A Familiar Song and Dance from Kobe. But Will it Last?

Lakers Forum » Lakers General Discussions
Poll
How long will assist-happy "Kobe-Magic" last before he customarily reverts to the shoot-first, score-first mentality Kobe?
1 more week
17%
 17%  [5]
1 more month
0%
 0%  [0]
Kobe will shock us all and play unselfish basketball for virtually the rest of the season
62%
 62%  [18]
Kobe's already tired of passing. Next game he's going iso-crazy and jacking up 25+ shots
20%
 20%  [6]
Total Votes : 29

Author Search This Topic:
 
lakeshowsd
votes: 145
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14659
Location: North Bend, OR
us.gif

Many times in past seasons, when the Lakers have struggled to find team chemistry, Kobe has changed his game for small stretches of time and become a pass-first, playmaking guard rather than being the shoot-first scoring guard that he much prefers to be. The results of Kobe playing a more unselfish style have almost always been extremely positive for the Lakers in past seasons, but it's a style of play that is unnatural for Kobe's scoring mentality and therefore never sustained for the length of an NBA season.

Kobe's in the midst of one of his "unselfish" stretches of play and once again the results are predictably positive for the Lakers. But as I alluded to above, in the past it has never taken long for Kobe to revert back to his trigger happy scoring tendencies.

Now by Kobe's own admission, this current Laker squad is the most talented NBA team he's ever been on (not counting All-Star teams), so logically there's virtually no justification for Kobe reverting back to consistently playing his customary scoring role. That's clearly not what we need from Kobe Bryant on THIS CURRENT Laker team and D'Antoni system. In fact, the Lakers have found very little success this season when Kobe is more of a scorer and less of a playmaker.

So the question remains: How long can Kobe keep this up? Is he willing, able, and disciplined enough to permanently change his game for the benefit of his very talented teammates Gasol, Howard, Peace, Nash, Clark, Jamison, etc...? Will pass-happy Kobe-Magic continue to rack up assists and help keep everyone involved, while curbing his own scoring tendencies, and if so, how long will it last? I'll leave that for you all to decide.

AyeDGAF
votes: 7
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 6060
Location: Northridge, Los Angeles
rp.gif

i hope he continues this kind of game.. also im loving Nash role atm.. hes a great shooter and he has been a good hockey assist player..

TimmyDoe
votes: 22
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1580

I completely agree with the OP. Same goes for "taking on a more defensive role". He backs up his talk, but only for a short stretch. Idk what more to say

Mamba247
votes: 49
Laker GM

Posts: 3032

gm.gif

Nash is turning into our closer, he is incredible in clutch situations. We now have Nash at the helm with him looking to score more in crunch time and at the same he knows he has Kobe on the wing or elbow who can make the play for himself or dish it right back to NAsh for the open shot. Amazing outlook if we continue to close out games that way.

Shaq
votes: 25
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 887

Kobe will keep passing the ball as long as Gasol, MWP, Clark, Howard, Jamison, Meeks, Nash keep playing at today's numbers and efforts. Otherwise, he will turn Kobeball again trying to solve anything by himself

Browns-a-Clown
votes: 16
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1908
Location: France
fr.gif

^Great question.

If he becomes "MMJ" (Mostly Magic Johnson, lol) for the rest of his career, he will, very likely, and maybe even without question, cement his legacy as the GOAT. He realizes this, and probably realizes that this one, single alteration in his approach could permanently end all the debate -- once and for all. His legacy is paramount to him -- and we could be witnessing history.

Whether he maintains this course of action will ultimately say much about his sports-character, as well as his overall values, IMO.

Time will certainly tell.

KBLO-24_7
votes: 29
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1025

Nash: "I could care less (about my assists), at this point in my career I'm going to do anything to win if that means scoring off of Kobe"

Takes a big man to get that he wasn't winning his way and make the change. It is not just about Kobe, it was Nsh and Dantoni relenting that they would have to let Kobe have the ball and dictate the pace and looks for the roster as it was constructed, will he always average these numbers, no they are crazy, but he can set the table all the time as long as the egos on this team gets he's our best post player, best scorer, and best primary facilitator and should always be given the triple threat to do his damage like a surgeon. There will be nights where he will have to go for 40 but there will be nights where he can simply step back and settle for the teens as well, so he will have to meet somewhere in the middle

bigG
votes: 0
NewsSurge Newbie
Posts: 6

if kobe doesnt realize that with this current laker team after beating okc, lakers will struggle and eventually **** will hit the fan AGAIN!

lakeshowsd
votes: 145
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14659
Location: North Bend, OR
us.gif

Browns-a-Clown wrote:
^Great question.

If he becomes "MMJ" (Mostly Magic Johnson, lol) for the rest of his career, he will, very likely, and maybe even without question, cement his legacy as the GOAT. He realizes this, and probably realizes that this one, single alteration in his approach could permanently end all the debate -- once and for all. His legacy is paramount to him -- and we could be witnessing history.

Whether he maintains this course of action will ultimately say much about his sports-character, as well as his overall values, IMO.

Time will certainly tell.

Yup. I agree with your comments completely. For the remainder of his career, if Kobe continues to consistently showcase the unselfish style of play he's displayed over the last few games, it will undoubtedly raise him up as a basketball legend in my estimation.

It's very interesting because Kobe obviously has the talent to be any kind of player he wants to be. In some ways, it's just unfortunate for us fans that he's been so stubbornly committed to the scoring aspects of his game; particularly in situations when scoring is not what the team most needed from Kobe.

I can only echo your sentiments. Time will tell. However, there should be little debate as to how much better these current Lakers are when everyone is playing team-oriented, unselfish basketball, starting with the team's leader: Kobe Bean Bryant.

KareemAlcindor
votes: 0
NewsSurge Newbie
Posts: 14

Shaq wrote:
Kobe will keep passing the ball as long as Gasol, MWP, Clark, Howard, Jamison, Meeks, Nash keep playing at today's numbers and efforts. Otherwise, he will turn Kobeball again trying to solve anything by himself

Exactly. Funny this is history shows that the same song and dance is Kobe winning rings and playing in finals. Kobe will pass, will they hit the shots? Always the million dollar question. Your post is an excellent one.

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16783
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif

After going through some of the comments from fans (other nba teams) after the game, one thing which resonated in all those posts/comments from the fans of Thunder/ Spurs/Mavericks: They were hoping kobe would revert back to playing hero ball, cause they all knew and understood that was the only chance thunder had to beat us. A facilitating Kobe is not "Good" for the other teams...they would gladly take the scoring kobe over the facilitating kobe..lol

I sincerely hope this new "kobe" is not short lived....and im keeping my fingers crossed that this will last till the end of the season. Kobe please don't tease us anymore...please don't flatter, to decieve...thats all i ask of you. I say this with all humility and modesty, cause in the past my great hopes and expectations from kobe, have got burnt within 48 hours.

I know it is not in his DNA to do this forever, however if he can somehow dig deep inside and find some divine resolve to put team interests before his, i would forever be grateful to him and i will never question his greatness.

TimmyDoe
votes: 22
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1580

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
After going through fans (other nba teams) comments after the game, one thing which resonated in all those posts/comments from the fans of Thunder/ Spurs/Mavericks: People/fans were hoping kobe would revert back to playing hero ball, cause they know and understand that was the only chance thunder had to beat us.

I sincerely hope this new "kobe" is not short lived....and im keeping my fingers crossed that this will last till the end of the season. Kobe please don't tease us anymore...please don't flatter, to decieve...thats all i ask of you. I say this with all humility and modesty, cause in the past my great hopes and expectations from kobe, have got burnt within 48 hours

End of his career. I want LA to win. Razz

XiaoFeiDao
votes: 4
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 924

With the current Lakers players, Kobe has no choice but continuing this type of plays, if even to get Lakers to playoff. Other teams are preparing this type of play from Kobe from now on. Well, it will be some adjustment made from Lakers too.

Enjoy the last two games. Go Lakers!

TimmyDoe
votes: 22
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1580

I think the best way is to play a little bit of both, some nights facilitate, some nights score the ball if he gets the looks. You cant stop a guy who you dont know what to expect from.

ihatehypefans
votes: 5
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 577

I think we should just hope for kobe to be a smart basketball player. simple as that. If theres opportunities to score then score. If his teammates are open pass. Make the right basketball play.

solidlakerfan
votes: 4
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 2426

Yes I believe Kobe can continue this because he has capable team mates now.

ralppcobarde
votes: 28
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 6183

rp.gif

i wont expect Kobe to have 10 plus assists a game. play smart and give hockey assist, we will continue to win. even whoever team we face, this team would be sky high. now, With Pau playing the old Pau . the faster one and efficient. i feel good.

Browns-a-Clown
votes: 16
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1908
Location: France
fr.gif

TimmyDoe wrote:

I think the best way is to play a little bit of both, some nights facilitate, some nights score the ball if he gets the looks. You cant stop a guy who you dont know what to expect from.

Exactly. Nash, as well.

TimmyDoe
votes: 22
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1580

solidlakerfan wrote:
Yes I believe Kobe can continue this because he has capable team mates now.

He's always had capable teammates. So you're saying all of a sudden everyone got better than they were a week ago?

IMO, Kobe Bryant will continue to look to score but will pass when he has to. He will not be getting 10+ assists every night, nor do I even expect him to get 7 or 8 every night. He'll score sometimes, he'll pass sometimes. Basketball isn't a game where you say "keep passing and we will win." Imagine this, Kobe strictly looks to pass and gets teammates involved, he passes up an open layup, open 3 point shot, just so he can share the ball, en route to a guarded shot/turnover. Kobe will take shots when he can/believes he can make it, that will NEVER change. Kobe Bryant is a scorer first. Thats who he is. But I hope he will continue to play smart and look for the best shot possible for the TEAM, not the best shot for himself as we've come accustomed to expect.

KS_v2
votes: 20
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1871

Not possible. Because the team won't be showing such high effort levels in most games.

will_lakers22
votes: 2
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 997

what benefits will it give if we voice out our assumptions?

instead of giving such connotation, biased interpretation or one sided prediction which is not necessary in desperate times like this, let us all unite, together we show what kind of fans we really are. lets just support them,

celebrate and believe like most of us. I mean, yeah, we have different opinion and I RESPECT that, but at the end of the day, the week, the month and the year - - it will still be an opinion because at the end of everything we don't have control over them. we are basically and generally just individuals who love the sport and love the team, but if we are really good and knowledgeable about the game, you wont spend most of your time posting here, because if people here are that knowledgeable and skill-wise good enough, you have probably been playing now in the NBA.

to question such athletes is so EASY, to do what these athletes do night in and night out its F*cking HArd. who are we to judge, we aint perfect.

lets just stick to "Everything changes except change itself"

good day.

Katie
votes: 23
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 5191

This version of Kobe Bryant we watched play the last 2 games is a MVP player.This version of Kobe Bryant is what we need.

je389
votes: 5
Serious Laker Fan
Posts: 300

Winning is in Kobe's DNA. The mentality to win, at whatever cost, is what makes Kobe Bryant who he is. At times he is like an animal acting out of instinct when his trust is gone.The result of this type of play has been detrimental at times, but there have also been times where he has carried a lot of the weight and brought his team to higher levels. He is smart, arrogant, and most importantly good. Like it has been said numerous times, he can be whatever type of player he wants to be and be the best at it. I couldn't stand the way he played for many games this season, as he is partially to blame for the length of time it has taken for the team to gel. But, he is too good, and too smart to revert back to the kobeball play when his team is playing this well. Personally, I think today's Kobe is going to turn into the Kobe for the next season or two, as long as Dwight is there.

Apogeal1
votes: 2
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1001
Location: Los Angeles

KBLO-24_7 wrote:
Nash: "I could care less (about my assists), at this point in my career I'm going to do anything to win if that means scoring off of Kobe"

Takes a big man to get that he wasn't winning his way and make the change. It is not just about Kobe, it was Nsh and Dantoni relenting that they would have to let Kobe have the ball and dictate the pace and looks for the roster as it was constructed, will he always average these numbers, no they are crazy, but he can set the table all the time as long as the egos on this team gets he's our best post player, best scorer, and best primary facilitator and should always be given the triple threat to do his damage like a surgeon. There will be nights where he will have to go for 40 but there will be nights where he can simply step back and settle for the teens as well, so he will have to meet somewhere in the middle

Hmmm, choice number 'not up there'. It's amazing that Kobe can be the best scorer, a great defender, and a great facilitatior, in other words, a master of every facet of the game -- and yet, receive no credit for taking up the slack for what other's are supposed to bring to the table. Seems like there are just no shades of gray for Kobe.

maraud
votes: 28
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 5827

Katie wrote:
This version of Kobe Bryant we watched play the last 2 games is a MVP player.This version of Kobe Bryant is what we need.

I agree.

LALayup
votes: 125
LNS HOF Silver

Posts: 13693
Location: RRTX

I don't want to make any predictions because I'm hoping for the best. I hope this lasts for the rest of his career. But in general I think the temptation will be higher vs. teams we consider to be lesser opponents for Kobe to revert to some bad team habits of the past. I think he knows instinctively that they need to play the "right way" against good teams if they're going to have any chance of competing. But...the standard has been set for success so it's a little harder to stray away from it in a season where every single "W" is absolutely crucial.

Abaloz
votes: 11
Laker GM
Posts: 4151
Location: Granada Hills, CA
us.gif

Hope Kobe continues this role

makeman
votes: 5
Laker GM
Posts: 3293

us.gif

No he too moody

granpatron24
votes: 5
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 798
Location: Portland
mx.gif

In upcoming games, teams will see in their scouting report Kobe is passing more and will try to take away those driving kickouts in the paint. If Kobe can adjust to the adjustments teams make defensively, then I see Kobe really giving us something no other team in the NBA can match. I liked the ball movement, Earl Clark defense On Durant, Nash being more assertive offensively. Let's hope they can keep this up.

TheSHOEMAKER
votes: 4
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1055

I truly believe we could see this new Kobe for the remainder of the season. Why I think that is because in the past the Lakers would go through a tough patch of games and go on a small losing streak and Kobe would change his game to get a W. But this year the Lakers are having a bad YEAR. Kobe needs to play this way for the Lakers to make the playoffs whereas in the past the team was a top 3 team in the conference. I do think Kobe will still have his fair share of games where he shoots too much but for the most part I think he'll be looking to keep everyone involved. Because if Dwight isn't happy he could be gone at season's end and next years team would be much worse off. I could be dead wrong but I hope I'm not.

TheStormView
votes: 3
Serious Laker Fan
Posts: 279

maraud wrote:
Katie wrote:
This version of Kobe Bryant we watched play the last 2 games is a MVP player.This version of Kobe Bryant is what we need.

I agree.

If THIS version of Kobe Bryant plays the rest of the year and the Lakers make the playoffs.

KOBE=MVP

lakeshowsd
votes: 145
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14659
Location: North Bend, OR
us.gif

KS_v2 wrote:
Not possible. Because the team won't be showing such high effort levels in most games.

It's possible but I find it highly unlikely, and for different reasons that one's you stated above. I trust that the effort level will remain consistent enough to warrant that Kobe should indeed continue to play unselfish, team-oriented basketball far more often than not. Honestly, is there ever really a good excuse for giving up on team ball? In my opinion, the answer is a resounding no. Sometimes shots will fall and sometimes they won't, but as a general rules one must NOT simply give up on trusting one's teammates and try to do it all by oneself. It's evident that Kobe can no longer carry the Lakers to victory with his strategy of trying to shoot the team to wins. That worked in years past, but no longer. If that's not entirely evident to Kobe's fans at this point, then one could argue that they are as stubborn and slow on the uptake as Kobe's been up for most of this season.

GhostNugget
votes: 18
Laker GM
Posts: 4087
Location: Yorba Linda, CA

Kobe just wants to win. He knows his legacy is up to rings.

KS_v2
votes: 20
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1871

lakeshowsd wrote:
KS_v2 wrote:
Not possible. Because the team won't be showing such high effort levels in most games.

It's possible but I find it highly unlikely, and for different reasons that one's you stated above. I trust that the effort level will remain consistent enough to warrant that Kobe should indeed continue to play unselfish, team-oriented basketball far more often than not. Honestly, is there ever really a good excuse for giving up on team ball? In my opinion, the answer is a resounding no. Sometimes shots will fall and sometimes they won't, but as a general rules one must NOT simply give up on trusting one's teammates and try to do it all by oneself. It's evident that Kobe can no longer carry the Lakers to victory with his strategy of trying to shoot the team to wins. That worked in years past, but no longer. If that's not entirely evident to Kobe's fans at this point, then one could argue that they are as stubborn and slow on the uptake as Kobe's been up for most of this season.

Teamball works when players are moving, open for passes, hustling AND can make the shots.

It's one thing to give up on the team when they've played consistently for most of the season ( which they haven't ) but entirely different when their effort levels fluctuate on a game to game basis ( which is what has been happening )

MAGICLAKEZ
votes: 70
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 16783
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif
Team ball is an unconditional norm/pre-requisite in a team oriented sport, irrespective of the fact that the players make their shots or fall short. Why have have a team in the first place, if we lay down such ridiculous conditions. Excuses about Kobe not trusting his teammates have become boring and irritating. It is just a convenient means of legitimizing his extravagances on the court. As I see it Kobe took over (shot over 25 FGA) in almost 30 games. How come we lost most of those games? The team mates were irrelevant in those games and Kobe resorted to Kobe....

lakeshowsd
votes: 145
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14659
Location: North Bend, OR
us.gif

The above poster is 100 percent correct. When a certain style of play from a superstar produces the desired result (namely wins) it's puzzling why that same superstar would stubbornly continue to play with a style that leads to failure more often than not. That has been the root of my frustration with Kobe Bryant for most of this season.

Largely due to Kobe's revised style of play, the last few games have been a brief respite from the tedium of this Laker season, and nobody wants this beautifully unselfish display of basketball to continue more than some of Kobe's harshest critics on this site.

SPQR
votes: 291
LNS HOF Bronze

Posts: 9286
Location: Pennsylvania
Steve, Terrific post as usual. And of course the question you ask is very logical. And how Kobe answers it will tell what happens to this team the rest of the year. You are exactly right. In the past, when the teamates got too upset, when things were going wrong, Kobe has done this before. And sure as the sun comes up, he eventually went back to ego Kobe ball. It happened in each of the last two years. Kobe will have some hard tests ahead to see if he is really commited to this only sane road, or whether he will choose the road to oblivion for him and his team again. There will be games when he facilitates and we don't win. There will be games when he facilitates and his teamates are not playing good. And during and after those games, will he return to the oblivion of Kobeball? Or will he stay the course? Lastly, as time goes on, his ego will call to him. That old siren song. It will say, score, score, score. Thats what you want to do. Will he answer that call or not? Kobe has showed that he can effect this team in a stunning way as facilitor. Even better at 34, on this team, than Kobe the the shooter. Kobe the facilitator is exactly what this team needs to be as good as it can get. Kobeball, as has been already proven the last three years, is not going to get this team close to contention. There is a lot riding on him now. Not only does he have to stay the course, or we are cooked, but our current predicament is on him. He waited way to long to do what was so obvious for him to do. Instead, he just kept playing that Kobeball that....

Olisa91de
votes: 2
Casual Laker Fan
Posts: 123

solidlakerfan wrote:
Yes I believe Kobe can continue this because he has capable team mates now.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

the most important comment on this thread. Because Kobe gets labelled as a ballhog all too often. Yes he does go on his shooting tangents, but that was mostly because his teammates defer to him and his natural instinct of shooter kicks in.

So its not a question of will kobe continue to pass.. its one of will Pau continue to be aggressive? will dwight finish at the rim? will dwight knock down free throws? will Meeks/MWP/Jamison knock down open shoots?....If not, Kobe may revert back to his aggressive game. but can you blame him

ralppcobarde
votes: 28
LNS HOF Bronze
Age: 25
Posts: 6183

rp.gif

i said it earlier this season. when he plays as a facilitator, we have a better chance of winning. but then again, Nash was injured earlier in the season,Blake Injured,Coach was changed,Hill injured, Stubborness of Mike D'Antoni system,Pau and Howard is also nursing injuries. and a true fact this four guys only played 150-200 minutes this season. i praise the way Kobe changed his game this way, but im curious on what they've talked about in that team meeting. the team concept looks different, they seem to adjust and have found a new role. our pace was slowed down, Gasol was closer to the basket, Clark has been superb,Meeks and Jamison doesnt look like one dimensional players. i also credit the other players for their sacrifices for one thing: is to win. Gasol finally accepted his bench role was huge.

Im always optimistic and a believer that this Kobe will turn this thing around us. what i like about this team is, everyone look very talkative, they are not dead scared to approach Kobe and say. hey we need to play each other,share the ball. Nash and others have said that to the media and i think the honesty will surely help this team. Kobe and Pau duo is still dead scary in the clutch add in Nash,. For Dwight, instead of being free.....it's fee throws for him LMAO!

gemfow
votes: 181
LNS HOF Silver

Posts: 12402
Location: Maryland
us.gif
I don't know what's mreo frustrating, seeing Kobe play this way when it has been needed for years or seeing LTB members just say things to strip Kobe of any responsibility. When its brought forth that Kobe shoots too much, this is what is said by certain members: 1) he's a SG, he is suppose to score 2) teammates defer to him 3) guys are missing shots( even though Kobe has put up 7 shots and the game clock says 12:05) 4) teammates aren't hitting shots 5) his teammates are garbage 6) he's won five rings playing like this Now with the last two games done and finished and two wins: 1) his teammates are hitting shots 2) he has teammates who are capable 3) guys are making shots 4) players are moving without the ball For some reason, Kobe never has to shoulder any of the Lakers' problems from certain members. Bottom line, Kobe has the ball a lot on this team, sometimes mre than the pg. maybe desperation has kicked in, but Kobe is playing good ball, team ball. He's driving for the purpose of kicking it out for easy shots. People play harder when the ball is moving, most people who play ball know this. People like to score, they like to get shots and some people have a higher emphasis on it than others. The Aston guys are moving around now is that they feel they can actually receive a pass. Guys are hitting shots because they are moving the ball off Kobe's penetration. Lo and behold guys look better on defense too because maybe it feels good to,play like you're needed on offense as well, not just defense and rebounding. Laker fans have been sounding very much like Philly fans in regards tomIverson when he played there. They....

KS_v2
votes: 20
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1871

Gem, I don't know if that post was addressed to me but I'd be more than glad to respond if it were. I haven't said it's not Kobe's fault at all but have said it isn't his fault alone. There's nothing black and white with regards to Kobe's impact on the team except that he makes them better.

It's kind of like the chicken-egg corundum. There's two sides :

  1. Kobe's play should be constant regardless of the team's efforts.

  2. Team's effort should be constant regardless of Kobe's play.

Both sides have valid arguments and I've stated mine over the course of the season why I think #2 is the standard right now and is a better option since Kobe's play is usually at an elite level and making it known that the team has got to earn the win is gonna help make them more consistent and confident in their belief once the POs come.

Browns-a-Clown
votes: 16
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1908
Location: France
fr.gif

KareemAlcindor wrote:
Shaq wrote:
Kobe will keep passing the ball as long as Gasol, MWP, Clark, Howard, Jamison, Meeks, Nash keep playing at today's numbers and efforts. Otherwise, he will turn Kobeball again trying to solve anything by himself

Exactly. Funny this is history shows that the same song and dance is Kobe winning rings and playing in finals. Kobe will pass, will they hit the shots? Always the million dollar question. Your post is an excellent one.

Just like Kobe is allowed to solve his own sh!t -- he needs to allow his teammates to solve their own sh!t, IMO.

Browns-a-Clown
votes: 16
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1908
Location: France
fr.gif

maraud wrote:
Katie wrote:
This version of Kobe Bryant we watched play the last 2 games is a MVP player.This version of Kobe Bryant is what we need.

I agree.

Me three.

KS_v2
votes: 20
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1871

Browns-a-Clown wrote:
KareemAlcindor wrote:
Shaq wrote:
Kobe will keep passing the ball as long as Gasol, MWP, Clark, Howard, Jamison, Meeks, Nash keep playing at today's numbers and efforts. Otherwise, he will turn Kobeball again trying to solve anything by himself

Exactly. Funny this is history shows that the same song and dance is Kobe winning rings and playing in finals. Kobe will pass, will they hit the shots? Always the million dollar question. Your post is an excellent one.

Just like Kobe is allowed to solve his own sh!t -- he needs to allow his teammates to solve their own sh!t, IMO.

Except that Kobe doesn't have the need to solve his own sh!t every other game , unlike the rest of the team has required for large parts of the season.

Look, I don't hate teamball or giving space for everyone to breathe. Lots of our players have under-performed for large portions of the season.

When 1 or 2 players are in a slump, it'd make sense to criticize Kobe if he doesn't play within the shackles of the O.

When it's almost half the team that's in a slump or out, I don't think it's fair to Kobe to call his play "selfish" or "Kobeball" when he's trying to win by doing what he does best, outscoring the opposing team because our D sure as hell was non-existent for many a game, Kobe included.

I don't think Kobe really sabotaged the team's chances many times in our losses. Certainly not enough to be branded as " a player who plays for his own stats."

Most gameday threads reflect the same. His overall game was usually agreed to be suitable for the situation the team faced while on O while being lacking on D. Rarely was his play called detrimental to the team's offensive flow.

Honestly, how exactly has Kobe largely played Kobeball this season?? Assuming Kobe ball does mean that he destroy an O that is actually flowing in that particular game, how many times has Kobe actually broken the game up?

Now, how many times has Kobe actually been the reason our O has been passable at different points of the season?

It's unfair to Kobe to term his mentality as "averse to team play" and "selfish" and "stubborn" when he hasn't had a complete team or consistent effort when their shot has deserted them.

gemfow
votes: 181
LNS HOF Silver

Posts: 12402
Location: Maryland
us.gif

KS_v2 wrote:
Gem, I don't know if that post was addressed to me but I'd be more than glad to respond if it were. I haven't said it's not Kobe's fault at all but have said it isn't his fault alone. There's nothing black and white with regards to Kobe's impact on the team except that he makes them better.

It's kind of like the chicken-egg corundum. There's two sides :

  1. Kobe's play should be constant regardless of the team's efforts.

  2. Team's effort should be constant regardless of Kobe's play.

Both sides have valid arguments and I've stated mine over the course of the season why I think #2 is the standard right now and is a better option since Kobe's play is usually at an elite level and making it known that the team has got to earn the win is gonna help make them more consistent and confident in their belief once the POs come.

Ksv2: I wouldn't secretly address anybody, I would address that individual like I normally do. I see where you're coming from but here is the problem with #2, we are dealing with human beings. Guys play with emotion and after a while it gets tiring, frustrating, irritating when as a player you feel that you're not being involved but you should always bust your tail on the defensive side of the court. I'm not saying you're wrong, but just from a standpoint of emotions and egos that won't wrk too often, not with these players who aren't a Tyrone Hill, a Ben Wallace or Rodman.

KS_v2
votes: 20
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1871
Glad that's cleared out. I don't disagree with you one bit. That kind of play DOES come under the Kobeball umbrella. But here's the problem : The team hasn't been in such a situation too many times this season. Kobe trying to get the team going at the start of games has been the norm this season. It's when the team doesn't take advantage of it AND when the team's D is lacking that Kobe starts trying to outscore the opposing team because logically speaking, the best chance of victory with no D is having a great O to offset the defensive liabilities. Since "Kobeball" is being considered as a significant problem that has prevented Lakers from amassing more victories and a winning record, let's look at our losses. For example, lets consider the " >30 points and Lakers record" stat. Certainly a popular stat in one section of Lakerland. Most guys who go about posting that stat don't ever think for a second about how the rest of the team's shooting compared to Kobe's or how non-existent the D is. Since you have watched the games, try to answer these off the top of your head : How many times has the situation you put forth exactly played out?? To elaborate, in how many games have you noted a sharp decrease in our team's effort levels as Kobe's PPG or touches increase over the course of the game?? How many times has it been our non-existent D regardless of the team's and Kobe's play that's cost us games? How many times has Kobe's play been detrimental to the stellar play of a certain individual? 3.a.Was it because Kobe stopped passing the ball or the defense started swarming him? 3.b. If it's the former, how many times in those cases has Kobe's subsequent play actually been less efficient than that particular....

SourceCode
votes: 26
Laker GM
Posts: 3714

hopefully he sustains his play, along with the rest of the team; I like the fact that they all have made adjustments, sacrificing, and elevating each others play, ultimately bettering the team. I believe there will be games where he's the more aggressive scorer, but for the most part, magic mamba should last for the rest of the season.

userpete1037
votes: 18
LNS HOF Platinum

Posts: 20294
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif

SourceCode wrote:
hopefully he sustains his play, along with the rest of the team; I like the fact that they all have made adjustments, sacrificing, and elevating each others play, ultimately bettering the team. I believe there will be games where he's the more aggressive scorer, but for the most part, magic mamba should last for the rest of the season.

Man that's a great gif.....

renteria24
votes: 9
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1306

us.gif
According to Phil jackson, Kobe knows he has to play a team oriented game to win in the playoffs. He said kobe pretty much plays for himself in the season but isnt dumb and knows he needs his team to win a ship i.e. 5 championships. Here's the quote... "Sometimes [Bryant] needs to overwhelm the rest of the ballclub's necessity. ... As we get into the playoffs, that'll dissipate, because he knows that he's got to put his ego aside and conform to what we have to do if we're going to go anywhere in the playoffs. Any player that takes....

KS_v2
votes: 20
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1871
renteria24 wrote:
According to Phil jackson, Kobe knows he has to play a team oriented game to win in the playoffs. He said kobe pretty much plays for himself in the season but isnt dumb and knows he needs his team to win a ship i.e. 5 championships. Here's the quote... "Sometimes [Bryant] needs to overwhelm the rest of the ballclub's necessity. ... As we get into the playoffs, that'll dissipate, because he knows that he's got to put his ego aside and conform to what we have to do if we're going to go anywhere in the playoffs. Any player that takes....


Options Quick Reply: RE: A Familiar Song and Dance from Kobe. But Will it Last?
register
You are an anonymous user- or .
Quote the last message
Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)
Notify me when a reply is posted
Don't Check Spelling
Note: Twitter & Youtube BBCODE Tags are no longer necessary. The system will automatically convert links to tweets & youtube videos.
   


   
   
register
You are an anonymous user- Register now or Log in Now!