New Mobile-Friendly Modifications to the Site

Lakers Forum » Lakers Topbuzz Announcements
Author Search This Topic:
 
Dave
votes: 45
Site Admin
Posts: 5372

us.gif


Repped High Quality Post

Hi guys I've made quite a few changes to help make LTB easier to browse and use on a mobile phone/cell phone browser. These changes do alter the look of the site on desktop as well. The one big change as I'm sure you've noticed is that the entire left column is gone. This is to help maximize the screen real-estate when you are browsing on a phone.

I also made many small changes on the view topic page. For instance it should now be easier to navigate a thread (going to the next page, previous page, etc) as the space between the links (now look now buttons) are larger. The spacing between some of the small icons have been increased also.

If you have any feedback or issues please reply to this thread, and I will look into it. Thanks guys!

KB24*BM
votes: 33
Laker GM
Posts: 4393

great news

L4K
votes: 61
LNS HOF Bronze

Posts: 8306
Location: Sydney, Australia
it.gif

I thought something was up, but just assumed it was a server overload. I have noticed that the page numbers on the bottom of the site are a bit erratic at the moment, but I don't know if that's just me or not.

CueTheRain
votes: 8
Serious Laker Fan
Posts: 275
Location: Los Angeles

Hey, thanks for making the change. I usually check Topbuzz on my phone, so this helps a lot.

Katie
votes: 23
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 5191

Hey,Dave it's still user friendly even from a lap top.It's much easier for phone users i am sure.Good job with the site Dave.Smile

Abaloz
votes: 11
Laker GM
Posts: 4151
Location: Granada Hills, CA
us.gif

So is there a new website for it? It still looks the same to me when I browse

Dave
votes: 45
Site Admin
Posts: 5372

us.gif

Thanks guys- yeah I'm eager to hear how it looks on a variety of phones. The experience was much better on my phone (a Motorola Android phone) after these changes, but I'd like hear how it is on an iPhone and other popular phones as well.

Dave
votes: 45
Site Admin
Posts: 5372

us.gif

AbalosMusic wrote:
So is there a new website for it? It still looks the same to me when I browse

Nope- same site- does it fit on the screen better for you now?

Abaloz
votes: 11
Laker GM
Posts: 4151
Location: Granada Hills, CA
us.gif

Actually it's a Lil better... Now that I see it. Was a n iphone user for 4yrs and been browsing ltb on it... Wasn't that great doh. At couple of weeks ago, I I got the s3 and ditched apple for DROID. Bigger screen. It looks good on Android. Keep it up Dave, and hopefully u can fully integrate it into a mobile Site. Here Thnx for the hard work.

rdg0917
votes: 4
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1381
Location: North Carolina
us.gif

I'm not a big fan of the changes. It was much better the way it was. I liked being able to go back to the home page and refresh the page that way. Now you have to hit the back button then click refresh.

Abaloz
votes: 11
Laker GM
Posts: 4151
Location: Granada Hills, CA
us.gif

If u jus integrate it into tap talk. It wud b awesome!

113
votes: 7
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1587

I was wondering why it looked different. I approve cause I use LTB on my phone quite a bit.

TheSHOEMAKER
votes: 4
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1055

rdg0917 wrote:
I'm not a big fan of the changes. It was much better the way it was. I liked being able to go back to the home page and refresh the page that way. Now you have to hit the back button then click refresh.

You can click on the Lakers Topbuzz logo at the top of the page that works basically like the home button did.

LakerLuv24
votes: 1
Serious Laker Fan
Posts: 295

Its so much better and easier to navigate now!! I used to always have a hard time switching between the pages. Great improvement!

Dave
votes: 45
Site Admin
Posts: 5372

us.gif

rdg0917 wrote:
I'm not a big fan of the changes. It was much better the way it was. I liked being able to go back to the home page and refresh the page that way. Now you have to hit the back button then click refresh.

You can use the menu that expands from the plus sign. And yeah alternatively u can click the ltb banner up top or click the "go home" link at the bottom.

kbp24
votes: 40
LNS HOF Silver

Posts: 14862

Lakers4Kobe wrote:
I thought something was up, but just assumed it was a server overload. I have noticed that the page numbers on the bottom of the site are a bit erratic at the moment, but I don't know if that's just me or not.

Haha Thats what I thought at first. And yes the page numbers on mine are erratic as well. I use LTB on my iPhone quite a bit. I was fine with the old version...but this new version is definitely more mobile friendly. The only thing i don't like is that it changed the desktop site too. I wish the desktop site stayed the same.

MemphisLakerToni
votes: 3
Casual Laker Fan
Posts: 114

Good job Dave, I was really confused at 1st but I get it now

Dave
votes: 45
Site Admin
Posts: 5372

us.gif


Repped High Quality Post

kbp24 wrote:
Lakers4Kobe wrote:
I thought something was up, but just assumed it was a server overload. I have noticed that the page numbers on the bottom of the site are a bit erratic at the moment, but I don't know if that's just me or not.

Haha Thats what I thought at first. And yes the page numbers on mine are erratic as well. I use LTB on my iPhone quite a bit. I was fine with the old version...but this new version is definitely more mobile friendly. The only thing i don't like is that it changed the desktop site too. I wish the desktop site stayed the same.

Kbp24 & L4k- are the page numbers still looking odd?

kbp24
votes: 40
LNS HOF Silver

Posts: 14862

Dave wrote:
kbp24 wrote:
Lakers4Kobe wrote:
I thought something was up, but just assumed it was a server overload. I have noticed that the page numbers on the bottom of the site are a bit erratic at the moment, but I don't know if that's just me or not.

Haha Thats what I thought at first. And yes the page numbers on mine are erratic as well. I use LTB on my iPhone quite a bit. I was fine with the old version...but this new version is definitely more mobile friendly. The only thing i don't like is that it changed the desktop site too. I wish the desktop site stayed the same.

Kbp24 & L4k- are the page numbers still looking odd?

Yeah its less erratic. And its different from the original page numbers.

L4K
votes: 61
LNS HOF Bronze

Posts: 8306
Location: Sydney, Australia
it.gif

Dave,

Page numbers are different but fine now. They're a little more spaced out but before they we're going down the page vertically lol. It's fine now.

renteria24
votes: 9
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1306

us.gif

Hey its progress dave. Cant complain. Life is a little easier on here. Thanks

Teddy
votes: 25
LNS HOF Bronze

Posts: 5081
Location: La Habra, California

Anyone else have Mozilla Firefox and can't see the Stars right next to Our Votes. In fact, I can't even see the "Moderator" label on anyone either. On Opera I can see that stuff not on Firefox though.

LakeRobert
votes: 17
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1440
Location: Michigan

Hey Dave -

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this but a "home" tab in the upper left or upper top section would be useful. I know you can get to it by hovering over the "+" tab, but a direct link would useful too.

Teddy
votes: 25
LNS HOF Bronze

Posts: 5081
Location: La Habra, California

LakeRobert wrote:
Hey Dave -

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this but a "home" tab in the upper left or upper top section would be useful. I know you can get to it by hovering over the "+" tab, but a direct link would useful too.

There's no need. You can click the Logo at the top to re-direct you to the home screen. I bet a lot of people didn't know that.

Katie
votes: 23
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 5191

Dave wrote:
Hi guys I've made quite a few changes to help make LTB easier to browse and use on a mobile phone/cell phone browser. These changes do alter the look of the site on desktop as well. The one big change as I'm sure you've noticed is that the entire left column is gone. This is to help maximize the screen real-estate when you are browsing on a phone.

I also made many small changes on the view topic page. For instance it should now be easier to navigate a thread (going to the next page, previous page, etc) as the space between the links (now look now buttons) are larger. The spacing between some of the small icons have been increased also.

If you have any feedback or issues please reply to this thread, and I will look into it. Thanks guys!

Good post Dave,i gave you a rep for the good post and LTB improvements.Keep up the good work. clapping-hands

hamid
votes: 8
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1797
Location: Denmark
da.gif

Dave wrote:
Thanks guys- yeah I'm eager to hear how it looks on a variety of phones. The experience was much better on my phone (a Motorola Android phone) after these changes, but I'd like hear how it is on an iPhone and other popular phones as well.

Great news can't wait to check it out when I get a new phone. You see I am on vacation and I had my phone in my back pocket so I jumped into the pool and when I came up 30min later i found out that Samsung Galaxy s3 is not water proof 8)

I will deff. hit you back

Rhythms
votes: 3
Serious Laker Fan
Posts: 207

Running a windows phone and it looks pretty great. The page numbers are a ton easier to press now. My only complaint is that the "go to top" and "go home" buttons are a little small

shmeeze
votes: 4
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1103

aq.gif

looks good on the iphone

JChrist101
votes: 22
Laker GM
Posts: 2931

Can we get rid of this Blue plus sign thing, it continues to get in my way of typing all the time through post. I don't even know what it's function is.

shmeeze
votes: 4
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1103

aq.gif

its a jump screen to the home menu, works great for me.

Dave
votes: 45
Site Admin
Posts: 5372

us.gif

JChrist101 wrote:
Can we get rid of this Blue plus sign thing, it continues to get in my way of typing all the time through post. I don't even know what it's function is.

TERRY-TEAGLE contacted me about this issue too. Are you using an iPhone as well? I'm having problem duplicating the problem- can you take a screenshot of it getting in your way? Thanks.

SPQR
votes: 291
LNS HOF Bronze

Posts: 9286
Location: Pennsylvania

Dave,

I have to admit, I miss the scrolling EVERYTHING ELSE thing on the right side of the page when I log in with my PC. It was great to see so easily any new posts there.

Dave
votes: 45
Site Admin
Posts: 5372

us.gif

^^Randy- it's still there- unless you're talking about positioning? It has been moved down just a little, since I had to move the Search box from the now gone left column to the right column.

SPQR
votes: 291
LNS HOF Bronze

Posts: 9286
Location: Pennsylvania

lol,

It wasn't a few minutes ago. Now it is. I think it was the traffic Dave.

Teddy
votes: 25
LNS HOF Bronze

Posts: 5081
Location: La Habra, California


Repped High Quality Post

Dave wrote:
JChrist101 wrote:
Can we get rid of this Blue plus sign thing, it continues to get in my way of typing all the time through post. I don't even know what it's function is.

TERRY-TEAGLE contacted me about this issue too. Are you using an iPhone as well? I'm having problem duplicating the problem- can you take a screenshot of it getting in your way? Thanks.

I've got 2 screen shots dave, 1 vertical 1 horizontal.

It's no big deal, but it does tend to get in the way. Only while typing a message though.

Dave
votes: 45
Site Admin
Posts: 5372

us.gif

SPQR wrote:
lol,

It wasn't a few minutes ago. Now it is. I think it was the traffic Dave.

Yup- that's it- site is being bombarded right now.

Dave
votes: 45
Site Admin
Posts: 5372

us.gif

Thanks for the screen shots FISH! I'll try to think of something to prevent that + from getting in the way.

Dave
votes: 45
Site Admin
Posts: 5372

us.gif

Okay for those of you having issues with the + sign pull out menu popping out inadvertently and affecting the post box, try it again now. I've made it so that you have to click the + sign in order to expand the menu.

Teddy
votes: 25
LNS HOF Bronze

Posts: 5081
Location: La Habra, California

Dave,

It's working like a charm. Thanks a lot for that. Although it was no biggie. BTW, thanks for the rep Very Happy.

LALayup
votes: 125
LNS HOF Silver

Posts: 13693
Location: RRTX

I'll check it on my droid. Great idea. I had given up on phone access before. I'm sure this will be very helpful Dave.

LALayup
votes: 125
LNS HOF Silver

Posts: 13693
Location: RRTX

hamid wrote:
Great news can't wait to check it out when I get a new phone. You see I am on vacation and I had my phone in my back pocket so I jumped into the pool and when I came up 30min later i found out that Samsung Galaxy s3 is not water proof 8)

I will deff. hit you back

Ouch! That's better than dropping it in the toilet though. I don't wish that experience on anyone else. Toilet monster

LakeRobert
votes: 17
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1440
Location: Michigan

FISH+SWISH wrote:
LakeRobert wrote:
Hey Dave -

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this but a "home" tab in the upper left or upper top section would be useful. I know you can get to it by hovering over the "+" tab, but a direct link would useful too.

There's no need. You can click the Logo at the top to re-direct you to the home screen. I bet a lot of people didn't know that.

Thanks for the tip FISH+SWISH!

TheSHOEMAKER
votes: 4
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1055

Tried the site out on my phone and it was much easier to use this site

L4K
votes: 61
LNS HOF Bronze

Posts: 8306
Location: Sydney, Australia
it.gif

Hey Dave,

The text on the site is compacted for me now, not taking up the length of the screen as it used to.

KS_v2
votes: 20
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1871

Dave, not a fan of the new short compact message viewing part. The older display option which made use of the entire length was much better. It's also looking clunky this way.

Mamba247
votes: 49
Laker GM

Posts: 3032

gm.gif

LakerRRTX wrote:
I'll check it on my droid. Great idea. I had given up on phone access before. I'm sure this will be very helpful Dave.

Dan,

I love using LTB on my droid and the changes to the site makes this experience even better now. Thanks Dave!! Smile

Dave
votes: 45
Site Admin
Posts: 5372

us.gif

Lakers4Kobe wrote:
Hey Dave,

The text on the site is compacted for me now, not taking up the length of the screen as it used to.

L4K, KS_V2- yeah last night I made the post body column fixed length because a lot of times a large image inserted in a thread page will stretch the right edge of the column by a lot, making all posts on the page harder to read (sometimes impossible without using the horizontal scroll bar). This thread is a perfect example with the screen shot which had stretched the right edge of the page too much, but now because of the change, the other posts of the thread are not affected.

But I like to hear more feedback on this. If a lot of people don't like this change, let me know in this thread and I can set it back the way it was.

L4K
votes: 61
LNS HOF Bronze

Posts: 8306
Location: Sydney, Australia
it.gif

Dave,

I'm not a big fan of this compacted style either, I do prefer the older way as well. I'd much rather the site look cleaner on my computer and work around it on my mobile.

Santos888
votes: 0
Casual Laker Fan
Posts: 123

There's should be a Lakers Topbuzz app!


Options Quick Reply: RE: New Mobile-Friendly Modifications to the Site
register
You are an anonymous user- or .
Quote the last message
Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)
Notify me when a reply is posted
Don't Check Spelling
Note: Twitter & Youtube BBCODE Tags are no longer necessary. The system will automatically convert links to tweets & youtube videos.
   


   
   
register
You are an anonymous user- Register now or Log in Now!