of his best work!! I'd just like to have him back on Lakers, give him Jimbo's job.

But I'm not blaming PJ for anything either, he got us 5 chips and got us there 7 times.

LALA-LandShow24
votes: 2
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 571
We have a "West" in house who i think would do a much better Job as GM than Mitch. He may not be as highly touted as his father, but Ryan, I believe has some of the same ability to look at talent and recognize those that may end up being better than others think. Since Ryan took over helping Mitch with the Draft, we have drafted Clarkson, Nance, Brown. All players who I believe were steals and have the potential to be great players with the right coach giving them the opportunity. Randle and Russell where more of a result of draft position we had, but without Ryan, would Mitch have drafted them? Possibly but I lean towards Mitch drafting Porzingis before Russell and probably Noah Vonleh before Randle. As for trades, I don't think he could do any worse than Mitch. I think Ryan would have probably traded Dwight when he should have been traded and not just let him walk. At this point I'm glad we did not sign Aldridge but his pitch would have probably been better than Mitch and Jim's and the Lakers at the very least would have had a better shot. This of course is all my speculation and opinions. But I also believe that some of the intuition, thought process, and ability to see what others can't is something that can/is passed down in the genes. Not always and not necessarily to the same level, But I think Ryan has what his dad has in him and he has been learning to hone it and sharpen his skills. And to be honest, at the very least he has the link to crosscheck his gut feelings/ intuition or thoughts he may be having by calling up dear ole dad. lol. I am grateful for the....

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12901
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

LALA-LandShow24 wrote:

As for trades, I don't think he could do any worse than Mitch. I think Ryan would have probably traded Dwight when he should have been traded and not just let him walk. At this point I'm glad we did not sign Aldridge but his pitch would have probably been better than Mitch and Jim's and the Lakers at the very least would have had a better shot

I'm not Mitch's biggest fan but he did see what was on offer for D12. The same as all rental players coming up in free agency, nothing much.

BaadMaster
votes: 98
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8626

Always glad to read SPQR's posts.

And always glad to disagree with him!

I think the REAL turning point -- the point of no return -- might have been the hiring of Mike D'Antoni instead of Phil. And though I am hazy on the chronology, I think it was during the D'Antoni reign that the four draft picks were shipped to the Suns for an over-the-hill Steve "Retire Already" Nash..

OR -- maybe the real turning point was when Jim Buss replaced his father. Ultimately, that move doomed the franchise for a decade or more.

You might say you have to make a ton of bad moves to go from First to Worst.

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14357
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

BaadMaster wrote:
Always glad to read SPQR's posts.

And always glad to disagree with him!

I think the REAL turning point -- the point of no return -- might have been the hiring of Mike D'Antoni instead of Phil. And though I am hazy on the chronology, I think it was during the D'Antoni reign that the four draft picks were shipped to the Suns for an over-the-hill Steve "Retire Already" Nash..

OR -- maybe the real turning point was when Jim Buss replaced his father. Ultimately, that move doomed the franchise for a decade or more.

You might say you have to make a ton of bad moves to go from First to Worst.

Baadmaster think you're right to a point, I remember when that trade went down how local sports radio here in Phoenix was laughing at the Lakers for giving up so much, when they were already talking about how Nash was physical done before the season was over that year. Funny how Lakers FO didn't know that too. Also didn't think it helped when Howard left, as far as the Lakers image , Although I'm glad he did .

userpete1037
votes: 18
LNS HOF Platinum

Posts: 20299
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif

kkennon1 wrote:
Baadmaster think you're right to a point, I remember when that trade went down how local sports radio here in Phoenix was laughing at the Lakers for giving up so much, when they were already talking about how Nash was physical done before the season was over that year. Funny how Lakers FO didn't know that too. Also didn't think it helped when Howard left, as far as the Lakers image , Although I'm glad he did .

Dumbest trade ever.....Nash that is.

WilttheStilt
votes: 0
Casual Laker Fan
Posts: 50

LALA-LandShow24 wrote:
We have a "West" in house who i think would do a much better Job as GM than Mitch. He may not be as highly touted as his father, but Ryan, I believe has some of the same ability to look at talent and recognize those that may end up being better than others think.

I am grateful for the 5 rings Phil helped the Lakers get. I wish him and west would have worked better together as I think this Franchise would be unstoppable still to this day, But alas, Phil is gone (not a bad thing at this point in time), Jerry is gone (could have helped this franchise more), and now Mitch (more than Jim, I think) needs to be gone.

Ryan should be GM

Jim should probably remain in charge of Basketball over Jeanie. Unless Jeanie can bring in some one other than Phil to be President. But I don't think Jim would just move over quietly. And hopefully Ryan would be allowed to build a better scouting department.

THere's my rant for today. Thanks. Hahaha.

Interesting. What you say is probably true. It is hard for us fans to figure out who to put blame on - Phil, Mitch, Jim or Jeannie? It could be that none of these people are much good. What made the Lakers great is the genius of Jerry West and Jerry Buss. We need to find another genius out there. Ryan is least likely to blame and it seems that he should have more responsibility.

userpete1037
votes: 18
LNS HOF Platinum

Posts: 20299
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif

WilttheStilt wrote:
Interesting. What you say is probably true. It is hard for us fans to figure out who to put blame on - Phil, Mitch, Jim or Jeannie? It could be that none of these people are much good. What made the Lakers great is the genius of Jerry West and Jerry Buss. We need to find another genius out there. Ryan is least likely to blame and it seems that he should have more responsibility.

Ah hell go get Danny Ferry....lol!!!!

WilttheStilt
votes: 0
Casual Laker Fan
Posts: 50

userpete1037 wrote:
Ah hell go get Danny Ferry....lol!!!!

LOL, but I wonder if Ferry might be good, controversy aside. Who knows.

lakerdudeinindy
votes: 15
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1429

WilttheStilt wrote:
LOL, but I wonder if Ferry might be good, controversy aside. Who knows.

I think Ferry would be a good GM here....I just think he made a dumb mistake and it's done and over with, so I would definitely consider bringing him in. I would keep Ryan West.....I think he does have a knack for seeing talent and does not draft redundant players.

userpete1037
votes: 18
LNS HOF Platinum
Posts: 20299
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif

^^^

I think the controversy will keep him out of the NBA but if given a 2nd chance, he would do real good. We definitely need it.

JJCali
votes: 22
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8544

us.gif

BaadMaster wrote:
Always glad to read SPQR's posts.

And always glad to disagree with him!

I think the REAL turning point -- the point of no return -- might have been the hiring of Mike D'Antoni instead of Phil. And though I am hazy on the chronology, I think it was during the D'Antoni reign that the four draft picks were shipped to the Suns for an over-the-hill Steve "Retire Already" Nash..

OR -- maybe the real turning point was when Jim Buss replaced his father. Ultimately, that move doomed the franchise for a decade or more.

You might say you have to make a ton of bad moves to go from First to Worst.

Wrong about the Nash trade, but yOu couldn't be more accurate with the real turning point. Even if Phil couldn't have won a championship with that team (which was built perfectly for him) the path that the Lakers would be on would be totally different in every way. We wouldn't have been viewed differently around the league. We may not have run Kobe into the ground the same way. We wouldn't have been the losers that we are now. That was the worst coaching M job of all time and the worst decision Dr. Buss ever made.

JJCali
votes: 22
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8544

us.gif

kkennon1 wrote:
Baadmaster think you're right to a point, I remember when that trade went down how local sports radio here in Phoenix was laughing at the Lakers for giving up so much, when they were already talking about how Nash was physical done before the season was over that year. Funny how Lakers FO didn't know that too. Also didn't think it helped when Howard left, as far as the Lakers image , Although I'm glad he did .

I remember the local radios in LA talking about it as a free agent signing, like they didn't give up anything for him.

JJCali
votes: 22
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8544

us.gif

WilttheStilt wrote:
Interesting. What you say is probably true. It is hard for us fans to figure out who to put blame on - Phil, Mitch, Jim or Jeannie? It could be that none of these people are much good. What made the Lakers great is the genius of Jerry West and Jerry Buss. We need to find another genius out there. Ryan is least likely to blame and it seems that he should have more responsibility.

Phil? All he did was win titles for us. Definitely not placing blame on him. I don't understand how Buss was such a genius? All he does as owner is pick the GM. although apparently it was his call to hire D'Antoni over Phil which was the worst decision the franchise ever made.

WilttheStilt
votes: 0
Casual Laker Fan
Posts: 50

JJCali wrote:
Phil? All he did was win titles for us. Definitely not placing blame on him. I don't understand how Buss was such a genius? All he does as owner is pick the GM. although apparently it was his call to hire D'Antoni over Phil which was the worst decision the franchise ever made.

Phil was no doubt a great coach, but I think he was referring to Phil as having a GM role. Who knows how much GM role he might have had, and if he took much part in the Nash deal.

Jerry Buss wasn't perfect, but when he bought the team in 1979, he got Magic, won a championship his first year as owner and made a dynasty. Later, he created another dynasty in the Kobe era. How many owners have created 2 sets of dynasties? I think that when you look at the whole, he was genius.

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14357
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

JJCali wrote:
I remember the local radios in LA talking about it as a free agent signing, like they didn't give up anything for him.

Yeah, at the time, they probably thought that it would be 2 late 1st round draft picks that wouldn't matter that much.

SPQR
votes: 291
LNS HOF Bronze

Posts: 9286
Location: Pennsylvania

Read an article yesterday that Phil wants out of NY and back in LA. The fans and media are already sick of his triangle and Fisher and Rambis and who can blame them especially when you factor in Phil's 12 million a year contract at a 4 million a year position?

And if idiot Jeanie Buss has her way, we will getting her viagra mummy back here at its exorbitant salary. We also won't be getting any good young coaches or any good assistant coaches to take over from Scott, but most likely Kurt Rambis to be Phil's triangle puppet. This is the end game that Jeanie and Phil always had in mind from the moment he started bedding her. You know, the King and Queen of the Lakers. With West and Dr. Buss gone, they are as close now to getting that as they ever could have hoped, even with Phil being temporarily chased out of LA by Jim Buss.

This team and FO is really having a problem in that keeps trying to go back to the past to win again: Kobe, Scott, now Phil if Jeanie has her way.

They really need to divorced themselves from the past completely and all the relics that go with it: Kobe, Scott, Mitch, Phil.. etc and start looking down the road, not try walk back up it, in order to get with the year 2016 and beyond.

It's too bad we can't divorce ourselves from what remains of the Buss family: Jeanie and Jim. That would be the first, best move.

JJCali
votes: 22
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8544

us.gif

WilttheStilt wrote:
Phil was no doubt a great coach, but I think he was referring to Phil as having a GM role. Who knows how much GM role he might have had, and if he took much part in the Nash deal.

Jerry Buss wasn't perfect, but when he bought the team in 1979, he got Magic, won a championship his first year as owner and made a dynasty. Later, he created another dynasty in the Kobe era. How many owners have created 2 sets of dynasties? I think that when you look at the whole, he was genius.

Phil had nothing to do with the Lakers during the Nash trade. And again, Buss was the owner, not the GM. He didn't create those dynasties.

JJCali
votes: 22
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8544

us.gif

kkennon1 wrote:
Yeah, at the time, they probably thought that it would be 2 late 1st round draft picks that wouldn't matter that much.

Exactly.

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16784
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

Delete. Went thread.


Options Quick Reply: RE: What Phil Jackson gave the Lakers and what he ripped away.
register
You are an anonymous user- or .
Quote the last message
Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)
Notify me when a reply is posted
Don't Check Spelling
Note: Twitter & Youtube BBCODE Tags are no longer necessary. The system will automatically convert links to tweets & youtube videos.
   


   
   
register
You are an anonymous user- Register now or Log in Now!