Lakers Dodged a Dwight Howard-sized Bullet

Lakers News Surge Forum/Message Board » Lakers News
Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Search This Topic:
 
gemfow
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12402
Location: Maryland
us.gif
votes: 181
  

Quote:
Remember all the posters? Remember the closed-door meetings? How about the months of back-and-forths fans went through trying to decipher which way Dwight Howard was leaning? And after all that, he spurned the Los Angeles Lakers and their extra millions for the greener pasture the Houston Rockets had to offer.

Now, he's struggling to stay healthy and would be in year two of a nine-figure contract. So the question begs asking: Are the Lakers better off sans Superman? Here's an even more fun question: Did they know they might be all along?

Something felt weird to me during that whole campaign to convince Howard to remain a Laker. The purple and gold royalty never begged players. They stayed out of social media for the most part (which remains true; their Twitter feed is the most boring in the NBA), let history speak for itself and made their case through private meetings featuring trophies and opportunities that come with Los Angeles.

#StayDwight felt forced. That's just not the Laker way.

Rest of article:

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2015/02/0 ... ed-bullet/

I never wanted Dwight in LA, main reason is because he had no post game but also he didn't want to be here either. I'm not sure what's up with LA's management or training staff but they seem to bypass player's back issues. Howard was coming off a back injury which will surely cause bilateral injuries, Nash's back issues have been known for years but they felt he was worth the risk at four picks, two of them being first rounders. That to me coupled with Howard and Pau leaving without any compensation are fire able offenses to me.


Luke...
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1987

us.gif
votes: 12

Howard is far from perfect that's for sure.

But he is a great player, yes he has his faults, yes he can't do everything, but then maybe that's the problem... People wanted him to be the next Wilt Chamberlan or to be as bright a star as Kobe... maybe it's his own fault, maybe not, but he isn't either of those things, but he is a great basketball player. And I wouldn't have minded if he stayed a Laker... He wouldn't have been the best player on the team but he would have been good to have on the team.

With hindsight's knowledge, it would have been better had they not traded for a 1-year rental at all...

being that he said he didn't want to be a Laker, and was willing to give up the money to still go be second fiddle to a different ball dominant 2 guard lol.


steven18
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1746

us.gif
votes: 11

Ughhh let it go


Odaca
Serious Laker Fan
Posts: 263
Location: Dominican Republic
votes: 1

I'd wished we'd dodged a Dwight Howard-sized Bullet trading him when we could, and getting something in return.


Tempy
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12758
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif
votes: 50
Can we stop with this we got nothing in return crap for D12 and Pau. Rumors for D12 sign and trade possibilities were with the Warriors and Rockets. Lets start with the Warriors. "The Warriors are "aggressively attempting to trade away players" to clear space, but they would need to shed roughly $30 million in obligations to do so. Trading Andrew Bogut ($14 million), Richard Jefferson ($11 million) and Andris Biedrins ($9 million) would do the trick, but that's not an easy task. The ESPN report also suggests that the Lakers would be willing to consider a sign-and-trade deal if either Klay Thompson or....


TheSHOEMAKER
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1055
votes: 4

Because it's been brought up, it's easy to sit here now and say the Lakers should have traded him tot he Warriors for Thompson and Bogut. Thompson is having a great year and it only 25 years old. It's easy to ask now, why would the Warriors give up that much for Thompson? I believe the the Lakers could have gotten Thompson but from what I remember they wanted Thompson and Barnes and if they couldn't get them both they really felt like they had a chance to keep Dwight.

It's in the past now and should probably stay there. If you look hard enough the Lakers could have a bright future. Randle should come back healthy next year. We should be adding another top 5 pick (hopefully), and the Lakers will have tons of cap space the next couple of years.


Gmoney818
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 2240
votes: 3

Dwight Howard's a soft a** bii**h!!


gemfow
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12402
Location: Maryland
us.gif
votes: 181

TheSHOEMAKER wrote:
Because it's been brought up, it's easy to sit here now and say the Lakers should have traded him tot he Warriors for Thompson and Bogut. Thompson is having a great year and it only 25 years old. It's easy to ask now, why would the Warriors give up that much for Thompson? I believe the the Lakers could have gotten Thompson but from what I remember they wanted Thompson and Barnes and if they couldn't get them both they really felt like they had a chance to keep Dwight.

It's in the past now and should probably stay there. If you look hard enough the Lakers could have a bright future. Randle should come back healthy next year. We should be adding another top 5 pick (hopefully), and the Lakers will have tons of cap space the next couple of years.

I also noticed that the Lakers would ask for a lot for either Gasol or Howard and IMO I feel they were asking for too much for guys who didn't have much left on their contracts. Other management teams weren't willing to offer much for Howard if he was going to be a one year rental, this is where our management team's arrogance showed. They just felt he'd re-sign once he was in LA.

LA's stance for Gasol and Howard was they wanted the on and stars for either one and teams weren't offering that. I don't agree in totally taking a lowball offer but some of the deals I read about in the past weren't too bad IMO.


gemfow
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12402
Location: Maryland
us.gif
votes: 181

Luke... wrote:
Howard is far from perfect that's for sure.

But he is a great player, yes he has his faults, yes he can't do everything, but then maybe that's the problem... People wanted him to be the next Wilt Chamberlan or to be as bright a star as Kobe... maybe it's his own fault, maybe not, but he isn't either of those things, but he is a great basketball player. And I wouldn't have minded if he stayed a Laker... He wouldn't have been the best player on the team but he would have been good to have on the team.

With hindsight's knowledge, it would have been better had they not traded for a 1-year rental at all...

being that he said he didn't want to be a Laker, and was willing to give up the money to still go be second fiddle to a different ball dominant 2 guard lol.

I consider Howard a good player but not to the tune of 5 years and 119 million. I just never considered him a max player and that's why I'm glad we dodged that bullet.


Luke...
Die-Hard Laker Fan
 Avatar
Posts: 1987

us.gif
votes: 12

TheSHOEMAKER wrote:
Because it's been brought up, it's easy to sit here now and say the Lakers should have traded him tot he Warriors for Thompson and Bogut. Thompson is having a great year and it only 25 years old. It's easy to ask now, why would the Warriors give up that much for Thompson? I believe the the Lakers could have gotten Thompson but from what I remember they wanted Thompson and Barnes and if they couldn't get them both they really felt like they had a chance to keep Dwight.

It's in the past now and should probably stay there. If you look hard enough the Lakers could have a bright future. Randle should come back healthy next year. We should be adding another top 5 pick (hopefully), and the Lakers will have tons of cap space the next couple of years.

Yes^

I am looking forward to next years roster. With Kobe back, our top 5 pick, Randle back, Clarkson with some experience, hopefully Davis signed up, Hill back and signed up or traded off for someone else beneficial (or draftee), a good mid-level FA, maybe an upper-level FA (or a second mid-level FA), and back in the playoff picture... even if only in the battle for the 8th playoff seed.


Luke...
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1987

us.gif
votes: 12

gemfow wrote:
I consider Howard a good player but not to the tune of 5 years and 119 million. I just never considered him a max player and that's why I'm glad we dodged that bullet.

ahhh, well if it is the money issue. well yeah, I would agree he would have been overpaid. But he wouldn't be the first player to get overpaid... it seems all the players are either over paid or under paid lol


userpete1037
LNS HOF Gold
 Avatar
Posts: 19936
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif
votes: 18

steven18 wrote:
Ughhh let it go

I know that's right....lol!!!


Options Quick Reply: RE: Lakers Dodged a Dwight Howard-sized Bullet
register
You are an anonymous user- or .
Quote the last message
Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)
Notify me when a reply is posted
Don't Check Spelling
Note: Twitter & Youtube BBCODE Tags are no longer necessary. The system will automatically convert links to tweets & youtube videos.
   
 
Go To the Top of the ThreadGo Home
Post new topic   Reply to topic
register
You are an anonymous user- Register now or Log in Now!


Add our Los Angeles Lakers Blog RSS Feed, the Lakers Rumors RSS Feed, the Lakers News RSS feed, and the Lakers Forum RSS feed to get the latest Laker News and Rumors and Lakers Game info in your RSS/XML reader!