The Official Lakers Trade Ideas Thread (P. 255)

Lakers News Surge Forum/Message Board » Lakers General Discussions
Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Search This Topic:
 
Ray
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1459
Location: Ray
votes: 21
Tempy wrote:
Well the rookie minimum salary is what is charged for each open roster spot until 12 spots are taken up. This charge is $838,464 this season. For each subsequent season they change in accordance to the salary cap increase. This year it's at $101.9m and you are saying it's at $109m next year. That is a 6.9% increase year over year, so each empty roster spot also increases by that amount. That makes each roster spot a cost of $896,884. 5 roster spots taken, 7 need to be filled to get to 12. Empty roster spots total $6.27 million That would leave around....


Tempy
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12228
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif
votes: 46

Ray wrote:
Yes my numbers are still off and we would only need to fill 6 empty spots, since the 7th spot would be the FA we are signing.

So if I reconfigure with your empty spot salary. Since you are trying to be so exact:

Our total salary would be $78,819,940

Cape space: $30,180,060

Max deal: $32,700,000

So we would be $2,519,940 short of a max deal of any player not named Durant. Do I think we could convince a player that wanted to come here, to take less. Do I know for sure no. I am just simply saying if we traded for AD, us adding another star this summer, is a very real possibility, its not some fairy tail.

Whatever FA we sign would be leaving their original team with bird rights who could of given them more money then anyone, so at that point it's safe to assume that said "FA" is okay with a minor pay cut to be on winning team or else they could have sign a bigger 5 year deal with the team they are leaving. So yes I 100% believe if a max type FA wants to come here next year and we can only offer them $30,180,00, instead of their max, they would take it.

I'm just going off Larry Coons website

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q13

A cap hold called an "incomplete roster charge" if the team has fewer than 12 players (players under contract, free agents included in team salary, players given offer sheets, and first round draft picks). This charge is equal to the rookie minimum salary for each player fewer than 12. For example, if there are 11 players included in team salary, then an amount equal to the rookie minimum salary is added to the team salary5; if the roster is completely empty, then 12 times the rookie minimum salary is added to the team salary. This charge only applies during the offseason.

Maybe my interpretation is wrong but 12 spots must be filled/accounted for. If they signed a player then the amount would change from the minimum charge to whatever the contract was for.


Ray
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1459
Location: Ray
votes: 21

Tempy wrote:
I'm just going off Larry Coons website

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q13

A cap hold called an "incomplete roster charge" if the team has fewer than 12 players (players under contract, free agents included in team salary, players given offer sheets, and first round draft picks). This charge is equal to the rookie minimum salary for each player fewer than 12. For example, if there are 11 players included in team salary, then an amount equal to the rookie minimum salary is added to the team salary5; if the roster is completely empty, then 12 times the rookie minimum salary is added to the team salary. This charge only applies during the offseason.

Maybe my interpretation is wrong but 12 spots must be filled/accounted for. If they signed a player then the amount would change from the minimum charge to whatever the contract was for.

Correct by default it would be Lakers filling 7 spots with rookie minimum. But I'm pretty sure we could offer the FA our cap space plus one of those rookie minimum contract spots, since he would become the 12th player when he signed his deal. It wouldn't make any since for the Lakers to only give a player 29.3 million and then after we sign him, we now have $896,844 in open cap space because we now only need 6 open rooster spots instead of 7.


Ray
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1459
Location: Ray
votes: 21
Something I just read, many feel that Celtics would be are biggest rival in getting AD this year. But they have a hiccup that won't allow them to have both Irving and Davis at the same time this year. Basically both players carry the "designated player tag" and you can only have 1 player on your team with that tag. So the only way they can both Irving and AD, would be for after this year Irving opts out and they resign him and then trade for AD. I feel like AD won't want to join Celtics if....


Tempy
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12228
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif
votes: 46

Ray wrote:
Correct by default it would be Lakers filling 7 spots with rookie minimum. But I'm pretty sure we could offer the FA our cap space plus one of those rookie minimum contract spots, since he would become the 12th player when he signed his deal. It wouldn't make any since for the Lakers to only give a player 29.3 million and then after we sign him, we now have $896,844 in open cap space because we now only need 6 open rooster spots instead of 7.

The roster has to have 12 spots filled and then any remaining money can be offered to free agents. The roster charge reserves a minimum amount of cap space to sign 13 players. Teams are required to have at least 13 players on the roster. So the remaining money is to fulfill that 13th spot on the roster. Teams are not getting that $896,844 back. It's accounted for with the 12th roster spot.


Ray
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1459
Location: Ray
votes: 21

Tempy wrote:
The roster has to have 12 spots filled and then any remaining money can be offered to free agents. The roster charge reserves a minimum amount of cap space to sign 13 players. Teams are required to have at least 13 players on the roster. So the remaining money is to fulfill that 13th spot on the roster. Teams are not getting that $896,844 back. It's accounted for with the 12th roster spot.

Regardless, my only point is if we got AD, us signing another all-star is realistic, its no fairy tail that has 1% of happening. Whatever player we sign would be leaving a bunch of money on the table from their old team, if I had to guess they would be passing up a 5th year in which would be making 40 million. So I feel like leaving 3+ million on the table would be okay, but I dunno its not me, just my thought. I don't think its as far-fetch as you seem to think.


Tempy
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12228
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif
votes: 46

Ray wrote:
Regardless, my only point is if we got AD, us signing another all-star is realistic, its no fairy tail that has 1% of happening. Whatever player we sign would be leaving a bunch of money on the table from their old team, if I had to guess they would be passing up a 5th year in which would be making 40 million. So I feel like leaving 3+ million on the table would be okay, but I dunno its not me, just my thought. I don't think its as far-fetch as you seem to think.

The more moving parts the less likely things are to happen. I don't see the Pelicans trading Davis unless he specifically says he won't re-sign with them. He still has another year on his deal after this season, so I just don't think it's realistic that they trade him before this summer.

If the Lakers sign a Max player this summer then are almost out of the AD sweep stakes. They would also have to get rid of Kuzma and Hart which would leave the depth of the roster in shambles.

Would gladly take being proved wrong on this but I just don't see it happening.


Ray
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1459
Location: Ray
votes: 21

Tempy wrote:
The more moving parts the less likely things are to happen. I don't see the Pelicans trading Davis unless he specifically says he won't re-sign with them. He still has another year on his deal after this season, so I just don't think it's realistic that they trade him before this summer.

If the Lakers sign a Max player this summer then are almost out of the AD sweep stakes. They would also have to get rid of Kuzma and Hart which would leave the depth of the roster in shambles.

Would gladly take being proved wrong on this but I just don't see it happening.

I agree, my wording was more so focused on the Lakers ability to sign another all-star if we some how got AD in a trade this year. I 100% agree he will have to say trade me to LA for him to come here this year, and very good chance that does not happen. That wasn't really my debate when I brought this up. I was simply trying to show numbers of what cap room we had left if we did get AD, wasn't trying to make a case that AD is 100% coming here this year.

If you go back and read, I was more focused on what else we could add to our team if we got AD this year opposed from next year, is all.

So my post were all hypothetical in that fact we traded for AD this year, what could we do next.....


Tempy
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12228
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif
votes: 46

Ray wrote:
I agree, my wording was more so focused on the Lakers ability to sign another all-star if we some how got AD in a trade this year. I 100% agree he will have to say trade me to LA for him to come here this year, and very good chance that does not happen. That wasn't really my debate when I brought this up. I was simply trying to show numbers of what cap room we had left if we did get AD, wasn't trying to make a case that AD is 100% coming here this year.

If you go back and read, I was more focused on what else we could add to our team if we got AD this year opposed from next year, is all.

So my post were all hypothetical in that fact we traded for AD this year, what could we do next.....

Hope that a 3rd star is willing not only to differ the ball to LBJ and AD, but also sacrifice money too?


Ray
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1459
Location: Ray
votes: 21

You keep replying to my comments like I am gurantting that the Lakers will trade for AD and sign another all star this summer.

I am simply showing that if this situation did happen, we would be very close to have enough money to sign another person this summer. That’s all

I am just saying the math would give us a chance to make it work. That’s all.


JJCali
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8216

us.gif
votes: 18

Throw in James to get the Pelicans to say yes!


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 13267
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 20

Please don't let any part of this be true!!!

https://www.bulletsforever.com/platform ... s-rashomon


magic42157
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 586
votes: 7

kkennon1 wrote:
Please don't let any part of this be true!!!

https://www.bulletsforever.com/platform ... s-rashomon

KK - I am with you. Love Wall...... but not for those players and with that contract!!!


BaadMaster
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8103
votes: 98

Wall for Ball and Ingram -- but not Kuzma -- is a great deal!!! I am for it!!!


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 13267
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 20

BaadMaster wrote:
Wall for Ball and Ingram -- but not Kuzma -- is a great deal!!! I am for it!!!

And when he came you would have him on your bum- meter after he wasn't effective anymore, because Lebron would have ball in his hands most of the time and Wall still shoots as bad as Zo. Lol

So they'd be paying a pg, who's not the pg anymore next to Lebron, but also can't shoot this much.

2019-20 - $37.800 million

2020-21 - $40.824 million

2021-22 - $43.848 million

2022-23 - $46.872 million


userpete1037
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 18293
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif
votes: 18

kkennon1 wrote:
Please don't let any part of this be true!!!

https://www.bulletsforever.com/platform ... s-rashomon

I'm a diehard Kentucky Basketball fan but no please....lol.


MAGICLAKEZ
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14739
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif
votes: 65

Read somewhere Lakers are eyeing Ariza. That would be an ideal pick up imho without breaking the bank. Also shuts the door on Houston who are (allegedly) trying to make a trade for him.


Tempy
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12228
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif
votes: 46

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:
Read somewhere Lakers are eyeing Ariza. That would be an ideal pick up imho without breaking the bank. Also shuts the door on Houston who are (allegedly) trying to make a trade for him.

On a 1 year deal so doesn't even effect the cap in the summer. Problem is what assets the Lakers have to give up. KCP gets the salary close but the sun's are going to want something of substance. Not sure a 1st round pick is worth it for a half a season rental. (If he doesn't stick around.)


MAGICLAKEZ
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14739
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif
votes: 65

Tempy wrote:
On a 1 year deal so doesn't even effect the cap in the summer. Problem is what assets the Lakers have to give up. KCP gets the salary close but the sun's are going to want something of substance. Not sure a 1st round pick is worth it for a half a season rental. (If he doesn't stick around.)

Yes the expiring contract is a huge plus and the fact that he played with Luke during the championship run. Wish they could offload KCP and maybe some other unwanted bum in a package. Wishful thinking. Lol.


userpete1037
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 18293
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif
votes: 18

After seeing KL perform last night, got to have that dude....Wow.


MAGICLAKEZ
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14739
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif
votes: 65

Wtf? Please don’t do it Magic. Sheesh.


MAGICLAKEZ
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14739
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif
votes: 65


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 13267
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 20

BaadMaster wrote:
Wall for Ball and Ingram -- but not Kuzma -- is a great deal!!! I am for it!!!

Might not be such a good idea to trade Zo yet.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 13267
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 20

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!


MAGICLAKEZ
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 14739
Location: Los Angeles, California
us.gif
votes: 65

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:

Wtf? Please don’t do it Magic. Sheesh.

Phew.... lol


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 13267
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 20

MAGICLAKEZ wrote:

Phew.... lol

Thank the basketball Gods....smh


Angeluus
Big-Time Laker Fan
Posts: 542
votes: 0

Carmelo Anthony is a poison to teams as of late. He was great back in the day but I wouldn't even take him at vet mins now.


userpete1037
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 18293
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif
votes: 18

That shipped sailed many moons ago when Wade and James asked Melo not to sign a long term deal in Denver. On to the next one. Stay thirsty Melo...lol!!!!


BaadMaster
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8103
votes: 98

Maybe get a time machine and keep Randle, he of the 30 points /20 rebounds stat stuffer.


Shepherd
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 10542

ez.gif
votes: 53

kkennon1 wrote:
And when he came you would have him on your bum- meter after he wasn't effective anymore, because Lebron would have ball in his hands most of the time and Wall still shoots as bad as Zo. Lol

So they'd be paying a pg, who's not the pg anymore next to Lebron, but also can't shoot this much.

2019-20 - $37.800 million

2020-21 - $40.824 million

2021-22 - $43.848 million

2022-23 - $46.872 million

No way for Wall. Wall for Ball lol. But I'd do that for Beale all day.


Shepherd
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 10542

ez.gif
votes: 53

Odd how the Lakers keep getting or looking at players now that I was yelling at them to get years ago. Tyson Chandler, Wall, Melo, Rondo, Stevenson, Beasley (all past it now, just sayin'). If only they had listened to me then Wink


Shepherd
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 10542

ez.gif
votes: 53

BaadMaster wrote:
Maybe get a time machine and keep Randle, he of the 30 points /20 rebounds stat stuffer.

Randle isn't even starting, after getting that big contract. And he's on a losing team. Coulda/woulda/shoulda ,huh Randle?


FrankBecerra
Die-Hard Laker Fan
Posts: 1325
Location: Staples Center
votes: 1

bron hasn’t asked the Lakers to sign Melo, he told them to sign him


Shepherd
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 10542

ez.gif
votes: 53

I'd give him a try for cheap. Then at least all the years guys here wanted him, we can say we tried. If it don't work it don't work. We have 2 young starters who are injury prone. I wouldn't not trade either for Melo, should be able to pick him up for a bag of chips. But I do think they need to package Ball and Ingram up (no surprise I say that, been saying it all along, and looking more and more like I was right again lol) for someone who can help this team and stay on the floor.


BaadMaster
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8103
votes: 98

Warren Buffett (not Jimmy Buffett or 24 Hour Buffet) says, Buy Low, Sell High. I would unload (as Shepherd suggests) Ingy and Zoey for a durable players who can work with LeBron.

I am sure Rich Paul can make this happen.


Tempy
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12228
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif
votes: 46

Shepherd wrote:
Randle isn't even starting, after getting that big contract. And he's on a losing team. Coulda/woulda/shoulda ,huh Randle?

What big contract lol he is getting $8.6m


Shepherd
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 10542

ez.gif
votes: 53

Tempy wrote:
What big contract lol he is getting $8.6m

ONLY? lol...I'll take it. I guess it was more $ and more years than LA or anyone else was offering. So for him that was his big deal.

If he'd gotten over hisself tho and stuck around he'd be looking good playing small ball center with LBJ right about now.


Tempy
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12228
Location: El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles
calif.gif
votes: 46

Shepherd wrote:
ONLY? lol...I'll take it. I guess it was more $ and more years than LA or anyone else was offering. So for him that was his big deal.

If he'd gotten over hisself tho and stuck around he'd be looking good playing small ball center with LBJ right about now.

Well the Lakers are paying KCP $12m so in the relative sense, yes only 8.6m. I'd gladly take that too lol


Shepherd
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 10542

ez.gif
votes: 53

Tempy wrote:
Well the Lakers are paying KCP $12m so in the relative sense, yes only 8.6m. I'd gladly take that too lol

Yes well the Lakers often overpay the players they shouldn't, and underpay the ones who should make more, such that they tend to leave. Old habits die hard.


userpete1037
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 18293
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif
votes: 18

Just saw on ESPN Lakers trying to land Trevor Ariza in a 3 way trade. Believe they're trying to get rid of KCP.


VS
LNS HOF Bronze
Posts: 8007

us.gif
votes: 52

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2549 ... -way-trade

Well, he was good for us 10 years ago, was still a useful player for Houston last year, haven’t watched him much this year. Would love to see that KCP contract used for a more useful player, but this would at least allow us to maintain 2019 cap space.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 13267
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 20

userpete1037 wrote:
Just saw on ESPN Lakers trying to land Trevor Ariza in a 3 way trade. Believe they're trying to get rid of KCP.

If all this leads to AD, sign me up for funny farm Pete. Lol


gemfow
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12128
Location: Maryland
us.gif
votes: 179

Shepherd wrote:
Yes well the Lakers often overpay the players they shouldn't, and underpay the ones who should make more, such that they tend to leave. Old habits die hard.
Yep, we overpaid for Beasley, Rondo and Stephenson but didn't want to pay Randle who poured in 28 points with 6 boards and 5 assists today. The kid is averaging 25 points as a starter and it looks like Gentry is having him start going forward. I'd love for just some media person with balls enough to start asking why Magic let him walk for absolutely nothing.


userpete1037
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 18293
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif
votes: 18

kkennon1 wrote:
If all this leads to AD, sign me up for funny farm Pete. Lol

[tweet]https://twitter.com/josh2saint/status/1071930762792919040[/quot e:bcdd4b2a39[/tweet]]

Lol...I guess we'll see then....lol.


gemfow
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 12128
Location: Maryland
us.gif
votes: 179

Shepherd wrote:
Randle isn't even starting, after getting that big contract. And he's on a losing team. Coulda/woulda/shoulda ,huh Randle?
He didn't have to start here either. It'a about productivity, not starting. It's not as if Mirotic can't play, he's a good player too.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 13267
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 20

gemfow wrote:
He didn't have to start here either. It'a about productivity, not starting. It's not as if Mirotic can't play, he's a good player too.

Rumors were if true, that Randle didn't want to come off bench here, didn't think he'd have a big enough role on Lakers.

With Lebron at PF, he was probably right.

Still Lakers should have signed him before last season, at least they could have gotten something for him.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 13267
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 20

userpete1037 wrote:
Lol...I guess we'll see then....lol.

My Christmas wish!!!

Except for Kuz still there with Ariza off bench. Lol


userpete1037
LNS HOF Gold
Posts: 18293
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif
votes: 18

^^^

I'd hate to lose Kuz but if we were to get AD, hate goes away....lmao.


kkennon1
LNS HOF Silver
Posts: 13267
Location: Phoenix, AZ
us.gif
votes: 20

userpete1037 wrote:
^^^

I'd hate to lose Kuz but if we were to get AD, hate goes away....lmao.

I hear you !!!

On another note:

How about them Cowboys!!!!


userpete1037
LNS HOF Gold
 Avatar
Posts: 18293
Location: Kobe, Kalifornia
us.gif
votes: 18

kkennon1 wrote:
I hear you !!!

On another note:

How about them Cowboys!!!!

Coop is the real deal!!!!…..Dak got to get his accuracy together as a whole. Missed Gallup too many times.


Options Quick Reply: RE: The Official Lakers Trade Ideas Thread
register
You are an anonymous user- or .
Quote the last message
Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)
Notify me when a reply is posted
Don't Check Spelling
Note: Twitter & Youtube BBCODE Tags are no longer necessary. The system will automatically convert links to tweets & youtube videos.
   
 
Go To the Top of the ThreadGo Home
Post new topic   Reply to topic
register
You are an anonymous user- Register now or Log in Now!


Add our Los Angeles Lakers Blog RSS Feed, the Lakers Rumors RSS Feed, the Lakers News RSS feed, and the Lakers Forum RSS feed to get the latest Laker News and Rumors and Lakers Game info in your RSS/XML reader!