Summer of 2014: A Final End to Lakers Pipe Dream Strategy (P. 2)

Lakers Forum » Lakers Blogs
Author Search This Topic:
 
wisaac3rd
votes: 0
Casual Laker Fan
Posts: 64
Location: Riverside, CA.

Thank goodness that mess is over. IMHO we had a lot of talent last year that was grossly mismanaged and under coached. The lakers are the Lakers are the Lakers as the Clippers are the Clippers. Lakers may be down for a while but will rise again. The Clippers as they showed last year (not the team) bur ownership showed they will find a way to lose as they always have and will until there is a change in ownership.

I love the Lakers and highly respect Kobe as I believe any true laker fan should. He has his faults but who doesn't we are better with him than without him. Personally I would love to see him even with 75 percent of his talent he is still head and shoulders over 90% of players in the league. The LAKERS will RISE again so sayeth the South. Look for a a 7th if not a 5th seed come playoff time. Preacher out.

TheInfamous55
votes: 12
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1488

[email protected] Preacher out...

MemphisLakerToni
votes: 3
Casual Laker Fan
Posts: 114
Hi SPQR, Hi Gem, I was waiting on you SPQR to write about our great offseason Yellow_Flash_Colorz_PDT_09 , I was actually hoping that we could acquire a new superstar, but we don't even have a coach, "The biggest fantasy dispelled this year (and the precursor warning was with Howard last year) was the oft repeated canard, "What star wouldn't want to play with Kobe Bryant?" You know, what top player wouldn't want to join a great like Kobe? We have heard that for a long time. And the FO bought into it in full. So did many fans, especially his more rabid ones. This fantasy was really the basis for fans and the FO's dream that a quick rebuild of the team and the Lakers fortunes could be achieved. It was this faulty lynchpin theory that spiked the front offices thinking, to a lethal degree in choosing a path that simply would not work. And the reason for that lies strictly with Kobe. Over his career, he has sent out a very strong, virulent message: This is my team and I don't share the top stop with anyone. It was message he sent out over and over again, and like a submarine receiving a sonar bounce, other stars in the NBA picked it up and translated that message loud and clear and responded accordingly" This point we have talked about so much the last 2 years that it should not have been any question that no current star wants to play with Kobe. In Melo case he just wanted the money(more power to him). Every player in the NBA knows that it is Kobe's team!!!! Even last year when he was hurt it was all about him. In Howard's case I believe it was 2 things Dantoni and Kobe. I actually am happy for Pau,....

gemfow
votes: 181
LNS HOF Silver

Posts: 12402
Location: Maryland
us.gif
MemphisLakerToni: glad to see you make a cameo. There were two myths debunked this offseason, the first one is that all these players want to play with Kobe. For years Gasol has played alongside Kobe and it's probably had its ups but I'm sure with the team losing of late that it's really had its downs and it's going to continue. Kobe is not the most pleasant person when his teams aren't doing well, he tends to isolate himself and tends to say F you guys, I'll do it myself. He's been away from the game he lives for over a year so he may just be happy to be on the court again and won't carry that same attitude or either he will try to show the world he's still one of the top players. It will be interesting to see. As you can see Love said he'd extend with Cleveland if he was traded there. These words weren't said by Howard when he was going to be traded to LA. Howard smartly waited before extending because he was probably trying to see how long Kobe was going to play and when Kobe said about three more years I think the writing was on the wall, he was leaving. The second debunked myth is this Lakers' appeal that everyone just wants to play for the Lakers. Pau chose less money to play for another team and left the Laker brand, I can't blame him. Melo IMO wasn't going to come here but instead was seeing what Lebron was going to do because after Lebron decided he went back to NY. The lakers appeal could have a lot to do with Kobe possibly but bottom line is no one who....

TheInfamous55
votes: 12
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1488
It does pain me to think that the Lakers feel a blank slate given to a marquee free agent will be as attractive in compare to a turn-key opportunity to just plug, play, and perhaps win a title with. I've been Tweeting, posting, and barbershop talking my a** off that this Showtime mystique that the Great Dr. Jerry Buss created needs to be laid to rest. It was Jerry's era and now that he's gone, people around (and outside) the NBA are not confident that the Legacy will be upheld by Jim and Jeanie... Nor should we. I'm sick of seeing these Laker greats and these other old farts telling their stories of "back then" and "when in the Showtime era" or "hope to bring back that type of Laker basketball" is interjected into the now of how the league operates. And then pitching to free agents how great it would be to play for this storied franchise and alongside Kobe Bryant is such an empty statement to these players. First the past is the past. What have the Lakers done lately? Next playing alongside Kobe. Now did you say young Kobe or old Kobe? I'm not sure because it is 2014 and last I checked he still is a jerk to play with but yet his bite isn't anything to be afraid of. (Open scene) Guys...(free agent talk) what exactly am I coming here to and for? Your star is shot, your roster is not, and a coach you ain't got. So what, where, and exactly is that direction your pointing me to? (Close scene) I'd like to see a new era started, get rid of that draconian Lawrence Tanner and get hotter looking Laker girls. Put a new paint job on this organization and renovate to construct into a turn-key....

lakeshowsd
votes: 145
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14661
Location: North Bend, OR
us.gif

Great post from SPQR and I agree with pretty much everything he said. It seems apparent that The Lakers are done winning championships in the Kobe Bryant era. I think it's going to be a weird and uncomfortable situation until Kobe's gone. I don't think the Lakers can win it all now with Bryant being a shadow of the player he once was, but still presumably possessing the mindset of a still dominant player. With all due respect to Kobe's talent, he's at the point in his career where he is more of a hindrance to the organization's championship aspirations than he is an asset. To top it off, we still haven't even reached the post-Kobe years, which may very well resemble the post-Magic Johnson years of non-contention that occurred before the Lakers eventually rebuilt a team strong enough to attract a big star named Shaq. Tough years still to come for Laker fans.

TheInfamous55
votes: 12
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1488

He arises!!!

lakernet79
votes: 35
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 591

I'll start this off by saying I didn't read this post, just read the title and the author and can pretty much guess what it says. I am sure they are all valid points and well articulated, but whatever the points may be and whatever the outcome may have been, this is my stance:

The Lakers will always swing for the fences. How many thought it was a pipe dream to get the Magic and Big Game James? Those aren't the best examples since they are not in our control per se. A better example might be, who would have thought we would get Kareem or Shaq? Who would have have thought trading a top center for an unproven kid out of high school was a home run? Who would have thought we could swing Kwame for Pau? All pipe dreams that came true. I am not saying that this off season was fine. It was not, but we did make some good moves, just not those home runs we have come to expect. Keep in mind though that the Lakers never said, "Just wait for summer of 2014". That was the concoction of media speculation.

But just remember, the most successful people/franchises/businesses in the history of this nation have failed more than they have succeeded. Thomas Edison said:

"I didn't fail 1,000 times. The light bulb was an invention with 1,000 steps." "Great success is built on failure, frustration, even catastrophe."

Dream big. And when you dream big, you can't be afraid to fall hard. We dreamed big with the CP3 trade, and are still falling hard from the aftermath. But on the bright side, this is really the tail end of the fallout. The point is, give me this franchise any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I will take the lumps that come with their success.

No disrespect to all those who have an opinion otherwise, I just tend to focus on the positive more than the negative. It's better for my blood pressure.

lakerever
votes: 0
Serious Laker Fan
Posts: 226

....We traded an All Star point guard Norm Nixon for Rookie's right of Byron Scott....

TheMagicontinues
votes: 5
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 877

Cliffnotes... snoresville.... Fact is Kobe is past his prime, no star wants to come play with him right now... we will need to hit rock bottom, get lucky in the draft a few years, and we maybe back to playoff contenders, but there is no quarantee's... Laker fans are going to have to be patient... no bandwagon to the clippers as I'm guessing many will.

gemfow
votes: 181
LNS HOF Silver

Posts: 12402
Location: Maryland
us.gif

lakernet79 wrote:
I'll start this off by saying I didn't read this post, just read the title and the author and can pretty much guess what it says. I am sure they are all valid points and well articulated, but whatever the points may be and whatever the outcome may have been, this is my stance:

How can you engage in a discussion if you don't even know what's been fully said?

The examples you've brought up were trades. That's completely different than Mitch trying to put everything on free agency. When I hear Mitch talk it's always something about the new CBA being more difficult to land a star. Well, we already knew that and that's something Stern has worked on for years, which was leveling the playing field. I get tired of hearing Mitch say how hard it is to land a star. Okay, we get it Mitch, so how about just building a team that doesn't have a star. The Lakers have benefited from the actions of West since 1996 where he acquired two major stars and even when it went down to one star we still had one in LA. Mitch is trying his hardest to land a star in LA and people love him for it, I don't. You won't always have a star or superstar on the team. That's life and people are too spoiled to accept that. I'm on the side of the fence where I'd rather see him build a team and if it's second and third tier guys working together then fine. There will be a time where a star like Kevin Love wants to leave their current situation and maybe it will take some draft picks and a few lower tier guys to obtain him. LA can't even do that though. LA has no assets well now they do in a rookie now which I hope they don't entertain moving him. Sometimes you have to bottom out in order to build a strong foundation. That's how it is sometimes and that's where football has it right as opposed to basketball but since football is driven less by superstars running a team as opposed to great teamwork, it doesn't suffer this BS in the NBA where teams cater to these stars.

Will the fans of LA be upset that their team has to essentially start over? We started over in 1991 or 1992 and it took eight years to build a dynasty, a dynasty torn apart by two egomaniacs in Kobe and Shaq but a dynasty all the same.

LALayup
votes: 125
LNS HOF Silver

Posts: 13693
Location: RRTX

Jerry West was always shooting for the stars either directly or indirectly. In fact he & Mitch gave up some very good every day players in order to make room for guys like Shaq in free agency and Kobe in the trade. I'm pretty sure West would be the first to tell us all about the value of star players and ultimately trying to swing for the fences as it has been put above. There are just so few true stars. That's part of the problem. But you can't stop trying just because of some misses.

Without a doubt some of the Lakers luster has been lost and that contributes to the problem too. Thankfully, in basketball turnarounds can happen in a hurry. I have my fingers crossed that Byron can be a part of a nice return to our lustrous history. I won't guarantee it, but I'd sure love to see it.

TheInfamous55
votes: 12
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1488

I'm content with the efforts of the front office. It's a mix of all points of view in which make them all correct. This league is different with them being spoiled and unrighteously demanding. What is exactly a star these days? The suggestion that Gem has made would be the most ideal. Build a team that can develop and excel. Then we'll see if a star emerges.

But at this time, the right thing to do is to showcase Kobe no matter how much it hurts a lot for some to stomach. I mean till the wheels fall off I guess.

lakernet79
votes: 35
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 591


Repped High Quality Post

gemfow wrote:
How can you engage in a discussion if you don't even know what's been fully said?

Will the fans of LA be upset that their team has to essentially start over? We started over in 1991 or 1992 and it took eight years to build a dynasty, a dynasty torn apart by two egomaniacs in Kobe and Shaq but a dynasty all the same.

I'm not arguing anything he said. I just know (even without reading it) it will be negative and say Mitch did this wrong, Kobe did that wrong, no quick fix, rebuild blah blah blah. Am I wrong? I just gave a different perspective as a counter point. I'm sure everything he said was correct and backed up by examples.

And do me a favor, go look at that roster in 1991 all the way up until 1995. How many of those players were on the championship teams? Building from scratch doesn't always work, in fact it didn't work for us then either...not saying it won't work now, but don't put all your eggs in that basket. Look at OKC who has probably done it better than any team since drafting Durant. Still nothing to show for it. And that Dynasty that those "two egomaniacs" tore apart...you forgot to mention that they also built it. Take the good with the bad and don't forget to take the bad with the good.

And you brought up the fact that the landscape is different now...well of course it is. It was different when showtime began and we traded for Cap, and drafted Magic et all. Then the lottery system changed and instead of relying on the draft for talent we traded for it in Shaq and Kobe...and then later for Pau. Guess what? The landscape has changed again...and the Lakers are going to have to find another way to win yet again. And when we find a way to win again, the NBA will inevitably change once more to level the playing field. Winning is cyclical and the way in which you win is never the same.

gemfow
votes: 181
LNS HOF Silver

Posts: 12402
Location: Maryland
us.gif
Maybe I need to clarify. Building from scratch doesn't mean your whole team will be under 23. It means build/rebuilding your nucleus, an engine rebuild for the most part. To answer your question and I don't even have to look it up, there should have only been two left over Lakers from the championship era, Worthy and Scott. Worthy retired due to the knee around 93 I believe. West started building another team, the evidence was right in front of us that he was doing that. Maybe the fanbase is different but I didn't hear ridiculous complaints about it taking the Lakers six to eight years to win another championship. Where did Lakers fans get these ludicrous expectations that we should be contending for a championship almost every three years or so? The Lakers won the championship in 87-88 and then were swept by the Pistons the next year in the finals, largely in part to two hamstring injuries suffered by our starting backcourt. So essentially the Lakers didn't win another championship under West's leadership for almost 13 years. Honestly that's still not too bad of a turnaround in regards to building an actual dynasty. The dynasty was torn apart by two egomaniacs like I mentioned and yes they built it well West was the architect of it. When West started the rebuild you could see the team incrementally getting better. There weren't any quick fixes, we saw guys like Vlade and Elden Campbell developing into solid NBA players. West drafted some guys, they weren't fantastic( Peeler, Lynch, ) but that's what comes with the territorY because the draft isn't a sure thing. It wasn't a bad thing, we were seeing young role guys playing the game and then that....

gemfow
votes: 181
LNS HOF Silver

Posts: 12402
Location: Maryland
us.gif

LALayup wrote:
Jerry West was always shooting for the stars either directly or indirectly. In fact he & Mitch gave up some very good every day players in order to make room for guys like Shaq in free agency and Kobe in the trade. I'm pretty sure West would be the first to tell us all about the value of star players and ultimately trying to swing for the fences as it has been put above. There are just so few true stars. That's part of the problem. But you can't stop trying just because of some misses.

Without a doubt some of the Lakers luster has been lost and that contributes to the problem too. Thankfully, in basketball turnarounds can happen in a hurry. I have my fingers crossed that Byron can be a part of a nice return to our lustrous history. I won't guarantee it, but I'd sure love to see it.

There is nothing wrong with swinging for the fences but you at least need more than a whiffle ball bat to try and hit one out of a major league ball park. The Lakers consist of a first tier guys in Kobe and Young IMO may be more of a third tier guy but since sg is so weak now in the NBA we may be able to give him second tier status. From that point on what do the Lakers have? Even if a guy comes available in a trade the Lakers have no assets and the Lakers will continue to be that way unless they move Randle which I would hate. The Lakers are giving off the impression that their first and only priority will be a star and then that second priority is cap flexibility so they can go back to plan A. How long will Lakers' fans have to see fringe NBA players that most teams don't want? This seems to be their plan, I may be wrong but it really seems like this is the route they will go. They'll try to leave enough cap room for Westbrook and Durant so they can move their act to LA. I'd rather see Durant come home here to the Maryland/DC area over going to LA and deal with that management team.

LakerZip
votes: 35
Laker GM
Posts: 4108
Location: South Orange County
us.gif

It's clear to me that our front office has put some things into place that could result in a great team. Unfortunately, committing to paying Kobe and Nash so much is also part of that preparation. Because of those moves, we have to start with a fresh slate after Kobe's contract expires. During that 2 year period, we need to rekindle the Laker pride/spirit thing, and I think hiring Byron Scott is a BIG step in that direction. Let's hope that he gains some traction this season and next.

If Mitch and Jimmy Boy were lucky enough to build a supporting cast during the next 2 years, and then to snag Westbrook and Durant when Kobe's contract expires, other teams had better shake in their boots. We would have sufficient cap space to bring in one more talented player, and the supporting cast we are now developing.

But in the short run, its going to be very difficult. Right now, it just doesn't look like we have the level of talent required to be competitive - because of paying so much to Kobe and Nash. I'm afraid that Kobe feels that the entire team is on his shoulders again, and he will try to play Hero Ball, in order to will us into the playoffs (like he did 2 years ago). But I'm concerned that all that effort and stress on his older body will cause him to break down again. Don't want to see it, but I think its almost inevitable. I want the Lakers to succeed, but I don't want Kobe to get seriously hurt, either.

MrKFC
votes: 5
Laker GM
Posts: 2733
Location: Orange County
calif.gif

Well SPQR, it's not a pipe dream strategy for me. Your article is pessimistic. We did okay during the off season. We did better than most teams and I may say Houston as well for an example. They lost Chandler and Lin who are good players. They dump them to make room for Bosh but received Ariza instead. I don't know who are the scouts there in Houston but they don't have eyes for talent when they see one. They only see big names like Howard but what has Howard done but has the same old predictable moves and I may say the same personality as well in the last ten seasons. And have they won any championships with the big star names yet? Houston gotten worst unlike us. We gotten better. We have a better coach that knows the organization. We gotten younger with future prospects such as Lin, Randle, Wesley Johnson, and Ed Davis in the roster. We are better than most Eastern Conference teams and some Western Conference teams. This Lakers team is underrated. If you have the eyes to see that we have talented players here and Kobe. How is that a pipe dream strategy?

gemfow
votes: 181
LNS HOF Silver

Posts: 12402
Location: Maryland
us.gif

LakerZip wrote:
It's clear to me that our front office has put some things into place that could result in a great team. Unfortunately, committing to paying Kobe and Nash so much is also part of that preparation. Because of those moves, we have to start with a fresh slate after Kobe's contract expires. During that 2 year period, we need to rekindle the Laker pride/spirit thing, and I think hiring Byron Scott is a BIG step in that direction. Let's hope that he gains some traction this season and next.

If Mitch and Jimmy Boy were lucky enough to build a supporting cast during the next 2 years, and then to snag Westbrook and Durant when Kobe's contract expires, other teams had better shake in their boots. We would have sufficient cap space to bring in one more talented player, and the supporting cast we are now developing.

But in the short run, its going to be very difficult. Right now, it just doesn't look like we have the level of talent required to be competitive - because of paying so much to Kobe and Nash. I'm afraid that Kobe feels that the entire team is on his shoulders again, and he will try to play Hero Ball, in order to will us into the playoffs (like he did 2 years ago). But I'm concerned that all that effort and stress on his older body will cause him to break down again. Don't want to see it, but I think its almost inevitable. I want the Lakers to succeed, but I don't want Kobe to get seriously hurt, either.

My problem with that strategy was realized this offseason. When the FO wants to go after big names they'll put everything else on hold. In their defense, they had to contend with that nasty contract but is that truly the future? Having no cap space to try and lure guys and then try to build a team around who wants to come to LA? That means each guy has to be willing to leave 30 million on the table. Who has really left that much? Lebron twice and Howard once. leaving a big sum of money like that will only happen ever so often. Is it fair to the fans of LA? IMO I don't think it is fair to say you guys wait and be patient with the garbage team we put together, we will put your money towards free agents. We will gamble for Aldridge this coming year and strikeout and then we will go after Durant and Westbrook after that. The main thing is we will keep our cap flexibility until we get a star to LA.

LakerZip
votes: 35
Laker GM
Posts: 4108
Location: South Orange County
us.gif

I think part of the problem may be that our front office didn't even have a coach in place. Everything is riding on Bryan Scott making something happen this next 2 years. It's up to him to create the environment where people want to come to this team. Our front office has created a horrible image of the Lakers management, and its ability to make a decision. They need an image makeover between now and when Kobe's contract expires.

On an optimistic note, remember that there aren't that many places where 3 really good players could decide to move - for a championship. Most teams don't and won't have the capspace. We will probably be one of 3 teams in the NBA that could accept that much salary signing for just 3 players. But if they design it that way, we could be there in 2 more years.

I absolutely HATE having to sit here and watch sub-Lakers basketball for 2 more years. BUT, I don't write the rules, and the people who do have made terrible decisions in the past which will result in this outcome. The die is already cast. But they can fix it in 2 years, and it looks to me like that's what they intend to do.

Kobe and the guys will be good to watch, don't get me wrong, but I personally think Kobe will break down again (because the entire weight of this season will be on his shoulders), and we will S U C K until he's done. After that, we've got a real chance at being competitive.

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12908
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

LakerZip wrote:
I think part of the problem may be that our front office didn't even have a coach in place. Everything is riding on Bryan Scott making something happen this next 2 years. It's up to him to create the environment where people want to come to this team. Our front office has created a horrible image of the Lakers management, and its ability to make a decision. They need an image makeover between now and when Kobe's contract expires.

On an optimistic note, remember that there aren't that many places where 3 really good players could decide to move - for a championship. Most teams don't and won't have the capspace. We will probably be one of 3 teams in the NBA that could accept that much salary signing for just 3 players. But if they design it that way, we could be there in 2 more years.

I absolutely HATE having to sit here and watch sub-Lakers basketball for 2 more years. BUT, I don't write the rules, and the people who do have made terrible decisions in the past which will result in this outcome. The die is already cast. But they can fix it in 2 years, and it looks to me like that's what they intend to do.

Kobe and the guys will be good to watch, don't get me wrong, but I personally think Kobe will break down again (because the entire weight of this season will be on his shoulders), and we will S U C K until he's done. After that, we've got a real chance at being competitive.

The thing is I don't see Kobe hanging them up after his contract unless injury dictates it. I see him trying to coat tail some other star/s so he can get one more ring and maybe even the scoring record. I think some deal was struck where he gets paid now and then takes a huge pay cut there after. Obviously I have no proof of this just IMHO. That can be the only reason they paid him so much. (That's what I keep telling myself).

lakerever
votes: 0
Serious Laker Fan
Posts: 226

I think, They will try to develop the young players we have, some of them are the same we had last year, but injuries and a terrible coach who had no idea what to do with the players from their roster, prevented developing the plan.

If we look at our young players we realize that some of them were good draft picks, but in some cases they have not had the opportunity or did not make the teams that had the perfect situation to develop their potential. According to this plan, some players could become pieces of changes or could become assets on which you can build the future.

Jordan Hill, 8th overall pick in 2009

Xavier Henry, 12th overall pick in 2010

Wesley Johnson, 4th overall pick in 2010

Nick Young , 16th overall pick in 2007

Ed Davis, 13th overall pick in 2010

Until that happens they maintain financial flexibility and hope for fishing a big fish, because humans have a tendency to repeat things that have worked out well, remember that this has been a successful formula in the mythical and legendary Lakerland.

The other part of the plan could be to be alert to the possibility of making a change before the trade deadline, so they could use the contract Nash, Hill, etc. I hope FO not include Randle, because I see him with a lot of potential. I agree that it is very unlikely that Durant play for the Lakers since his preference will be or play with his current team or play at home, but Mitch & Co can get other players.

lakernet79
votes: 35
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 591

gemfow wrote:
Maybe I need to clarify. Building from scratch doesn't mean your whole team will be under 23. It means build/rebuilding your nucleus, an engine rebuild for the most part. To answer your question and I don't even have to look it up, there should have only been two left over Lakers from the championship era, Worthy and Scott. Worthy retired due to the knee around 93 I believe. West started building another team, the evidence was right in front of us that he was doing that. Maybe the fanbase is different but I didn't hear ridiculous complaints about it taking the Lakers six to eight years to win another championship. Where did Lakers fans get these ludicrous expectations that we should be contending for a championship almost every three years or so?

I actually meant who was on those teams that lasted till the Kobe/Shaq era of championships. The point being that while those teams were really fun to watch, young, athletic, etc., none of them won a ring. There is no doubt that Van Exel, Jones, et all were great talents. But none were championship level talent. It's easier to find the good players than it is the great players. If we gather a bunch of good players, we'll win some regular season games and it will be fun...but we most likely will not win a ring. Remember those Portland/Sacramento teams we beat during the Kobe/Shaq 3 peat? Both teams had many good players. They were so very deep and talented. But the team with the 2 great players won...over and over again.

To be clear, I am all for getting a young team and rebuilding but I am not going to deny what has won for us in the past. I am probably going to watch the games no matter what either way. I just feel that many are screaming for rebuilding, getting youth, forget about the superstar because that is the opposite of what the Lakers have been these past few decades and people just might want to see something different. I'm all for variety, but I'm more for winning. It is a different era of basketball both on and off the court (CBA, etc...), so maybe a change in strategy will work. Just don't bet the farm on it.

gemfow
votes: 181
LNS HOF Silver

Posts: 12402
Location: Maryland
us.gif
I look at it differently of course and not just because it's a different era. A poster debated about the reason Shaq came to LA. My point during that debate was that the team in place was one that Shaq was attracted to, they had a roster, he was the superstar that roster needed to take them to a different level. I don't doubt the validity of a superstar carrying a team but what superstar wants to come to a team with no sort of help or play with a declining superstar who will not take second fiddle to no one? LA's approach seems to be they won't use any money really until they get a superstar or three in place and then fill out the roster with ring-chasers. Personally, I hate that approach of waiting and hoping a superstar wants to leave their current team. We know Love is unhappy in Minnesota due to losing. The Lakers will try to go after Aldridge or. Rondo next offseason but is Aldridge unhappy in Portland? He's playing with a young point guard who is awesome in Lillard. The rest of the team is young and their getting better, most likely he's not going anywhere. Rondo may be traded before the offseason and I'm sure Boston may not want a package of Nick Young and whatever trash the lakers try to throw in to let him go. Rondo even during the offseason probably wouldn't sign with LA due to the lack of a roster that's on a high level. When Boston started the big three epidemic they at least had assets to trade so they could land Allen and KG because they were bad for so long. Miami had a....

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12908
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

Personally I just think the Laker's strategy is wrong. Look at Dallas. Since they won the championship they have been swinging and missing on FA's summer after summer. They only got Parsons because they overpaid and included a nice trade kicker clause so Houston wouldn't match. We should be signing solid players that we can use in the future to trade up. A prime example or 2 would be Ariza, or Meeks. Instead the FO took them on short term deals and ultimately got nothing in return. Granted we basically swapped Ariza for MWP and won a championship but look where it ended. Ariza was a coveted FA this year while MWP was amnestied and is now playing in China after a failed season with a dreadful Knicks team.

If we look at the top players of the 2015 summer there will be Love, Aldridge and M. Gasol. If love is traded to the Cavs he has already stated he will re-up. Ditto for Aldridge and Gasol. They are just looking for a good deal by hitting free agency and are not looking for a new home. After those we have Rondo, Gay and Wesley Matthews. Players with player options; Monta Ellis, Deng, Millsap, DeAndre Jordan, Chandler, Jefferson and Lopez. Restricted FA headliners are, K Leonard, Klay Thompson, Kemba Walker, Kenneth Farried.

Obviously there are players available but I just don't expect us to hit a home run next summer either.

gemfow
votes: 181
LNS HOF Silver

Posts: 12402
Location: Maryland
us.gif

Tempy wrote:
Personally I just think the Laker's strategy is wrong. Look at Dallas. Since they won the championship they have been swinging and missing on FA's summer after summer. They only got Parsons because they overpaid and included a nice trade kicker clause so Houston wouldn't match. We should be signing solid players that we can use in the future to trade up. A prime example or 2 would be Ariza, or Meeks. Instead the FO took them on short term deals and ultimately got nothing in return. Granted we basically swapped Ariza for MWP and won a championship but look where it ended. Ariza was a coveted FA this year while MWP was amnestied and is now playing in China after a failed season with a dreadful Knicks team.

If we look at the top players of the 2015 summer there will be Love, Aldridge and M. Gasol. If love is traded to the Cavs he has already stated he will re-up. Ditto for Aldridge and Gasol. They are just looking for a good deal by hitting free agency and are not looking for a new home. After those we have Rondo, Gay and Wesley Matthews. Players with player options; Monta Ellis, Deng, Millsap, DeAndre Jordan, Chandler, Jefferson and Lopez. Restricted FA headliners are, K Leonard, Klay Thompson, Kemba Walker, Kenneth Farried.

Obviously there are players available but I just don't expect us to hit a home run next summer either.

I think Lakers' fans may be in for a rude awakening. I can't stand this approach to wanting the big names in free agency because when you strikeout at the plate going for hmeruns, a lot of times you leave men stranded on base. I have no doubt in my mind that the Lakers are looking towards the Durant/Westbrook free agency. It bothers me as a fan to sit up here and deal with a mediocre season not because we are just low on talent but because we remain low on talent because the management team only wants to go for big names. If they can't get the big name they'll leave the cap room there for the next year to try again.

SPQR
votes: 291
LNS HOF Bronze

Posts: 9286
Location: Pennsylvania
Baadmaster, Dave, Lakerdude, BornandRaisedLA, Gem, Roman, TheInfamous55, Appollon, Lakedson, LakerdudeinIndy, Teagle: Thanks for the nice words. Sorry it took so long to give my thanks but I have not been on since I posted this thread. Just too damn busy at work to do it and that is where I used to do most of my checking in and writing, lol. For those who found the post long, it was. I tend to right long when the muse strikes but I try to keep it interesting even then. Hopefully those who read it all found it so. Dave, Thanks for the nice words and rep. The Lakers should be better this year just because of the addition of Kobe. But the funny thing is, for expressed reasons, I don't want that this year, lol. I am not sure the Lakers will be able to get any true stars next year for a variety of reasons. I think 2016 might be a better opportunity providing Kobe is gone by then. If he re-ups....... I think right now they should perhaps concentrate on stocking up on good ancillary players they can depend on for the next five or six years and then see how it goes with getting a star in the draft or trade or free agency during that time period. Anyway it will be interesting to see what Mitch and the FO do over the next few years. They are in a very unusual position, not one they are used to. Some thoughts on some comments: Map1, We can't veto any Love trade to Cleveland because they are not breaking any rules. Just like people couldn't veto the Pau to LA move even though everyone knew it would bring rings to LA. Just refer to Pops comments when that trade was being worked on. I don't remember....

LakerZip
votes: 35
Laker GM
Posts: 4108
Location: South Orange County
us.gif

Wow, you're correct. We're going to be waiting around while other teams sign great players, until Westbrook and Durant make their decisions. Then, we may be sitting here again just like we are now, trying to pick up the pieces when the top contenders slam us at the last minute.

We could get stuck with whatever is left again. Not sure that I like the way the talent is now being distributed under the CBA.

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12908
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

LakerZip wrote:
Wow, you're correct. We're going to be waiting around while other teams sign great players, until Westbrook and Durant make their decisions. Then, we may be sitting here again just like we are now, trying to pick up the pieces when the top contenders slam us at the last minute.

We could get stuck with whatever is left again. Not sure that I like the way the talent is now being distributed under the CBA.

I don't think we stand a chance with Durant. Our only hope would be with Westbrook with his LA ties and his ego wanting to be the Alpha dog. Next summer we need to get solid role players maybe Monroe to improve our front court if he ends up becoming unrestricted.

BaadMaster
votes: 98
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8627
My answer is NO -- as long as Captain Backwards is running the ship. I don't think anyone here can grasp the enormity of taking the Number One NBA franchise and turning it into the League's laughing stock in a few short years. You have to make bad decision after bad decision after bad decision. I mean even the tiniest bad choices that any child could have avoided -- such as not taking Daphony to the Dwight Howard pitch meeting or those embarrassing "Stay D12" billboards -- were made. And of course, the big blunders, like treating draft picks as if they were jujubes, crapping all over Phil Jackson and firing all the scouts are more examples of Jim's inept leadership. Granted, any CEO can make an awful decision when running a business empire. I am sure Bill Gates would gladly take back the Zune MP3 player. But when you make a long succession of horrendous decisions -- up to and including Jimbo's unkempt mullet and ball cap combo in a League that is the sin qua non of stylistic cool -- give testimony to a man supremely ungifted to the task of running an NBA team. To add insult to injury, he is a hermit in a people-based business. He looks like a man who would rather go to the dentist for a root canal than say "hello" to Lakers players and fans. Contrast that to Steve Ballmer's approach (although it is too soon to grade him), the Mark Cuban style or the flair his late father brought to the game. Fire some scouts while you are at it, too. And turn your greatest ally, Phil Jackson, into a hard nosed competitor. It seems that Jim has left no stone unturned in his quest to make awful decisions. BUT WAIT, THERE'S....

BaadMaster
votes: 98
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8627

Apollon wrote:
All valid points, but there is no need for all the drama and "opium dens" introduction...

Yes there is. It is called WRITING.

Using your logic, Lincoln would have said "Eighty seven years ago," instead of "Four score and seven years ago," Ernest Hemingway (in case you never heard of him, he was a famous writer) would have written, "This old timer caught a fish," instead of penning "The Old Man and the Sea," Michael Corleone, the fictional Godfather, would have said "I threatened him" rather than "I made him an offer he can't refuse" and Dr. Martin Luther King would have spoken "I got this idea' instead of "I have a dream..."

If you don't value writing as art, then renew your subscription to The National Inquirer. That's all the literature you will ever need.

TheInfamous55
votes: 12
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1488

BaadMaster wrote:

If you don't value writing as art, then renew your subscription to The National Inquirer. That's all the literature you will ever need.

Niiiice... LOL


Options Quick Reply: RE: Summer of 2014: A Final End to Lakers Pipe Dream Strategy
register
You are an anonymous user- or .
Quote the last message
Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)
Notify me when a reply is posted
Don't Check Spelling
Note: Twitter & Youtube BBCODE Tags are no longer necessary. The system will automatically convert links to tweets & youtube videos.
   


   
   
register
You are an anonymous user- Register now or Log in Now!