Lakers Waive Kendall Marshall, Bring Back Xavier Henry

Lakers Forum » Lakers News
Poll
Do you like these 2 moves?
Yes
73%
 73%  [17]
No due to risk of losing Marshall
26%
 26%  [6]
Total Votes : 23

Author Search This Topic:
 
RustyRay
votes: 16
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1954
   

Darius Soriano ‏@forumbluegold 1m

RT @WojYahooNBA Lakers waiving guard Kendall Marshall, but have interest in bringing him back on a new deal if he clears waivers

Laker Nation ‏@LakerNation 1m

The Lakers and Xavier Henry have agreed on a one year deal for the veteran minimum (H/T @mcten )

RustyRay
votes: 16
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1954

Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten 1m

Henry also fielded some interest from MIA and IND, but preferred to stay in LA and build on what he established last season

steven18
votes: 11
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1746

us.gif

I have to say this roster is beginning to look very impressive, considering this news our roster is the following:

Lin/Clarkson/Nash

Kobe/Henry

Young

Boozer/Randle

Hill/Davis/Sacre

All we need is a SF, I would go after Evan Turner or Shawn Marion both quality starting SF's after that i would resign Ryan Kelly and go after a Center, Bynum or Okafor after that our roster is pretty much set.

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12890
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

Marshall was never going to get much game time after signing Lin.

TheInfamous55
votes: 12
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1488

NOmeka NOkafor...

fluke32
votes: 4
Serious Laker Fan
Posts: 495

One more wing player is the most likely next signing. If not through Free Agency, LAL might move Kelly in a s&t for one.

TERRY-TEAGLE
votes: 41
Laker GM
Posts: 3664
Location: Belmont Shores,CA

Smart move

RustyRay
votes: 16
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1954

I would have liked to see Henry get more then a year. Maybe its a one year deal to see if he can stay healthy.

Lakers_4_Lyfe_BayBay
votes: 40
LNS HOF Bronze

Posts: 5322

us.gif

Was hoping Henry got more than a year long deal, but regardless, happy to have him back.

lepcitylakers
votes: 2
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 819

He better clear waivers. Or will be losing a young promising point guard because of stupid boozer.

steven18
votes: 11
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1746

us.gif

lepcitylakers wrote:
He better clear waivers. Or will be losing a young promising point guard because of stupid boozer.

Let me ask you this, who would you rather develop Marshall or Clarkson? If we brought back Kendall that is what it would come down to. I rather develop Clarkson who has much more upside than the one way player, Marshall.

Title#15
votes: 0
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 508

Can someone explain the strategy of waiving a player slated to make only $915K and then trying to re-sign him? I don't get it. Sounds like $915K is the perfect type of salary to have when staying flexible financially.

TERRY-TEAGLE
votes: 41
Laker GM
Posts: 3664
Location: Belmont Shores,CA

steven18 wrote:
Let me ask you this, who would you rather develop Marshall or Clarkson? If we brought back Kendall that is what it would come down to. I rather develop Clarkson who has much more upside than the one way player, Marshall.

Yep... Plus, I'd rather keep Kane then Marshall... Kane had some "dog" in him ... Keep him and put him on the d league squad

steven18
votes: 11
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1746

us.gif

Title#15 wrote:
Can someone explain the strategy of waiving a player slated to make only $915K and then trying to re-sign him? I don't get it. Sounds like $915K is the perfect type of salary to have when staying flexible financially.

They had to waive him in order to sign Nick Young, that is the only reason behind it (that has been reported)

TheSHOEMAKER
votes: 4
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1055

I don't fully understand waiving Marshall for a few reasons. One being that it's pretty much assumed we'll only see Nash play a handful of games this season meaning we're then left with 2 point guards. Another reason I don't agree with waiving Marshall is that Clarkson in the summer league has looked more of a SG. His scoring mentality reminds me a bit of Monta Ellis. While Ellis could play point he faired much better as a two guard. I think Clarkson could be molded into a true point guard but that usually takes time.

gastank
votes: 28
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1825

Title#15 wrote:
Can someone explain the strategy of waiving a player slated to make only $915K and then trying to re-sign him? I don't get it. Sounds like $915K is the perfect type of salary to have when staying flexible financially.

Most likely he was waived to make room for Boozer's bid once the Lakers were awarded the claim.

rekala
votes: 0
NewsSurge Newbie
Posts: 11

Aminu over turner we don't need another guy that needs the ball to be effective. we need another scraper aside from hill yea Aminu will not give you tons of points but will give you tons of rebound he's a good defender as well turner is more of sg

DeezBrown
votes: 2
Serious Laker Fan
Posts: 466

us.gif

Henry was a baller before he got hurt. Needs to work on his shooting though... if that improves he can start at the sf.

TheInfamous55
votes: 12
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1488

Well that was a good move.

Purpcity24s
votes: 3
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1205

Mix feelings about this Im happy we resigned Henry but Marshall was improving as a player he avg 9pg 8ast last season...

Jlaker85
votes: 3
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 671

Great Move now lets get Aminu or Turner

Luke...
votes: 12
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1987

us.gif

ok we can all agree that we'd be happy if they pick up Aminu.

if he takes multiple years just give him a cheaper deal with a player or team option or whatever gets it done.

Abaloz
votes: 11
Laker GM
Posts: 4151
Location: Granada Hills, CA
us.gif

Purpcity24s wrote:
Mix feelings about this I'm happy we resigned Henry but Marshall was improving as a player he avg 9pg 8ast last season...
yea. Was improving for D'Toni...

DeezBrown
votes: 2
Serious Laker Fan
Posts: 466

us.gif

Purpcity24s wrote:
Mix feelings about this I'm happy we resigned Henry but Marshall was improving as a player he avg 9pg 8ast last season...

Don't be fooled by the numbers, he had a good run but he's not the answer at the point guard or backup imho. He played so much last year that his numbers had to go up.

userpete1037
votes: 18
LNS HOF Platinum
Posts: 20264
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif

The writing was on the wall for Marshall to be released. Clarkson just came in ballin. It's the name of the business.

MAP1
votes: 1
Serious Laker Fan
Posts: 319

No offense to you all that liked Marshall's game, but it REALLY stunk!!!

He was a poor mans - 40 year old Nash!

Good Move!

Title#15
votes: 0
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 508

gastank wrote:
Most likely he was waived to make room for Boozer's bid once the Lakers were awarded the claim.

I'm wondering how he can be re-signed then, if his space has been eaten up by Boozer's deal. I guess he takes the minimum, who knows.

gastank
votes: 28
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1825

Title#15 wrote:
I'm wondering how he can be re-signed then, if his space has been eaten up by Boozer's deal. I guess he takes the minimum, who knows.

That's exactly it. Lakers can sign all the non-minimum players first to maximize their use of the cap space (+ room exception) then fill out the rest of the roster with minimum players once the cap space has been exhausted.

LakerTruth
votes: 2
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 596

We predicted this move and its a good move...

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12890
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

lepcitylakers wrote:
He better clear waivers. Or will be losing a young promising point guard because of stupid boozer.

go read how his summer league game is doing

Apollon
votes: 14
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 783
Location: San Diego, CA

userpete1037 wrote:
The writing was on the wall for Marshall to be released. Clarkson just came in ballin. It's the name of the business.

Clarkson is score-first mentality guard, and he also needs the ball a lot to be effective. With Kobe Bean on this team - Marshall's game is suited for this team a lot more. I really don't understand FO's reasons for preserving that cap space for next year at all costs. They chose to keep 41 year old and expensive mummy on the roster, who most likely won't be able to play anyway and they waive young, cheap and promising point guard?....Why not stretch Nash? What do you need $30 mil of cap space next summer for? Are they planning on signing 2 star players next summer? Because last I checked - there is only a handful of them will be on the market next summer, most RFAs, offers for whom will be matched by their teams anyway and the other couple of UFAs are a very long shot because a) they are on a good team (ie Portland) and have no reason to come to Lakers and b) no star player will come here as long as 37 year old, $25 mil mister big shot is around to call Lakers his team and tell every other player about the packing order...

I'm willing to bet Marshall will be claimed off waivers and Lakers won't see him again. It was stupid to let him go and it was stupid to pass on Lance Stephenson and give J. Hill the same kind of money Stephenson took

userpete1037
votes: 18
LNS HOF Platinum

Posts: 20264
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif

Apollon wrote:
Clarkson is score-first mentality guard, and he also needs the ball a lot to be effective. With Kobe Bean on this team - Marshall's game is suited for this team a lot more. I really don't understand FO's reasons for preserving that cap space for next year at all costs. They chose to keep 41 year old and expensive mummy on the roster, who most likely won't be able to play anyway and they waive young, cheap and promising point guard?....Why not stretch Nash? What do you need $30 mil of cap space next summer for? Are they planning on signing 2 star players next summer? Because last I checked - there is only a handful of them will be on the market next summer, most RFAs, offers for whom will be matched by their teams anyway and the other couple of UFAs are a very long shot because a) they are on a good team (ie Portland) and have no reason to come to Lakers and b) no star player will come here as long as 37 year old, $25 mil mister big shot is around to call Lakers his team and tell every other player about the packing order...

I'm willing to bet Marshall will be claimed off waivers and Lakers won't see him again. It was stupid to let him go and it was stupid to pass on Lance Stephenson and give J. Hill the same kind of money Stephenson took

I doubt it but that's your own opinion dude.......

userpete1037
votes: 18
LNS HOF Platinum
Posts: 20264
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif

Tempy wrote:
go read how his summer league game is doing

Or watch it.....awful.

Apollon
votes: 14
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 783
Location: San Diego, CA

userpete1037 wrote:
I doubt it but that's your own opinion dude.......

Other that occasional twitter feeds with actual news, 95% of the stuff, posted here is just people's opinions - what's your point?....Your "doubt" is also your own opinion, and it's unclear from your comment which part of my post you doubt? I said several things...

xLAKERS1THISx
votes: 0
Casual Laker Fan
Posts: 97

rp.gif

lepcitylakers wrote:
He better clear waivers. Or will be losing a young promising point guard because of stupid boozer.

You have to watch the summer league. Yeah it's "just" the summer league but he got chosen to be on the summer league roster to prove he's more than just the hype last year, and he stunk really bad. His assists were nonexistent during the summer and his shot is still scary to look at even D'anphonie admitted during an interview that he was surprise to see Marshall's shots going in. Right now our team needs a point guard who can defend, reliable shot(score), and can pass. Sadly Marshall has 1 of the 3 traits which is passing. Don't mention last years stats cuz he only thrived because he had so many minutes because of all the injuries our team had to deal with at one point he almost played all 48 minutes and if I remember correctly they took him out of the d-league because farmer and Nash were injured at one point. Can't do anything about it now but to respect him for providing his services when we needed him.

userpete1037
votes: 18
LNS HOF Platinum

Posts: 20264
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif

Apollon wrote:
Other that occasional twitter feeds with actual news, 95% of the stuff, posted here is just people's opinions - what's your point?....Your "doubt" is also your own opinion, and it's unclear from your comment which part of my post you doubt? I said several things...

Dude I don't give a crap. You obviously are a fan of Marshall's so go be a fan of Marshall's. The End.

TheLegendaryDino
votes: 4
Laker GM
Posts: 4370

oh snap, I think another team most likely will claim him off waiver. Either way its good for the lakers.

OnTheBlocks247+1
votes: 3
Serious Laker Fan
Posts: 446

Good move good move..X should definitely have been a priority over Marshall. I love that Henry wanted to stay in LAL. The idea of X and Clarkson slashing to the rim is getting me excited. There are some nice young prospects on this team.

OCLakerfan8
votes: 20
Laker GM
Posts: 2896

I don't get some of you guys being all mad about losing Marshall. Kid wasn't that good. A lot of members on LTB seem to agree and the FO seems to agree. Why do you want to keep a one dimensional player -- even if it was for a cheap rate? Y'all be actin' like Marshall was an all star point guard or something. Keeping Henry was priority. This was a good move by the Lakers FO.

Skyeword
votes: 68
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 7527
Location: Atlanta
us.gif

Title#15 wrote:
Can someone explain the strategy of waiving a player slated to make only $915K and then trying to re-sign him? I don't get it. Sounds like $915K is the perfect type of salary to have when staying flexible financially.

Because In & Out has two burgers for the price of one specials on Fridays and this now affords them a full month of fast food indulgences! I am so glad I am not the only one who does not believe a word of this nonsense about bringing him back if he clears. I think it was a psychological move to scare or inspire him. What the FO and most Laker fans cannot see is that Marshall does not create his own shot, he creates shots for others by being one of the best passers in the NBA. He is the quintessential team player who actually needs a flow and an offense to perform well because of his inability to roll one on one. The Summer League is not a fair measure because he literally is the captain of offensive mayhem and has nobody to pass the ball to. When a great pass is made, this also involves the player moving without the ball to be equally aware and cunning which is one of Jodie Meeks exceptional talents. The Summer squad are mostly individuals who don't give one hoot about team ball. Both Clarkson and Randle are emphasizing that too!

solidlakerfan
votes: 4
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 2426

I like marshall. Too bad he just doesn't have any defense and offense. All he has is passing and he is really good at it

Skyeword
votes: 68
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 7527
Location: Atlanta
us.gif

TheSHOEMAKER wrote:
I don't fully understand waiving Marshall for a few reasons. One being that it's pretty much assumed we'll only see Nash play a handful of games this season meaning we're then left with 2 point guards. Another reason I don't agree with waiving Marshall is that Clarkson in the summer league has looked more of a SG. His scoring mentality reminds me a bit of Monta Ellis. While Ellis could play point he faired much better as a two guard. I think Clarkson could be molded into a true point guard but that usually takes time.

I agree except a player who prefers to score will not change. Look at Farmar for example. Clarkson is not a pass first PG. Summer League stats below. The Lakers do not need more scorers, we need a guy who helps scorers to score and that is NOT Clarkson. Clarkson's rebounding is impressive for a guard. If the Lakers let Marshall walk they are gonna regret it. If he scores 2 points a game and has 12 assists per game, that will be valuable to someone. He was 8/9 last season on that convoluted D'Antoni mishmash of a team.

PIE: The NBA's PIE (Player Impact Estimate) statistic measures a player's overall statistical contribution against the total statistics in games they play in.

SourceCode
votes: 26
Laker GM
Posts: 3714

I used to like Marshall, but he does not have that drive to get better on what he lacks, like his all around scoring ability, defense, and aggression when need be; he also needs to get into better shape. He doesn't need to be best scorer, he just needs to be able to. He doesn't have to be the best defender, he just has to be able to. He doesn't have to be full blown aggressive, he just needs to be able to pull the trigger when the team needs him to. If he's not able to pass, he's useless. I liked him before knowing this because I seen the potential of what he could be and he could still be a really good point, if he's willing to work, but he's not willing to put in the true effort to become better; and with Marshall lacking speed and athleticism, going up against the points in the league, he has to work on every aspect of his game to fill in the void of what he lacks. After watching him in summer league and seeing that he has not evolved and elevated his game, I think waiving him was a good move, maybe this will light a fire under him.

e_from_LA
votes: 0
NewsSurge Newbie
Posts: 36

I think the bucks just picked up Marshall from waivers.

"According to Marc Stein of ESPN, the Lakers have lost their chance to re-sign Marshall because the Bucks are claiming him off waivers. The Bucks will add to their point guard depth, putting Marshall behind Brandon Knight and Nate Wolters."

Skyeword
votes: 68
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 7527
Location: Atlanta
us.gif

[Deleted by Skyeword] - Double Post - Just padding my stats

Skyeword
votes: 68
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 7527
Location: Atlanta
us.gif
Losing Kendall is one of the biggest bonehead moves yet! I am seeking to find the words to convey the degree of drooling, slack jaw incompetence that is the decision to waive one of the top assist men in the NBA who earned less than $1M. Now, the Lakers have Clarkson who is not a PG, Nash, who is elderly and Lin, so we have one PG and we lost a lottery pick player who is gonna lead the league in assists when given the chance. How is it possible to be the son of one of the greatest NBA Owners ever and along with an ex NBA player and protegee of Jerry West that combined, their functioning brain cells simply cannot understand the notion of team chemistry or TEAM at all. By relentlessly removing or allowing young players to vacate and not developing them to build a team patiently, you will NEVER have a team, and without a team you will have no victories and certainly no championship. By negating specialist skills (though they did bring Wes back for defense I will give them that) in favor of pretending to work hard to keep Kobe happy, the Lakers have lost yet another valuable asset because they have overpaid the assets that they have with no big picture in mind. A basic calculator could have predicted this fake dilemma that they created for themselves. Did they not consider that no other NBA team would grab Kendall? Seriously? Did they not consider that 'Hmmmm, if we intend to let Kendall go that a FA like Isaiah Thomas would be a genius pick up? This is actually stupid and I'm not being sarcastic. They clearly have no strategy obviously and I must conclude that they do not understand how....

SourceCode
votes: 26
Laker GM
Posts: 3714

kendall marshall also needs to work on his right hand - I forgot to incorporate that in my last response, but he needs to work on and get better at every aspect of his game. I think those that are extremely down and out and ranting about this move are extremely overrating his ability. hopefully if bucks pick him up, j kidd could help his evolving process; I just don't know if he has that the drive to get better because he has yet to show he does. I also don't think the lakers intended on bringing kendall back, but would as a last resort.

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16773
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

This HOF FO is mind boggling. I'm not sure what they are trying to accomplish out here: Rebuild, Retool, tank, contend...... This has become an effin circus.

One thing I'm quite certain about, that they are definitely smoking something exotic. That is a given. They are probably still stuck inside one of those mystical "Dens" Randy was alluding to, in the "Pipe dream" thread. These bozos, along with certain Jurassic fossils we have on this team, have reduced this franchise into a laughing stock within the nba universe.

It is becoming awfully painful witnessing/ observing the transactions of this front office. It is like watching a couple of 5 year olds/juveniles, building a green baby dinosaur with Lego building blocks.

Jlaker85
votes: 3
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 671

Firstof all I'm glad the Bucks picked up Marshall. Dude is garbage I don't see how people don't see that. all he can do is pass. As far as Clsrkson he is a pg. If you didn't notice he was playing off the ball a lot. Once he gets around nash and lin he will be ok. The only way a pg like Marshall would work is if he was a good defender and we all know he will never be that. Great move Mitch

OCLakerfan8
votes: 20
Laker GM
Posts: 2896

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
This HOF FO is mind boggling. I'm not sure what they are trying to accomplish out here: Rebuild, Retool, tank, contend...... This has become an effin circus.

One thing I'm quite certain about, that they are definitely smoking something exotic. That is a given. They are probably still stuck inside one of those mystical "Dens" Randy was alluding to, in the "Pipe dream" thread. These bozos, along with certain Jurassic fossils we have on this team, have reduced this franchise into a laughing stock within the nba universe.

It is becoming awfully painful witnessing/ observing the transactions of this front office. It is like watching a couple of 5 year olds/juveniles, building a green baby dinosaur with Lego building blocks.

Hahaha all this over Marshall? Come on now you're just complaining to complain. The kid just wasn't good. Wouldn't have helped out now, wouldn't have helped in the future.


Options Quick Reply: RE: Lakers Waive Kendall Marshall, Bring Back Xavier Henry
register
You are an anonymous user- or .
Quote the last message
Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)
Notify me when a reply is posted
Don't Check Spelling
Note: Twitter & Youtube BBCODE Tags are no longer necessary. The system will automatically convert links to tweets & youtube videos.
   


   
   
register
You are an anonymous user- Register now or Log in Now!