Should the Lakers Take a Chance on Joel Embiid?

Lakers Forum » Lakers General Discussions
Poll
Would you?
Yes - great potential
54%
 54%  [6]
No - too risky with history of injury problems
45%
 45%  [5]
Total Votes : 11

Author Search This Topic:
 
ralppcobarde
votes: 28
LNS HOF Bronze
Age: 25
Posts: 6183

rp.gif
  

Hello LTB! long time no post for me though.

It's good to be back. I know Joel Embiid is injured right now. But if he is available at No.7 why not draft him? He has the potential to be a star and i can see him being a cornerstone player by any franchise.If not Embiid, we need to draft Marcus Smart. we need a point guard right now badly and i think Smart is the guy. What can you say my fellow LTB?

24All_DAY
votes: 2
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1103

I say you are 100% correct. Embiid is our guy. And if he's off the board smart is my next choice. Because you are right about Embiid, when healthy he is a cornerstone. A lot if teams are skeptical because this draft has SOOOO much upside that that they are worried about losing out in someone else if he is a bust. The lakers can afford it if he ends up being a bust because la is a hot destination for free agents so we don't necessarily rely on the draft, although it does help

WatchTheSkyFall24
votes: 22
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 6226

us.gif

No, the guy has two screws in his foot, I'm no doctor but that doesn't sound good at all.

kb24_4life
votes: 50
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 6189

us.gif

Yes, but only because we have the number 7 pick. If we had a top 3 I would not draft him. The pick the Lakers have should net them an All Star at best. If there's a chance to get a potential superstar even though he has some questions about health I still take him with the 7th pick. I feel at the position the Lakers are in with their pick they can take that gamble.

I'm also someone who a few months ago said Embiid reminded me of Oden in how I thought he'd be a bust and shouldn't be a top three pick However... I'd still gamble if he fell to number seven and I'd love to be wrong about my gut instinct.

ralppcobarde
votes: 28
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 6183

rp.gif

^^ I agree and respect your opinion guys. I'd take him if he is available at no.7 because we will be drafting him at No.7 .if we got the Top 3 either we get Smart,Parker or Exum. Embiid can take the rest for a year but it gives us another setback for another year. but I'm willing to take the risk and gamble in order to take the next step.

Ray
votes: 25
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1686
Location: Ray

I would take him at 7 only because I know we could find a good trade to get rid of him with. His body is breaking down on him and he is only been playing for 3 years, this is just how the game goes for "Athletic" big men. He Is stick and bones for being 7ft. Unless he has a mid range game like the Brow his "footwork" isn't gonna matter in the NBA. If they know you can't shoot and your not big enough to bully your way to the post you will easily be stopped in the NBA.

Also its not a matter of practicing and he will be a good mid range shooter. There are plenty of big men who are terrible shooters regardless of the practice they put in.

mrlandlord
votes: 3
Casual Laker Fan
Posts: 173

Ray wrote:
I would take him at 7 only because I know we could find a good trade to get rid of him with. His body is breaking down on him and he is only been playing for 3 years, this is just how the game goes for "Athletic" big men. He Is stick and bones for being 7ft. Unless he has a mid range game like the Brow his "footwork" isn't gonna matter in the NBA. If they know you can't shoot and your not big enough to bully your way to the post you will easily be stopped in the NBA.

Also its not a matter of practicing and he will be a good mid range shooter. There are plenty of big men who are terrible shooters regardless of the practice they put in.

I would definitely take him. We give him the year off and then leak videos of how awesome he is next summer. Then we trade him for someone that is not damaged goods.

gemfow
votes: 181
LNS HOF Silver

Posts: 12402
Location: Maryland
us.gif

Did any of you guys know that in college Blake Griffin had two knee injuries? One to his left knee and then one to his right that required arthroscopic surgery. Blake then suffered a stress fracture in his knee during summer league and had to have surgery and missed his whole rookie campaign. That's three injuries in two and a half years and a funny thing has happened while he's been in the league. He isn't known as an injury prone player. So why do some of you feel that Embiid is injury prone due to a couple of injuries?

David Robinson hurt his back and also broke his foot in the same season(sounds like Embiid) and missed the whole season which allowed them to draft Duncan. Robinson wasn't known as an injury prone player. Where are some of you guys jumping to injury prone player conclusions? If you guys play sports you would know that sometimes freak injuries occur. It doesn't mean you're injury prone.

JJCali
votes: 22
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8544

us.gif

If Smart, Wiggins, Exum, Parker & Randle are all gone when we pick, sure, maybe then we should take a chance on Embiid. Otherwise, hell no!

Axle
votes: 71
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 15015
Location: Axle

I do not believe Embiid would get down that far for the Lakers to even consider, BUT! Just remember what happened to the Blazers with Oden when they could have had Durant.

Same with the Lakers IF it got to that. Why take a chance on an injured player when you can probably get a Levine, Gordon or a Randle.

Embiid is the crown jewel and if he was not injured I would jump on it, but then it would never get to the range of the Lakers. He would be gone in the first round.

But a good specialist can tell if this young man can perform at nba level without getting fractures etc etc. Bone density test should be able to tell a lot.

tlex300
votes: 0
Casual Laker Fan
Posts: 70
Location: Orange County

Mark & Mychal had Dr. Klapper on the radio today and he said Embiid's injury should not be a concern. It will heal properly and will not have an affect on his future. Its not the same injury as Yao since Yao was much older and had more "mileage" on his body. We'll see!

LakerDymes
votes: 19
Laker GM
Posts: 3741

Like everyone else has said, if he's there at 7 then it's a no brainer. Embiid has the most potential of any draft prospect and even if he only reaches 60% of it than that would still be a great pick given there is a scarcity of good centers in the league, especially 2 way centers.

Skyeword
votes: 68
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 7527
Location: Atlanta
us.gif

If there is no concern, why is he dropping to the 7th position? Isn;t the fact that he may be bypassed enough to say it's NOT worth the risk? If injuries are not an issue, why not bring Drew back and take a chance on a former All Star? I say no way on Embiid. Sign and Trade Pau to Minnesota for one of their centers.

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14354
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

Skyeword wrote:
If there is no concern, why is he dropping to the 7th position? Isn;t the fact that he may be bypassed enough to say it's NOT worth the risk? If injuries are not an issue, why not bring Drew back and take a chance on a former All Star? I say no way on Embiid. Sign and Trade Pau to Minnesota for one of their centers.

Embiid's injury not the same as bynum, and bynum had injury concerns going back to high school. So why not take a chance on embiid too! And Pau would have to agree to going to Minnesota for sign and trade, don't think that's going to happen with love leaving.

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14354
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

Just read on bleacher report, Payton being told he could go 7th, 8th in draft.

LakerDymes
votes: 19
Laker GM
Posts: 3741

kkennon1 wrote:
Embiid's injury not the same as bynum, and bynum had injury concerns going back to high school. So why not take a chance on embiid too! And Pau would have to agree to going to Minnesota for sign and trade, don't think that's going to happen with love leaving.

Great point on bynum, people forget that he had red flags which is why he declared for the draft instead of going to play at uconn. He was an early favorite to be the number 1 pick had he gone to college for 1 year. Embiid would be a huge steal if he stays healthy. Also julius randle has 2 screws in his foot as well, which is why he might be there at 7 as well.

a2j1m
votes: 2
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 2307

I heard that he's faking the injury to fall to Boston or la

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14354
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

a2j1m wrote:
I heard that he's faking the injury to fall to Boston or la

If that's true and lakers get him, we have steal of draft! !!! but even if he is really injured i think he's still great value at 7.

gemfow
votes: 181
LNS HOF Silver

Posts: 12402
Location: Maryland
us.gif

a2j1m wrote:
I heard that he's faking the injury to fall to Boston or la

Yep. The doctor's also faked the surgery.

JJCali
votes: 22
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8544

us.gif

gemfow wrote:
Yep. The doctor's also faked the surgery.

LMAO! He got a lot of people involved in This scam.

vilches2432
votes: 0
NewsSurge Newbie
Posts: 34

I don't think he gets past Boston but if he does I would go for it

gemfow
votes: 181
LNS HOF Silver

Posts: 12402
Location: Maryland
us.gif

Skyeword wrote:
If there is no concern, why is he dropping to the 7th position? Isn;t the fact that he may be bypassed enough to say it's NOT worth the risk? If injuries are not an issue, why not bring Drew back and take a chance on a former All Star? I say no way on Embiid. Sign and Trade Pau to Minnesota for one of their centers.

Philly drafted Nerlens Noel 6th because he dropped due to the blown knee. He was slated to go first overall most likely. It will be interesting to see how he pans out for Philly next year, sometimes you have to take a chance.

Title#15
votes: 0
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 508

No way Ainge lets Embiid slip to the Lakers. I honestly think the Lakers picking after Boston is a factor here.

Purpcity24s
votes: 3
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1205

I would take a chance on Embiid,the lakers have the best trainers,conditioners and the best doctors are here in Los Angeles....

OCLakerfan8
votes: 20
Laker GM
Posts: 2896

gemfow wrote:
Philly drafted Nerlens Noel 6th because he dropped due to the blown knee. He was slated to go first overall most likely. It will be interesting to see how he pans out for Philly next year, you have to take a chance.

Phily took a chance on Bynum look what happened to them. I can just imagine how LTB will be if they pick Embiid and the kid doesn't pan out. I say the Lakers can't afford to take any more chances. We messes up on Howard and Nash. A third miscalculation by the FO would really screw the Lakers Franchise up for another 10-15 years.

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12893
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

Purpcity24s wrote:
I would take a chance on Embiid,the lakers have the best trainers,conditioners and the best doctors are here in Los Angeles....

yes because we had the healthiest roster in the nba last year..........

I say no. If Kobe has another set back next year and we don't pull a top 5 pick we are solely relying on FA's coming to rebuild.

Purpcity24s
votes: 3
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1205

Tempy wrote:
yes because we had the healthiest roster in the nba last year..........

I say no. If Kobe has another set back next year and we don't pull a top 5 pick we are solely relying on FA's coming to rebuild.

That's because we had an old team playing a fast pace offense your not going to stay healthy for 82 games playing at that pace your body would eventually breakdown...

24All_DAY
votes: 2
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1103

The Best Trainers AND Doctors Are IN Phoenix

TheInfamous55
votes: 12
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1488

He (Embiid) may be good but definitely will not be great. I'd take Gordon before Embiid. I wouldn't consider to mess with the cracked back and the Ming foot. Same goes for Randal. His foot makes him sketchy especially that he's already having problems dealing with bigger guys. Either way the FO ought to hold on with their pick unless it is worth trading for.

How are these mock drafts constructed anyway... On the needs of teams?

ihatehypefans
votes: 5
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 577

I want either smart or gordon

Skyeword
votes: 68
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 7527
Location: Atlanta
us.gif

Side note here, a player of general interest. Never heard of this guy until this morning. At 7'-5" , he would be the first predominantly Indian player in the NBA. Think Yao Ming. Sim has a very nice set shot. I am NOT promoting him for the Lakers.

kkennon1
votes: 23
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14354
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif

TheInfamous55 wrote:
He (Embiid) may be good but definitely will not be great. I'd take Gordon before Embiid. I wouldn't consider to mess with the cracked back and the Ming foot. Same goes for Randal. His foot makes him sketchy especially that he's already having problems dealing with bigger guys. Either way the FO ought to hold on with their pick unless it is worth trading for.

How are these mock drafts constructed anyway... On the needs of teams?

So you would pass on a possible franchise center, to draft a guy that some mock drafts are saying could only be a career back up in Gordon. And randle's foot is minor, it only a screw that has to be fixed.

BaadMaster
votes: 98
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8624

Skyeword wrote:
Side note here, a player of general interest. Never heard of this guy until this morning. At 7'-5" , he would be the first predominantly Indian player in the NBA. Think Yao Ming. Sim has a very nice set shot. I am NOT promoting him for the Lakers.

Sim City!!! (Thanks for the clip.)

Tempy
votes: 51
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12893
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif

Purpcity24s wrote:
That's because we had an old team playing a fast pace offense your not going to stay healthy for 82 games playing at that pace your body would eventually breakdown...

Jordan Farmar age 27, played 41 games

Nick Young age 29 played 64 games

Xavier Henry age 23 played 43 games

I will count Kobe here because he clearly should not have came back when he did.

userpete1037
votes: 18
LNS HOF Platinum
Posts: 20286
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif

If and only if by some chance Embiid falls to us....HELL YEAH!!!!!!

lepcitylakers
votes: 2
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 819

1 embiid 2 exum 3 smart 4 randle 5 Payton... No more players should be considered unless somehow the top few fall.


Options Quick Reply: RE: Should the Lakers Take a Chance on Joel Embiid?
register
You are an anonymous user- or .
Quote the last message
Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)
Notify me when a reply is posted
Don't Check Spelling
Note: Twitter & Youtube BBCODE Tags are no longer necessary. The system will automatically convert links to tweets & youtube videos.
   


   
   
register
You are an anonymous user- Register now or Log in Now!